Bird Watching...Please Share Your Joy

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby Dunthule » Fri May 22, 2009 9:21 am

Hi Tookish_Traveler!
Alas, no orchards near by. But there is a large park just a few blocks away and I was hoping that would entice some Orioles. Maybe soon!
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby Lithtaur16 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:07 am

My roommate and neighbors have been busy recently. :) We went out to Gunnison's Black Canyon Park, Lookout Mountain, Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park and Mt. Evans in the last two weeks. Didn't always have the best conditions for photography and I need to get a back-up battery and memory card... but it's been an awesome time to see new birds. :)

White-crowned Sparrow
Wilson's Warbler
Grey-headed Dark-eyed Junco
Clark's Nutcracker
Mountain Bluebird (? just a glimpse)

Not birds just still awesome, I saw my first moose and ground squirrels and my roommate got a picture of a pika. :)
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby basil » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:33 am

Twitter-tweet, L!

:)

I haven't been able to find time lately to do a bit of bird-watching, as I have done from time to time.

But, I saw this piece about an avian family I thought you'd like.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildli ... hicks.html

basil
Mariner

Postby Lithtaur16 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:41 pm

Oh goodness, Basil! That's too cute! :) An awesome momma! Thanks for sharing! And thanks for your support in the Philosophy thread. :) I really appreciate what you and everyone else have said. I'll try to stop in tomorrow if my connection allows.

Some more pics to the photostream. :) My zoom lens is about to start earning it's keep now that I've been accepted to a stock photography site.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lithtaur16/3587273839/
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Re: Bird Watching...Please Share Your Joy

Postby FrodoTook » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:44 pm

Popping in to say I am so glad I found this thread again. I love all of the pictures and joy of birds all of you have shared.

I recently moved to a new place with a gloriously big back yard with lots of trees. I put up my feeders, after being impatiently prompted by my daughter, and recently saw to my great joy some new birds.

A pileated Wood Pecker

and

a Blue Bird.

Please continue to share your joy of birds.
Last edited by FrodoTook on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:18 am

I have been enjoying the Trumpeter Swans that are staying near our home this winter. It is so great to drive by and see all the young swans and the tall majesty of the older ones.

Also the Bald Eagles are back and soaring the skies around us. I love watching them as they perch in the tree outside my window. I love the regal birds and have come to love all of nature outside my window!!!
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Dunthule » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:15 am

Hey, is anyone else participating in Cornell's Project Feeder Watch?
This is my first year and it's been a lot of fun.
I never realized how many different types of birds frequent our feeder.
It get's a bit exciting when the sharp shinned hawk shows up for dinner. ;)
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby FrodoTook » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:22 pm

Dunthule wrote:It get's a bit exciting when the sharp shinned hawk shows up for dinner. ;)

Wow Dunny. I have read before of this "happening" but have not yet experienced it.

I have seen a couple of hawks within the past two years..both times they flew in front of my car as I was driving..a special treat. :)
One had a rodent in tow. 8) I do believe one was a sharp shinned hawk or possibly a red shouldered one.

But I have never "seen" a hawk "visit" my backyard.

But do think a hawk, one which I didn't actually see, was near my back yard recently.

While sitting in my back yard I "heard" something and looking toward the sound saw some feathers flowing down from a tree.

I found myself thinking.."A bird did not just explode". "Something is popping the feathers off it"

I looked in vain for the bird of prey. I even got out my binoculars and still could not locate it in the tree.

This happened during the day time so I think it was a hawk..not an owl..which tore into a bird.

I well remember the sound and the feathers flowing down like snow.

Beautiful..and wonderful to see...in its unique way.

I so wish I could have seen the bird of prey...what ever it was.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:48 pm

WE have Hawks all along our road over the seven miles to town. We have had fun counting them as we trek along. Our Hawks are tagged and numbered. I have seen the one tagged 16 sitting beside the road very clearly. I know that some are Red Tail and also a Harrier Hawk. WE have Eagles and also Morning Doves, Oriels and Hummingbirds as well. The hummingbirds are hitting my feeders already so I expect the Oriels will be here soon too. The Robins and the Sparrows tend to tease my kitty sitting in her window.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Dunthule » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:33 am

FrodoTook wrote:
I found myself thinking.."A bird did not just explode". "Something is popping the feathers off it"

LOL FT!! :lol: :lol:

Hi Vanny! :)

Fantastic to hear you see hummingbirds. We normally do not see the hummers until late April.
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:00 am

I have one here already who is as round as he is long. LOL

edited to add:
Today the little hummingbird sat for a long time on my wind chime and preened himself. He was fluffing his feathers and cleaning his beak against the wind chime. I have never seen them do that before. It was quite interesting to watch this little fellow. I love that I can sit and play on my computer and watch his antics. :D I got pictures too.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Dunthule » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:48 pm

Vanaladiel wrote:I have one here already who is as round as he is long. LOL

edited to add:
Today the little hummingbird sat for a long time on my wind chime and preened himself. He was fluffing his feathers and cleaning his beak against the wind chime. I have never seen them do that before. It was quite interesting to watch this little fellow. I love that I can sit and play on my computer and watch his antics. :D I got pictures too.

How neat! The fact the little fellow was still enough for pics is a rare treat. 8)
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:54 am

I now have two hummingbirds who are whizzing past my windows and fighting for the right to the feeders. That of course is why I have at least two out, so they each can get some of the food. It brings me great job to watch them out there.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby FrodoTook » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:33 pm

Hey Vana

We had people company all week and one of them saw a hummingbird visit the one hummingbird feeder I own. Unfortunately I was inside the house at the time. I do plan to get another hummingbird feeder.

But I did see two different types of birds this week which were new for me in my current backyard.

I saw 4 Goldfinches. One was a male and his body was "Very Bright Yellow" in contrast to his jet black wings. Seeing them thrilled me. Very cool.

I also saw a Catbird. The first one I have seen in 5 years and the first one in my current backyard. It, or one very much like it, has visited for the past 4 days..enjoying suet.
A pretty, sleek, medium sized bird...slate grey with a black cap. I heard it "meow". 8) Yes, I was thrilled again.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:26 am

Very cool FT!! If the hummingbird just found the feeder it will probably be back each day and you may get better opportunities to see it and others as they find your feeder. Is it where the sun can shine on it during the day at all? It does not need full sun but if the sun hits it at least some of the day, they will see it! Good luck hon!!

I cant wait for the other birds to return. The robins, morning doves and eagles are about again.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Dunthule » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:23 pm

Have any of you ever seen Robins and Starlings gathering together?
I see that often in the Winter.
I remember one time there were about 50 birds in our backyard. At first glance I thought they were starlings, but upon closer examination I realized that about 15 of them were Robins. Now that is what I would call a strange friendship. :)
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:07 pm

I don't believe I have ever seen that myself. But if it was winter with snow on the ground and they found a food supply, then they might feed at the same time in the same area.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Morwenna » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:47 am

I haven't watched a bird in ages, which is a shame because I used to do that often as a kid. But I do know that we have hawks on East Rock, a steep wooded hill near my home (and on the edge of a city, at that). We also have wild turkeys right up the road near the reservoir, where there are also geese and swans. But I haven't made note of the songbirds in too long a time.

I do have a friend from church, though, who is almost totally blind but has learned to recognize bird calls. I'm totally amazed. Maybe I should learn that!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Dunthule » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:26 am

FrodoTook wrote:
I also saw a Catbird. The first one I have seen in 5 years and the first one in my current backyard. It, or one very much like it, has visited for the past 4 days..enjoying suet.
A pretty, sleek, medium sized bird...slate grey with a black cap. I heard it "meow". 8) Yes, I was thrilled again.

I saw a few yesterday as well. :)
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby FrodoTook » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:15 pm

The Catbird.

A pretty, sleek, medium sized bird.

Slate grey with black cap.

I enjoy seeing them with you Dunny.

==========

By the way Dunthule. I hope you don't mind me referring to you as Dunny.

My nickname is "Buddy"..which is what all my kin folks call me.

My Dads nickname was "Buddy" too.

That said, I like thinking of you as Dunny. 8)

=========

To my joy, many Goldfinches are still visiting my backyard feeders...enjoying my Black Oil Sunflower Seed. I had read they would be attracted to Niger / Thistle Seed... which needed a special type feeder ( with thin slits ). I never got around to buying that special kind of seed and feeder and am delighted to see them visit my back yard. Today and daily..for the past two weeks. :)

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Dunthule » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:52 am

Dunny works just great!
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby FrodoTook » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:44 pm

Dunthule wrote:Dunny works just great!

8) Dunny.

Today ( within the past hour ) I saw a Carolina Wren building a nest.

I have a canopy just outside my back sliding door and at the top right corner of the canopy ( less than 10 feet away from inside my house ) I saw the Wren fly back and forth.
I saw the Wren pick up leaves and twigs in my yard and place them in the top right corner of the canopy. I stood very still just inside the sliding door..watching that beautiful little bird working so hard. The Wren flew back and forth. Sometimes landing nearby looking back at the nest it was building. I stood still..so much enjoying the beauty of the little bird and what it was doing.

It was beautiful.

The nest will be built.

New life will begin and I will be happy seeing those babys.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Dunthule » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:12 am

FrodoTook wrote:
Dunthule wrote:Dunny works just great!

The nest will be built.

New life will begin and I will be happy seeing those babys.

Pics?
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby Dunthule » Wed May 01, 2013 1:14 pm

I saw an oriole today. I was in shock! :shock:
I have lived in two houses in the Cinci area that past 10 years and this is the first close up sighting.
A male either scoping out the area for his mate or just passin' through. :wink:
What a pretty bird. 8)
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby FrodoTook » Thu May 02, 2013 1:13 pm

Hey Dunny.

I have enjoyed reading this entire thread again and came across your earlier post.

You said...May 20th, 2009...near 4 years ago.

Hola everyone!
As I now have a baby, me wifey and I spend much more time at home.
I've been tracking the birds and have seen finches (house and yellow), cardinals, catbirds, mockingbirds, balckbirds, grackles, morning doves, blue jays, blue bird (once). chicadees, ruby throated hummingbirds and house sparrows. And some sort of wood pecker (red headed).
The one bird I hope to see is an Oriole. I've laid out grape jelly and oranges (per articles I found on the web), but nothing so far.
Hopefully soon though!

Reading "that" post makes me very happy for you friend. I, too, ( so much wanting to see an Oriole ) have laided out grape jelly and oranges. I put out a plate with grape jelly on it. I also pressed sliced oranges onto branches. I even bought a special "heart shaped" feeder which has a skewer to hold an apple slice...

all with my so wanting to see an Oriole.

I am yet to see one with my own eyes but from your words, in my mind, I can see the Oriole and feel your joy.

Thank you Dunny for sharing.

Very good for me to see good things come to those who so very much want something. 8) Especially when it is something as beautiful as seeing a bird they so much want to see.

I am very happy for you. Very happy.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu May 02, 2013 7:18 pm

I do hope my Orioles come back this year. I am ready for them with new hummingbird feeders that they wont be able to get into so will definitely have something else for them. Soon I am sure!! :thumbsup:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Dunthule » Fri May 03, 2013 2:20 pm

Thanks FT! Good to see you Vanny!

This is the first year that I did nothing special for Orioles. No silly grape jelly, oranges, etc.
And guess what happens. HA! :roll: :) 8)
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri May 03, 2013 6:23 pm

Is it too late there to bring them in by leaving them the fruit and jelly? :(
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Lithtaur16 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:21 pm

We had a Bald Eagle circle the field during the last two outs of one of our softball games recently in Catonsville, MD. :) I've never seen them in this area before. The only other times I've encountered ones wild and free were driving up 695 toward Ownings Mills, MD (definitely seen- adult bird with white head and tail) and hearing a juvenile chirp above the Susquehanna on a canoe trip.

:( Our blue birds, wrens, and goldfinches haven't come back yet that I've seen. Got plenty of Mockingbirds and robins though. :)
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Sat May 04, 2013 6:40 pm

I was outside last evening when the hummingbirds were buzzing around so I was tipping or burping the feeder to make sure the food was at the flowers when one came and sat on my hand!! :shock: It was so AWESOME!!! I am going to do it again tomorrow and see if it will do it again. Their little feet kind of tickled like maybe when a mouse steps on your finger but lighter. I felt very special at that moment!! :D
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth