Oxford Anniversary Moot 10-12th August. Time to book a room!

Have a Tolkien-inspired event you want to let people know about? Have a recap from a recent moot you were at? Come on in and discuss everything about events!

Which date suits you best for the Moot?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:29 am

20th-22nd July
18%
3rd-5th August
No votes
10th-12th August
55%
24th-26th August
9%
All of the above.
18%
None of the above. I'll tell you about an alternative in my post.
No votes

Total votes : 11

Oxford Anniversary Moot 10-12th August. Time to book a room!

Postby Hobbituk » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:41 pm

UPDATE: We have now decided on a date! The 2012 Oxford Moot will be on the weekend of the 10th-12th August.

You can book rooms here: http://www.keble.ox.ac.uk/conferences/b-b-booking

It may help to mention TORC on the booking form, to aid the college in placing our rooms within close proximity.

ORIGINAL POST:
I am starting the thread for this very early for a simple reason:

The last Oxford Moot was such a success, with our new accommodation at Keble College, that we would like to (if possible) replicate it with the Anniversary Moot in 2012.

HOWEVER, 2012 also happens to be the year of the Olympics in London and anywhere within spitting distance of London is likely to be extremely busy.

Hence the early planning.

The original intention was to shoot for the dates closest to the actual Anniversary of the first TORC Oxford Moot, however this is a Graduation (Read: Very Busy) weekend in Oxford... and also accommodation at Keble is not available for the first few weekend in July.

So, this leaves us with...

The Last Weekend In July (26th/27th - 29th)

The First Weekend In August (2nd/3rd - 5th)

The Second Weekend In August (9th/10th - 12th)

Please give us your thoughts and express interest if you'd like to come! Remember this will be exactly TEN YEARS since the original Moot, so we'd love to make it a really special occasion.

PROBABLE ATTENDEES (So Far!):

Hobbituk
Inzilbeth
Angela
Wilko185
Heliona
Stormeagle
Arpharazon
Rowanberry
truehobbit
Parmamaite
Pandora
niniel*
The_Angel
Alys
Aravar
Bardhwyn
Silwen
Mr. Silwen
Gungnir (& Mrs Gungnir & Two mini-Gungnirs...)
Satch
Calsule

(Names in bold have booked rooms!)
Last edited by Hobbituk on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby ArPharazon » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:09 pm

I'd argue for

The First Weekend In August (2nd/3rd - 5th)

The Second Weekend In August (9th/10th - 12th)

As it will be less busy, but I wopn't be working next year, so I'll sign up early for whatever is offered.

I'd like to build on our association with Keble though - it's central, nice and we will have an estbalished "relationship" with them hopefuilly next year.

Well done Hobbi - and I cannot wait!!

Love

Arphy
ArPharazon
Mariner

Postby truehobbit » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:00 pm

Thanks for starting this so early, Hobbi! :)

All the three weekends are fine for me. :D (Maybe a slight preference for the first one, if I had to choose, but that's for no particular reason.)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby niniel* » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:38 am

What on earth were the Olympic committee thinking of! :shock:

They know that is 'our' time :roll: :x

I think the Olympics stretches from 25th July to 12th August (plus a few days either side for visitors coming and going) which means that we will have to book soonish as all 3 weeks listed are within that time period.

As I didn't manage to get any tickets :nono: I won't be going to the Olympics (will be going to paralympics with work though) so, put me down for any date where we can get rooms at the Inn!

As soon as we decide on a date, I suggest we all book pronto! :D
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:18 am

As far as I can tell at the moment, any of the suggested weekends would be doable. I think flights must be booked well in advance, too, so it should be decided as soon as possible.
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Pandora » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:17 am

Any of those dates are good for me; consider me in for any time next summer! I rarely make plans so far in advance and have no restrictions on when I take my holiday...
Pandora
Rider of the Mark

Postby MithLuin » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:20 pm

I will not be there, but I will make a decent attempt to show up in 2013.
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby heliona » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:58 pm

I was just coming in to post and say that the first and second weekend in July are probably going to be out for me, as I'm hoping to go to a couple of festivals up in Scotland. However, those are two weekends that aren't mentioned, so never mind! :D

I shall return after having a look at when I'll be working. :)
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Hobbituk » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:32 pm

If anyone here (who isn't on the Facebook group) was wondering why we started this and all went quiet, it was simply that we didn't think the full availability had been posted on the website of our chosen accommodation and so we decided to wait until it was.

Things will start moving on this soon, I should think :)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Parmamaite » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:20 pm

I can't say which weekend suits me best, as I'm out of work now, but hopefully will find a job before the Moot.

Whichever weekend you choose, I will try to be there.
Parmamaite
Ranger of the North

Postby Alys » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:37 am

Poll added!

There's been a slight alteration in dates offered, as the last weekend in July is also a graduation weekend, which means Oxford would be even busier then than usual. But, Keble have now released rooms for the weekend before, so I've added that instead. The last weekend in August has also been added, as it has the greatest room availability.

There are plenty of rooms available for each weekend at the moment, though we should probably move quite quickly if we want to be sure of everyone getting the sort of room they want, especially if we pick an August date as the Olympics will also be on then.

As with last year, you can check out the availability of the rooms at Keble here: http://www.keble.ox.ac.uk/conferences/b-b-booking

The rooms are more expensive than last year, but still fairly good value, for Oxford that is! Twin rooms are very limited, or unavailable, on certain dates, so you may want to take that into consideration too.
Last edited by Alys on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alys

Postby rowanberry » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:44 am

Thanks, Alys! :)

As far as I can tell, all of those weekends are doable for me, although the August weekends would be a bit better than the July one.
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Stormeagle » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:50 am

I've voted for the July date. I can also do August 10th as a second choice. I can't be sure I would make it on the other 2 dates.
Stormeagle
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Bardhwyn » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:18 pm

All doable for me! :)

Roll on summer....
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby niniel* » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:05 am

Any of them but NOT 3rd to 4th August :)

Also, will need to get my holiday in quick-smart before I get booted out of the other options too!
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby niniel* » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:10 am

Just a thought, the 24th - 25th August is bank holiday weekend. It will be a nightmare for me at the station (though not impossible) due to the Reading festival. Also, will that make travel harder for others with the 'bank holiday get-away' traffic? On the other hand, it means I get a lay-in on the Monday...

Anyway, I plan to turn up whatever :P
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:29 am

niniel* wrote:Just a thought, the 24th - 25th August is bank holiday weekend. It will be a nightmare for me at the station (though not impossible) due to the Reading festival. Also, will that make travel harder for others with the 'bank holiday get-away' traffic? On the other hand, it means I get a lay-in on the Monday...

Glad you pointed that out, niniel! Since we would also be coming via Reading, it's good to keep in mind it may be crowded.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby niniel* » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:32 pm

Silwen wrote:
niniel* wrote:Just a thought, the 24th - 25th August is bank holiday weekend. It will be a nightmare for me at the station (though not impossible) due to the Reading festival. Also, will that make travel harder for others with the 'bank holiday get-away' traffic? On the other hand, it means I get a lay-in on the Monday...

Glad you pointed that out, niniel! Since we would also be coming via Reading, it's good to keep in mind it may be crowded.

Seriously, it is very bad. From Wednesday evening through to Friday it is difficult to get a train into the town. You can imagine with 80,000 extra people all with tents and bags and quite a few of those come by train. The same goes for Sunday out of town. Last year my daughter tried to go to london by train on the Sunday when the festival was packing up and she had to queue for three hours to be allowed into the station (before even getting as far as getting tickets or on a train!) So I will avoid if possible ;)
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:26 am

I can't do the July weekend as I'm hoping to just be returning from my Scotland holiday then. The third August date listed (the bank holiday one) isn't good for me at all, either.

The first two weekends in August are all right for me, although the second one (10th-12th) is better for me (that's the one I've voted for). :)

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby ArPharazon » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:02 am

Any of the dates are fine by me. I have now retired, so have no particular preferences - though I am looking forward to seeing everyone.

Arphy
ArPharazon
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:51 pm

Look forward to seeing you Arphy, and belated congratulations on getting the '10 Years Evenstar' under your name!

(Alright, you too, Niniel* & Bardy :) )

I'm not married to any particular date, but I have a preference for 10th-12th August at the moment.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Alys » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:34 pm

I do hate to hurry people, but rooms are limited and I think that those hoping to stay will need to book soonish.

I'd suggest that we close the poll on Sunday night, and go with the weekend with the most votes then.
Alys

Postby Aravar » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:38 am

I'd prefer to avoid the July weekend, but would be able to make it that weekend. I'm having time off in August so it's easier to come on the Friday.
Aravar
Ranger of the North

Postby niniel* » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:40 pm

Good idea Alys, we need a deadline. Sooner we get dates, sooner we can book rooms (and time off work if needed) :)
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby niniel* » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:46 pm

ArPharazon wrote:Any of the dates are fine by me. I have now retired, so have no particular preferences - though I am looking forward to seeing everyone.

Arphy

Looking forward to seeing you too Arphy :hihi:
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby Alys » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:52 pm

So, it looks like we'll be mooting the weekend of the 10/12th August. :D

Brilliant! I suppose we ought to get booking and organising! :D
Alys

Postby heliona » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:09 pm

Booked! Managed to grab one of the two doubles! :yippie:

heliona

Postby Bardhwyn » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:02 pm

Great, I'll do likewise by the end of the week. (payday! )

I am looking forward to it. :)
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby niniel* » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:08 pm

heliona wrote:Booked! Managed to grab one of the two doubles! :yippie:

Great :D I'll book mine soon when I am sure I can have the time off work and I can book the Thursday too then.

Quirky website, it's now showing there are 5 double rooms left (the other day when I went on there, they only had singles/twins available)
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:19 pm

Weird! :D Although it may depend which website you're looking at. I was using the http://www.keble.ox.ac.uk/conferences/bed-and-breakfast-accommodation website. There were only two double ensuite with breakfast available (although there were some doubles with a buffet dinner available, so there are obviously more double rooms available).

heliona

Next

Return to Events