NZ tours

Have a Tolkien-inspired event you want to let people know about? Have a recap from a recent moot you were at? Come on in and discuss everything about events!

NZ tours

Postby The EYE » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:59 pm

Hi everyone,

im a newcommer to the forums and was just wondering if anyone has done the LOTR's tours in New Zealand (prob a stupid question). But i just wanna know which tours are better than others, wont be doing a full helicoptor tour like some companies offer due to lack of funds.

cheers
The EYE
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Arwenelf » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:41 pm

I didn't do any of the guided tours, but I got a LOTR guide book when I was there and it told me how to get to most of the places. There aren't many things left standing but you can tell where things were filmed. In Matamata you can visit a hobbit hole, but it cost $50! There is a "Welcome to Hobbiton" sign in the middle of the road you should get your pic taken by (Matamata is on the north Island). I'd go with the book personally.
Arwenelf
Ranger of the North

Postby noela » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:57 am

I did the "In the footsteps of LOTR" and the Hobbiton tour earlier this year, both very good and at reasonable cost. Also got 2 guide books and I am going back next year, on a drive yourself holiday, for 4/6 weeks and will try and do as many sites as I can, while doing a slow tour round the most beautifull , Country i have seen outside Australia and i have seen a few.

There are also good tours in the South Island, but was too far away from port, as I was on a cruise at the time and would not have got back to the ship in time for departure.

If you cannot afford much, see about hiring a car and get the tour guides. there is still a heap of stuff available. try one of the bookstores for the guide.
noela
Shield Bearer

Postby The EYE » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:50 pm

thanks guys,

looks like the guide books is the way to go. Cant wait to get down there and relive some of the scenes.
The EYE
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Ponyboy » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:26 am

The EYE wrote:thanks guys,

looks like the guide books is the way to go. Cant wait to get down there and relive some of the scenes.

Look up Ian Brodie on Facebook...he'll guide you in the right direction. :wink:
Ponyboy
Shield Bearer

Return to Events