Oxford Anniversary Moot 10-12th August. Time to book a room!

Have a Tolkien-inspired event you want to let people know about? Have a recap from a recent moot you were at? Come on in and discuss everything about events!

Which date suits you best for the Moot?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:29 am

20th-22nd July
18%
3rd-5th August
No votes
10th-12th August
55%
24th-26th August
9%
All of the above.
18%
None of the above. I'll tell you about an alternative in my post.
No votes

Total votes : 11

Postby Alys » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:32 am

ArPhy! This is shaping up to be another brilliant moot!

And I'd say that Dean's right, your letter certainly had a huge amount to do with them remembering us! :D
Alys

Postby rowanberry » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:51 am

Hobbituk wrote:Sounds right to me! Although so far I think only Rowanberry is staying the Thursday night this year.

Well, that gives me an opportunity to settle down and have some proper sleep before the hullaballoo starts on Friday. =:) I won't be there until late afternoon anyway, so I won't have too much time to kill. :P

And, if someone else turns up on Thursday after all, all the better. :wink:
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby niniel* » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:15 am

I haven't booked a room for Thursday night but I could pop up and meet the 'Thursdayers' for dinner or drink for a few hours :)
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby ArPharazon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:58 am

So famous are the TORC moots that my friend Brendan is thinking of joining us this year - would that be OK? (He's pretty human, the change only comes over him at full moon, and the smell of his orc attendants is being dealt with fairly effectively.)

Rowmanberry - if I'm there on the Thursday night NO ONE will sleep!! It'll be partytime!!

Finally, I don't think my letter had anything to do with anything. Your behaviour is now legendary in Oxford - people were still talking about it in January when i was there. the wing we destroyed at Keble had stopped smouldering too - what did you pour on the flames Hobbi??

Seriously - if you contact them about dinner you might want to mention that "we" wrote to them (Both Warden and hall manager) after the last visit to say how much we enjoyed the service. The manager did not reply but might recall that we acknowledged him and his team.

Don't the titles Warden and hall manager - sound LOTRish? How about Warden of the Southern mark and deputy Marshal of rohan or something? And the hall Manager would have looked after the Golden hall and met gandalf and the three on the steps.

ArPhy (the old codger)
ArPharazon
Mariner

Postby niniel* » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:29 am

Wonderful Arphy. A new victim...mooter! Looking forward to meeting him :)
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby ArPharazon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:35 pm

You won't like him Nin.... he's goodlooking, charming, single, hetero - utterly unlike me in every way!! :angry:
ArPharazon
Mariner

Postby heliona » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:42 am

ArPharazon wrote:You won't like him Nin.... he's goodlooking, charming, single, hetero - utterly unlike me in every way!! :angry:

Aw, you're most of those things (the first half, definitely ;)). :) He sounds like a catch! :D
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Alys » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:36 am

ArPhy, my darling paladin, if you're not charming then nobody is! :shock:
Alys

Postby ArPharazon » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:42 am

I haven't been called a paladin for sooooo long - how are you dearheart? I'll call you and The Angel this week - now that I have emerged from my post-retirement hibernation.

I was really just teasing Niniel that she'll probably fall for Brendan, if he attends. He's reserved, but a very nice guy.

Now I've retired I'm told it's taken years off me... in fact I now look even younger and more glamourous that The Angel himself.

With utmost love,

ArPhy ('arf a raisin)
ArPharazon
Mariner

Postby elf-maiden » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:11 pm

Okay so I just noticed someone mentioned this on Meta-TORC and thought I'd drop by. I currently live in America, but there are plans for me to visit my fiance at some point during the summer. So there is a possibility that I could make it! I don't know a lot of the people going, except by reputation, but it was the same at the last moot in Evanston (Chicago), and I had a great time. :) Will keep up to date here and on Facebook.

:thumbsup:
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:15 pm

Please don't let not knowing people put you off. :) All of us at one point didn't know anyone when we first went to a moot. I hope you can make it. :D

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:34 pm

elf-maiden, you would be very welcome! We're not cliquey and we hardly ever axe-murder anyone these days!

Arphy, your friend would also be most welcome. And it was Inzilbeth and Angela who nearly destroyed Keble, not me ;)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Inzilbeth » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:29 am

hey Hobbi !! it wasnt our falt the ceiling came in, though i think that has helped them remember us :lol: The manager certainly remembered us when i phone to book :lol: ..oh yeh nearly forgot...we are all booked and in the same room as last year :P
Inzilbeth
Shield Bearer

Postby Hobbituk » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:44 am

Uh oh, is there a plasterer in the house?
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:04 pm

Inzilbeth wrote:hey Hobbi !! it wasnt our falt the ceiling came in, though i think that has helped them remember us :lol: The manager certainly remembered us when i phone to book :lol: ..oh yeh nearly forgot...we are all booked and in the same room as last year :P

Oh that's good. Good that you're in the old building. :) I hope we are too. :)

heliona

Postby Inzilbeth » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:05 pm

:P :lol: I have to say though Melissa the Manager is very helpful and goes out her way to make your stay as nice as possible
Inzilbeth
Shield Bearer

Postby heliona » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:29 pm

Good. I'm glad that everything is coming together. :)

heliona

Postby Jaeniver » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:47 am

Hmm...Quite curious to see if I am finally gonna be able to make it this year. Must nudge Pandora and satch in here since they were going to be my partner in crime for this possible moot.
Jaeniver
Not all those who wander are lost

Postby Hobbituk » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:16 am

I think you definitely should!
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby niniel* » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:53 am

Alys wrote:Come and see us! You have lots of nappy experience, yes? ;)

I've only just seen this (was reading through thread to see who has booked - looking good so far!)

Yes, nappy experience aplenty! Scotland in June is something I could aim for :) There are already enough people living in Glasgow for mini-mooting (what with your little plus one arriving before then too ;) ) I shall look into it.
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby Alys » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:04 pm

That would be lovely, Nin. Let us know when you fancy coming up. :D
Alys

Postby Gungnir » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:02 pm

Right - I had a chat with Mrs Gungnir tonight and I think we will all be there for the Moot, the two of us and the two kids (aged 12 and 16). Need to check prices etc but I'm pretty sure it's a goer. And I am absolutely over the proverbial moon. :D
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby The_Angel » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:08 pm

The_Angel
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:36 pm

Oh hurray! :yippie:

As I said before, Keble do family suites - just scroll all the way to the bottom of the list of rooms. :)

heliona

Postby Hobbituk » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:29 pm

Great news Gungnir :)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby wilko185 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:15 pm

I think I may visit this moot.
wilko185
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:10 am

Didn't we ban you?
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby The_Angel » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:47 am

Pretty sure we did.

For filthy behaviour.

He came into the pub all covered in mud and ick.
The_Angel
Ranger of the North

Postby niniel* » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:22 am

Even more. It's all looking super!

And, it is only the start of March and already we have a date, B&B venue and at least 10 people have booked. Is that a record? :D
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby wilko185 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:32 am

I think we've peaked too early, there's too much time for things to fall apart. In fact, I'm going to start a rival breakaway moot at Cambridge instead. So who's with me?
wilko185
Mariner

PreviousNext

Return to Events