Oxford Moot 2013: 9th - 11th August! Book A Room!

Have a Tolkien-inspired event you want to let people know about? Have a recap from a recent moot you were at? Come on in and discuss everything about events!

Which is your preference for the date of the 2013 Oxford Moot?

2nd - 4th August
30%
9th - 11th August
60%
Another date entirely because I'm an awkward sod
10%

Total votes : 10

Oxford Moot 2013: 9th - 11th August! Book A Room!

Postby Hobbituk » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:21 am

Hey everybody :)

I just found out it's February already. A man told me. So, we really need to start planning this year's Oxford Moot!

This will be the Twelth such event which typically takes place in Oxford during the summer, but if you're new and haven't got a clue what I'm talking about, go and have a look at this Handy FAQ which should explain all. You can also view THIS YouTube video which I created for our tenth anniversary last year. Finally, you can also read the 'reports' thread from last year, in which we shared various stories from the event here on TORC, HERE.

In a nutshell: It's a weekend of fun, culture, and drinking in Tolkien's favourite city... with fellow TORCers. We stay (hopefully for the third year running) in the rather lovely Keble College (student accomodation which means it's basic and affordable... but the surroundings are stunning).

Oh... and YOU are invited :)

Now, first things first: We need to know who is interested! Let us know!

Second things second: What is your preference for a date? What weekends can you absolutely not do? We can never find the perfect date for everybody, but we do our best to ensure as many people as possible can attend.

Typically, we aim for July/August time. Although we try to avoid the 'Graduation' weekends (TBC) as Oxford gets very busy.

3... 2... 1... MOOT!

EDIT - The date is the 9th-11th August, accommodation can be booked for Keble College HERE, please put TORC as a reference when booking.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Re: Oxford Moot 2013: Express Interest & Pick A Date!

Postby Jaeniver » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:31 am

Excited!! I have a holiday planned in August so I am opting for July myself.
On the road again with Kaya in Crossroads

Ae ú-esteliach nad...estelio han. Estelio ammen.
Jaeniver
Not all those who wander are lost

Postby elf-maiden » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:42 am

Oooo, the famous Oxford Moot! I've looked on from afar with jealousy for years, but I think this year it may be possible for me to come! I'll be marrying an Englishman and moving from America to England this summer, so I think a nice big moot would be just the thing to make me feel more comfortable. :) July/August sounds good to me. If I had to pick a month I'd say August, as there's a possibility that I'll be arriving some time in July (it takes up to three months to get my Marriage Visa after I'm married :x ), but don't know when. End of July would most likely work.

:horse: :D
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

Postby Silwen » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:54 am

Excellent, I was just talking about it to someone new yesterday. All dates are fine by me (and Mr Silwen) though I much prefer times that are not hot weatherwise. A bit hard in summer, one might think, but then again we are in Britain. :P
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Rodia » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:26 am

There is a good chance I'll be able to make it this year, so do take note: I have all of July and August free UP TO the 25th of August. That's when the Wandering Musicians Festival starts and me and my gurdy are going (if anyone likes gurdies, banduras, accordeons, fiddles and "white voice" singing, you're welcome to tag along.)

I've had nine years to get over the last Oxford Moot, maybe I'm ready to try again. :P
Rodia
Ringbearer

Postby Leon K Fox » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:40 am

Silwen wrote:Excellent, I was just talking about it to someone new yesterday.

I'm assuming that the person in question here is me? ^^

At any rate, though I have only been in this fandom for a few weeks since watching the extended versions of the LOTR films and am in the process of reading the books for the first time (near the end of The Hobbit, going to move onto The Lord of the Rings afterwards) I should have gotten it all read by the time this moot (I need to read LOTR to become familar with this term, I'm told) comes around I should have done so. :P

I am likely to be very nervous as this will be the first event tailoured around this fandom so I'm gonna be nervous no doubt, but I look forward to it nonetheless!

I'm just hoping it doesn't clash with the B.U.C.K convention in Manchester which is taking place August 23rd to 25th, it will be my first ever convention and having to choose between the two events would be a nightmare for me. ^^;
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby Hobbituk » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:45 am

You'd be very welcome Leon. We're a friendly, laid-back bunch of people. There's no strict schedule to keep to and anyone can be around for as much or as little of the weekend as they like.

And don't worry about not having read the books, you'd be far from the first. There are some real experts who come along and have lots of very interesting things to say (on the odd occasion when we actually get around to discussing the books... we tend to have wide-ranging conversations, in fairness :D ), and then there are people like me who are basically idiots :)

Rodia... It would be awesome if you came :) But weren't you there in 2007? Only 6 years, not quite 9!
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Inzilbeth » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:53 am

I'm in :) I'm sure Angela will be as well, as for date I'm not fussed, ill as Angela and pass it on :)
Inzilbeth
Shield Bearer

Postby Leoba » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:56 am

If we're around on the weekend of choice we will pop in for one or both days. July is looking particularly busy for us at the moment - there might be a spare weekend mid-August though.
Leoba
Mariner

Location: Troubadour of Ithilien, dwelling within sight of Weathertop

Postby heliona » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:24 am

*raises hand* Me! Me, sir, me!! (And I suppose I have to bring Wilko along as well. :D)

The only weekend that I can't do is the 19th-21st July. Everything else is fine. (Although of course I may be in gainful employment by then - but I'll cross that bridge if/when I come to it!) :)
Image<-- Cute Border Collie puppy for Cute animal month in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby luthienelflover » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:53 am

This year I would finally have the money and time to come but I am going to have an infant and there is just no way that is happening. So, I will be jealous from afar yet again. :cry:
Alex :heart:
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Leon K Fox » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:57 am

Hobbituk wrote:You'd be very welcome Leon. We're a friendly, laid-back bunch of people. There's no strict schedule to keep to and anyone can be around for as much or as little of the weekend as they like.

And don't worry about not having read the books, you'd be far from the first. There are some real experts who come along and have lots of very interesting things to say (on the odd occasion when we actually get around to discussing the books... we tend to have wide-ranging conversations, in fairness :D ), and then there are people like me who are basically idiots :)

Well I've just determined that Oxford is about an hour and three quarters away from where I live but with 1 or 2 possible changes during the trip. That's not too long of a trip so I wouldn't have to stay for the entire weekend to justify it. Still, in an ideal world I would still hope there wasn't a clash. Again it depends on the chosen date/s so any bar for August 23rd to 25th work great for me!

And I'm not just reading the books to try and fit in or anything, I genuinley want to read them as I loved the Extended Film Trilogy so much and The Hobbit which I'm close to the end of (even if Smaug's death was very anti climatic I still love the book) and should have done so by the summer I'm sure. :P
Last edited by Leon K Fox on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby niniel* » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:06 am

Great! Put me down as a yes please :)

I don't have a preference for dates, but I would like to know asap so I can book time off.

As always Hobbituk, you are a star for kicking this off. I'm pretty sure if you didn't organise us, we wouldn't get around to booking until too late!

Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new people.
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:00 pm

Leon, if you're able to both afford it and have the time, I'd suggest trying to stay overnight. The people who come for a day tend to miss out on things during the evening, and always feel bad about having to leave earlier than others. Plus, you wouldn't get to experience the amazing breakfasts and dinner (hopefully) in the amazing Great Hall of Keble College. :) (Also, it tends to not be that late on in August, so you're probably okay with regards clashes.)

Luthy, that's a shame (although of course the best reason in the world to not be able to make it! :D).

Rodia, I really hope that we can both make it, as I'd love to finally meet you in person. :) The same goes for you, elfy. :D :thumbsup:

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby Leon K Fox » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:21 pm

heliona wrote:Leon, if you're able to both afford it and have the time, I'd suggest trying to stay overnight. The people who come for a day tend to miss out on things during the evening, and always feel bad about having to leave earlier than others. Plus, you wouldn't get to experience the amazing breakfasts and dinner (hopefully) in the amazing Great Hall of Keble College. :) (Also, it tends to not be that late on in August, so you're probably okay with regards clashes.)

I will try and stay for the duration of the moot then. ^^ The only thing that would stop me is the potential previously mentioned clash with B.U.C.K, but if these are usually held in early August that makes me more hopeful. :)

I'm getting rather excited all of a sudden, I must admit. I really hope this all works out. ^^
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby Gungnir » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:15 pm

I mentioned this to Mrs G - who said "I was only wondering about this today" - and the junior Gungnirs who said "Can we go again!?!" so obviously last year was a success.

We are hoping to go to Oxford this year for one of the open days for prospective students for the eldest Gungnir Jr. The open days are April 27th and sometime in September, neither of which have a reasonable overlap with the traditional mooting season so it looks like we will be making two trips. Huzzah! So, sometime in early august would, I think be my preference.

And Leon, a sizable chunk of the two moots I've been to were actually spent discussing non-Tolkien-related (at least, not directly related) subjects as diverse as Battlestar Galactica (both versions but not Galactica 1980), Schliemann's excavations of Troy at Hisarlik, Celtic language, Batman, Babylon 5, Japanese cinema and , of course, Star Trek.

Oh, and Doctor Who. Lots of that.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Leon K Fox » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:40 pm

Gungnir wrote:And Leon, a sizable chunk of the two moots I've been to were actually spent discussing non-Tolkien-related (at least, not directly related) subjects as diverse as Battlestar Galactica (both versions but not Galactica 1980), Schliemann's excavations of Troy at Hisarlik, Celtic language, Batman, Babylon 5, Japanese cinema and , of course, Star Trek.

Oh, and Doctor Who. Lots of that.

Oh I don't doubt that non Tolkien discussion occurs, at the fandom meetups I go to weekly we often talk about anything and everything :P

The Doctor Who part is especially relevant to my interests, of course!
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby heliona » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:48 pm

Wow, we didn't scare them, Gungnir? :shock: Clearly we didn't try hard enough! =:) It'll be good to see you all again. :)

heliona

Postby Bardhwyn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:17 pm

I'm in, me and my 'happy place' :D .

No gigs lined up for July/Aug so I am very flexible.

Seriously, I am bringing my happy place....
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Rodia » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:11 am

Oh, I might have....yes, I remember now, I mooted in Oxford twice, didn't I, once with Chris, once alone, and that was pre-Bounty so it must have been 2007 (I remember trying to make a very clever point about the way Brando played Christian and failing miserably while everyone stared blankly. And a couple more times after that.), and there was some drunken Irish mooting in between, and...and...yeah...well that's why YOU'RE in charge of things, Hobbi.

:whistle:

Heliona, whatever happens, don't get your hopes up. :P
Rodia
Ringbearer

Postby Hobbituk » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:19 am

Rodia wrote:Oh, I might have....yes, I remember now, I mooted in Oxford twice, didn't I, once with Chris, once alone, and that was pre-Bounty so it must have been 2007 (I remember trying to make a very clever point about the way Brando played Christian and failing miserably while everyone stared blankly. And a couple more times after that.), and there was some drunken Irish mooting in between, and...and...yeah...well that's why YOU'RE in charge of things, Hobbi.

I'm in charge of nothing, just a massive Moot-Geek :D I seem to remember that we persuaded you to come to the Oxford following Ireland, which is why I pegged it as 2007!

I'm also the king of making clever points and being stared at blankly. Well, I think they are clever points.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Rodia » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:13 am

I almost cried, I had all the words right in my head, but what came out was "He...um...ah...did this thing where...but it was really...uh...interesting."

I've bought a thesaurus since.
Rodia
Ringbearer

Postby Leon K Fox » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:55 am

May seem like an odd question but I think it's worth asking, do people sometimes do vlogs when they attend the moot? I vlog at the other fandom based meetups I go to I tend to do vlogs as memory keepsakes of the day/s out, would people here be comfortable if I were to do that if I attended this?
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby heliona » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:31 am

Most people are having too much fun to even take photos let alone do anything more constructive than that.

What is mostly done is that once we've returned home, we write a "moot report" and post it here on TORC.

Regarding the vlogs, I presume you mean video-ing events and people? Personally, I don't mind, but there are quite a few other people that attend these events that don't like their photos taken and put up online, so I would certainly think they would mind having video taken of them and then put up online. (Although as I said, you'll probably be too busy to take video anyway. :D )

heliona

Postby Leon K Fox » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:32 am

The videos tend to be uploaded as Unlisted rather than Publically, if that's of any significance to the matter.
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby heliona » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:56 pm

I wouldn't think so. There are likely to be some small children there and the parents (quite rightly) don't really want their children to be plastered all over the internet, so unlisted or public wouldn't make a difference, I would think. But see what other people say. It's just that being filmed/taken photos off makes some people really uncomfortable and then you would have to avoid them and it just gets a bit tedious (and also time-consuming). Personally I'd think it'd be best to not do it and simply enjoy being there (and maybe take a few stills instead). (I've found that one tends to miss out on things when one is busy filming.)

In addition, some people get rather intoxicated ;) and I would suspect that all of them don't want to see video of themselves inebriated (or other people to see them)! (I'm speaking for myself here, too.) It's one thing when everyone is having fun and is also there, but to have it on "celluloid" for the world to see ... that's something different.

There was talk about filming a proper little documentary a couple of years ago, but to be honest, that takes a huge amount of effort and we never got around to it.
Last edited by heliona on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heliona

Postby Leon K Fox » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:57 pm

Hm, I think I'll keep the vlogging to a minimum then, just to play it safe.
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby heliona » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:09 pm

That's probably a good idea. Also, there's a huge mix of people who come to this moot, and some might not take too kindly to videos of them (thinking of their careers, for example). One can't be too careful, nowadays.

Besides, if you're not thinking about filming, you can have more fun. :D

(I hope I haven't put you off, but I do think it'd be best all round if filming was kept to the minimum. :) )

heliona

Postby Leon K Fox » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:13 pm

Nah, not at all! The whole purpose of me asking the question was to determine if it would be a good idea or not, at the fandom based outings I go to on a weekly/monthly/whatever the case may be basis it's usually a non issue, but I thought it may well be different here so I decided to ask well in advance, and alas it's turned out to be worth my while doing so!
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby Inzilbeth » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:38 pm

I personally really really wouldn't want to be on video, Sorry Leon , the odd photo maybe :)
Inzilbeth
Shield Bearer

Next

Return to Events