Oxford Moot 2013: 9th - 11th August! Book A Room!

Have a Tolkien-inspired event you want to let people know about? Have a recap from a recent moot you were at? Come on in and discuss everything about events!

Which is your preference for the date of the 2013 Oxford Moot?

2nd - 4th August
30%
9th - 11th August
60%
Another date entirely because I'm an awkward sod
10%

Total votes : 10

Re: Oxford Moot 2013: 9th - 11th August! Book A Room!

Postby Leon K Fox » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:53 am

Just sent the e-mail to the new address, and it worked this time. :)
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby Hobbituk » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:15 am

Right, so two and a bit weeks to go and I've already drawn up a rough itinerary (disorganised? Me? pah!):

Friday

Afternoon – Arriving, checking in at Keble College, meet at The Lamb & Flag

7pm – Dinner at The Big Bang, Oxford Castle

Remaining Evening – Back to The Lamb & Flag for BEER

Saturday

Morning – Breakfast in the Great Hall at Keble, followed by whatever you wanna do

11am – Meet at the Bodleian for the Magical Books Exhibition

Noon-ish (or when we're done at the Bodleian) – The Eagle and Child for lunch/beer

Afternoon – The Eagle & Child will be the 'base', feel free to go Punting, Walking, Shopping or Museuming as you prefer.

6pm – Dinner upstairs at The Mitre followed by a quiz (courtesy of Wilko & Heliona) & beer until closing time!

Sunday

Morning – Breakfast in the Great Hall again, checking out, general meandering, COFFEE... perhaps at The Ashmolean Cafe again

Afternoon – When the pub opens, head for The Turf beer garden for Sunday Lunch. Saying 'tarra' throughout the afternoon.

Jobs a good 'un.

Couple of points...

- This is just a rough guide, don't feel you need to keep to it, it's just to give an idea of what the 'group' will be doing. And by 'group' I mean 'me'. I only need to know firm numbers for evening meals.

- There are no fixed plans for the Saturday afternoon this year. If anyone wants to organise a punting trip or something, then feel free to do that.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby truehobbit » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:17 am

Thanks for being organised, Hobbi! :D

Looks like Arphy won't be there this year, then? That's a pity - hope he's fine!

And I've hardly been on TORC at all last year, so I'm bound to be a liability on the quiz. :D :oops:
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:59 am

This will be the first quiz since Oxford 2004 I have participated in, in a non-organisary capacity. In that one my team cheated AND we came last.

I pity my future team members :)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Leon K Fox » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:27 pm

And after much delay, my train travel is now booked :D So there's no return at this point, you're all going to have to put up with me now. :P

Fortunately the return date is a Sunday as I can get any off peak train on that day with my chosen ticket, saved me a bucket load of money really.

Also, I already know I'm going to be such a liability in that quiz. :P
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby Aravar » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:30 am

I've finally managed to book a room, so I will be there lifts permitting :wink:
Aravar
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:32 am

Aravar wrote:I've finally managed to book a room, so I will be there lifts permitting :wink:

So far so good on that account. :D
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Hobbituk » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:06 am

I'm glad Aravar has booked a room because I've had him on my list of 'booked' people for months.

Not that I make assumptions or anything.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby wilko185 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:24 pm

Leon K Fox wrote:Also, I already know I'm going to be such a liability in that quiz. :P

Don't worry, the aim of the quiz is just to provide amusement to the quizmasters. If anyone actually does well in getting lots of answer, then we know there's something wrong with them.

BTW, looking online the Magic Books exhibit gets some good feedback, I'm looking forward to it. Here's a random post about it [spoilers!] focusing on the Tolkien bit, though there's more to it than that.
wilko185
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:13 pm

Speaking of which... having given it some thought we may change the schedule a little bit so that we visit the Exhibition in two groups. One in the morning and one after lunch. That'll give us the benefit of not cramming the place full of... well... us..., and also allow for people who are arriving later/needing to entertain young ones earlier.

So if everyone could bear that in mind and be prepared to have a preference, that'd be good. No need to decide just now of course.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby wilko185 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:30 pm

Yeah, someone has said it's quite a small exhibition. And I don't want lots of TORCers blocking my view of the Susan Cooper manuscripts (seriously).
wilko185
Mariner

Postby Leon K Fox » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:08 pm

Well, in an unexpected turn of events it seems as though a friend is going to be joining me on this trip to Oxford! Do go easy on him though as he's only seen the Peter Jackson LOTR Films :P I never expected him to ask to come but I saw no reason why not :)

wilko185 wrote:
Leon K Fox wrote:Also, I already know I'm going to be such a liability in that quiz. :P

Don't worry, the aim of the quiz is just to provide amusement to the quizmasters. If anyone actually does well in getting lots of answer, then we know there's something wrong with them.

Sounds like it'll be a good laugh at any rate. :P
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby Hobbituk » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:22 pm

Ok Leon, will he be joining us for the whole thing, inc meals? I need to know numbers for the Friday and Saturday evening.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Leon K Fox » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:31 pm

Hobbituk wrote:Ok Leon, will he be joining us for the whole thing, inc meals? I need to know numbers for the Friday and Saturday evening.

I just gave him a call to verify this, and he told me that yes, he will be. :)
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby Aravar » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:35 am

wilko185 wrote:Yeah, someone has said it's quite a small exhibition. And I don't want lots of TORCers blocking my view of the Susan Cooper manuscripts (seriously).

Given you're the tallest who is going to block your view? Heliona? Truehobbit?
Aravar
Ranger of the North

Postby wilko185 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:42 am

Aravar wrote:Given you're the tallest who is going to block your view? Heliona? Truehobbit?

If vertically stacked they might.
wilko185
Mariner

Postby Aravar » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:07 am

wilko185 wrote:If vertically stacked they might.

I'll leave it to you to suggest that.

I'm wondering whether we will be treated to a follow up of Hobbituk's seminal performance work "Is that science?", an astonishing exploration if the limits of epistemiology in the magnificent setting of the University of Oxford, utilising a collection of artifacts of the human quest for knowledge. If we'd video'd it it would surely have won the Turner Prize.
Aravar
Ranger of the North

Postby Hobbituk » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:02 am

Prob'ly. Otherwise I'd have to think up a new gag and that'd be too much like hard work.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Leon K Fox » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:07 am

Well, just to get it out of the way I've now collected my tickets from one of the machines in Bristol Temple Meads so I don't have to do it on the day. Should save me a bit of time when I get to the station on the Friday :)
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby Gungnir » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:17 am

Counting the hours now :)
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Leon K Fox » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:31 am

Less than a week to go now :D Been making plans to go to this steadily since February, can't believe it's so close to finally happening! I didn't quite finish LOTR as I had hoped, but hopefully I'll at least be on Return of the King when Saturday comes around. :P
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby heliona » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:06 pm

Leon, you havr seen the films, right? Although we don't talk about Tolkien that much, you may be spoiled for things in RotK. :)

Not long now! :D
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Gungnir » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:36 pm

Oh and Leon, I hope Doctor Who is also one of your interests - I have a strange feeling that it might crop up in conversation at some point.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Leon K Fox » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:39 pm

heliona wrote:Leon, you havr seen the films, right? Although we don't talk about Tolkien that much, you may be spoiled for things in RotK. :)

Oh I have :) They were what got me started on Tolkien back in January even. Still, had hoped to have read the whole of the source material for a greater perspective of the story and what have you. I know the general storyline but reading the books has still been a very interesting and fufilling (if slow) experience.

Gungnir wrote:Oh and Leon, I hope Doctor Who is also one of your interests - I have a strange feeling that it might crop up in conversation at some point.

Oh it very much is :D Not seen every episode under the sun but I do consider myself a big fan of it nonetheless.
Last edited by Leon K Fox on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby Hobbituk » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:59 pm

I can't think of any reason Doctor Who would come up in conversation.

*cough*
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Leon K Fox » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:42 am

Hobbituk wrote:I can't think of any reason Doctor Who would come up in conversation.

*cough*

Well just in case it does I've been refreshing my memory on the Steven Moffat seasons of the show, should they come up in conversation :P
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby satch » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:02 am

Hellooo there m00ters! Unfortunately it seems Pandora won't be making it this weekend :( but it does mean we now have a spare bed if anyone was umming and ahhing for that exact reason......? Anyway if anyone needs a room give me a shout!
satch
Mariner

Postby Leon K Fox » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:28 am

Got my hair cut and my case packed for the weekend, can't believe this is happening tomorrow! Gotta be up early to get to the train station in time, though there's been a surprising lack of word from my friend over the past few days, will be giving him a call before the day is over to see what's going on with him.
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby Hobbituk » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:06 am

Right, hope everyone is set and organised and stuff! I've got Wilko and Heliona picking me up in half an hour, so I won't be on TORC again until the weekend is over. If you need me, my mobile is your best bet (assuming you have my number already).

Have a good one folks!

EDIT - Quick edit to list out the expected folks this weekend...

Hobbituk
Inzilbeth
Angela
Truehobbit
Stormeagle
Heliona
Wilko
Leoba
Dindraug
Leon K Fox & friend
Bardy
Niniel*
Satch
Jaenivier
Jae's mum
Rodia
Alys
The_Angel
The_Dean
Gungnir
Mrs Gungnir
The Gunglings
Aravar
Pippin4242
Tosh
Calle

Quite the crowd!
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby niniel* » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:46 am

Erm what are we doing again? :P

It's a shame Pandora isn't coming this year :(

Glad you got your room sorted Aravar!

Leon, also brush up on your Marvel/DC/Game of Thrones/Minecraft/fantasy books/RPG/films in general....it may not help with the quiz but there is a lot of chat on these topics :lol:

And anyway, Wilko is doing the quiz this year. I have a bad feeling that everyone is going to be a liablitity in this quiz! :twisted:
niniel*
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Events