Next British Moot?

Have a Tolkien-inspired event you want to let people know about? Have a recap from a recent moot you were at? Come on in and discuss everything about events!

When and where would you prefer the potentially next British moot?

Ireland - in the spring?
11%
Manchester - in the autumn (next couple of months)?
No votes
Manchester - in the spring?
44%
York - in the autumn (next couple of months)?
No votes
York - in the spring?
22%
Some other time & place?
22%

Total votes : 9

Next British Moot?

Postby heliona » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:38 pm

So, there was some discussion whilst at Oxford about having another moot sometime in the autumn.

Anyone have any ideas? Wilko and I will be going to York next week and in visits before we have thought it might be a nice place to moot - the only problem that I can see with it is a place to stay.

Manchester, anyone?

Also, what's the feeling on a moot in Ireland next year? (In particular, Alatar, how do you feel about that?! :D)

I just wanted to put it out there to get people thinking about mooting. :) (And in no way whatsoever in any form am I putting myself forward to organising anything!! :D)
Last edited by heliona on Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Hobbituk » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:13 pm

I'd never say no to a UK moot being organised! :D

Only thing is my current...circumstances... mean it's impossible for me to commit and so I can't get involved in any organisation. If someone else wants to take the job on, I'll do my best to get there.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Rosie~HobbitLass » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:54 pm

OOooh.. when we were in Manchester we stayed at a place called 'Last Drop Village hotel'. I guess it is more properly located in Bolton. It was a lovely place, but we weren't there long, only over night and as I did not do the booking I have no idea of the cost.

(this is RoseMorninStar)
Rosie~HobbitLass
Shield Bearer

Postby truehobbit » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:57 pm

Maybe you could check out possible places to stay in York while you're there, heliona! ;) :D

(I'd love to go to York again, but when I was there a few years ago I was very lucky to be able to stay with a friend, as I hadn't been able to find an affordable hotel within the town.)

I should also have to say that more mooting is pretty much out this year, as I've already spent as much on travelling this year as I should (with an upcoming holiday and another visit to Mr hobby's friends in Britain later). :) Ireland next year sounds like a good idea to me, though. :D

And if people fancy coming to Cologne (or hereabouts) again, I'd even volunteer to organise. :D ;)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby heliona » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:46 pm

Rose, it does look like a lovely place - although perhaps a little too far out of Manchester for the purpose of a moot.

As for York, there isn't actually a problem about finding accommodation, it's just the cost! It depends how much people are prepared to spend. I have found a couple of places that may be suitable, but finding somewhere within a moot budget in the city centre is very difficult. The Racecourse has accommodation which looks like it could be ideal, however it is a little outside of York (apparently 20 minutes' walk to the city centre).

Apparently there is a special advisory service for groups wanting to visit York, so when I'm there I suppose I could pop in and see what they say. But, if there was a York moot:

- what month?
- how many people would be interested?
- how much would you reasonably pay for a room?
heliona

Postby Aravar » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:09 am

I wouldn't mind a York, or a Manchester moot.

At present I would prefer Manchester in the spring because work is fairly hectic up to Christmas.
Aravar
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:27 am

Well, it looks like plans are changing and I may not be going to York anyway, so I won't be able to check things out.

I think I'd rather have a Manchester moot too - it's a bit closer for me and easier to get to! :D (There's no overnight Park & Rides at York, unfortunately, and it's either a drive and two train rides or even more train rides for us to get to York by public transport.)
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby rowanberry » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:59 am

I think that this year, I won't be able to come to any more moots. In the spring, Manchester or Ireland could be possible, though.
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby heliona » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:02 am

Speaking about spring, I think it would have to be either Manchester or Ireland really, won't it?

Perhaps I should put up a poll as to when people would like a moot and where it would be?
heliona

Postby niniel* » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:52 am

Ohh another m00t and so close to the last (well, not separated by 6 or so years like the last time for me! :P )

I'm going to fence-sit and say I don't mind where (Manchester, York or Ireland all seem good to me) and happy to travel a distance as I didn't have to travel at all for the last one.

Spring is fine. I wouldn't like the first two weeks of March though as I have a 'special' birthday coming up and I might have a party (if I ever get to organising one that is! :shock: )

Next summer will be the 10th anniversary for Oxford m00ting, so I suppose we'll be 'doing' Oxford again in the summer?
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:56 am

niniel*, an Oxford moot goes without saying. :D
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby Gungnir » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:35 am

I'm afraid I could not attend a moot in Manchester at any time on ideological grounds.

York would be very nice though.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Aravar » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:57 am

Of course York would mean Hobbituk wouldn't need a Visa.
Aravar
Ranger of the North

Postby Hobbituk » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:53 pm

If it's in Manchester I can just wear that funny disguise I wear to all the other moots.

Apparently some people think I actually look like that!
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Alys » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:25 pm

We've often discussed a Durham moot, and I still quite fancy that, though York would be fine.
Alys

Postby MithLuin » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:30 am

If something were planned in the March 26-April 3rd, 2011 timeframe, I could consider coming. But you all know how good I am at showing up for UK moots..... :(
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:36 pm

If we do have a Moot in York, we need to be careful about who comes along as it is legal to shoot a Scotsman within the city walls with a bow and arrow (except on Sundays...)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Alys » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:18 pm

Darn, and there was me going to bring my bow!
Alys

Postby Inzilbeth » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:35 pm

Oh i dont know!!!!! Money is pretty tight at the moment but i will start saving ,id love to go back to Ireland but ill go with the majority ( as long as its not too expensive :P )
Inzilbeth
Shield Bearer

Postby Diamond of Long Cleeve » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:19 am

MithLuin wrote:If something were planned in the March 26-April 3rd, 2011 timeframe, I could consider coming. But you all know how good I am at showing up for UK moots..... :(

That would be cool, Mith ...

I'd probably be up for a Moot in either York or Durham. :) Depending on my family circs and all.

And I would love another Moot in Ireland. :angel:

Money, time, family circs, etc. permitting, etc etc etc.
Diamond of Long Cleeve
Mariner

Postby heliona » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:53 am

A moot in York is great, however, (and it's a big however) there doesn't seem to be anywhere for a group to stay that is in the centre of town. There's one place that's supposedly ten minutes' walk away, but I think that's extremely optimistic. Otherwise there are just hotels and B&nonsense.

I can't speak for Durham as I've never been.

I personally would love to go to Ireland again, as last time was the first time for me and of course was slightly tinged with sadness. :cry2:
heliona

Postby Alys » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:17 pm

Ireland would be fine with us too, though maybe a weekend rather than a full week?

If we were to go to Durham we could stay in the Castle itself - it's student accommodation and, as we know from Oxford, likely to be basic but in such a fantastic location...
Alys

Postby Hobbituk » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:29 pm

I know I said I wouldn't butt in too much as I can't commit to anything, but...

I think at this stage a moot in Ireland would be pretty much right out for me in the Spring. I'm just not going to have the spare cash by then. Last time I spent far more than I could afford and not just because we were there for a full week. I did LOVE it both times we went though and I'd be really keen to have another one further down the road. Obviously though, I'm just one person and if it's the group preference then no probs... I'll just start saving for Oxford :)

I visited Durham years ago and loved it, but I don't know it very well. Does anyone in our group have much local knowledge, because that is usually pretty helpful.

...and York would be great too if we can solve the accomodation problem.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby niniel* » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:08 pm

Durham is certainly an idea - I've never been before and the student accomodation sounds like a good idea Alys.

Location isn't really a problem for me, but I'm voting for spring rather than this autumn (grandchild imminent and I might be needed!)
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby telcontarian » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:12 am

Durham or York both sound good to me, as I am almost in the middle of both of them at the moment! :D Durham really is a beautiful city - lots of attractions and plenty of waterholes as well. ;) I'll see if I can find out a bit more about Durham. :)
telcontarian
Mariner

Postby Cucalen » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:32 am

*rubs eyes* A moot that is in my area :O Given the choice of Durham or York its Durham all the way. Lots of sights to see as well as a rowing option weather permitting. Lots of nice eating houses as well as some rather good public houses. Wow a moot where I actually might be helpful :P
Cucalen
Rider of the Mark

Postby Cucalen » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:34 am

Forgot to add, Premier Travel Inn in the city centre too
Cucalen
Rider of the Mark

Postby truehobbit » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:52 pm

I think Durham in the spring sounds really interesting. And if we can get student accomodation, that would be cool! :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Cucalen » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:41 am

Student accomodation in the spring will be a no no as the students will still be in Durham. :(
Cucalen
Rider of the Mark

Postby Cucalen » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:07 am

Ok been having a look around for hotels that would best suit us and so far (and probably the only ones feasible) is the Premier Travel Inn and Travelodge. The cheapest is the Travelodge, if we can get the right weekend, group book it with plenty of time in advance then it could be about £20-30 a night! Prem Travel Inn will be a little more but can't see what offers they have for spring because they haven't brought them out yet.

Lots of lovely bars and pubs too all positioned in a pub crawl manner in Durham. There are of course certain establishments that are finer than others.
Eating houses again are plenty. There is an area that is just restaurant chain city but there are some nice places by the river as well that are good value and good quality too. http://www.caferouge.co.uk/location/Durham A personal recommendation of mine, lovely place to eat.
Cucalen
Rider of the Mark

Next

Return to Events