We makes things! A thread for crafters

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

We makes things! A thread for crafters

Postby Silmarie » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:00 am

There is a thin line between hobby and mental illness.

Welcome all who love hand made things, from the fresh beginner to the grizzled veteran.

Celebrate your handiwork, exchange tips for working with your preferred material, or just complain when things don't turn out as you planned.

We all secretly know we are getting close to Aulë with every new creation.

Current memberlist:
Vanadarlin' – jewellery (Sterling Silver, 14K Gold, Semi-precious stones) hooker :angel: )
Rwhen – crochet, macramé, earrings with feathers, hooker :angel:
Heliona – knitter
Lithtaur 16 – cross stitch, crochet
SilverScribe - knit, crochet, tat, embroider, cross-stitch, paint, draw, write and all sorts of other crafty-like things. And groovy beading-thing :D
Morwenna - knit, crochet, crewel embroidery, beaded felt decorations
Rose_MorningStar - Sewing, looming (the kind you do wih looms!), painting
Spirit_of_The_Willow - woodburning, woodcarving, polymer clay, basketry, leatherwork, pottery, cross stitch, quilt and various sundry art :D

Silmarie - beading, polymer clay, macrame
Last edited by Silmarie on Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Silmarie
Ranger of the North

Postby Silmarie » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:03 am

Let me start first....

Ahem. My name's Sil and I'm a crafter.

Currently my obsession is wire and polymer clay and the project of the day is a watch.

My main problem, currently, is finding the right type of varnish for my polymer clay tablets. I paint on them using watercolour and so things can get a bit sticky when using water-based products. I have high hopes for the varnish I found which is used for boats:D
Silmarie
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:31 am

Hi my name is Vana and I have made my own earrings for several years. I love to work with Sterling Silver or 14 K Gold and semi precious stones like turquoise, pearls, amethyst, moonstone, jade, tiger eye, hematite, Onyx, Rose Quartz, Blue Lace, Lapis Lazuli, sodalite, and many others. I have done this ever since the late 80s. I love to use kidney wires, loop wires and Shepherd hooks. I have made both simple and elaborate dangles. I have sold them in retail shops too back in the 90s. I find making them is very relaxing to me and creating new designs is rewarding.
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Silmarie » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:46 am

Cheers for coming Vana:D Since you're an expert on jewellery, I have a question for you: which wire works best for endings? I get confused with American labels, so please talk in mm or something:D

My brand new polymer clay tablet is just drying, I'm itching to try that new varnish. It's looking at me, I swear it does. It whispers: G'won, Sil, try me. You'll love me. No need ofr the ol colour to dry. Try me. Must....resist....temptation
Silmarie
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:46 am

Hi, my name is Jules erm....rwhen. Oh heck, Jules. And I crochet, make ear rings with bird feathers and I used to macrame quite heavily. I also like to hook a rug every now and again. Dream catchers is a current favorite and painting pottery. And I am very lousy on patience levels with crafts. I love doing them, but lose interest and then jump to something else.

Hello Sil and Vanadarlin'. :D

Maybe I will get into one of these again and post some piccies. :D

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Silmarie » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:57 am

rwhen welcome darlin. I have low patience as well. I got started on sone neat-o coral technique earrings and never finished them. Not to mention I've got lots and lots of beads that I see and NEED to have the very moment...and of course never use them. My language has a lovely slang term for that: hamster-stuff (hrčkarija)
Silmarie
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:32 pm

Silmarie I don't know about the mm of the wire since I just found one soft enough to work with and never really got into using a ton of the wire that is not stamped out into the eye pins or beading pins already. I buy preformed pins and loops. Let me see if I can find some links to show what I would normally use. This is some of the eye pins and head pins that I might use beadingpins

Hey Rwhen nice to have you here as well!! :hug:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Silmarie » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:42 pm

Vana yup, that's the kind I'm using just now. I have a specific project in mind which would require me to use a TON of the stuff, so I'm doing some research, asking some people... hopefully, I'll find the right wire for the danged thing.

My tablet's dry! I'm off to apply the varnish. eyes the varnish seductively Who's your momma? :love:
Silmarie
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:19 pm

Sil:

What is your native language? Not that I could speak it, but good to know for references and such.

I just was looking online at some rugs just ripe for the hooking...here, I like the looks of the Desert Sun, the Elegant Roses or the Shadow Box.

Now there is a rug of Jesus and sorry, but that is just WRONG. I mean you make a rug and then walk on it? :shock: I know...you can hang these on walls...

Also with latch hooking, if the detail is too intense, the picture doesn't come out very well. I did a whole bathroom set once...four pieces, it was basic, but came out really nice. :D

I bet I am the only hooker here!! :D :angel:

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:08 pm

You lose Rwhen!!! I am a hooker too!! :shock: I mean I have done hook rugs before and rather enjoyed it. It has been years since I have done one though. :P :D

I love the white tiger, midnight wolves or the kitties. :D
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby rwhen » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:53 pm

See....I should have KNOWN you for a hooker!! :P

Your choices are pretty. Now that I have checked it out, I think that will be my next craft project. Joannes has some too. *nods* Yup, mind is made up now.

The thing I like about hooking is that you can do it while watching TV or talking and such. It is sorta mindless, yes?

:D

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Silmarie » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:01 pm

:shock: those are some seriously nifty rugs.

rwhen&vana you'se hookers :angel: ? No fair, I wanna do that too...it looks so pretty! Does it take a lot of time and patience to learn? Do I need some special tools?
I wanna do the kitties:D

Oh my rant for the day: I wanted to pick up a stamp today, to use for my tablets. The only $"#%&$" craft store in my town closed early. It's a bother since I already paid for the parking and now I'm moneyless and stampless. Bum! :lightening:
Last edited by Silmarie on Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silmarie
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:16 pm

LOL Sil. Sorry, but there IS tomorrow. And in what country do you live?

For latch hooking, it is dead easy. Other than the kit, which usually has all the mats and cut yarn...you need a hook. That is it. And it is SO easy, you can do it and talk on the phone, watch TV....and it goes pretty fast too. I once did a rug for a friend for Christmas and started it a week in advance and got it done in two days. Now that said, I was on fire thinking I wouldn't have time to get it done and it wasn't an intricate pattern.

:D

:hug:

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Silmarie » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:25 pm

rwhen the beautiful and slightly backwards Central Europe. I should probably have someone explain this to me in real life, the online tutorials leave me as puzzled as a monkey in a room full of typewriters.
Silmarie
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:12 pm

A little late, but here nontheless!

Hello, my name is Heliona and I'm a knitter. Sort of! :D I started knitting many years ago as a child and was absolutely useless! About every three rows I had to stop and get my mum to fix whatever problem I had created!

I started knitting again a few years ago, when I decided to knit my friends scarves for Christmas. Mainly as an incentive to kickstart me going again. This time, I wasn't quite as useless! I did finish my scarves and then stopped knitting again!

However, I'd subsequently restarted (again!) and am about two-thirds of the way through a scarf for myself, experimenting with a double rib stitch (still very simple stuff, but I'm a perfectionist and I want to know every stitch before I try something harder!). I've just bought some circular needles and double-pointed needles and wool to knit myself a hat. I'm branching out! :D The goal is to be able to knit myself a lovely, off-the-shoulder jumper sometime this year. :D

rwhen, I love the look of those rugs. :) They look almost too good to go on a floor! (They are meant to go on the floor, aren't they? :D)
Image<-- Merry Christmas!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby rwhen » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:56 pm

Sil, well chalk it up to my brain, because you actually already told me where you are from and I found it on the map...:D I think I remarked at the time that I had spent quite a bit of time in Greece, not that that is your home or anything...now who is batty. :D

heliona, welcome!! I think that the hooked finished pieces could and are used as wall hangings as well. The only ones I completed were rugs and meant to be used as rugs. But I can't imagine walking on Jesus :roll: . ;)

I will let ya know when I land on one and get started.

Knitting. We spoke of this on another thread. I love knitting and there is such a wealth of options when one gets good at it. I bet you will have that jumper (sweater to us in the US) in no time. :D

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:37 pm

I was going to say that if Heliona was making scarves for her friends, somehow I got missed cause I never got mine. :P :twisted: :lmbo:

Yeah I remember my rug being very easy to do and it went fairly fast. I really enjoyed it too. Why I never did more I do not know! **shrugs**

Welcome ladies to the group here! :hug:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Lithtaur16 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:11 pm

I have the white tiger rug! :D I just have to figure out how to make it lay flat on the wall now. Can't bear to be stepping all over it... let alone letting the naughty cat shred it. :shock:

Latch hook is very fun but I'm at my limit for craft purchases so no more for now. :) I have to actually do something with the stuff I bought. Lots of cross-stitch and quilted bulbs in the future. And a crocheted blanket. I'm still just learning to let the hook do all the work so it's a little slow going. The last blanket I did took three years to make. :shock: Mom loves napping with it! :D And so does my better behaved kitty at home. :)
I really want to learn true quilting though. I have to hand stitch everything so I'm starting by making pillow cases. No need for batting or a stand with those. :)
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby Silmarie » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:43 am

heliona & Lithtaur welcome to my humble thread! We have biscuits! *showers them in paintbrush shaped sugar biscuits*

Lith :lmbo: kitty from hell:D I bow to your superior patience

rwhen seriously? I told you? I'm a butterbrain then, I can't remember that. When was that? anyways I spent a lot of time in Greece too:D

I never had the patience to knit or crochet or do quilting so a deep bow to all you fine ladies who manage.

I got inspired by y'all and so I'm making a felt pouch for my pliers. If it goes well, I'll start thinking of something a bit more complicated...slippers or some such thing:D
Silmarie
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Sil, I think it was on the FALLEN thread. And I loved Greece to pieces...*sigh* You made a felt pouch? YAY you!!! :D

Lith :hug: hi sweetie, grand to see you here. I expect you think to find me elsewhere :whistle: in your travels if you happen to see my muse will you please kick her sorry butt back to me? :hug:

You are very talented with crafting....for keeping the rug uncurled...velcro!! just one on either side of the bottom and voila. :D I also have made handmade quilts WITH batting and my fingers actually bled from it. I have done them on the sewing machine too and in the end for the difference in how it turns out...hand stitching is the best. :D

*grabs some sugar biscuits and runs*

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby heliona » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:10 am

Biscuits? Yumm! :D

Vana, I wouldn't worry. You probably wouldn't have wanted one anyway. :D It took me a long time to do them! About three months to knit four scarves. :D I'm a little faster now!

I went into town on Wednesday and bought some double-pointed knitting needles, some circular needles and two balls of gorgeous dark red merino wool/cashmere/acrylic to knit a hat. I need to practise knitting on the round before attempting my jumper (sweater) and I figure a hat is a good way to start. :D Also, I have a red scarf and red gloves but no red hat, so I thought I might as well go for matching colours too. :)

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby rwhen » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:58 pm

heliona sounds like you have a great plan to me!! :D How long do you think it would take to make a hat? And you are a lady who loves red I see. :D

I do too...but I think I only own one red top and that is it. I guess the fact that I wear jeans every single day...makes wardrobe options a bit stunted. :P

Have a grand weekend everyone. I am off early today at 1pm. My co-worker showed up today after three days off sick and I had to pull 10 hour days to cover her shift. YAY ME!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:41 pm

Rest up Rwhen sweetie!! I missed you today cause I got called into work. I will be off again on Tuesday so maybe we can chat more then!!

:hug: 143
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby heliona » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:50 am

rwhen wrote:heliona sounds like you have a great plan to me!! :D How long do you think it would take to make a hat? And you are a lady who loves red I see. :D

I do too...but I think I only own one red top and that is it. I guess the fact that I wear jeans every single day...makes wardrobe options a bit stunted. :P

It'll probably take me months to do a hat! :D I haven't finished my scarf yet, although I'm nearly done. I don't knit for hours and hours, so it takes me a while.

I do love red. It was my favourite colour as a child (it's blue now). I don't have to much red clothes either - they're a pain to wash, since they have a habit of running! :D

heliona

Postby Silmarie » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:02 am

heliona that sounds like a great plan. If your reds seem to run, how bout putting some colour catchers in your washer? They work like a charm for me...but I have a problem with wool, it never seems to keep that lovely fluffiness for long. I must be doing something wrong, although for the life of me I can't think what. Oh and congrats on the new loot! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

rwhen hope you had a nice weekend!

Just wondering, how do you gals restrain yourselves when you go craft shopping? Don't laugh, it's a serious question.
Silmarie
Ranger of the North

Postby Lithtaur16 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:33 pm

Silmarie wrote:heliona that sounds like a great plan. If your reds seem to run, how bout putting some colour catchers in your washer? They work like a charm for me...but I have a problem with wool, it never seems to keep that lovely fluffiness for long. I must be doing something wrong, although for the life of me I can't think what. Oh and congrats on the new loot! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Just wondering, how do you gals restrain yourselves when you go craft shopping? Don't laugh, it's a serious question.

What kind of cleaner do you use for your wool? :)

And I try to only pay cash. I can't spend more than what's in my pocket whether it's forty cents for floss or a couple of dollars for a pattern or cloth.
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:52 pm

Silmarie wrote:heliona that sounds like a great plan. If your reds seem to run, how bout putting some colour catchers in your washer? They work like a charm for me...but I have a problem with wool, it never seems to keep that lovely fluffiness for long. I must be doing something wrong, although for the life of me I can't think what. Oh and congrats on the new loot! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

rwhen hope you had a nice weekend!

Thank you. :) I've thought about those colour catchers. I might go out and buy some at some point, because I find it rather annoying to have to save up colours and whites to do separate washes! :D

I try not to go craft shopping unless I go with something in mind. Then I get in and get out as fast as possible! :lol: However, on my last trip, I was looking for stitch markers and there weren't any at all, so I might have to resort to buying some online. Or else going to the art store (which is always a nightmare, trying to get out of there without buying out the whole place!) and buying the stuff to make my own.

heliona

Postby Silmarie » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:16 am

Lith I use the bio whatchamacallits....wash nuts? And a conditioner for wool. But I don't use the softener, it brings me out in a rash. I also try to pay in cash, but ye olde calculus and I are not friends, so in the end I always seem to pay by credit.

heliona you have some strong willpower, my lady. I always buy a bit more than I strictly need. And of course I don't use it:D I still have a whole box of walnut and peach-pit shaped beads. I don't know why I bought them and I sure as heck have no idea what to do with them.
Silmarie
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:50 pm

Hey Sil. I am able to restrain myself in a craft store, it is the office supply store where I am a real insane person and the grocery store too. The craft store I am there for one purpose usually and I get that and out I go.

heliona have you started on your hat yet?

*has not got the latch hook set yet...:whistle:

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby heliona » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:32 pm

rwhen wrote:heliona have you started on your hat yet?

*has not got the latch hook set yet...:whistle:

:rofl: Um, no! :lol: I haven't even finished my scarf yet!

heliona

Next

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth