Oxford Anniversary Moot 10-12th August. Time to book a room!

Have a Tolkien-inspired event you want to let people know about? Have a recap from a recent moot you were at? Come on in and discuss everything about events!

Which date suits you best for the Moot?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:29 am

20th-22nd July
18%
3rd-5th August
No votes
10th-12th August
55%
24th-26th August
9%
All of the above.
18%
None of the above. I'll tell you about an alternative in my post.
No votes

Total votes : 11

Postby heliona » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:01 pm

What happened to "exotic creatures of the night"? ;) It just sounds too much like a bloke's thing to me. And my sense of adventure is perfectly sound - it just doesn't involve looking for anything "of the night". :D Plus, walking! :shock: During an Oxford moot?! You must be joking! Staggering, more like! :D
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief! & My Instagram account

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Jaeniver » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:49 am

Staggering? :shock: Heliona wasnt prepared for either walking or staggering...I'll be very content to remain seated somewhere...
Jaeniver
Not all those who wander are lost

Postby Hobbituk » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:56 am

I did a bit of 'rolling' last year, but that was just because of a very inviting grassy slope.

It would have been rude not to.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:21 pm

Hobbituk wrote:I did a bit of 'rolling' last year, but that was just because of a very inviting grassy slope.

:lmbo: I'd forgotten about that! I may even have to try it myself this year. :D

Jaeniver, I wouldn't worry about it - there wasn't too much walking and that generally only involved moving from pub to pub to hotel room party. :D (Although there was enthusiastic walking last year on Arphy's tour. My little legs were worn out! ;))

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief! & My Instagram account

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby niniel* » Tue May 08, 2012 1:16 pm

JewelSong and I went for a walk last year. We walked from the Lamb and Flag all the way to the King's Arms. Whew we needed a drink after that! :drink:

Hobbituk I love your Minecraft sig pic :)
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby eborr » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:36 am

But if you don't walk around Oxford think about what you are missing.

1.Close contact with people from all over the world, as you are engulfed by a party of tourists snaking their way around the city, free Spanish descriptions included

2. Fame - the chance to appear in 1000 Japaneses/Chinese holiday albums

3 Authenticity, join the underclass on Corn Street as you queue outside the fast-fooderies, guarentied stale fat odour at no extra charge

4. Experience - an accident as what you thought was a pedestrian street, suddenly transforms into a highway.
eborr
Ranger of the North

Postby Hobbituk » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:26 am

Sliiight issue...

The Mitre, our regular haunt for the Saturday evening meal & Quiz, has been fully booked for the entire day by another group (probably TORN... gits).

Bit annoying. But nothing we can really do about it. The lack of an affordable well-placed function room in Oxford has long been a problem for us.

Here is what I propose:

- We mix things up a bit. I have booked the Function room at The Mitre for the FRIDAY instead. We have the room from 4pm till close. Same party menu as last year, although the room cost is a little higher now... £50. This will require a small contribution from everyone present, which will vary depending on how many of us there are.

- We try and get the meal at Keble on the Saturday instead this year

- If we want a Quiz or anything of that sort, we do it on the Friday rather than the Saturday

I know this is a bit of a break from tradition but it seems the most sensible way of doing things to me. I'm interested in any thoughts others might have on the subject, I have booked the room but it can be cancelled.

Any suggestions / ideas / preferences? (Bearing in mind I may choose to ignore them :) )
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:06 am

I don't see any problem with that, so long as we can get the meal at Keble for the Saturday (and I can't think why we couldn't). It's not really much of a spanner in the works. :D

heliona

Postby Jaeniver » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:28 am

That's not a huge problem I am sure. I can perfectly live with that :D
Jaeniver
Not all those who wander are lost

Postby JewelSong » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:00 am

Well, I for one, think it's just TERRIBLE. How dare anyone suggest that the hallowed tradition of the Saturday-night quiz be CHANGED? That's just....

Never mind.

:D

I wish so much I could be there this year...
JewelSong
Ranger of the North

Postby niniel* » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:27 am

I did think that maybe if it was TORN who booked it or even a wedding party, we could crash that and then dodge out before paying the bill. But, you way is better Hobbiuk :P

Thanks for booking everything :rose: :)
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby Alys » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:28 am

Ah Julie, you had me thinking that you were coming!

We won't be there for anything in the evening I expect so whatever you pick is fine with me! ;) Perhaps the bar at Keble will be open this year - any chance they'd let you take it over completely? Even if they don't I'd imagine that there's a high chance it wouldn't be terribly busy?
Alys

Postby ArPharazon » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:43 am

I'll go with what others think best.

What about that pub we used over Magdalen Bridge - the year Lidless paid for some things, as i recall? I don't know how expensive it was, but, it was large and not too far away.

Alternatively - what about asking Keble whether they have anything (inc their bar) we could use? If we had to put down a deposit against damage, that might not be too bad.

So far as the meal in Hall is concerned, wasn't Friday their special night for that? Worth asking though.

Well done Hobbi - thanks for the head's up.

Arphy
ArPharazon
Mariner

Postby rowanberry » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:07 am

No problem. We'll just have dinner somewhere else on Saturday.
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Hobbituk » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:08 am

ArPharazon wrote:I'll go with what others think best.

What about that pub we used over Magdalen Bridge - the year Lidless paid for some things, as i recall? I don't know how expensive it was, but, it was large and not too far away.

Arphy

The pub was called The Port Mahon, I've looked for it in previous years and it was closed. A quick Google leads me to believe it has reopened, so I will investigate that. Although, it might be a little bit of a trek if we are eating at Keble first and as I recall Keble had a set time (was it 7pm? 7.30pm?) for the evening meal.

That's assuming we all still want to eat at Keble at some point, which given how well it went down last year I think we do.

Keble's website simply says Dinner is sometimes available depending on demand. I intend to ring them anyway, so we can sort this out. I will, as you suggest, ask if they have anything like a Function Room available. Or if we can take over the bar.

EDIT - I suddenly recalled Alys said this a few pages back;

They said they had noticed a few bookings coming in, with TORC mentioned, and they wanted to welcome us back and to see if we might want dinner again this year.

So that's reassuring :)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby truehobbit » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:19 pm

*GASP* - the Saturday quiz on Friday??? :shock:

;)

No prob, either with swapping nights or swapping locations. :D

Yeah, a really helpful contribution, I know. :D :P
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Gungnir » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:53 am

Yep, I'm OK with that change Hobbi. We arrive in Oxford on the Thursday, go back on the monday - this is effectively our summer holiday for this year. And I'm simultaneously happy and sad about that :) :(
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:06 pm

The pinnacle of my 'summer holiday' was a day in Scarborough. In the rain. In April.

Oxford will, probably, be better.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Berhael » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:09 pm

I'll do my best to be there on the Saturday, with mini me. Dan and mini-Dan will probably stay at the Natural History Museum for most of the day, if they come. :D
Berhael
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:33 am

Just interrupting this thread to point out THIS 'Shameless Nostalgia for TORC Moots' thread I've just started, given that today is the Tenth Anniversary of the first Oxford Moot!
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Silwen » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:10 pm

Will I be finding you all at the Bird & Baby Saturday around noon again this year?

If the dinner it Keble College is going to be on Saturday too, can those who haven't booked accommodation there have dinner as well? And at what time is it?

Questions, questions...
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Hobbituk » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:45 pm

The short rubbish answer is: It's to be confirmed SOON.

By which I mean within the next week, so watch this space.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Hobbituk » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:36 am

While we're kicking things into gear at the moment, with less than a month to go until the moot, I could do with some info from you people!

I need to get a firmer list of just who is coming to this shindig (the word 'shindig' brought to you from the 70s)

I have the following people down as being around for the entire weekend and BOOKED into Keble:

Hobbituk
Inzilbeth
Angela
Wilko
Heliona
Stormeagle
Arphy
Rowanberry
truehobbit
niniel*
Aravar
Gungnir (+3)

I'm assuming I should also include Bardy and Jaenive on that list, but I didn't catch if you'd booked accomodation yet? Can you both confirm?

I'm also needing confirmation from Parmamaite, Pandora, Satch and anyone else I haven't mentioned if you have booked and are coming for the whole weekend.

In terms of Daytrippers, I have The_Angel, Alys, Berhael and the Silwens down as joining us. eborr too perhaps? If anyone else is coming for a day or two, please confirm.

Arphy... you mentioned your friend Brendan possibly coming? Is that a definite, do you know?

And...

BASICALLY IF I'VE GOT ANYTHING WRONG, PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP.

Thanks All!
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby niniel* » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:47 am

You star Hobbituk!

I'll be coming Friday day time so will meet whoever is there already. Thought I could come on the Thursday but that probably won't be possible now. I'm staying until the Sunday :)
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby Hobbituk » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:54 am

Thanks niniel*, no FlightWentAhead joining us this year? Or did we suitably terrify him last year?
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Leoba » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:35 am

We (that is: me, Din and Benedict) are likely to daytrip on the Friday (have to be somewhere else by Friday night) if anyone's up for meeting up? We may have to spend some time in the Natural History Museum and would be up for lunch.
Leoba
Mariner

Location: Troubadour of Ithilien, dwelling within sight of Weathertop

Postby Hobbituk » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:40 am

Good news Leoba!

As usual I imagine people will be dribbling in throughout the afternoon of the Friday. Not sure yet what time I'll be there in the afternoon myself (with my 'posse' of Wilko, Heliona and possibly Aravar), but I'm hoping to aim for as early as possible.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Bardhwyn » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:41 am

T-SHIRTS!
I've done some research, gathered quotes and the best supplier (Talking Tees in Cambridge) requires a minimum order quantity of 25 t-shirts to make them happen.

Are twenty-five of us interested in t-shirts?

The only way to really know is to open make Oxmoot t-shirts available on Ebay:

Here

The shirts are cotton, (so buy a size larger), and Angel's logo appears on the upper left breast of the shirt, as would a Federation com badge. The ink is black so the t-shirt colours are all light.

We can offer a men's short sleeve style with a small selection of colors, up to XXXL, a men's long sleeve style in white, up to XL, a women's short sleeve style in white up to size 18 (XXL)

Ebay will help me because I can collect

1. your sizes
2. your t-shirt style choice (Men's short sleeve, Women's short sleeve, Men's long sleeve)
3 . and, in the case of men's short sleeve, your colour choice.
4. and the number you want to purchase (!!)

Ebay will also allow (and encourage) people who can't make it to the Moot to buy a t-shirt ( additional postage fees will be required - international shipping, too! )

Ebay uses PAYPAL, but if you're in the UK and don't use PayPal, I can accept a cheque and I'll correspond with you on how to get that to me.
International buyers, sorry but you'll need to use PayPal.

Shipping:

Attendees of the Moot - I'll deliver your t-shirts personally.

If you're not coming to the Moot but buy a t-shirt, I'm sorry but you won't receive the t-shirt in the post before the Moot weekend but I will post it to you asap.

ORDER DEADLINE:
We have a purchase deadline - 12 noon GMT on July 24th. I have to present our order the next day to have them ready for the Moot.

My promise: If it looks as if we aren't going to make the minimum order of 25, I'll confer with Owen, Sheila and Dean and discuss a way forward. I shan't make a decision alone! If it looks as if it can't happen, your money will be refunded via Ebay. (another good reason to use it) or your cheques returned.
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:44 am

Wow Bardy, thanks so much for doing all that. Looks great.

EDIT: I notice there's a postage cost of £3.00, is that just for those not attending the moot?
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby ArPharazon » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:38 am

Arphy ... you mentioned your friend Brendan possibly coming? Is that a definite, do you know?

He's mentioned not a word since, so I think not. Thanks for checking, Hobbi - that was thoughtful.

Arphy
ArPharazon
Mariner

PreviousNext

Return to Events