Bird Watching...Please Share Your Joy

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Bird Watching...Please Share Your Joy

Postby FrodoTook » Mon May 05, 2008 6:58 pm

Bird Watching is a fairly new passion of mine but it is quickly becoming a major one for me.

It started around a year ago with one tube feeder when I lived in central North Carolina.

I now live in Surfside Beach, South Carolina and I now have 8 feeders ( including my 2 suet feeders ) and 4 water oasis...trying to cater to as many birds as possible.

I am working on my "life list"..listing the birds I have seen in my backyard which I now know the common name of but I have moved quickly even deeper...giving the birds I have grown to know more personal names.

They have become very dear to me...They trust me and that feels good...I am looking forward to one of them eating out of my hand...It will happen and I will be ecstatic...a highlight of my life...I will probably cry tears of joy.

as of now, I have grown to know...

Mr and Mrs

Cardinal..I have seen the male share food with his mate..very cool.

TitMouse

with his / her good friend

the

Carolina Chick-A-Dee

White Breasted Nut Hatch..running "head first" down the tree...to cool.

Brown Thrasher...handsome

Eastern Towhee....with his rusty ( rufous ) underwings

Blue Jay...so pretty..I have read that Euros are amazed that we are so lucky to have such a beautiful bird to see.

just to name a few

I have to mention the Wood Peckers

The

Red Headed..A truely beautiful bird..So Vividly ( and cleanly ) Red, White and Black...which I know now will dive bomb a Grackle...driving it away from it's favorite feeder...( another reason to have many ( spread out ) feeders )

Downy

Red Bellied

I love the Common Grackle and Mourning Dove too.

All in my back yard 8)

They are all so very special to me...as are the squirrels who have been a special challenge :wink: and joy. I feed them too.

I am thinking of buying a camera just for capturing a fond memory of the variety of these beautiful beings who are adding much joy to my life.

As with other things..like stars...which I once took for granted...I am once again taking the tiime to thoroughly enjoy those things right in front of me.

Things which make life good for me.

I would like to share a vivid memory from an avid birder...

From Roger Tory Peterson...whose Field Guide I just bought today.

That spring I saw a bird, exhausted from it's migration, like a lump of brown feathers.

I poked it.

"I saw the red patch on it's head and those wild eyes in the moment before it flew away....The contrast between what I thought was dead and what was very much alive made an enormous impression on me. It was like a resurrection that touched me deeply...that ever since then birds seem...to me...the most vivid expression of life.

Please share your joy of Birding.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Lithtaur16 » Tue May 06, 2008 9:52 pm

Hi FrodoTook!
:) Fall migration is a special time at my house. We always keep every feeder stocked to help them along. And the trees are shedding their leaves so that it's easier to see who's come around.
Ever since 2004 (the 17-year cicada invasion) though the birding has been especially satisfying. Every year another kind finds out that our neighborhood is a good place to find a meal (seed or beetles) and a safe bush or tree to roost in. My secret goal is to slowly make my parents yard more forest than grass... :whistle: Reminding them how many birds and butterflies keep coming around is helpful. :)

Only two of the birds I've seen have names because I'm quite certain these particular individuals have flown through our yard every year for the past five years or so, unless they led nest mates and offspring through too.
They are Cooper Peddy and Little Guy, a cooper hawk and a white-breasted nuthatch respectively. There has been another nuthatch coming around with the first for two years so I think Little Guy (or girl of course :oops: )has found a mate. :)

Most of the woodies come around Fall too and hang around the same swamp maples and poplars as Little Guy.
We've had Downies, red-heads, flickers, and a Pilated. I was especially happy to get my first view of the pilated. I thought it was a crow until I saw the red head. :shock: I ran out the back door to spot him hopping around the poplars for a second before he/she flew off. That woody's been back at least once and I think it has a mate and is nesting because my cat caught a flying squirrel once. I'd never seen one around before but they're supposed to like Pilated's holes so there must be more of both around.

You start seeing the chickadees, blue jays, titmice, and juncos most frequently during migration. The blue jays, chickadees, cardinals and juncos (and crows) make up the brunt of my nieghborhood's winter population.

I've been loving the springs since the cicadas came around though and this spring migration was especially satisfying.
About five years ago I found a cedar waxwing with a broken foot sitting on the track at school. I had never seen them around this area before--so sad to see my first one in such a predicament. :( I took it to the vets so they could send it to the wildlife rescue center. I can only hope they were able to do something for it besides put it down. Anyway I haven't seen the like of him since then... until late this March. :) I was driving up into the lot behind school when I noticed a flock of birds eating at a berry bush on the corner. Were they sparrows? No, too big. Were they doves... too small. Then while I was slowing I finally spotted the waxy yellow color on the tail and was able to take a good look at the crest and profile of one that flew up into the bush. :) It was a whole flock of waxwings, 40-50 of them. Next year I will make sure to get berries from that bush before the birds get all of them because that's what they did. I went back the next morning and the berries were gone and the birds had flown elsewhere.

Also, this year I might have my first bluebird sighting in the backyard. :) He was the bluest bird I'd ever seen besides a jay and I didn't see a crest or the typical darker markings. Oddly this first sighting also comes after a poor baby got checked into a rehab center. :( Think that fell out of the nest. I'm checking up on the little one next week.

Why did the cicadas make birding better?
I was very small when I saw my first goldfinches. I rounded a corner on my bike and before I knew what I was looking at there was just a splash of gold moving in front of my eyes. :) Five birds--I didn't see their like again until late in 2004's summer. They've come back every spring now that Dad's been keeping thistle in the feeders to keep them around.
The first new birds I saw come in during the invasion though were the mockingbirds. :) I was so happy when I got a good look at the white spots on the wings and started to hear them calling every day.

The past two years we've had a pair of wrens trying to nest around the house. The first attempt was in a... high traffic part of the porch and it was very funny. One of them would be perched overhead of the nearest intruder squaking a warning and the other would be doing the same on the nest. :) They would come as near as three feet away to try and tell you off. I'm watching the feeder hoping they come back and pick a better spot away in some bushes. They're certainly more welcome than we apparently are. :rofl:

Recent Ellicott City Bird List:
Cooper Hawk
Black Vulture

Blacl-capped Chickadee
Downy Woodpecker
Red-headed Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pilated Woodpecker
Mourning Dove
American Robin
White-breasted Nuthatch
Dark-eyed Junco
Blue Jay
Northern Cardinal
House Sparrow
Wrens (Carolina pair?)
Eastern Bluebird (?)
American Goldfinch
Lesser Goldfinch (possible but difficult to differentiate)
Catbird
Nothern Mockingbird
Ruby-throated Hummingbird and other brownish hummers

Other Maryland Birds sighted:
Red-tailed Hawk
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Cedar Waxwing

Calls Heard:
Juvenile Bald Eagle (Susquehanna River trip)

North Carolina Bird Sightings: :D
Two kinds of terns- one nesting pair that looked strongly like Arctic terns, maybe lessers? Also several individuals with strong eye cresting and marks

Killdeer
Osprey
Bald Eagle nest (no birds)
Black Skimmer
Black-headed gulls
Herring Gulls
Pelicans!! :D
Ibis (Bald? White?)
Scarlet Ibis

UK- Jackdaw, Ravens, first Black-headed gull sighting

Australia:
Galahs
Sulphur crested cockatoos
Whistling Kite
Brahminy Kite
Laughing Kookabura
A crested dove of sorts
Rainbow lorikeets
Noddies
Australian Pelicans
small cormorants

Colorado Birds:
Mallard
Canada Goose
Red-tailed Hawk
Northern Flicker
Steller's Jay
American Crow
Common Raven
American Robin
Chickadee of some sort...
Downy Woodpecker
Sparrows
Last edited by Lithtaur16 on Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby FrodoTook » Wed May 07, 2008 3:16 pm

Hello Lithtaur :)

Thank you so much for that wonderful post.

I can feel ( and share ) your passion.

Thank you for introducing me to Cooper Peddy and Little Guy. Very cool.

I am very impressed by ( and envy ) your life list. You have seen some great birds in many locations. This is all still very new to me and I am having so much fun...learning to identify the birds I see and watching their individual ( some very unique ) behaviors. I am sure I have seen many of them before but they were "just" birds then. Now it is more personal and very fulfilling.

You spoke of the woodies you have seen. I am looking forward to seeing my first Pilated...very much so. I adore the Red Headeds, Downys and Bed Bellieds that do visit me.

I have started keeping a journal over the past few days and want to share something...

Around a week ago I noticed a Male Cardinal feeding his mate some seed from one of my feeders. I thought that was too cool. From what I have read spring time is breeding time for them. I wondered if the male was not only trying to show that he would be a good provider for her but also for potential babys.

On a similar note...There has been a solitary Brown Thrasher visiting me for around a month. Yesterday I was thrilled to see 4 of them together. Two of them were spreading and lifting their wings at each other. I am guessing these were males. Later , one of them chased off the other then he turned to start feeding suet to the two which remained. I am guessing these two were females. Today I had two Brown Thrashers...One feeding the other bread crumbs which I finally got around to offering.

I thought that was cool to see.

===========

Also...you mentioned a Bald Eagle. There is one which lives in the woods behind the store I work in. I am a receiver at a grocery store and can go outside the backdoor whenever I have time. Anyhow, I went outside around 9am one morning not long ago and there in the back lot was the Bald Eagle. He was around 50 feet away from me on the pavement. He had a fish in one claw. I just stood there and watched him until he finally flew back into the woods...fish in tow. 8) I had seen the Eagle flying around before but this time I could see him / her really well.

It was great.

I gotta go now but I will be back to post more thoughts on your post...thanks again...and to share more of my own.

Really nice to meet you Lithtaur :) I hope you come back and share more...plus I hope others will join in on this thread.

ps: I live only 5 blocks from the beach ( I live in Surfside Beach, SC ) so
identifying the shore birds is on my agenda as well.

I think I live in a wonderful location for Birding.
Last edited by FrodoTook on Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Lithtaur16 » Thu May 08, 2008 5:47 am

:) Nice to meet you too.

FrodoTook wrote:Hello Lithtaur :)
I am sure I have seen many of them before but they were "just" birds then. Now it is more personal and very fulfilling.

That was how my dad thoght until some of the more colorful birds started hanging around. I guess he likes them fancy because that's when he started to appreciate them enough to put up nest boxes and feeders.

I didn't see any thrashers down in NC last summer but I was hanging around the barrier islands. Are they mostly mainlanders?
And I hope you have better luck IDing shorebirds than I did. :) There were at lest two kinds on the beach that I saw and I ended up calling them tall and short sandpipers. :lol: All I could see was their height and mottled brown feathering--they never let me get close enough for a good look. I did get some pics though. :) If I get a chance I'll put them up.

:rofl: :D I would be jealous but I'd rather be happy for you. You're so lucky to have seen an eagle so close! I was happy just to be close enough to hear the call. I've only ever seen them up close in zoos. :( Not a good place for birds.
Was it a full adult or a juvie? :)

The bluebird sighting is confirmed! :D Even better it's a pair and they might be showing interest in the box behind the shed. Apparently dad's seen them hanging around for about a week and I think I'll have him look at some of the houses build with a better hole size. I've heard they are rather picky about where they set up house.
I'm also considering putting the kitty on house arrest for awhile... that whole species has been through the wringer at least once and they certainly don't need her tubby company.

Have to go turn in a final. :) Talk to you more later!
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby lark » Tue May 13, 2008 8:25 am

Hello Lithtaur and FrodoTook! it’s very nice to meet you both! :)

I love birds and have been watching them most of my life which has been spent in Indiana, Kentucky and now Ohio. This is always an exciting time of year when we go from watching and feeding the beautiful birds of winter to the swallows and hummers of summer. My kids love looking for bird nests on our farm and observing the parents take care of their little ones. They’re all so awesome! :D

I must confess, I have a “pet” cardinal that my daughter found on the ground as a chick. We couldn’t find his nest or a parent bird anywhere, so we took him in and fed him. I know (in this state anyway) you’re not supposed to care for wild birds without a license but I just couldn’t bear to let him starve or freeze or be eaten by a predator. :( We breed chickens, ducks, peasants, quail and, more recently, pea-foul, and my sister hand raises parrots, so I know a little about baby birds. :wink: We kept him over the winter and he’s still incredibly tame. Now that the weather is warming up, I’m hoping to start taking him outside a little at a time and hopefully rehabilitating him to live on his own in the wild. :)

I have a question about barn swallows that I’m wondering if either of you can answer. In the four years that we’ve lived on this farm, it seems like the busier our barn gets, the more the swallows like it. Has anyone else observed this? We only had two goats out there our first spring, and though there was evidence that barn swallows had nested there in the past, we didn’t see any. The next two years, our goat herd grew as did the activity level, and the swallows returned. There first clutch was unsuccessful and we found the dead chicks on the floor of the barn. I’m not sure what happened. The next year they raised a lovely clutch of four chicks. We had a great time watching and photographing them. This year we have added horses to our family and there’s more activity then ever in the barn. I swear the swallows like it! It’s not unusual for there to be four or five at a time swooping around the barn (which isn’t all that big) and landing on doors while I’m opening them! I guess it makes sense. More farm animals wandering around would mean less predators like snakes and raccoons. Even my barn cats don’t like to get underfoot of the horses. I was just wondering if anyone else has observed anything like this? :?
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby Lithtaur16 » Tue May 20, 2008 10:29 pm

Hi Lark! :)
:D Fewer predators does make sense Have you noticed an increase in the number of flies and mossies around your barn too though, since you started adding new members to your family? I think the swallows would be attracted by a larger food source.

BTW, Little Guy or his offspring visited today. I spotted him hopping around the same swamp maple. I'll have to watch more regularly over the next couple of years because this is a little unusual. Unless I just totally missed his visits, pretty likely, I've never seen him outside of migration season. He's welcome to all the bugs he can find though. :)

I'm not sure what the wrens are up to but we have bluebirds nesting in the backyard box, catbirds in the bushes and mockers in the holly tree. :) Everyone's a very good kind of busy obviously. :lol: I need to invest in a good set of binoculars to look for babies. :) I also need to remind dad that there is to be no peeking into the box. :roll: :x He's terribly nosey sometimes (excited kind of nosey) and I don't know if he learned his lesson after the robin's nest episode from last year...
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby Lithtaur16 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:02 pm

I think I can add American Oystercatcher to the list now. :)
I went back to Topsail for the release and took a Sunday to go birdwatching. I think it was too early in the season for Skimmers (didn't see any) but everyone else was there plus the Oystercatchers.

I got pictures and a grainy video of our local tern fishing too.

Video: http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p7/Bintilith/th_DSCF5323.jpg

Edit- Sorry the pics had to be moved. I'll re-edit the links sometime in the future, just not sure when.
Last edited by Lithtaur16 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby Lithtaur16 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:04 pm

I can add Magpies and the Stellar's Jay to my seen list. I can't wait to try and catch the crane fly-out next year and see what kind of birding the parks around here have. :) My shiny new camera should help even though I still need a proper telephoto lens for it. :shock: Those lenses are twice and three times as expensive than the camera was.
We also have resident mallards and flickers at the apartmets. :)
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby NimrodelSong » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:24 am

Hello everyone!

I don't have a lot of time right at the moment but I wanted to check in as an official bird lover/watcher. Please count me in! I'll check back in later.

~Nim~
NimrodelSong
Kentucky Woman

Postby the mouth of sauron » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:34 am

Hi FrodoTook, I had a thread similar to this in TALK I wonder if I find and put the links in if you could move the post here? If not I could bring it to the top over there and put the link from here in there get the people to post here?

Davey.

I found the old one from TALK http://forums.theonering.com/viewtopic.php?t=98246&highlight=

I will let the guys know about this thread.
the mouth of sauron
Mariner

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:21 pm

:D

My claim to fame this past year was hearing, then seeing, then snapping a pic of a yellow-breasted chat.

He wasn't in my yard. His habitat is more suited to a scrubby, wooded, hilly, place with some small fields too.

And here are some other photos from this past year...

bluebird ..

baby house finch...

ring neck pheasant...

goldfinch....

Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby Lithtaur16 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:34 pm

Since Flicker seems a hundred times more user friendly (or maybe just less busy, hence faster) than photobucket, I'll be putting a lot of pics there.

Starting with the first magpie I saw when I got to Denver, CO. :) I'll be dragging my camera to work though since it seems to be a magnet for these beautiful birds. Maybe I can get a closer pic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lithtaur16/?saved=1
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:03 am

For folks in the US or Canada.... this little event is coming up:

http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc/

I've done this for about the past 5 years.
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby the mouth of sauron » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:53 pm

FrodoTook I have been deeply touched by your passion in your first and following posts....

I too have a great love for birds in particular and most other animals in general and am often held captive by the majisty of the stars above...

I think I get my love of birds from my uncle who lives on a farm and has tamed many birds to the point of eathing out of his hands... Though there are many breeds that are just to skittish for that. His favorites would be the Australian Magpie, The Butcher bird, blue wrens, bush pigdeions and choughs.

I have a strong desire to get to the point where I can hand feed and befriend the birds where I live and where I work.

I have a feeding pair of Maggpies and their young who feed, bath and forage in our yard... they have the most beautiful warbble... I often talk to them and in someways its like they talk back to me sometimes :) I feel so blessed.

I also went to managenment and asked them if I could put a birdbath and bird atrackting trees.... Not only did they say yes but they gave me $300 to do so :)

Every bird I get to know seems to have its own temrement and ticks... Just a marvel to behold :)

I brought myself a Nikon D60 (camera) the other day and it is so user friendly and takes the most beauitful pictures...

Lithtaur16 Thank you for sharing your beautiful heart towards our beloved avian friends :)

I take it you were in Australia to see the birds you did? If so I hope my country men made you and your family feel most welcome.

lark :hihi: I think you are on the right track with the swallows... they build numerous mud nests around the living quarters of my uncles house, which just happens to be the most active part of the homestead.

I also used to raise chickens and ducks... I had a black red cross chicken, who I used to call chook chook (a chook is what Aussies refer to when talking about chickens) she used to hop on my shoulder and go every where with me :love:

Lol I lost a little bantem chicken once and just figured a fox or ferrale cat must have got her... then about three weeks later she emerged from know where with 16 chicks in tow...... :shock:

Tookish_Traveler Your pictures are stunning! I am really drawn to the cute picture of the baby house finch.... awwww

I could look at those pictures all day long...

I will include a list of the birds I have seen in a later post...

I should get a book and keep track.... And I love your idea of a journal.

Davey.
the mouth of sauron
Mariner

Postby NimrodelSong » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:29 pm

Tookish Traveler, LOVED your pics! I simply adore finches! Thanks for putting those up.

~Nim~
NimrodelSong
Kentucky Woman

Postby the mouth of sauron » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:49 am

Ah.... Nim. I missed you there... My deepest and sincerest apologies... You are such a blessing.

I do so look forwards to your tails :D

Davey.
the mouth of sauron
Mariner

Postby Lithtaur16 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:21 am

the mouth of sauron wrote:
Lithtaur16 Thank you for sharing your beautiful heart towards our beloved avian friends :)

I take it you were in Australia to see the birds you did? If so I hope my country men made you and your family feel most welcome.

I was a long time ago--July 2001 with a People to People ambassadors group. :) And your folk were wonderful. I'm definitely working on going back since I didn't get a chance to visit Kakadu or anywhere really inland. We pretty much bussed down the East coast: Brisbane and Lady Musgrave Island, Tweed Head, Tamworth, and Sydney.

I was joked with recently because they taught us how to make a couple of bird calls while we were there. :) Something to do on the coach for a few hours of traveling. Apparently I can do a kookabura pretty well because when I went to visit the Maryland Zoo I was one of a few that could get the funny little feather duster to laugh. One of the staff had a little male out as a part of an outreach program or something. He was talking about the bird and tried making the call himself but Kookie wasn't buying it. :lol: So I gave it a shot. Two repeats in I think he would have kept asking me to demonstrate but me and my sis gave our hundred excuses and went to check out the polar bears.
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby the mouth of sauron » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:47 am

It brings a smile to my face that the people here treated you well... And i would place Kakadu very high on your list of places to go.... I spent most of my life just a stones throw away from there.... Though I must say that its beauty is only matched by its many dangers...

I love Kookaburas.... They are the largest of the Kingfisher family and the laugh they make is a wanring call to other males saying "He mate your on my turf!" So this little male has seen you as competition... you should be flattered :rofl:

:) you should be proud of yourself... there are many Aussies that think there good at imatating them, though however.... they are not quite there ;)

I hope do make it back here one day.

Davey.
the mouth of sauron
Mariner

Postby the mouth of sauron » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:51 pm

As I said... I would make a list of Aussie birds that i have seen... Here it is. :)

AUSTRALIAN KING PARROT
Australian Magpie
AUSTRALIAN PELICAN
Australian Raven
Bustard
White Ibis (Which I believe migrate here from Russia)
Wood Duck
Black Kite
Jabaro (Black necked Stork)
Black Swan
Blue faced Honeyeater
Brown cuckoo Dove
Brown Falcon
Brown Quail
Bush stone Curlew
Cattle Egret
Chestnut Teal
Collared Sparrow Hawk
Comb crested Jacana
Crested Pigeon
Common Starling
Common Myna
Crimson Rosella
Darter
Dollarbird
Dusky Moorhen
Eastern reef Egret
Eastern Rosella
Emu
Galah
Great Cormorant
Great Egret
Grey Butcherbird
Ground Thrush
House Sparrow :roll:
Laughing Kookaburra
Lewin's Honeyeater
Little black Cormorant
Little Corella
Little Wattlebird
Long-billed Black Cockatoo
Magpie Goose
Magpie Lark
Mallard
Masked Lapwing
Nankeen Kestrel
Osprey
Pacific Black Duck
Pacific Gull
Peregrine Falcon
Pied Butcherbird
Pied Currawong
Purple Swamphen
Rainbow lorikeet
Red Wattlebird
Royal Spoonbill
Sacred Kingfisher
Silvereye
Silver Gull
Singing Honeyeater
Spotted Turtle Dove
Straw necked Ibis
Sulphur crested Cockatoo
Superb Fairy-wren
Tawny Frogmouth (heard but not seen)
Torresian Crow
Wedge tailed Eagle (all most my favourite Australian bird.)
Welcome Swallow
Whistling kite
White bellied Sea Eagle
White cheeked Honeyeater
White Faced Heron
White Necked Heron
White plumed Honeyeater
White throated Honeyeater
Willie Wagtail
Yellow billed Spoonbill
Yellow throated Miner
Zebra Finch

To make it easy on myself and to make a more accurate list I got the names from this website http://www.birdphotos.com.au/default10.html Sadly they do not have all the birds I have seen so I will add more later and a little that I have learned or eperianced. Davey.
the mouth of sauron
Mariner

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:58 am

Hee.

At o'dark-thirty this morning, I was out in the cold so the mutt could do his business, and I was refilling the bird feeders. Somewhere off in the trees I could hear the Great Horned Owl hooting. :D

It's been a while since I heard him. Glad he's still around.

8)

Testing imgur! Cute meeces! :D

July is PAR-TAY month!!! We celebrate the return of TORC!!!!111

---------------------------------

Watch my (low budget) movie
here!!!

For more fun, watch this video! ->

Star Trek meets Monty Python!!
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby the mouth of sauron » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:55 am

Tookie I'm glad you posted here I was afraid that I had killed the thread :(

I showed my old age uncle the pictures you posted and he loved them... He loves birds no matter what they are... as far as he know inter-net is where the fish are :rofl:

I always find owles spooky... but a friend like that would be a welcomed sound I would imagine....

My back yard was invaded by pardalopes (one of Australias smallest birds, seeing as we do not have humming birds :( ) they are so beautiful to watch and have the sweetest song.... :love:

Davey.
the mouth of sauron
Mariner

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:23 am

Glad you enjoyed the pics. I will try to get more of some different ones. :D:D

I never got a photo of the owl, since I only hear them at night. Here is what they look like...

Out where I saw the Yellow-breasted chat there is a big Barred Owl. I tried getting a photo but he was too far away. His 'song' is very different from the Great Horned Owl....some say he sounds like a barking dog!! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barred_owl

oof. Guess I should get back to work.

8)
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby the mouth of sauron » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:17 am

It's the eyes that do it.... cant look at them for to long.... very freaky....

Tookie.... I take it you have your pictures on a web site, if so is a free hosting site?

Just trying to find a free site where I can up load my pictures to.

Davey.
the mouth of sauron
Mariner

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:12 pm

The one bird I watch for each year is the American Robin because it is the herald of spring and usually so welcome when it finally shows.

The winter bird I love to see is the Trumpeter Swan that flies in to spend the winter here. Huge flocks of them come in each year.

The Canadian Geese are fun ones to watch since I know they bring with them the little Hummingbirds for the spring, hidden in their down, a hitchhiker so they don't starve to death on their travels of migration.

The Hummingbirds appear in late March and are here for a month or so then move into the woods. They return just before the migration back south with the Canadian Geese. They hibernate both at night to conserve energy and when they travel south in their migration with the Canadian Geese, nestled safely in the down.
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby the mouth of sauron » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:27 am

Vana you are a wealth of infomation... I never knew that aboot the Hummingbirds and the Canadian Geese... I will be sure to tell my uncel about that... I think he would love to sit and listen to everone here in this thread.

Davey.
the mouth of sauron
Mariner

Postby truehobbit » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:52 am

Can I join you guys? I love watching birds, too. :D

I'd like to know how Tooks snatches those awesome pics of them, they'll never sit still for long enough for me, and if I take a pic from very far away, well, the results aren't great.

Over here, I mostly see (roughly in order of frequency)

magpies (European)
blackbirds (European)
pigeons
rooks (my knowledge here is sadly deficient, I can't tell whether it's ravens, crows, rooks or whatever other similar species)
sparrows
great tits (sorry, I'm not responsible for that daft name!)
starlings
robins (European)
redstarts
seagulls (two different kinds, but, again, I don't know their names)
green finches
chaffinches
herons
some birds of prey I'd love to be able to name, but I haven't a clue how to tell them apart
pheasants

Two recent pics:

I love how the finches learn to imitate the tits to get at the food:

This fellow (who looks a lot more impressive in reality than in the pic, I think) has been visiting us almost daily for the past couple of weeks ( looking a bit funny when he sits on a tiny twig).

truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:34 am

Oh yesterday I saw 4 american robins in my yard digging and picking up worms. I know spring is coming now!!! :clap: I love watching them as they hop around the yard!!!

American Robin
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:48 pm

the mouth of sauron wrote:It's the eyes that do it.... cant look at them for to long.... very freaky....

Tookie.... I take it you have your pictures on a web site, if so is a free hosting site?

Just trying to find a free site where I can up load my pictures to.

Davey.

I use photobucket.... :D

I have butterflies and moths there too...:D

Another house finch...

chickadee....

One of Vana's robins....

Titmouse...

nuthatch...

An odd-looking bird in one of the feeders...

and....

...wait. He doesn't count. :D
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby the mouth of sauron » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:59 pm

Oh my goodness..... they are beautiful.........My eye's nearly popped out and my heart missed a beat

The birds and butterflys, squirrel and not to mention the stupid Aussie Budgie :rofl:

Are just so breath taking... My uncle will just love looking at these!

Ummm what is photobucket?

What kind of camera are you useing (lens, modle, filters..ect)

Wow I really like the Chickadee and titmouse :love:

Davey...
the mouth of sauron
Mariner

Postby the mouth of sauron » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:39 am

Thanks TT found it and have signed up.... looks like a great site....

Thank for your help as well Vana :hug:

Now I can share some pictures I have taken myself :)

Davey.
the mouth of sauron
Mariner

Next

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth