Whispers of a nameless dread--US 2012 moot

Have a Tolkien-inspired event you want to let people know about? Have a recap from a recent moot you were at? Come on in and discuss everything about events!

Postby Axordil » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:10 pm

I'm hoping the distances are not so great as to keep anyone who can get to one from getting to any. Transit possibilities are dense in that part of the country.
Axordil
Mariner

Postby Axordil » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:51 am

No votes in the last 24 hours. If I don't see some in the next 24 hours I will call it for the current leader, Boston, which has a raw majority and then some.
Axordil
Mariner

Postby Axordil » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:41 am

My threat flushed a few more of you out. :D Poll will stay open through tomorrow evening.
Axordil
Mariner

Postby Axordil » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:20 pm

Survey closed. Final results:

NYC
22.2% 6
Boston
63.0% 17
Philadelphia
14.8% 4
Other (please specify) 0.0% 0

So it's off to the city of the bean and the cod! Thanks to everyone who's been researching places in all three cities.

As to picking the weekend: I think we could rank preferences, but much depends on what is available when. What do you all think?
Axordil
Mariner

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:46 pm

Wow!!! I have missed out on all the votes!!! I did not check this forum for sometime and I guess it is my fault..

I hope that somehow we can make one of these moots soon. I don't know if we can make the one in 2012 but we are most definitely interested in getting to one to meet all you wonderful folk. :thumbsup: I will follow this thread now and the one on FB cause I think I have already been invited there.
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Axordil » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:42 pm

watch this space
Axordil
Mariner

Postby Axordil » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:38 pm

Axordil
Mariner

Postby rwhen » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:57 pm

I voted on the date.

After the holidays are over, I promise to get very serious about finding places in or around Boston so that we have a few to vote on in the next few months. I never heard back from the Chamber after three calls to them. :(

Happy Holidays

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:48 am

rwhen, I know it would be time-consuming, but it might be worth your while to write them an email or letter and state that you tried to contact them, and why, and were disappointed they never returned your calls and add that they apparently are not interested in drawing visitors and their money to the Boston area. :)

Hee.

Always...

"I'd rather kiss a Wookie..."

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby Axordil » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:05 pm

Bumping. I will leave the above survey up until Dec. 27. Any later and those with vacations they need to pin down will have issues.
Axordil
Mariner

Postby Axordil » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:05 pm

Survey is closed. Results:

First weekend (Friday June 1-Sunday June 3) 36.8% 7
Second weekend (Friday June 8-Sunday June 10) 5.3% 1
Third weekend (Friday June 15-Sunday June 17) 31.6% 6
Fourth weekend (Friday June 22-Sunday June 24) 15.8% 3
Fifth weekend (Friday June 29-Sunday July 1) 10.5% 2
Axordil
Mariner

Postby Wildwood » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:24 pm

Ax ,what a lot of work you have done! I didn't get to vote, but its ok by me. I am agreeable to just about anything at this point. I am planning on trying to get to it, wherever it finally lands. So happy it is looking like being near me, though!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Did you ever get teh facebook page up for it? Where should I go?
Thanks again for the hard work!!!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Wildwood
Ranger of the North

Postby Axordil » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:35 am

There is a FB page for the group (for polls and discussion) and now for the event...which I should update to reflect the date, I suppose. :)

2012 US M00ters is the group name--I'm pretty sure there's no other group you can find on FB like that. :)

The event links from there, or directly: 2012 US Moot: Boston

Again, shouldn't be a lot of those out there.

ETA of course the group is set to secret, so it won't show on a search. :roll: One of use will need to invite you. Email me your FB info: mercilessidioms@gmail.com
Axordil
Mariner

Postby Axordil » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:28 am

http://www.thehalloffire.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3052&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=140

If we are going to set up a group reservation (and discounted deal) at one or more of the places mentioned in the link (Hotel 140, 40 Berkeley, Longwood Inn) we are going to need real numbers to show them. People who are willing to be part of a group reservation NOW need to say so.

If you can't commit yet, that doesn't mean you can't go--just that any group reservation made may not include you, and that you'll have to arrange for lodging as an individual, even if you're at the same place.

Posted here and the usual haunts.
Axordil
Mariner

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:52 pm

I wouldn't be part of group lodging. I am close enough that I can get in and out of town in under an hour.
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby Axordil » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:39 am

Glad to hear it!
Axordil
Mariner

Postby Axordil » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:49 pm

That would be NOW that we need the info. We're five months out and lucky these places still have rooms. Not to be pushy or anything, but if you don't let us know by this weekend, you're automatically on the "maybe" list, not the "going" list.

Which is fine. I hope to see some maybes. :) But the hotels gotta know how many rooms and how many bodies. NOW.
Axordil
Mariner

Postby GwenElf » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:05 pm

So, I never come to the Events forum, which is a major fail for me. I'd love to be a part of this! Ax, I just FB-friend-requested you; I am Kate Allen.

I expect I'll be up for group lodging (saving money!), but lemme look at the FB page and the rest of this thread first to make sure.
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Gamgee Wench » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:58 pm

Now....this is one I might be able to make! :) Gotta think on this one.
Gamgee Wench
Mariner

Postby PatriotBlade » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:19 am

I want to go and I've been planning on it, but frankly, I don't know where the money's coming from, so I'll have to move to the "maybe" list.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Axordil » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:12 am

Gamgee Wench wrote:Now....this is one I might be able to make! :) Gotta think on this one.

Think with alacrity! :D We need to see which of the hotels/hostels can take how many as a group ASAP. As in this weekend. :)

Note that you're not contractually obligated or anything. We are not taking money nor directing you to send it in quite yet. We just a solid head count for the group reservation(s).
Axordil
Mariner

Postby Axordil » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:05 pm

So: at this point we *could* fill the four rooms the Longwood said they could do as a group. I can call today and check on what the rates would be on those rooms with a clean conscience, with the understanding we might end up with a couple more people in at least one of them OR that we might get an individual rental in addition.

That's not committing to the Longwood yet, it's just getting the last bit of info.
Axordil
Mariner

Postby Axordil » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:59 pm

OK, talked with the Longwood again. As of this moment, pretty much the entire place is open for that weekend, so that four room figure seems to be not a real hard limit.

From their web site:
The Inn has 21 rooms and a one-bedroom apartment available nightly or for extended stays. Nineteen of the rooms have their own bathrooms. However, for the budget-minded traveler one room has a semi-private bathroom and two rooms share a bathroom.

So we have plenty of room, but they'd like some sort of firmer commitment than "well, we have somewhere between twelve and twenty people." They need a head count and a room count this week.

That still wouldn't mean people couldn't add on later, availability allowing. This is all for the group reservation/rate.
Axordil
Mariner

Postby rwhen » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:46 am

The Longwood Inn seems very reasonable to me. And the website says it is very close to many of the major attractions to see when in Boston.

http://longwood-inn.com/

Do you know what sort of commitment they would need to secure the rooms, or would people to that individually?

Good find.

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Axordil » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:43 pm

We will be putting in a group deposit when the time comes. I still need to nail down rates with their head manager next week.
Axordil
Mariner

Postby Axordil » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:21 am

All right--bad news is Longwood can only commit to three rooms. They're just too spooked by graduations, even though there's no biggies that weekend.

Good news is there are two B&B type inns within a block or so:

http://www.thebeechtreeinn.com/index.htm

http://bertraminn.com/

http://www.samuelsewallinn.com/

The Beechtree currently has 6 rooms open for that weekend, 1 of which would be a good "roomie" room, 3 of which would be good for solo sleepers, 2 of which are couple-oriented. I have not checked out availability at the the other two yet. Doing that this morning.
Axordil
Mariner

Postby Axordil » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:12 am

Beechtree is also good for three rooms, again as a group. Same issue.

What I suggest: if you were looking at a single occupancy room anyway, grab one of the cheaper rooms designed for one person as an individual at either the Beechtree or the Longwood. LET ME KNOW IF YOU DO THIS!
Axordil
Mariner

Postby Wildwood » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:44 pm

Ax...sorry to be a pest. Can you point me to details again? Is it on facebook? Just want to get latest info so i can make a final decision. A wedding popped up...and a beach thing. So I may be juggling!! Just need firm dates/rates! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Wildwood
Ranger of the North

Postby Axordil » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:17 pm

I knew I was forgetting something. I stopped checking the boards! :o

https://www.facebook.com/groups/134869943273548/

is the group. Once you're there you can see the event:

https://www.facebook.com/events/169940919752286/

Basically: June 1-3, Brookline, MA (essentially Boston).

We are at the Beechtree Inn and the Coolidge Corner Guest House. The first is full, don't know about the second, need to check with them both soon anyway. Eight weeks!
Axordil
Mariner

Postby Axordil » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:28 am

UPDATE on rooms:

Beech Tree is fine, everyone with a room there has their reservation in order.

At the Coolidge Corner, as of now, only Mr. Gimleh T. Dwarf has his reservation in and payment set up. They'd appreciate it if everyone else followed suit soon. :)
Axordil
Mariner

PreviousNext

Return to Events