We makes things! A thread for crafters

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:30 pm

rwhen wrote: What inspired you from Hobbys photos????

One of the piccies from Oxford... there is a garden in front of some white-washed /cream-colored stone buildings.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:02 pm

The vests in question are knitted. I love vests, but they're not common anymore (at least not the classic kind). I used to have several but they were synthetic and over the years they just got rather shabby, and some don't fit anymore. And trying to find colors I like is hard enough in any garment!

I only said it the way I did because somewhere along the line I learned that "vest" in Britain meant an undershirt. I suppose "weskit" might be bearer the mark, but to me that conjures up sewn things with buttons. And I'm referring to knitted things, either pullovers or buttoned.

I'm just thinking of making hubby a plain ribbed hat, like a stocking cap but not long. I haven't decided what kind of stitch to use for the scarf; there are so many choices! A friend of mine makes scarves out of wide ribbing that are almost double fabric when not stretched out. That might be the way to go.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:35 pm

I have an argyll vest that I love and adore . . . :D And yes Morwenna, I do believe that "vest" can mean undershirt in Britian. I wouldn't be surprised if they refer to a knitted vest as a "sleeveless jumper" . . . ;)

I can't wait to see another of Rose's murals my ownself! I absolutely love the birchtrees/chickadees . . . I just know whatever she paints is going to be gorgeous . . . and we'll want pictures, missy. Mmmmhmmmm . . . ;) :D

I finished out a needleful of thread on the Fords project when I got home from work today (whilst hubby cooked dinner, LOL). Then we had to go across town to a meeting for the Mustang club and by the time I got home, well, it's just too late to do much except down a cuppa and crawl into bed.

Lith, I heartily agree about shiny new floss! And your progress looks fabulous too. :) I plan to work on the Dragon on the weekend. I always do better then, probably because my eyes aren't so tired. ;)

Speaking of tired eyes, I muuuuust sleeeeeep . . .

SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby Morwenna » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:51 pm

Yes, I know that "jumper" in Britain is what we call a sweater; I do wonder what they call a sleeveless dress that's meant to be worn over a blouse or turtleneck! :)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Silmarie » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:42 am

Scibbly, you go girl! just don't get too worn out, spring fatigue is waiting just around the corner....

This weekend I spent at a seminar for teachers of afternoon care. It was FUN!

We did boxes and paper flowers and plastic jewellery and deco boxes and and...and....I'm hyperventilating:)
I have some piccies but don't know where I can upload them. And they're VERY inferior quality-wise. I don't have a proper camera and I don't think I'm getting one anytime soon.

As for other crafts, I just finished making a berry doodah (I don't know what to call it...the idea was nicked from a thingy made by Jamie Oliver (I think)...).
Since I know there are some berry-loving ladies here, I'll share:
I got some puff pastry, rolled it thinly, then sprinkled it with cinnamon and brown sugar. Then I rolled them up and cut into smaller portions, then rolled it thinly again. I stuffed the thin sheets into a muffin tray and baked them for a bit, until golden brown.
In the meantime, I got some frozen berries, mixed and cooked them for a bit with some sugar.
I also opened a case of mascarpone and spiced it up with some sugar, cinnamon and a bit of chocolate (seriously, just a bit otherise it usurps the taste)
Combined everything and pigged out :D

Edit: by the by, can anyone please tell me what a craft stick is? I'd like to make this http://www.bhg.com/holidays/chirping-cricket/ with the kids.
Silmarie
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:02 pm

Hello again Sil.

Craft sticks come in many sizes and such, but mostly they look like popsicle sticks. Put craft sticks in Google and you will get loads of ideas from it. Your project looks really cute for the chirping crickets. :D And I can see where the craft sticks would come in handy. They are probably just called something different in your part of the world.
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!OldToby

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby SilverScribe » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:32 pm

. . . saunters in looking guilty . . .

Mmmm Sil, those Berry Doodahs sound scrummy! If I wasn't so full from supper and a whole pot of tea, I'd be drooling . . . ;)

Well, I did a bad/good thing today. After work, I raced over to my absolute favourite Craft Store because I needed some blending threads (a spool of blue and one of gold) for the Celestial Dragon and I know these two lovely ladies who own/operate the store have every colour and weight of blending thread in the universe! So, I found exactly what I needed. They also had the "oatmeal" material I wanted, but I ended up with evenweave instead of hardanger, but that's okay, I've been wanting to try evenweave forever. Soooo, aside from some #26 needles, I figured that's all I'd buy . . . :roll: Ah. Yeah. Suuuure.

I walked out of there with two more blisters of glass beads, some Thread Heaven (LITH!! YOU HAVE TO GET THIS STUFF!! It makes metalic thread glide through your material like silk!! ) a packet of #28 needles, a pair of cute little magnifying clip-on lenses, two new patterns, some "Stitchers Lotion" (a non-greasy lotion specially formulated for "stitchers") and what else . . . oh, and a skein of floss in a colour that for some reason, I missed getting when I got the rest. All in all, I spent over $140 in that place!!! :shock: One of the reasons I don't go there terribly often, LOLOL. That blew my "craft" allowance for several months . . . good thing hubby is out of town . .. :whistle:

One of the patterns is new, it's a John Clayton "Elegance" pattern called Georgiana. It will be utterly perfect for a friend I have in the States, she's our "Southern Belle" so I'll stitch it and frame it for her for a present. :D The other pattern is of Valerie Pfeiffer's adorable baby robins; I have three of her baby robin watercolors in our guest room, so this will go very nicely with the set.

I'll get piccies on the weekend. ;)

*whew* Now I just have to find time to DO all these projects, LOLOL.

I need to retire. :P

:D:D:D
SilverScribe

Postby Silmarie » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:22 pm

rwhen thanks for the explanation...just one thing...what are they made of? plastic? if so, we have coffee stirers that look like them. wood? in that case I'm down poo creek without a paddle. I can sincerely say I have never come across a craft stick in my country and I've been crafting with kids for oh....years, let's just say, because decades makes me sound old :D

Scribbly!! :shock: :shock: :shock: you're going to have so much FUN with your new crafty loot. Don't worry about the money, you NEED all those things. Sure, people say that it's just wasting money, spending it on craft supplies but they always forget the joy and thrill these supplies bring us and the fact that they make the world so beautiful for a few hours I think justifies the money we have spent.

People don't understand that money is just silly pieces of paper that we all pretend are worth an hour's work or a meal. I can't eat money or wear it until I decide to spend it on berries or a new pair of shoes or a box of beads. The difference is, a box of beads brings me joy for days, even year, while money brings nothing in itself.

Never mind me, I've pigged out on berry doodahs today and am feeling a bit communist :D

By the way check out this lovely site: http://foldingtrees.com
I found a page via foldingtrees.com that features a horribly simple way to make a paper flower. I tried making it and it looks fab. I'm gonna make some in class tomorrow and I'll try to upload it somewhere you can see :D
Oh yeah the page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wendyfanchung/2538696039/in/set-72157603397805127/ it's just too cool for words and super easy, even my 6-year-olds are going to make perfect flowers.
Silmarie
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:15 pm

I love/hate going into craft stores. I want everything I see. And I buy almost nothing, because I know what'll happen when 90% of it gets into the house: it'll sit forever! The last time I bought seed beads and bugle beads (which I still look at in the stores) I never finished the projects. Of course, I did finish three projects with them first... But that was in--gasp--1971!! And every so often I come across some remnant of that batch of stuff.

Can anyone help me out with the following, or else I'll have to make it up as I go along from looking at the examples I bought:

Bead dolls.

There's a style of doll made with beads, safety pins, and doll heads and sometimes hands. Once I saw kits for making angels that way, but I've never seen patterns for sale. And I've never seen the heads either; I'd probably have to order them. I've bought 8 of these dolls in the last decade, from two different crafters. And I'd dearly love to make my own! I have so many ideas for their design.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Lithtaur16 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:34 pm

:shock: :) I like the sound of it alright but what is it, precious?! Does it need washing out later?

Considering the pain metallics are, I'm sure it'll be more than worth it. :) I think right now I lose a quarter of a skein to fraying every time I try working with the stuff. I look for it immediately. Thanks Scribbles! :D

No progress to report on the Dragon right now. :( With school starting up again it'll be slow going.

I did have my own small piece of win today with cooking though. :) I successfully made chocolate chip pancakes on a stove that has been the devil incarnate to my pan-made stuff for over six months.

Morwenna- I've never heard of the dolls made with safety pins before but mom has a bunch of Christmas ornaments that are cloth dolls with beaded strands for arms and legs. They're basically hackysack bodys, covered in doll cloths, that have painted wood spheres for heads.
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:23 pm

They're decorative dolls with skirts made out of bead-covered safety pins in the form of a cone or dome and torsos made out of beads wired together with the head on top, and arms made of beaded wire or chenille bits. A couple of mine have little hands, and parasols made in the same technique as the skirts only smaller and flatter.

I suppose I could do it by examining them closely, but I'd really rather have proven instructions.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:17 pm

Morwenna, I tried Googling "bead Dolls" but didn't see anything like what you described with safefy pins . . . they sound interesting. Do you have a picture of these perhaps?

Lith, it's okay about the Dragon, I haven't worked on it very much this week either since work has been so brutally busy and I get home so tired I literally can't see. I tried working on it when I was tired last week, and ended up having to pull out a bunch of work, so . . . . hubby is out of town now for a few days, so I may get a couple of hours in tomorrow evening. I'll get pictures. ;)

Sil, that's the BEST explanation of why money isn't important, not only for craft supplies but for lots of other things too. Like a bicycle, you can't ride the money but buy a bike and it brings you hours and hours of fun and exercise and enjoyment. (Not to mention cheap transportation, LOL) ;) I have to admit, I'm soooo enjoying all these projects and I've discovered that having more than one on the go at a time actually makes it more interesting. When I get tired of one design, I pick up the next . . . LOL. Although I have to admit, the Dragon requires a level of concentration that I'm not used to . .. :shock:

Oooo, those roses are puuuurty. So simple, yet very eyecatching. We'll want pictures, you know! ;)

SilverScribe

Postby rwhen » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:45 pm

Sil. Yes they are made of wood. But I would think you could duplicate them with other sorts of pliable wood and cut it with an exacto knife. Plastic would most likely work too. Nice roses. :D

Morwenna, I also do not know the bead dolls you are referring to, but for some reason...there is something in the back of my brain trying to get out that tells me I have seen these in the South before...Louisianna. Let me think on it.

Lith...congrats on the chocolate-chip pancakes. Pancakes :love: and chocolate-chip used to be my FAVORITE...:D

Scribbles...I also know how working hard can really tear it out of you for doing other things. Hopefully this weekend you will be able to enjoy your projects.

AND....I got inspired last night and found all my stuff for making the dream catchers. I have enough materials, beads, rings, suede and cat gut with do-dads to make two. So guess what my weekend project will be? ;)

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby SilverScribe » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:13 pm

LOL rwhen, hmmmm lemme guess . . . Dream Catchers? :D:D

Well, I worked from home today and while it was another deluge kind of day, at least I didn't have any travel time . . . ;) After supper, I was able to relax on the couch for a little over an hour and work on the Dragon . . . it's slow going but beginning to see some real progress. I'll get pictures up on Saturday morning (when the light is good - which offsets my crappiness at taking pictures, LOL.) ;)

I'll also get pics up of the other patterns. They're both beeyoootiful. ;)

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fur meine Mutter . . . Sie sind für immer in meinem Herzen . . .

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe

Postby truehobbit » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:07 am

Oooh, Rose, you got an inspiration from a photo of mine! Awesome! :D :love: Hope to see the result soon. :D

Lith and Scribbles, good progress on the dragon. I'd never have the patience to blot out each and every single stitch I made on the pattern. :shock: Besides, it ruins the pattern - why would you do that? You couldn't make the design again, then... (not that you'd want to with something like the dragon, I guess, but still...)

The Fords of Isen is looking good already. :)

Re, pearl dolls, Sil, I think I know what you mean but I have no clue how they might be made.

At the crafts shop yesterday, I saw a demonstration for making origami boxes - awesome stuff!
I like doing origami, but it annoys me that you end up having this unwieldy paper construction you can do little else with but throw it away, so it seems a bit pointless. Those boxes, though, were pretty sturdy and would make great gift wrappers - I'm thinking of going to the class this demonstration advertised to learn how to do them. :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby SilverScribe » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:35 pm

Hobbi, I make a photocopy of the pattern. ;) I usually blow it up a bit too, since some patterns have symbols that are hard to read (mostly if here's quarter stitches. ) ;) And i have to mark off what I've done, or I'll get lost in the counting. Smaller pictures are easier, but these two are just too big to risk getting lost and really botching up the counts. :)

Mmmm, do get pictures of your origami boxes if you take the class. I'd love to learn origami myself, but I don't think I have the patience for it. ;)

I'm looking forward to tomorrow. For the first time in a long time I don't have to work this weekend, and hubby is going to be mostly gone. I can relax and stitch in good, morning light. My eyes will be rested too. ;)

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fur meine Mutter . . . Sie sind für immer in meinem Herzen . . .

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe

Postby PatriotBlade » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:06 pm

*peeks her head in*

Hi.

I'm PB, and I'm a crafter.

I knit scarves and baby blankets, I also make jewelry. My prefered medium is wire and beads. I know how to sew a little, and can do both plastic canvas, and cross stitch, though it has been many years since I did either one. In general, I have a crafty brain and can make about anything when I set my mind to it.

*tries to dart back out*
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:14 pm

Origami! That's something I haven't thought of in a long time, and I never really learned it. But I did know of one woman who used to make little origami dragons out of ribbon; they were about 4 or 5 inches long and she used to give them out to children or sell them in batches to dealers who'd pepper their displays with them and then either sell them or give them out to kids. I had a few once; heaven knows where they ended up. The tails were four-plaited, and the wings were cut to shape; the bodies looked like regular origami.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Lithtaur16 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:12 pm

I used to have a book on how to make things out of paper. :) My parents still have a pair of cranes I made them for Xmas years ago.

Taking a break from the dragon the past two days let me finish this pair of cuties. :) I think I'll frame them and name them after our apartment's kittehs. :D
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3083/3412589421_29d12dfe2e_o.jpg
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:19 pm

Awww, Lith! :D :heart:

Somewhere in this place I have the directions, copied from a library book, for how to make May-baskets (a sort-of-origami technique). My mother taught me how many decades ago but I totally forgot over the years and had to research them for something at church several years ago.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:56 pm

Lithtaur16 wrote:Taking a break from the dragon the past two days let me finish this pair of cuties. :)

Oooo, they're adorable, Lith. :) And I WISH I had taken a break from the Dragon . . . I did a pile of stitching this morning, and this afternoon, had to yank some of it out. Here's what I did this morning . . . I ended up tearing out that whole gold loop . . . I missed a full and quarter stitch and ended up four stitches out . . . :bang:

The good news is, I made more progress after that and when I counted the spaces between the two sides, I was bang on. ;) I'll get another pic tomorrow afternoon if I remember. ;)

Oh, and here's those two new patterns that I bought on Tuesday. The Pfieffer robins I'll frame for the upstairs guest room (where there are 3 watercolour Pfieffer robins), and the "Suthun Lady", I'm going to matte and frame and send to my friend in Florida as a gift. I'm also going to change the hat colour to shades of deep pink, since pink is her absolutely favourite colour. :D

Of course, time is the question, LOL. I need more of it. ;)

. . . snags PB before she can sneak back out . . .

Oh no you don't. We wants to hear more precious . . . and we'd love some piccies if you have them. :)

SilverScribe

Postby Lithtaur16 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:44 pm

oooo Scribe, I forgot to mention this in my last post. I know you said you have trouble taking pics... do you have a scanner in your printer? That's how I got that pic of the kittehs. :) The colors come out so beautifully even though it's lower tech.
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:32 am

PatriotBlade, welcome to the Crafters! :D

I bought some wire a while ago, because I've got so many shells and pretty things I found on the wayside, and I thought I could turn some of them into pendants...just by trying to re-create the wire-jewellery I see on the web...haven't tried yet, though. :)

Scribbles, ahhhh, photocopies - clever! :D

Yikes, two more big projects in the middle of two big ones? :shock:
Love the chickadees, though. :)

Lith, the kitties are very cute! :D

Re, pics, most digital cameras have a very decent close-up function these days. :)

And I've just opened a new kit - another one of those I got in one of my "sale" buying frenzies - and it was one of those 'sort out your own colours'-type we talked about in the other thread. Spent over half an hour trying to determine oranges, violets and pinks. :roll: It's not so many colours, but it's a sunset scene, so they are all pretty similar hues.
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Morwenna » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:54 pm

Scribbles, those are gorgeous! I love those robins especially!

As for the lady, well, if it was me, I'd be Perfectly content with the blue & purple... :D:D:D

(In case you haven't guessed, they're so much my favorite colors that they were also my wedding colors! :))
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:10 pm

Lithtaur16 wrote:oooo Scribe, I forgot to mention this in my last post. I know you said you have trouble taking pics... do you have a scanner in your printer? That's how I got that pic of the kittehs. :) The colors come out so beautifully even though it's lower tech.

Ooooh LITH! You're a GENIUS!! I never thought of using the scanner, but I'll sure give it a try. Then I won't have to worry about what the light is like for pictures! :D:D Thank you!!

Mmmm Hobbi, a sunset . . . I bet the colours are gorgeous. Do try and get a pic up of the picture if you can. :) And I know, I must have rocks in my head lately. If I get all of these projects going at once, I'll be doing five pictures at once! :shock: I don't think I'll be doing the robins very soon . . . ;)

Morwenna, blue happens to be my very favourite colour too, followed closely by violet/purple. :) But my friends absolute fave colour is pink, so that's why I'm going to adjust the hat. I'll leave the brilliant blue ribbon though. I think it'll set off the deep pinks I have in mind quite nicely. ;)

SilverScribe

Postby PatriotBlade » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:50 pm

I don't currently have any pics :( , but I intend to remedy that soon, because I've started a website to host pics of products for small time crafters who don't make enough stuff to get a booth, but want to get rid of their execess projects. It's called "Our Littlest Boutique"and can be found, (what little there is of it) here. ---> http://ourlittlestboutique.zoomshare.com

It's been a lo-o-o-ong time since I did any oragami. I used to be able to make a ball, a church, and a heart-shaped card from memory. Not any more. :(
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:36 pm

What a great idea PB. Do keep us posted as the website grows and you get stuff done for it . . . :)

Well, after many, many hours, a pile of frustration and a few bouts of burning eyes, I've managed a little headway on the Celestial Dragon . . . as of today you can make out the curve of his last tail loop, and the start of the very end of his tail. *whew* And yes, that tiny greenish blob below is the top of his nose. ;)

Lith, I tried scanning this but I have to play with my software a bit. The colours in the scanned image were really off and none of the sparkly bits showed up at all. But I'll jiggle it over the weekend and see if I can't get it to work better. In the meantime, the crappy camera shots will have to do, LOL . . .

SilverScribe

Postby rwhen » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:11 am

Your crappy camera shots look good to me, Scribbles. I don't even have a camera telephone (but I might get one shortly if things turn in my direction).

So I did the two dream catchers. One is in turquoise with turquoise beading and eagle feathers. The center piece hanging from the bottom is of a ceramic rainbow that has two bands of turquoise coloring in it on the top and bottom. I am very pleased with how this one came out. I made one before that was lovely and gave it away. I will keep this one.

The second one was smaller and done in a deep red suede with silver beads and doodads. The center piece hanging from the bottom is an inverted belt buckle that has a stag etched into it. It came out good, but I am not as pleased as I am with the turquoise one.

Shoulder on crafters.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby truehobbit » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:39 am

That's pretty good going, Scribbles, and it looks great! :D

I doubt I'd have started on the nose, though, so far away from the next stitch - way too risky for a counting error. :shock:

I've started my sunset scene, and as yet am not convinced. The background sky-colours are all in half cross-stitch, and the fabric has a pretty simple thread-count, so you see a lot of white in between the single stitches.
It's probably be meant to be seen from really far away later.

I think there's probably also a mistake in the pattern. There was a thread of white, and I wondered where you need it, there's no visible white on the picture. So I searched and there are exactly two (!)backstitches in white quite pointlessly in the middle of the pattern... :?
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Silmarie » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:57 am

Just a quick hello to let y'all know I haven't left you! I've been subbing like crazy in the past two weeks (*sniffles* I dun like big kids :( )

I've taken this free hour to check what you lovelies have been up to and MAN am I impressed.

I'm sending good vibes to all of you crafters! Hope I'll be able to at least whip up some easter deco.

I even had my SO make us a presmec (pronounce press-metz)

Whazzat? http://zupnije.rkc.si/crnuce/vt/slike/butare/260.jpg
This is what they look like in the northern part of my country.

This is what they look like where I come from:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/00/VelikonocnaButarica2.JPG/637px-VelikonocnaButarica2.JPG

and we call them butarica (pronounce boo-ta-ree-tza)
And usually we buy them from little old ladies in the market.

Yes, even me :oops: the self-proclaimed crafter.

Anyhoo, at least we'll be making the pirhi (peer-hee). http://skofja-loka1.skavt.net/znanje/pirh.jpg this is coloured using onion peels. It's wrapped in an old stocking, some grass 'n flowers put in to make decorations and then boiled silly.

Of course, certain regions take the whole pirhi thing more seriously http://www.rokodelstvo.si/files/Rokodelci/41/big_165.jpg

And how are your easter eggs? :D
Silmarie
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth