Oxford Moot 2014: You should come to it! 25th - 27th July

Have a Tolkien-inspired event you want to let people know about? Have a recap from a recent moot you were at? Come on in and discuss everything about events!

Which date would you prefer for the 2014 Oxford Moot?

25th - 27th July
44%
1st - 3rd August
56%
Earlier in July
No votes
Later in August
No votes

Total votes : 16

Re: Oxford Moot 2014: You should come to it! 25th - 27th Jul

Postby Hobbituk » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:49 am

That's to be confirmed still.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby JewelSong » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:34 pm

So we're not going to be eating in the Keble Hall on Saturday night? I kinda liked that...

I am arriving sometime Friday afternoon...are people going to be in the Lamb and Flag? And by "people" I mean "Hobbituk"

:D
JewelSong
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:33 am

JewelSong wrote:So we're not going to be eating in the Keble Hall on Saturday night? I kinda liked that...

It's become much more expensive that it was before, so we don't eat there any more. Just breakfast now.
Image<-- Cute Border Collie puppy for Cute animal month in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby JewelSong » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:08 am

Ah...figures they'd raise the price. So - The Big Bang it is, then! :D
JewelSong
Ranger of the North

Postby Leon K Fox » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:39 am

I've only eaten breakfast at Keble (since my Moot debut was last year) and I can imagine their dinners are lovely but yeah, it would make the weekend a bit too expensive for me.
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby Hobbituk » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:33 pm

JewelSong wrote:So we're not going to be eating in the Keble Hall on Saturday night? I kinda liked that...

I am arriving sometime Friday afternoon...are people going to be in the Lamb and Flag? And by "people" I mean "Hobbituk"

:D

Oh yes. Oh yes indeedy.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Leon K Fox » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:37 pm

The Eagle and Child was shut last year and I had assumed The Lamb and Flag was a fallback since it was so close, or has that always been the go to pub? Again, only been to one Moot at this point :P

Also I can't believe how close this actually is now. :D
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby Hobbituk » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:49 am

Usually its the Lamb and Flag on the Friday, Eagle and Child on the Saturday.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Leon K Fox » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:06 am

Hobbituk wrote:Usually its the Lamb and Flag on the Friday, Eagle and Child on the Saturday.

Sounds good, thanks for the clarification :)

I most definitely look forward to going in The Eagle and Child for the first time as I've said.
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby niniel* » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:53 am

Leon K Fox wrote:I've only eaten breakfast at Keble (since my Moot debut was last year) and I can imagine their dinners are lovely but yeah, it would make the weekend a bit too expensive for me.

You didn't miss much, the food wasn't great. The dinner we had there one year was just bangers and mash anyway! The surroundings are impressive, but you get that when you have breakfast (which they do better than the dinner). It was good to sit at the head table though 8)
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby niniel* » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:23 am

Some things to do Saturday afternoon (in between pubs!) if you fancy.

Ashmolean Museum. Discovering Tutankhamun - Howard Carter's excavation of the tomb of Tutankhamun in 1922 was one of the most significant archaeological discoveries of the 20th century. The exhibition will tell the story of the discovery of the tomb, its popular appeal, and explore how modern Egyptologists are reinterpreting the evidence. Tuesday to Sunday, 10am to 5pm

Old Bodleian Library. The Great War: Personal Stories From Downing Street to the Trenches - The exhibition is part of a series of three different but connected exhibitions in three countries looking at 'War in the Archives'. Saturday, 9am - 5pm Admission free

Bodleian Library. Upstairs Downstairs Guided Tour - See the Radcliffe Camera, the Bodleian Library and walk through the underground tunnel. Saturday, 9.15-10.45am £13

Oxford Plyahouse. Playhouse Plays Out: Suffragettes and Rabble-Rousers - Hour-long audio tour with a difference - celebrating many of the great and radical minds that have spent time in the city. Saturday 10am-6pm £5

In the Eagle and Child Art by Andrew Manson - A selection of site-specific, and Oxford, paintings and prints. Saturday, 11.30am-11pm Free

Oh and for Friday evening, I have no idea what this even means: The Talc Daemons Share this event! An evening of Devilishly Oom-Pah Reggae and Perniciously Ping-Pong Pop at The Half Moon in St Clements. But, it sounds good! :lol:

Edit: Sorry if these have a history bias, but that's me! There were quite a few art related things (I don't know enough about art to choose what is good to visit) and plenty of plays (which looked great but you have to book in advance)
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby Leon K Fox » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:59 pm

niniel* wrote:
Leon K Fox wrote:I've only eaten breakfast at Keble (since my Moot debut was last year) and I can imagine their dinners are lovely but yeah, it would make the weekend a bit too expensive for me.
You didn't miss much, the food wasn't great. The dinner we had there one year was just bangers and mash anyway! The surroundings are impressive, but you get that when you have breakfast (which they do better than the dinner). It was good to sit at the head table though 8)

Oh...well that's just as well then :P They do one of the nicest breakfasts I've ever had so I had assumed the dinner would be just as lovely but it seems to not be the case, ah well, we aren't eating in there anyway. :) But it does have an incredible atmosphere, I was awe struck when I saw it for the first time even after looking at it on the website, it doesn't do it justice. Not a Harry Potter fan but the comparison to the Great Hall in Hogwarts certainly seems apt, the entire college has quite the atmosphere to it though and I look forward to seeing it all again.

Must admit I'm not the biggest fan of bangers and mash, but I can make do with it for this :P
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby heliona » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:16 pm

niniel* wrote:Bodleian Library. Upstairs Downstairs Guided Tour - See the Radcliffe Camera, the Bodleian Library and walk through the underground tunnel. Saturday, 9.15-10.45am £13

I can recommend this. I went on it the first time I went to the Oxford Moot and it was brilliant. I'd actually be willing to go on it again if anyone else wants to join me. :) I was also thinking about going punting (pedalo-ing/rowing) this year again.

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby niniel* » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:20 am

Leon, it wasn't horrible food. It was just 'ok' so I don't mind missing it.

Heliona, yes I'm in for that!

I may go to Discovering Tutankhamun on another date.
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby Leon K Fox » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:37 am

I honestly don't know what I'm going to do activity wise this time, but since I'm being a lot more sensible with my money I'll be more flexible with my spending, I was borderline broke at the Moot last year because I used to spend it all with wild abandon, started working on changing that after the New Year.

Also hope I don't get myself a bit too drunk and in need of a nap on the Saturday again, missed out on a few hours of the day and had to power nap until you all went to the Weatherspoons. But, you learn from your mistakes and all that...though I have less "bulk" to absorb it this time so that should be interesting. :3

niniel* wrote:Leon, it wasn't horrible food. It was just 'ok' so I don't mind missing it.

I hadn't thought you'd said it was horrible, but for how much it would have made the weekend cost for me I'd have hoped it would be as good if not maybe a bit better than the breakfast food but oh well. :P
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby heliona » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:47 am

Leon K Fox wrote:I hadn't thought you'd said it was horrible, but for how much it would have made the weekend cost for me I'd have hoped it would be as good if not maybe a bit better than the breakfast food but oh well. :P

When we had it it didn't cost nearly as much as it did last year and does now. I think it was only about a tenner.

heliona

Postby Hobbituk » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:36 pm

Peoples of the Moot! I need to have a firmer grasp of certain figures. Ahem. I could do with knowing who will be around for the Friday and Saturday evening meals! Please let me know here or on TORC as soon as possible please. Ta muchly.

People I know of so far for definite:

FRIDAY: Hobbituk, Leon K Fox, Wilko185, JewelSong, Alys, The_Angel, niniel*, Bardhwyn, Stormeagle, Arpharazon, Cookie

SATURDAY: All the above plus heliona and Aravar.

Please tell me if I haven't got your name on the list (I know there are more, those are just the definites), please tell me if you have a +1, please do not tell me if your name IS on the list, or if your name ISN'T on the list BUT you're not coming. Because that will save us time. Cheers!

ALSO: If you can't commit yet but are still thinking of coming, please do tell me, we can work around that if needs be.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby ToshoftheWuffingas » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:23 am

I am now a definite. Room booked and I shall be at any eating establishment I am ordered to attend.
ToshoftheWuffingas
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:43 am

Hokay, put me down as a maybe for Friday evening. I am in the latest stages of sorting out a trip to the UK and I may swing by Oxford. Things need to be sorted soon so I'll be back asap.
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Hobbituk » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:43 am

Cool, Canamarth! That would be excellent :)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Canamarth » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:53 am

And it's clear now - I'll be there! For both Fri and Sat! :)
I've had a look back in the thread but am not quite clear on the schedule yet. When and where are the official meetings?
And I'll definitely take the Bodleian tour. Would be great to join you, heliona. Also interested in a stroll through the Botanic Gardens (I arrive Thursday evening so also have the whole of Friday).
I see there's been discussion on which pub to go to. Have you considered The Turf yet? Quite liked the ambience - just don't remember how the food actually was ... Never mind if that's all been discussed.
Sorry for all these Moot newbie questions ...

EDIT - Just having a look around and found what looks like a cool exhibition: http://www.o3gallery.co.uk/o3_gallery_c ... tions.html Mythology and stuff ... :D admission is free.
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:16 pm

Brilliant news!

Haven't done any sort of itinerary yet, but we will be meeting in The Lamb & Flag on the Friday.

The Turf we tend to visit for Sunday lunch, the food has been pretty good in recent years. I haven't thought about other activities yet, but all suggestions welcome (and we often split into groups depending on who wants to do what :) )
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Hobbituk » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:21 am

Double post to update everyone on the restaurant situation...

The Friday Night

Alys has found us a very nice looking Pizza place in the Jericho area of Oxford (just up the road from The Lamb and Flag) imaginatively called Mamma Mia. We'll be eating there at 7pm.

The Saturday Night

The plan (or the backup plan, after the Function Room at The Mitre fell through... not literally) was to book 'The Big Bang', the sausage and mash place we all enjoyed last year.

Sadly, only a week or so ago they were forced to close as the owners are redeveloping the building.... booooo!

So the backup backup plan is now that we will be eating at The Mitre again, but not in the function room. We've got a normal table booked amongst the rabble. The food has been reasonably decent there for the last few years so I thought it would do the job nicely and spare me from the dreaded trawl through Oxford restaurant reviews.

Now the table there is booked for 5.30pm, that's because we're heading back to Keble to take over their bar from 8pm and we don't want to have to rush back. Hope it doesn't impede any planned afternoon activities too much, but it does give us a longer evening!

Hope that's all fine with everyone! It's a-coming! :D
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby niniel* » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:57 am

Thank you Hobbituk! All looks good to me.
See you in the Lamb & Flag Friday lunchtime!
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:14 am

Here's a bit more information about the Bodleian Tour. Extended Tour I'm guessing that we can book individually, as I don't think there'll be a large group of us wanting to go on it this time.

heliona

Postby ArPharazon » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:31 am

Hi all

It's been so long since I was on the site that I had to get a new password!!!

Looking forward to seeing you all.

Do you want a "tour" this year? (I won't offer a murder mystery - not enough time to prepare).

Thanks to those doing the organising as ever.

Arphy
ArPharazon
Mariner

Postby ArPharazon » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:35 am

Two other thoughts - I'll be arriving Friday afternoon, so can help get Hobbi off the floor of the L&F as necessary.

If we have the Keble bar on Saturday night - do you want a rehearsed reading? (As well as or instead of the tour?) I think I have time to prepare (though not learn) something.

Arphy
ArPharazon
Mariner

Postby JewelSong » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:32 am

Would love a tour and/or a reading by Arphy! Also interested in the Bodelian thing. Very excited to see everyone!
JewelSong
Ranger of the North

Postby Hobbituk » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:37 am

Would love one of your tours Arphy!

Would also love a reading, but worth bearing in mind that the Keble bar is still open to other guests.

I'm also keen, as I mentioned previously, that we find some way to appropriately mark Rowanberry's passing. The obvious thing is a simple toast, but if anyone has any other ideas please do share - she was a big part of the Oxford Moots.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby ArPharazon » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:26 am

I'm also keen, as I mentioned previously, that we find some way to appropriately mark Rowanberry's passing.

Two thoughts: - a minutes silence in respect (traditional, short, dignified and allows each person present to remember her in their own way);

Was there a place she particularly liked in Oxford - a bunch of flowers left there seems a "modern" way of marking someone's life/passing. (Not one I am drawn to but I suggest it anyway).

I'll drop the reading idea then and rework the tour.

Arphy
ArPharazon
Mariner

PreviousNext

Return to Events