We makes things! A thread for crafters

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby truehobbit » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:43 am

Ooh, thank you, Morwenna - you're making me blush. :)
Esp as these are really easy to make. :D Just some basic stitches, it's worked in rounds which are closed, so you can always see what round you're on, and best of all, they're made from pattern charts, so no wrapping your mind around awkwardly worded descriptions. :D

The first few rounds might be a bit tricky, while it's all very small, but no where near as tricky as an amigurumi - it seems to me they are really popular now and are supposed to be easy to make, but I'm currently working on one and am finding it really tricky - have already restarted three times. :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Morwenna » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:03 am

Well, I've sort of put on hold the crochet project I have in mind (the ottoman cover)--I need just such a circular pattern (octagonal) and I do like the star or petaled motif. I've NEVER tried crocheting with thread!!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:27 pm

truehobbit wrote:Scribbles, I know what you mean - and the longer it's ago, the more bother it seems to pick it up again. I hope you do at some point, though. :)

The plan is to spend a few hours getting "back into it" during the Christmas break. I think we'll have our New Year's Eve Open House catered this year, I'm already too exhausted to even think about working up another huge spread of food . . . and Christmas Eve and Day have yet to arrive! :shock: :D

Those doilies are truly beautiful hobby! . . . and really do look like some of my grandmothers that I still have. I should get piccies of them, see how close the patterns really are. :)

I think the only way I'll get anything done in the craft area (before I retire, LOL) is to set aside two hours on a specific evening, you know, sort of like we do for exercising . . . :whistle: :D

Morwenna, I'd love to see a picture if you do get the ottoman cover done! :)

:D:D:D
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby Morwenna » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:08 am

I'm thinking I should just forget the star bit and make a simple octagon. Then I only have 8 corners to worry about and that just means chain stitches every time I come to one. I don't really need fancy if the rug is patterned, which it is. Concentric bands will be fine.

Now to find that hook I got from the workshop last year...
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby StormCrow_TheGreen » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:00 pm

I'm a little late on this but, I make things too.

I mostly sew and woodwork, but I also do some metalwork too (still working on my backyard forge).

Most of my stuff is reproductions of historical things.
StormCrow_TheGreen
Shield Bearer

Postby Morwenna » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:31 am

I found a hook. But I'm putting everything non-pertinent off till after the Pennsic War; too much packing and all that to do. Mid-August when we come back will be time enough to think of that. (Besides, who wants to work with yarn in the hot weather??)

The other thing I want to make, the afghan, I should have bought the yarn last year. This year I can find the same red and green I saw last year, but not the beige; the only one in the same brand (and with the same texture) is too dead a color. The closest color to what I want in another brand is a different texture, not as nice a one. :( Well, I'll just have to hit a few more stores, I guess. After vacation.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby StormCrow_TheGreen » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:46 pm

I went to Pennsic 34 with Clan O'Choda

The preparing took a little longer then I thought, lol
StormCrow_TheGreen
Shield Bearer

Postby Parador~J » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:56 pm

I made it Hobby! :D

My name is Parador~J (Paulina)... :)

When I was a little girl...we'd go and visit my Aunt Margarite in Gallup, New Mexico...as long as I can remember she would have a quilting frame set-up in her dining room with a quilt attached to it. We'd run to the quilt grabbing a chair and quilt for hours....oh how I loved quilting! And I still do!

I so enjoy counted cross stitching...and crocheting. AND I LOVE to sew! :) :)

I use to draw...but got away from it....I still have my art book filled with drawings. I'll take some pics and share :thumbsup: I did a pastel drawing of Kenny Rogers and a pencil drawing of Peter Frampton...sold them both :lol:

I have an Afghan I crocheted...and I'm working on a cross stitch right now for my sister. I'll take pics to share :D

StormCrow...welcome back to TORC :D

That's cool about your reproductions of historical stuff...would love to see some of your woodwork :)

Hobby...your doilies are beautiful!!! I haven't made it to that level yet...working on it. Crocheting is so relaxing :) :)

:hihi: Morwenna, Scribbles, PB, Vana, heliona
Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

Postby Morwenna » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:19 am

StormCrow_TheGreen wrote:I went to Pennsic 34 with Clan O'Choda

The preparing took a little longer then I thought, lol

Clann O'Choda?! I live in (and camp with) Dragonship Haven!! (See my screen name? That's my SCA name.) Was DH still camping next to O'Choda then or had we moved to the other side of the battlefield? I can't keep the years straight. :roll:

Sorry for the OT; back to our regularly scheduled thread. :)

And no, BTW, I haven't started that ottoman cover. After fair season. Got to think about baking right now!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:55 am

Hi Paulina! :hihi:

I'd love to see pics of some of your work - I adore sewing and quilting, I'm just completely clueless about it. :D

As usual in summer, any needlework I'll be doing is likely to be cross-stitch - no handling of wool on a nice, warm day. :P ;)

Still, I've got so much yarn stashed up, I'm always thinking about stuff I might make. And I have been struggling with a summerly linen/cotton yarn, from which I wanted to knit a light scarf for my sweetheart - but I just can't find a stitch that'll make it feel smooth, not curl-up and not use up too much yarn (the lady in the shop assured me that three skeins would be enough, but I'm not so sure). Have already made four attempts, but am not happy with the current one either and thinking of starting over a fifth time. :|
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Morwenna » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:19 am

Wow.

Have you thought of making it tubular? That way it would be stockinette on both sides and no rolling. Then press it flat and bind the ends, and fringe them if you want.

I'm still searching for the right yarn for the projected afghan. I should have bought it last year and d**n the budget! This year I can't find the beige I want.

AFTER fair season!! :) Then when I get them finally made (I'm also including that troublesome ottoman cover), maybe I'll have some needlework to enter for a change!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:47 am

Morwenna, I hadn't thought of that - it would certainly give it an unusal look :D - but I fear I'd run out of yarn too quickly. Still, keeping it in mind. :D

The re-starts were after only about an inch of work (apart from the first 10x10 cm to try out the yarn, which gave me a scare with how much it used up), so no big deal, really - but still a bit frustrating. :)
Thinking now that I should try a simple knit-and-purl after all - didn't do that so as to save yarn, but I might just do it and if I run out after half a yard of length...well, I'll think about that when I get there. :D If I keep it tight it'll hopefully look orderly enough, and be smooth and straight all over.

I know what you mean about not finding just the right materials - it usually takes me ages to decide on materials - good luck on getting the beige for the afghan! (If you know what brand and colour, online shops might be helpful - they are so tempting, but for yarns, I do want to feel it before I buy it. :D )

In other news, a few days ago I caved in and bought a crocheting magazine with some lovely patterns for tops, jackets and stuff like that - I've never yet been able to wrap my mind round any crochet that doesn't go in rounds, so I'm nervous but keen to try. :D
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Morwenna » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:40 am

Rounds is what I need to do for that ottoman cover I'm planning. Of course I have the theory down but I'm rather, shall we say, weak on practice?! I'm a rank beginner but at least I can chain and do singles and doubles, and that's all I'll need for this. I have that yarn; I got it at a tag sale a couple years ago. (And besides having been taught briefly at more workshops than I can remember, I acquired Crocheting For Dummies, and it's about as explicit as I could ever want!)

I seriously doubt I'd shop for yarn online; I wouldn't trust the color. I want to feel the texture as well. Problem is, last year I found a red, a green, and a beige I loved all in the same brand so they were all the same texture and I liked that too. This year I can find the same red and green, pretty much, though I don't know if it was the same brand as last year or not; but the brand I found this year has a different beige, a colder sort of shade (I call it deader) and I don't like it as well. I found a nice beige in another brand but it's a different texture, and that brand doesn't have the red or the green! :roll:

I guess I have to try different stores.

Good luck with that scarf. If you just want to do single-layer stockinette, make a narrow border (2 to 4 stitches) in garter and it won't roll. It'll have a "right" and a "wrong" side, true, but I always thought the purl side looked pretty good in its own right... :)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Parador~J » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:25 pm

I finally was able to take some pics of drawings I did :thumbsup:

I drew these when I was in my 20's...lot of my artwork have been lost...stuff I drew back when I was 10 years old and up. The three drawings are about 30 to 40 years old lol:) Yeah, I'm getting up there ;)

This first one is my favorite

This drawing is from the album Styx...forgot the name of the album :P

I drew this when I was 18 or so...

Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

Postby Parador~J » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:37 pm

I'm working on this cross stitch right now...it's for my sister. She collects bird houses :)

I completed an afghan...and will get a pic of it this week :D

I sure will, Hobby...it will be a pic of a vest I made and then I quilted it...and then another vest I did beading on it. I LOVE to make vests! :D

You'll do good on the crocheting, Morwenna :thumbsup: AND I look forward to seeing the finished ottoman cover :D

I find crocheting so relaxing...

You are having to knit the scarf a 5th time, Hobby? :shock:
Mithril Knights Warriors Guild
~Mithril Knight of Lore
~Mithril Knight / Knight Marshall

~Bearer of the Sun Ring of ~Anar~ - The Spirit of Endurance ^~^'Fëavoronwie'^~^
A Writer's Quest
Where Writer's Learn
The Writer Magazine
Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

Postby SilverScribe » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:27 pm

Parador~J wrote:This drawing is from the album Styx...forgot the name of the album :P

The Grand Illusion. ;) (Loooooved Styx back in the day . . . ) :D

Great artwork P~J, like you I used to draw in my youth but an awful lot of my stuff has been lost or destroyed. Ah well. I don't think I was nearly as good as you though. :D

Morwenna, crocheting is really just made up of a few stitches, once you learn them then it's just a matter of practice (and careful reading of the pattern ;) ). My problem is I always read ahead to far and too fast, and then my crochet piece looks like it was done by a drunken fishwife, LOL. :blush:

I don't even want to say how long it's been since I picked up anything "crafty" . . . *sigh* Life has just gotten so crazy.

And now, the stuff I have on my "to do" list are necessary items, like flannel comforter covers for the upcoming w . . . er, chilly season. ;) Maybe once those are done I can drag out my umpteen dozen cross-stitch projects again . . . :roll:

:D:D:D
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby Parador~J » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:35 pm

That's it!!! Grand Illusion :D

Thanks, Scribbles :thumbsup:

I hear ya...I use to draw AND play the violin (started in the 4th grade...played up until I was 18...played in the Roswell Youth Symphony)...now I don't do either...not sure why...

"My problem is I always read ahead to far and too fast, and then my crochet piece looks like it was done by a drunken fishwife"

:lmbo: OH mAN! After hearing that Scribbles, I would love to see that crochet piece :lol:

Life can get crazyily busy...it's trying to fit everything we want to do in our 80 or 90 years we have on this earth :shock:
~Mithril Knight of Lore

A Writer's Quest
Where Writer's Learn
The Writer Magazine
Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

Postby Morwenna » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:16 am

oops--duplicate
Last edited by Morwenna on Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:16 am

I used to draw... :( Time was, I always had a pencil in my hand--or a pen, or crayons, or something... Then I gave it up when I was 15 because I was convinced I hadn't improved in 3 years. Guess what. Two of my artist friends saw the paper dolls I made at that age (my buddy next door and I were into fashion design at the time) and they said their skill level was about like that at that age... :roll: Then a few years ago I was hunting through the chest of drawers that constitutes my personal "attic," and came across the beginnings of a nature project I was doing for my own pleasure when I was in fifth grade (age 10-11). I had laboriously copied over some pictures from matchbooks that I had collected, in a larger size (and I still have the originals to compare with)--they were GOOD!!! :shock: :cry2:

And after so many decades, my momentum is just plain gone. I can still sketch about as well as I could at 15, but look at the amount of ground I'd have to catch up... And I idolize artists!!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Parador~J » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:02 am

Wow Morwenna :)

See what I mean...we don't think we're any good and so off we go to something else lol:)

Like I've said in A Writer's Quest ... because I felt I was not near as good as a virtuoso, or a Michelangelo or a Hemingway or Tolkien...then I might as well give it up...I'd lose interest because I didn't set more goals with the hope I could improve playing the violin, draw or write :(

Sadly...after all these years...but at least I'm discovering it now...is I had in me all along...as both of you two did, Morwenna and Scribbles. I'm learning that even with talent...we still have to work at it. That's why I've chose to work on my writing. I need to focus on one thing for now...and set a goal to perfect it...and share with others my stories, etc....

The in between stuff will still be crocheting, sewing, cross stitching, quilting...but my passion will be my journey as a Writer . I try not to let my age discourage me...I read stories and met people who started at an older age discovering their talents and gifts...and then perfecting them. It really is never to late :wink:
~Mithril Knight of Lore

A Writer's Quest
Where Writer's Learn
The Writer Magazine
Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

Re: We makes things! A thread for crafters

Postby PatriotBlade » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:30 pm

Hi, all! I haven't posted in here for a while, but my hands haven't been entirely idle.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forget-Me-Not-Handicrafts/156092344448690?ref=ts&fref=ts

Be sure to checkout my latest update! I have finally manged to make a decent looking dreamcatcher!
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby elengil » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:56 pm

Hello all! Is there perhaps room in your crafty circle for one more chair? I can squeeze a bit, though I might spill out all over if I'm not careful. I have a rather large pallet. The truncated version includes spinning yarn, weaving, beadwork, sewing (hand and machine), embroidery, watercolor painting (and tea, and coffee, and soon-to-be beer painting), prose and poetry, sculpy clay, ceramic painting, and generally an odd assortments of crafty-creativeness. I'll try not to leave too much of a mess...
elengil
Ranger of the North

Postby Melwa » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:53 am

Hello, all! Nice to see some fellow crafters.
I tend not to do much on any of the "standard" craft things. I go more for the wacky stuff, but I'm not very good at coming up with ideas myself.

It's almost Valentine's Day, which means I'm working on several types of valentines, and then they'll have personalized tags . . .
I got my idea from this craft http://static.spoonful.com/sites/default/files/styles/square_420x420/public/crafts/mad-love-valentines-craft-photo-420x420-ff0212valent_a02.jpg Then, I decided to make my own Mad Libs. So, I'm finding short romantic passages from well-known books and turning them into Mad Libs. It's surprisingly hard to find a concisely romantic passage that's about 150 words.
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Previous

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth