We makes things! A thread for crafters

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby Morwenna » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:09 am

I've bought several stamps over the years with the same goal in mind, but I never followed up on it. And now, with the internet, who uses stationery anymore??? :? Still, it was a nice idea: pastel copy paper customized by stamping. I even have a few colored ink pads... somewhere...

When we dug out the spare room I thought, "Oh boy! Table space! Crafting space!" Yeah, right... :P
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:08 pm

Well, I have some pics of my jewelry up on my facebook account. I'll try posting a link, If you can't get to it that way, I'll copy them over to my flickr account.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=588201&id=535280789&l=f96d2dd1b9
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:32 pm

Oooooo, Sparklies!! I like the "Memorize" necklaces PB . . . and the other ones with the silver spiral bits, very pretty.

One of our analysts at work donated all the proceeds from his wife's handmade cards to the United Way this year. She had a Christmas set and an All Occasion set; all the cards were utterly gorgeous, multi-media types of things . . . I may try my hand at some Christmas themed ones for next year my ownself. I have tons of cloth ribbon and material and what I don't have, Michael's carries, LOL.

In spite of the internet, I love getting real cards at Christmas, and still send out a fair number my ownself. But it's a personal preference . . . and a custom that I can see dying out in years down the road. It's a sad thought though . . . our lives are getting so speedy and impersonal. Ah well. Progress, I guess. :)

:D:D:D
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby PatriotBlade » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:00 pm

Thanks! Once I get better tools, I hope to make a whole line of the Mezmorize, and the rose pin was a gift for my auntie, but so many people liked it, I may have do more of them.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:04 am

Yes PB the Mezmorize necklaces are very pretty. I thought it was funny that I was drawn to those as well. :D

Well I love to do matting for pictures that I have in my home so doing the stamping and all I can do those as well. So I have lots of things I want to do besides cards and stationary but as long as I have someone to send a card to I will make them and send them out. :D So it wont die out completely unless the post office closes down all over the world. ;)
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Morwenna » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:14 am

Vana, thanks for the idea; that's what to do with those stamps: homemade greeting cards! An 8 1/2" x 11" sheet, folded in quarters, is just about old-fashioned greeting-card size and configuration. Pastel paper + stamps + colored stamp ink + fountain or calligraphic pen = nice cards! :D Then, of course, a stack of envelopes. And the other kind of stamps. :)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:51 am

You're welcome hon!! :D Yes that is about all it takes though I have a few things to spiff them up even more. :D
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby PatriotBlade » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:19 am

I'll be posting new pics to my album soon, so check it out! Lots more jewelry and another scarf.

And no, I haven't been that busy, just finally got around to pulling out and photographing the rest of my stock.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:29 am

Looking forward to it! :)

I have to put the thoughts of an afghan on hold for a while due to finances. But I haven't forgotten. I need to spend the time selecting a pattern. I already know what I want for yarn!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:07 pm

New pics have been added, including a new line called Mermaid Jewels.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=5 ... f96d2dd1b9
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:07 pm

Oooo, look at the pretties!! :D Thanks for sharing PB!

*sigh* I have been staring at my Celestial Dragon cross stitch for nearly a year now, and really MUST get back to work on it . . .

I think I'll make that a goal when hubby gets himself back to work (and a regular shift :roll: ). If I could spend even an hour each evening he's working, then I could probably see some progress, LOL.

Trouble is, it's going to take me over an hour to find my place . . . :roll: :P

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fur meine Mutter . . . Sie sind für immer in meinem Herzen . . .

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:56 am

Well I found a small desk yesterday at the thrift store that will work perfectly for my table for making cards!! :yippie: I am so thrilled!! Now I just need to get the rest of the room set up so that I can get my supplies all organized together and get with the program of making cards. :thumbsup: But it is coming together nicely!!! :happydance:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Morwenna » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:58 pm

I have to find all my materials...
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:26 am

I kind of hate to follow myself, but an update is in order. I haven't bought the yarn yet (waiting for income tax refund, so what else is new), but I have chosen the afghan pattern I want to make (the pattern I've used twice before) and I've worked out the arrangement of the colors. I have yet to work out how much yarn I'll need of each color; the pattern is only so much help because the amounts in it are based on 5 colors, where I'm only going to be using 3 to cover the same area.

And I need a new Size 10 round needle. (I have 2 already, but don't ask me where...)

If it comes out halfway decent I just may enter it in the fair next September. :)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:46 am

I have a new craft! I make bags out of mini skirts! They're called "Booty Bags" No pics yet, but coming soon!

And I've made a Facebook for my business. Just search Forget Me-Not.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:33 am

Sounds great! I have a skirt that doesn't fit me anymore but I refuse to let it go because of the fabric. I may do something similar with it. But just for myself, not to sell or anything! :)

Either that, or it'll be a pillow cover, once the waistband comes off.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Sat May 14, 2011 9:30 am

I hate to post right after myself, but I do have something new.

I haven't yet bought the yarn for the projected afghan (finances!!), but today I went tag-saling and found someone selling yarn. There were 2 skeins of that lovely claret (not quite burgundy; lighter and brighter) almost like I wanted for the afghan, and one skein of a black and beige twist, both the same texture! And as I racked my brain wondering what I could do for the living room with so little yarn (it's exactly the colors of the rug!!), I hit on the idea of making a slipcover for the old octagonal vinyl hassock, which after over 45 years of use is finally coming apart at one of the seams. I've hung onto it all this time because it's so useful, even though I don't like the color. Trouble is, the best effect for this would be crochet, not knitting, and my crocheting skills are minimal to say the least. I need to be walked through every stitch constantly! (That's because I don't practice... :roll:) I envision a big 8-point medallion thing in alternating bands of red and twist, and the sides in just a plain stitch in stripes going down to the floor; and if I run out of twist, I also bought a skein of black which could substitute near the bottom.

Tell me I'm not nuts?! And I need a good set of instructions (watch me Google!) and a basic medallion or star pattern that I can expand as needed. And ambition! I need LOTS of that!! :D
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Sat May 14, 2011 11:36 pm

Well, the posts were two months appart....

I have been meaning to post to this thread to update some folks, but have been super busy.

A small shop in my local mall has started carrying a few pieces of my jewelry!

I've also started a facebook page for my business (hopefully, the setting I have it on will allow you to see, even if you don't have facebook).

http://www.facebook.com/patriot.blade?v ... 2344448690

I need to update the albums, but just haven't had time. Soon!
Last edited by PatriotBlade on Tue May 24, 2011 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Mon May 16, 2011 7:14 am

Congratulations, PB! Great to hear you're getting your stuff out there in person! BTW, did you do any more with the booty bags? I haven't cut up that skirt of mine yet.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Tue May 17, 2011 9:32 am

Hope to have pics up soon! Trying to do that today.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:10 am

Long time no post in this thread. :oops:

Doesn't mean I've not been busy crafting. :D

Though, well, starting projects more than finishing them. :whistle: ;) And thinking about more stuff to start or try. :D

Just now I've been rummaging through the cupboard to see what wool there is for possible Christmas present projects, and found a completed crocheted table-cloth (or pillow-case or bed-spread centre-piece or whatever) that I didn't remember I'd made. :doh: :D

(Hmmh, guess I should've ironed this before using it. ;) )

I also found three complete balls of yarn for fine crocheting - hmmh, do you think doilies make possible Christmas gifts or is that hopelessly Victorian?

PB, I found your facebook site and liked it - some really nice stuff there. :) How's the crafting going? :)

Scribbles, just curious, what's become of the dragon you've been making? :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Morwenna » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:39 am

I think that if I ever get started knitting again it'll have to be with the yarn I've got, and a friend gave me several skeins of navy and a few of white a long time ago, and I think I'll start by making a scarf for hubby, and possibly a hat. Stocking caps are relatively easy, so I'm told, so I'm willing to give it a shot. And another friend showed me how a simple ribbing can make an easy scarf (of course I can rib); a rib of a certain width will close up on itself well enough to almost double the fabric in use, and help to disguise the purl-side of a color change. And yes, I'm thinking stripes here! In fact, lately I've been working out in my head just what sort of stripe pattern I want to use: definitely a ground of navy, with each wide white stripe bracketed by a pair of narrow stripes. Obviously enough navy that it doesn't look as if you could call either color the ground. If I do the hat (he likes hats but he really doesn't need any more) the stripe(s) will be confined to the fold-up brim.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Personally, I try to avoid everything that closes up on itself for a scarf, as I prefer four or five inches width minimum for one. Patent is my favourite style for scarves - although I need to look up the basics all over again each time before I start, it's very easy and the best of it is that it creates a thick, cosy, warm look. :D
See here, for example: http://bellaknitting.com/shop/sportsfan ... atent.html
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Morwenna » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:17 pm

Oh, I like that! :D But I'll be darned if I'm going to buy a kit! What's that stitch called again? Patent? I never heard of that. But the writeup sounds simple enough. I just want the directions!

Actually a scarf that "closes up" around the ribs still is wide if you knit it even wider, as I was planning. But that link shows a really good idea. I like the no-reverse-side aspect. And I didn't want to get involved with anything tubular.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:55 am

Oh definitely! I didn't mean to suggest you buy the kit - I linked to the site so you could see the pretty thick ribs the stitch produces and because of the description of what it's like. :D

I've found, though, that 'Patent' apparently isn't its common name - looking for instructions I didn't find any by that name. (What happened was, I googled the German name to find out the English, and when I found the site I linked to above, I concluded that the name must be the same in English. Still puzzled about this. :D )

Aaaanyway, it seems the most common name for this stitch is "Brioche stitch" - here's a video, and make sure to click on the link for the written instructions (as the video doesn't give you the first row). :)
http://verypink.com/2011/08/31/brioche-stitch/
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Morwenna » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:36 am

Thank you very much for that link! :) I'll play the video at home because I have a harder time lowering the volume here at work. (At home I just turn a dial!) But the more I look at that sample the more it reminds me of a sweater my mother made years ago. Wouldn't it be funny if it were the same stitch! That's just what I need for the scarf in question!

That was a nice warm sweater too. My mother made it for my father, but by the time she finished it it was way too big for him because he had lost a lot of weight for medical reasons. So she ripped it all out and started over again. :shock: But in the meantime she went back to work after he retired, and by the time she finished it again, he had gained the weight back! :roll: So she gave up and gave it to me, in time for me to take it to college with me. I wore it for years! :D
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:41 pm

Truehobbit, I haven't been doing much since the last update. I have a commissioned dragonfly jewelry set that I need to get made and some pants to hem for someone, but I haven't had the energy.

And frankly, I LOVE doilies!
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:39 pm

truehobbit wrote:Long time no post in this thread. :oops: Scribbles, just curious, what's become of the dragon you've been making? :)

Alas, the Celestial Dragon has languished in "No Time For Crafts Land", along with the Fords of Isen and about a dozen other projects . . . :(

My biggest problem, aside from the sheer lack of time, is that the Dragon is very complex . . . and I left off in a rather "busy" area of the pattern. Which means I will need at least anf hour when I start up again just to figure out what I've done and what I haven't . . :roll: I really should get a picture of how far I did get before it fell by the wayside. ;)

Absolutely beautiful table cloth hobby . . . my grandmother used to do work like that but I think it's beyond my own skill level. ;)

I love the "Brioche Stitch" scarf too, that looks so easy to do but the result is so professional. Good idea for a gift item . . . ;)

SilverScribe

Postby truehobbit » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:31 pm

Thanks, guys! I started with a doily and had such fun with it, that I made a second one and am now trying to decide which of my many patterns to do next. :D The first two were pretty small (about 15cm/6inches) - I gave them away as Christmas presents at last weekend's gaming group Christmas meet-up, and I think people liked them. :)

Here they are:
Image Image :D

Scribbles, I know what you mean - and the longer it's ago, the more bother it seems to pick it up again. I hope you do at some point, though. :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Morwenna » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:05 am

Hobby, those are GORGEOUS!!! You are an inspiration to us all! :hug:
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth