Oxford Anniversary Moot 10-12th August. Time to book a room!

Have a Tolkien-inspired event you want to let people know about? Have a recap from a recent moot you were at? Come on in and discuss everything about events!

Which date suits you best for the Moot?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:29 am

20th-22nd July
18%
3rd-5th August
No votes
10th-12th August
55%
24th-26th August
9%
All of the above.
18%
None of the above. I'll tell you about an alternative in my post.
No votes

Total votes : 11

Postby niniel* » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:15 am

haha don't think you scared him (maybe I did! :P )
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:24 am

Hobbituk wrote:In terms of Daytrippers, I have The_Angel, Alys, Berhael and the Silwens down as joining us.

Yes, Mr Silwen and I will be there on Saturday, joining you around noon as usual. Depending on the dinner arrangements at Keble we may also stay till the evening, but will have to catch the train at 11 PM at the latest.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Jaeniver » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:07 am

Hobbi, me, Satch and Pandora have booked accomodation somewhere else. But we are definitly coming.

will we be able to join you guys at Kebble for dinner or do they only allow guests?

So far the three of us will be there on the Friday untill the Sunday. My flight doesn't leave untill the Monday anyway.

Leoba!! so glad to see you can come down for just a bit.

I will wait patiently to hear the rest of the programme :D
Jaeniver
Not all those who wander are lost

Postby Hobbituk » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:50 am

Ah great, where have you ended up staying if you don't mind me asking? Was it because of cost or availability?

I don't think it will be a problem, at all, for dinner at Keble :) I'm speaking to them later this week anyway, when I should also be able to confirm everything else that is (as the kids say)... G'waaaan.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Alys » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:48 am

We've spoken to Keble and here's some more information on the dinner situation.

There will be dinner available, on Saturday night of the moot, it will be at 7.30pm and cost in the region of £10. People who are not staying in Keble can have dinner there, but the booking must be made, and paid for, in advance and must be for at least 10 people. If this option is chosen we can choose our menu from a selection that Keble will send us.

The bar will be open on the Friday night from about 6.30pm, but it's been reserved for a function on the Saturday evening.

Could everyone post here, or on FB (not both!) and let us know if they want dinner and for how many people. Thanks!
Last edited by Alys on Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alys

Postby niniel* » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:44 am

Thanks Alys!

Are we at the Mitre on Friday this year? If so, then I would be happy for meal on the Saturday at Keble :)

But, I'll also go with the flow....
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby ArPharazon » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:26 am

Either (or both) nights at Keeble fine by me. If it's Mitre on Friday and Hall on Saturday than that's also fine.

Arphy
ArPharazon
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:30 am

Thanks Alys, I already made a preliminary list for who I think is around for eating dinner on the Saturday evening, if that's any help:

Hobbituk
Inzilbeth
Angela
Wilko
Heliona
Stormeagle
Arpharazon
Rowanberry
truehobbit
Pandora
niniel*
Aravar
Gungnir, Mrs Gungnir and the two smaller Gungnirs
Bardy
Mr & Mrs Silwen
Satch
Jaeniver

The ones in italics are not staying at Keble, so would have to "pre-book"/Pre-pay. Do we know how far in advance they need to do this or just on the day?

Provided my list is correct, I make that 21 of us.

And yes folks, as I said before I'm suggesting we eat at Keble on the Saturday night as I have booked the function room above The Mitre for the Friday.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Alys » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:51 am

I should have known you'd be organised, Dean! In that case it would be best if people said if they don't want to eat at Keble!

I've emailed Keble to ask when they'll want payment, and also to ask if it can be done individually.
Alys

Postby rowanberry » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:25 am

Dinner at Keble on Saturday is fine.
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby heliona » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:23 pm

Just for double confirmation, Wilko and I will be eating at Keble on the Saturday night. :)
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby niniel* » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:25 pm

Lots of this :love: this :rose: this :thumbsup: and this :drink: for Alys and Hobbituk for all the organisation!
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby ArPharazon » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:00 am

Can I add a hear-hear to that.

Arphy
ArPharazon
Mariner

Postby Alys » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:27 am

Thank you, both! But Dean's doing all the organising, I'm just helping with some information. :)

After checking back with Keble, they need everyone to book in advance and want one payment by next Friday. It's a bit short notice...

I'm pretty sure that could be broken down into two payments for about 10 people each, as that's the minimum booking they're allowing.

Oh, and another party got in first and chose the menu, so we'll have to have the same, it does sound quite good though!

Supreme of chicken with rustic tomato sauce or
(V)Quorn escalope with rustic tomato sauce
Garlic and rosemary sautéed potatoes
Garden peas
Chocolate fudge cake
Alys

Postby Hobbituk » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:43 pm

We have a volunteer to cover half of the group (money to be paid back on the day, any no-shows will still be expected to pay), but we do need someone else to cover the other half.

If anyone is feeling flush, I know that would really be appreciated. If not, we will need to come up with a Plan B.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby ToshoftheWuffingas » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:11 pm

I intend coming to Oxford though I haven't booked a room yet. I will attend the Saturday night dinner at Keble.
ToshoftheWuffingas
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:17 am

Hobbituk wrote:We have a volunteer to cover half of the group (money to be paid back on the day, any no-shows will still be expected to pay), but we do need someone else to cover the other half.

If anyone is feeling flush, I know that would really be appreciated. If not, we will need to come up with a Plan B.

I've offered to cover the other half, to make things easier. :)

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby Jaeniver » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:42 am

Hobbi, is there an updated listed somewhere of all attendees?

And once again many many thanks Heliona :D
Jaeniver

Postby truehobbit » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:33 am

Oh, awesome - thanks for all the organisation and for people advancing the money for the Keble dinner! :hug: :drink:

So, we're all sorted, no further individual booking or so needed? :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:59 am

Hopefully! Still needs to be booked.etc yet.

Here is a complete list of all probable attendees across the weekend;

Hobbituk
Inzilbeth
Angela
Wilko185
Heliona
Stormeagle
Arpharazon
Rowanberry
truehobbit
Pandora
niniel*
The_Angel
Alys
Aravar
Gungnir
Mrs Gungnir and the smaller Gungnirs
Bardhwyn
Silwen
Mr Silwen
Satch
Jaeniver
Berhael
Leoba
Dindraug
Tosh
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:41 pm

In case anyone hadn't seen this from Facebook:

Have you bought your Oxford Moot t-shirt yet? If not, then get busy! The deadline's tomorrow! (If you're coming to Oxford, then after clicking "proceed to checkout" (or equivalent) then check "collect in person" that way you can get it in Oxford. Otherwise I'm afraid you'll have to pay postage.)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0071873610

If you're dithering, then please buy as we need 25 ordered to actually get the order through and currently that's still quite a lot of t-shirts!

heliona

Postby truehobbit » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:57 am

Come to think of it, there's 25 people in the list - so they'd all have to get a t-shirt, even including Mrs Gungnir. And we know that Inzi and Jae are certain not to get one - so we know for sure there won't be 25, even if everyone we've not heard from were to order now...
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Jaeniver » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:09 am

Thanks for the list ;) nice to see who's coming! :D Berhael is coming too?! didn't now that. nice surprise :D:D

Ok so if I get this right
On the friday we are at the Mitre (bar + dinner)
Saturday is at Keble

Are we doing anything else on the sunday is will that be played by ear to see who's still there then?

Also is there somewhat of an arrival time when we're expected to make an appearance ? :)

Hobbi the three of us, satch, pandora and I will be staying at YHA Oxford at 2a Botley Road. It was indeed the cost of a room at Keble that made us look for alternate accomodation.
Jaeniver

Postby Hobbituk » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:09 am

Ah, fair enough :) (Looking on a map, that's either a taxi ride or a bit of a walk to Keble!)

I haven't written an itinerary as such yet, was waiting for the meal details to be finalised, but right now it's looking like...

Friday Afternoon - Check in, Meet at Lamb & Flag.
Friday Evening - Meal & Quiz at The Mitre, we have the room till closing time

Saturday Morning - Nothing yet planned
Saturday Afternoon - Nothing as such planned yet, but we will probably use the Eagle & Child as a 'base', falling back to the Lamb & Flag if it's too hot and stuffy
Saturday Evening - Meal at Keble, then head to either the Keble Bar or The Lamb & Flag (To be confirmed)

Sunday - Gather for coffees and goodbyes in the morning, in the afternoon head to The Turf for a Sunday Roast & more goodbyes with most people usually leaving throughout the afternoon.

Anyway, I'll do a better one nearer the time, but we're open to suggestions in the meantime! I'm not the boss of anyone :) I'll also collect 'arrival times' off everyone nearer the time.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Jaeniver » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:40 pm

Looks just fab to me. Sorry, I always like to know where and when I am expected ;) This puts me at ease and will await the finalised m00t planning. ;)

And a bit of walking will serve me well if we are to eat, drink and have sunday roasts ;)
Jaeniver

Postby heliona » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:43 pm

Hobbituk wrote:Saturday Evening - Meal at Keble, then head to either the Keble Bar or The Lamb & Flag (To be confirmed)

I thought that Alys had said that the Keble Bar will be shut on Saturday?

Jaeniver, Saturday always tends to be a little flexible as regards events, at least in my experience. We all gather in the Eagle and Child for opening time (to grab the best seats in the back) and then throughout the day people come and go. Obviously it depends on the weather. I generally like to get out and about in Oxford on the Saturday, since it's such a gorgeous place and it seems a shame to sit in a pub all day. :D I might try the Ashmoelean Museum again this year (as last time I went I only stayed for about 45 minutes and saw a tiny part of it), although I'd quite like to go punting again. But the group is generally always fragmented on the Saturday, as various people want to do various things. :)

I believe there are a few people arriving on Thursday too, so if you arrive quite early on Friday, there may already be mooters around. :)

heliona

Postby Alys » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:14 pm

I think (and definitely hope as I missed it last year) that ArPhy is planning to do one of his (in)famous walks on the Saturday afternoon.
Alys

Postby Hobbituk » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:42 pm

heliona wrote:
Hobbituk wrote:Saturday Evening - Meal at Keble, then head to either the Keble Bar or The Lamb & Flag (To be confirmed)

I thought that Alys had said that the Keble Bar will be shut on Saturday?

Ah, I might have got that mixed up with the Friday then. As I say, that was just a rough thingy.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:36 pm

Alys, yes, that would be excellent. The last one was great, although sadly people kept peeling off to go home. :cry2:

heliona

Postby heliona » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:37 am

10xford CaféPress shop with lots of goodies! Click here!

(Just to add that no profit is being made by TORCers from this, just CaféPress, I guess. It's been set up to allow those of us who want to celebrate ten years of mooting in Oxford.)

heliona

PreviousNext

Return to Events