We makes things! A thread for crafters

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby SilverScribe » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:56 pm

Hey Sil! wow, those flower, herb, berry bouquet thingys look beautiful! Are they an Easter tradition where you are? :)

I won't be doing eggs this year, toooo tired, hubby's working over Easter and so apparently, am I . . . grrrrrr. Don't ask.

Mmm, I remember both my mom and my grandmother using onion skins to dye eggs. My mom would go one step further too, she'd boil the lead from an indelible pencil and then wash the onion dyed eggs until they took on the look of an oil spill, LOL. Then, when they were dry, she'd polish them to a beautiful shine. Of course, you couldn't eat the egg inside if the shell was cracked and the ink had leaked in . . . something about lead poisoning or some such nonsense . .. ;)

Hmmm, all my Ukranian friends call those fancy eggs "pysanka". We have a giant one over here in Vegreville . . . check it out . . . ;):D

Happy Easter Crafting y'all!!

:D:D:D
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby PatriotBlade » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:19 pm

The web site is being updated in another window as I type. (keep in mind I still have to load the product pics...) so stop on by a little later and tell me what you think.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Silmarie » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:01 am

Scribbles: yup. as for the pysanka, we have pisanka as well. The lurvely bit about living in a country that's been divided among its bigger neighbours for a bajillion years (it's difficult to be precise, what with one thing and another...), having mostly rural inhabitants and a tendency to overcomplicate things is having a lot of words for same things. Or same words for different things. Or having completely different customs in a space of two cabbage fields.

Over-reacting much :D

lead-colouring seems like a fun thing to do.... maybe I'll try it sometime. Currently I'm surering from an overdose of eggs and sweet bread. Don't mention horseradish to me.

First day of work hit me like a ton of orcs today. 8 work days and counting....
Silmarie
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:17 pm

LOL Sil!! I love the customs in the cabbage fields remark . . . files it away for future reference . . . ;)

Well, I've made some progress on the Celestial Dragon, but with working such long hours even over the Easter weekend, there's less of him done than I'd like, but ah well.

Once again, my photographic skills suck hugely so the picture hardly does justice to the subltle shadings, the pearlescent highlights and the utterly gorgeous colours . . . but nonetheless, the last tail loop is coming along somewhat . . . ;)

The Fords of Isen are also coming along, but slowly as well due to very, very tired eyes and severe lack of time. I took one look at the Eagle pattern the other day and decided to put that one off until work settles down and I can get more than 4 hours of sleep a night, LOL.

Lith!! How you doin', darlin'?

SilverScribe

Postby Lithtaur16 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:23 pm

:shock: :D :D :D That tail is amazing! Great job Scribbles!

He's about to get really shiny. :) I'm focusing on that one body section and I've gotten three strands of the sky blue filament in without any real mishaps or loses yet. I'm using 12in strands and hope it stays okay until I can get some of that Thread Heaven you mentioned. I can't go any farther without giving him his glitter. :)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3364/3445943035_f0e748ef19_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3661/3446758972_4215cf858d_b.jpg

I have a choice between the head and the claws after the body section :shock: hmmm

I was really bad over the weekend... started another big one (up to four or five now I think :o )
Can you guess what it is yet? ;) :lol: Probably not yet, but soon. :) I'll give you two hints: the pattern author's name is Mayhew and you're looking at the neck.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3576/3446757110_51f049007c_b.jpg

Scribbles, there's no blending or metallics in this one but if you feel like a challege after the dragon then it might be fun... it's more than half something called a three-quarters stitch (smoothes out the spots). You make a half stitch in the necessary direction and then wrap a quarter stitch around it, ending in the center. And two three-quarter stitches are usually back to back so once you make one, you have to push it back a little to find the center of the square to put the new one in the right spot. :shock: :rofl: I was making regular quarter stitches at first until I realized the spots weren't quite like the pic and I reread the instructions. I had to fudge it a little to keep from tearing out practically all the spots in that pic but it looks alright now and I've been doing it the right way since then.
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:46 pm

Lith my friend. I have left you two PM's. When you have a moment, could you please check them? Thanks. :hug:
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!OldToby

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby SilverScribe » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:17 pm

Lithtaur16 wrote:Can you guess what it is yet? ;) :lol: Probably not yet, but soon. :) I'll give you two hints: the pattern author's name is Mayhew and you're looking at the neck.

I "cheeted" and looked it up. ;) :D Those cheetahs are wonderful! :D

And your dragon is coming along well too, I can't wait to see pics with more of the "shiny" . . . ;)

I've found being tired isn't a good thing for cross stitch, especially a demanding pattern. I've made a couple of boo-boos, mostly small ones like missing a quarter stitch here and there . . . but one big one was that I did a blending wrong (one shade off on one thread, only noticeable to me no doubt) and had to carry the mistake for all the stitches in the vicinity, LOL. Ah well. Only God is perfect, Celestial Dragon is gonna have to settle for less-than-perfect . . . ;)

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fur meine Mutter . . . Sie sind für immer in meinem Herzen . . .

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe

Postby truehobbit » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:36 am

Wow, those dragons are beginning to be really shiny! :D

Sil, I love all the traditional Easter things. I'm also very impressed with the traditionally coloured eggs. We used to have a fair/exhibition shortly before Easter, in which artists, folklore crafters and similar geeks ( ;) ) presented their decorated eggs - I couldn't find any decent web link, so I suspect this was discontinued (the last time I went to look must have been in the 1990s).
Very rarely I make a lasting egg decoration from empty, blown eggs, and for hard-boiled eggs that are eaten, I like to make some quick and easy decoration. I like to use the same colouring/decorating set each year - the result is here. :D
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Spirit_of_the_Willow » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:02 am

SilverScribe wrote: Only God is perfect, Celestial Dragon is gonna have to settle for less-than-perfect . . . ;)

One of my favorite quotes is: "The man who never made a mistake, never made anything."

I am working at the moment on creating a giant stuffed sheep for our sixth grade Rennaissance Faire. I've never made a stuffed animal before, and it's tons of fun! i'll post a picture when I'm done. I've got to attach the head and legs and then stuff it and finish the detail work. :D
Spirit_of_the_Willow
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:31 pm

Ooooo, a stuffed sheep! Although, I wouldn't say that too loud around Radesh . . . ;) :D I'm sooo looking forward to the pictures. :)

The Dragon is coming along, sloooowly but surely; I have his tail nearly done. :D The biggest problem I have right now is the amount of overtime I'm working, both late in the evenings and weekends too. I'm just too tired to really enjoy working on the Dragon when I finally manage to log off of work, not to mention my eyes feel like two burning coals in a bucket of boar fat . . . sheesh.

I'll be working on the Fords of Isen project tomorrow evening with my regular bi-weekly ladies "Stitch n' Bi . . . " er . . . craft circle. ;) There's less to haul around than the Dragon project and I think the less challenging pattern will be a nice break, LOL.

SilverScribe

Postby Silmarie » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:00 am

you guys, I totally put this thread on hold :cry: I'm so ashamed....
Besides making a ton of puffy stars (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2230484/how_to_fold_an_origami_lucky_puffy_star/), I've been too busy with job (losta subbing for me, while two other teachers are in Portugal..) and my dancing to create.

My friend's got her b-day coming up and I'll try and make her a post-it book. (http://greetingarts.typepad.com/greetingarts/2008/06/sticky-notes-books-or-sticky-notebooks.html)

Scribbles&Lith I'm glad to see such progress in such a short time :) those thingies are gonna be PUR-fekkt

Willow, stuffed sheep! that's like, y'know, the coolest thing EVAH! Pics, pics, pics!

Truehobbit, that looks like the kind of eggs we do from time to time. Especially those with round stickers... you put them in hot water, right? and it clings to the egg something wicked :D my grandad makes them. When I was a kid, we had some stickers you had to put in cold water, then they'd curl and uncurl and you had to transfer them to the coloured egg. MUY difficult to do, even when I grew up, but they had such a lovely retro feel to them, those pirhi.

*eep* late for my dancing! seeya!
Silmarie
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:27 pm

I finally finished a scarf that I had started back in Dec!!! will have pics soon.

This evening I need to make buisiness cards for the website and put up more product pics there.

And tomorrow I work. It never ends...
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:02 pm

Oh, Sil, I love those stars! Isn't geometry wonderful? :)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:10 pm

Sil, yes, it's some shrinking plastic - put it in boiling water and it'll shrink within a second. 8) My favourites are the bunny faces, though. :D

I think the scrap book makes a lovely present. :)

PB, congrats on finishing the scarf, am curious for the pics. :D
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby SilverScribe » Sun May 03, 2009 8:50 pm

I think those stars are tres cool. And so easy to make! I'll have to have a go at them this fall, I'm thinking a couple dozen of them would make a really nice, light mobile for the front entrance for Christmas. :)

I'm curious to see pictures of the scarf my ownself, PB. ;)

And speaking of pictures, I'll try and get an updated one of the Celestial Dragon and the Fords of Isen up this coming weekend. They're coming along, slowly but surely. ;) Lith darlin', how you doin'?

SilverScribe

Postby PatriotBlade » Mon May 04, 2009 9:53 pm

RL has been rather bearish lately, but I hope to get pics up for you all very soon!
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Wed May 06, 2009 5:56 pm

Scribbles, that's a wonderful idea! With glitter sprinkled on them, maybe. Different sizes. Oh my head is spinning with ideas!! (But do I ever follow through? Silly question...)

And it's not too early to think about Christmas. Though I do have to get through Pennsic first (early August)... Hubby needs more tunics!!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Lithtaur16 » Thu May 07, 2009 8:31 pm

SilverScribe wrote:And speaking of pictures, I'll try and get an updated one of the Celestial Dragon and the Fords of Isen up this coming weekend. They're coming along, slowly but surely. ;) Lith darlin', how you doin'?

=:) He has a foot... :rofl: :) Basically, he's coming along in short sprints whenever I'm off work and not studying or working on the turtle ornaments for the turtle hospital in NC.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3645/3512175430_4363a3a876_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3401/3511364597_eec4c40da2_b.jpg

Oh and... my big cat is a wee bit stealthier than a cheetah, Scribe. ;) But your on the right continent. :) I'll try to get a bit more of her done this weekend too.
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Mon May 11, 2009 10:14 am

Turtle hospital??
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Lithtaur16 » Mon May 11, 2009 10:48 am

:) The Karen Beasley Sea Turtle Hospital on Topsail Island. I have a quote from the director in my siggie.
I did an internship with them almost two years ago (dang... been that long already? :( ) and I helped with the May release last year. :) Since I don't have the resources to help out all the time I try to tell everyone I know about them and make ornaments for them to sell that their gift shop or at local craft fairs at home. :) I have one original design so far and I'm working on more, one for each turtle species. I'll try to put a pic up here later.
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Mon May 11, 2009 2:35 pm

Very cool! :)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Fri May 15, 2009 5:02 pm

Great close-up pic, Lithtaur, thanks! I can see the effects of the blended threads. Way cool! 8)

I made this crocheted heart for Mother's Day. I'm quite proud of how nicely it turned out, as it didn't look it while I was making it, and I wasn't sure if I was understanding the instructions correctly. :)

truehobbit
Mariner

Postby SilverScribe » Fri May 15, 2009 10:25 pm

Oh hobby, that heart is beautiful! Don't you just love it when something turns out so well? :)

I wish my scanner rendered as beautifully as Lith's, unless that 's a photograph . . . y'all know how bad my picture taking skills are, LOL!

My Dragon now has a completed tail and I'm well into the next loop of his body. I'll try and get a picture up this weekend, since I FINALLY have a weekend off from work . . . :D

We're off to a Show n' Shine car show tomorrow, but I should be able to get something up on Sunday.

Have a great Saturday, crafters!

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fur meine Mutter . . . Sie sind für immer in meinem Herzen . . .

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe

Postby SilverScribe » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:34 pm

Well, well, well, here it is 6 months down the road and I never did get a picture up of what progress I'd made on my Celestial Dragon . . . :blush:

Which is probably just as well, since the summer saw me unable to set more than a few dozen more stitches, on ANYTHING. :roll: Too many car shows, too little time, LOL.

But with the onset of the colder weather and, dare I say it, winter *cringe*, I usually have more time to spend on crafty sorts of things.

Sooo, how is everyone else's projects coming? Lith? Have you made any progress on your Dragon?

SilverScribe

Postby truehobbit » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Hi scribbles - thanks for bumping the thread! :D I've been wondering about your dragon a couple of times actually. :D

I also saw your previous post right back in May and meant to say thanks for the kind words ( :hug: ), but I couldn't think of anything else to say, so I put it off for later... :oops:

I've finished another little gift design in cross-stitch as well as the evening scene I thought I'd mentioned (hmmh, must have been in the cross-stitch thread :) ), so I should put up some more pics.

I'm now working on my christmasy pillowcase again, which is such a lot of work because most of it is in a metallic thread. I'm sure I've complained about metallic threads before now, but it bears repeating. ARRRGGGHHHH!!!

Having finished with one kit (as mentioned above) I'm tempted to start another, a nativity scene that I ordered some time last year. But, then, I do try to concentrate on my pillow case...

I do cross-stitch in summer, too (I don't do knitting or so in summer), but I've also been nice and busy in my leisure time with our garden, that is harvesting, and making jams and things from the harvest. :D
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby PatriotBlade » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:52 pm

Eek!!! I never did finish posting everything! And I've been so busy this season, I haven't worked on ANY of my planned projects! This MUST be remedied!
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:11 pm

truehobbit wrote:Hi scribbles - thanks for bumping the thread! :D I've been wondering about your dragon a couple of times actually. :D

I also saw your previous post right back in May and meant to say thanks for the kind words ( :hug: ), but I couldn't think of anything else to say, so I put it off for later... :oops:

Oh no worries. I got real busy and assumed everyone else was real busy as well, LOL. :D

Will you be posting pictures of your other little gift design and the pillowcase? And I agree about metallics . . . AAARRRGGGHHHH!! The Celestial Dragon is LOADED with metallic blending threads, at least every second blended colour has one of the metallics included. I usually make those strands much shorter and re-load my needle more often, just to head off the inevitable fraying and stretching that seems to plague the metallic threads.

Mmmm homemade jams and preserves, sounds yummy. Unfortunately, this year was a poor summer for produce for us, but next year I have some new plans that might work out better . . . ;) What sorts of 'jams and things' have you been making? :)

I'll take an updated picture of the Dragon this coming weekend, along with a pair of adorable Christmas Decorations I made at our church's Christmas Craft Night this past weekend.

PB, great to see you back and don't feel bad. I think summer is a low activity time for lots of crafters.

SilverScribe

Postby truehobbit » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:52 pm

While waiting for the Scribe's adorable Christmas decorations, here are a few decorations I made just before Christmas. They are just coloured beads on wire, but I love how shiny they look. :D

Small star

Small and bigger star

Biggest variety

I first made them five or six years ago, but each couple of years or so I remember them and make another few.

Scribbles, I'm curious about yours now. :D

I'll try to remember to put more pics of my stitching up. :D

truehobbit wrote: Having finished with one kit (as mentioned above) I'm tempted to start another, a nativity scene that I ordered some time last year. But, then, I do try to concentrate on my pillow case...

And I succumbed to the temptation. :D :whistle:
Still busy with the pillow case, too (have made as much progress with it this year as never before :D ).
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby SilverScribe » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:36 pm

Oh hobby, those beaded stars are beautiful! I love them, I bet they make your tree look fantastic. :)

A few years ago, I made these huge snowflakes, but never managed to get the ladder waaaaaaay up to the huge window above our front door to hang them. Well, this year, I finally made the effort, LOL . . . when I take them down however, I'll be finishing them off with the mother-of-pearl glitter they were supposed to get . . . :blush:

And here are the two adorable little ornaments I made this year at our church's Christmas Craft Night. They're little wooden figures mounted on a little wooden star. The ladies who do these Craft nights had assembled all the materials into little "kits" . . . it was a great time to just chat and relax and have fun. Of course, the huge dessert table down the centre of the gym didn't hurt, either. ;)

I too, succumbed to a new kit :blush:. I'm hoping to get this stitched for Chinese New Year for one of the most amazing ladies I know, Amazing Amy of Chicken For Lunch. It's a fantastic lunch place in the foot court of the office tower across from building where I work. She and her husband also own The Lingnan, one of the oldest and best chinese restaurants here in town. She is amazing because if you show up at Chicken for Lunch twice, she'll then remember not only your name, but what you like to order. Seriously, this woman has won awards from everyone and their dog. It helps that she has a bright, funny, cheery personality and is as humble as pie . . . everyone absolutely loves her to bits. :)

SilverScribe

Postby heliona » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:40 pm

Well, I'm ashamed to say that I haven't made anything in forever! :blush: Well, I've made biscuits, does that count? ;)

I have found my knitting, however, so perhaps I'll manage to muster up enthusiasm to start again.

Hobby, I recognise those stars. Thank you - they look great on our tree. :heart: If I'm very good and I remember, I'll take a photo tomorrow to show you. :)
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth