Oxford Anniversary Moot 10-12th August. Time to book a room!

Have a Tolkien-inspired event you want to let people know about? Have a recap from a recent moot you were at? Come on in and discuss everything about events!

Which date suits you best for the Moot?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:29 am

20th-22nd July
18%
3rd-5th August
No votes
10th-12th August
55%
24th-26th August
9%
All of the above.
18%
None of the above. I'll tell you about an alternative in my post.
No votes

Total votes : 11

Postby truehobbit » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:41 am

Yay for all the Gugnirs! :D
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:45 am

niniel* wrote:Even more. It's all looking super!

And, it is only the start of March and already we have a date, B&B venue and at least 10 people have booked. Is that a record? :D

You really shouldn't ask these questions when you know I am reading :P

In 2004 we picked the date by the 11th Feb, and a block booking was made by Alys on the 18th Feb. This year the first rooms were booked on the 19th Feb, so we're beaten by one day!

However, a block booking is a bit different from everyone booking individually so it's a moral victory at least.

In 2003 we decided on the date by the 20th Jan, but no-one had booked a room until 17th April!

All other years were later in all respects.

Anyway, the fact that I had all this information so readily available depresses me. Therefore, this year I'm going to Wilko's breakaway Cambridge moot instead.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:26 am

It looks like we will be arriving on the 9th, staying in the travelodge a couple of miles north for two nights and then staying in a family suite at Keble for two nights. It's not booked yet but that is the plan so far.

What do people do about parking their cars for the weekend?
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:40 am

The various Park and Rides are free and very convenient. More info HERE.

We've used them a few times and they have been very handy.

EDIT: It seems they have started charging for some of them! Fortunately, Water Eaton (which is to the North) is still free.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:55 am

Hmm, seeing as my better half and my chauffeur appear to be going to Cambridge instead, I guess that's where I'll be. ;):D

Hobbi, I seem to recall reading last year that some of the Park & Rides were going to be charging due to the local council not being able to afford to subsidise them (I believe beforehand that it was the county council that subsidised the P&R). Anyway, I think we can blame the government. :D Thank goodness Water Eaton is still free. :)
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Gungnir » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:30 am

Thanks everyone - as one of the park and rides is right next to the travelodge that we'll be staying in for the first couple of nights, we'll leave the car there (only £1.50 a day) while we're in Keble. I'm hoping to get everything booked this week, just need to juggle some money between accounts first.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby heliona » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:00 am

Gungnir wrote:Thanks everyone - as one of the park and rides is right next to the travelodge that we'll be staying in for the first couple of nights, we'll leave the car there (only £1.50 a day) while we're in Keble. I'm hoping to get everything booked this week, just need to juggle some money between accounts first.

:yippie: It's all coming together! :)

(It appears that there's going to be more offspring at this moot - either I'm going to have to borrow one for the weekend, or else the Cambridge moot is for those without. ;):D Will it mean that people will be better behaved? =:))

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby Hobbituk » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:33 am

I'm always on my very best behaviour at Moots.

A sad indictment of my behaviour the rest of the time, really.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby niniel* » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:01 pm

Hobbituk wrote:Anyway, the fact that I had all this information so readily available depresses me. Therefore, this year I'm going to Wilko's breakaway Cambridge moot instead.

Cambridge :shock: *spits on floor*

:lol: Actually, we should mini-moot it in Cambridge at some point (unless that has been done already)

I LOVE that you can pull up all these mooting facts! I think we'll have to crib on TORC and mooting facts for the quiizzie :)
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby niniel* » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:06 pm

heliona wrote:(It appears that there's going to be more offspring at this moot - either I'm going to have to borrow one for the weekend, or else the Cambridge moot is for those without. ;):D Will it mean that people will be better behaved? =:))

I have three offspring, you can borrow one. Want to borrow my middle one? (male, dark-haired 6'3" doesn't dribble when he drinks, but won't eat his vegetables)

Or I can bring the dog who eats dead things? :twisted:
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby Gungnir » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:43 pm

Right, all booked. See you in August!
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby niniel* » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:48 pm

Gungnir wrote:Right, all booked. See you in August!

Great! :clap:
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby Hobbituk » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:49 pm

Hooray!

That's 15 people booked so far.

I think we've got a moot.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:55 pm

niniel* wrote:
heliona wrote:(It appears that there's going to be more offspring at this moot - either I'm going to have to borrow one for the weekend, or else the Cambridge moot is for those without. ;):D Will it mean that people will be better behaved? =:))

I have three offspring, you can borrow one. Want to borrow my middle one? (male, dark-haired 6'3" doesn't dribble when he drinks, but won't eat his vegetables)

Or I can bring the dog who eats dead things? :twisted:

How old is this middle one? :P (And don't tell Wilko! =:);))

You know I'd love the dog who eats dead things. :love:

heliona

Postby The_Angel » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:42 pm

Hobbituk wrote:Hooray!

That's 15 people booked so far.

I think we've got a moot.

Are you counting the three of us? We've not booked, but we don't need to.
The_Angel
Ranger of the North

Postby Hobbituk » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:44 am

Nope, that's just the people who have booked rooms. With daytrippers we're up to about 20 already.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Alys » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:46 am

Bring the dog!
Alys

Postby ArPharazon » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:21 am

Can I bring a dead "thing" that eats dogs?
ArPharazon
Mariner

Postby Gungnir » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:17 am

How about 'The Thing' disguised as a dog? Could cause a few problems though.

(BTW Happy Birthday Arphy!)
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby ArPharazon » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:39 am

Thanks gungnir.

But no, The Thing idea won't work. Experience shows that The Angel just looks awful in a dog costume. Something to do with the hair, I think.
ArPharazon
Mariner

Postby ArPharazon » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:02 pm

Thanks to all of you who have sent nice messages to me on Facebook. Much appreciated.

ArPhy
ArPharazon
Mariner

Postby niniel* » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:17 pm

ArPharazon wrote:Can I bring a dead "thing" that eats dogs?

Now that would be interesting! :lol:
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby Bardhwyn » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:53 am

Helloo...

There will be special commemorative t-shirts for this little moot and I will be putting up a special Oxford Moot t-shirt thread so to give Torcers not on Facebook a chance to vote.. so watch the forum for a new thread! :)

B
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Jaeniver » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:22 am

I'm aaaaaalmost ready to book my tickets!!!! I will finally make it to an Oxford moot it seems.

Cant wait to see you guys, especially Hobbi my foster dad ;) :D:D:D
Jaeniver
Not all those who wander are lost

Postby Hobbituk » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:29 am

Great news jae. Amazing we might finally meet after all these years!
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Jaeniver » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:36 am

I know, it's utterly ridiculous we haven't managed to before! :shock:
I can't wat. jumping for joy already!!!
Jaeniver

Postby Jaeniver » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:29 am

You can put me down on the confirmed list Hobbi, I just booked my flight.

See you guys on the 10th of August! Bringing some Dutchy flavour to this British party ;)
Jaeniver

Postby eborr » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:57 am

Will be working at an Oxford College by then, so see you there - somewhere, recomendation for eaterising especially those with younglings in Atomic Pizzza on Cowley Road -Recognosable by the Silver Surfer on the roof. Do not confuse with Atomic Burger.

A bit of a trek from the town, but you do have the pleasure of walking up Cowley road, which normally has the feel and the odours of a middling African Town. Good place to know if you tastes extend to exotic creatures of the night.
eborr
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:30 am

eborr wrote:A bit of a trek from the town, but you do have the pleasure of walking up Cowley road, which normally has the feel and the odours of a middling African Town. Good place to know if you tastes extend to exotic creatures of the night.

So, is this meant to be a recommendation? Because I must say that I'm not feeling inclined to check it out! :shock:

heliona

Postby eborr » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:34 pm

heliona wrote:So, is this meant to be a recommendation? Because I must say that I'm not feeling inclined to check it out! :shock:

So where's your sense of adventure, I think that Cowley Road is an essential part of the "Oxford Experience"

And if you worried about the "Children of the Night" be rest assured that they only come out after dark
eborr
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Events