Oxford Moot 2014: You should come to it! 25th - 27th July

Have a Tolkien-inspired event you want to let people know about? Have a recap from a recent moot you were at? Come on in and discuss everything about events!

Which date would you prefer for the 2014 Oxford Moot?

25th - 27th July
44%
1st - 3rd August
56%
Earlier in July
No votes
Later in August
No votes

Total votes : 16

Re: Oxford Moot 2014: You should come to it! 25th - 27th Jul

Postby ArPharazon » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:32 am

Just to add - the minutes silence could of course be associated with a toast, or placing the flowers.
ArPharazon
Mariner

Postby niniel* » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:43 am

Wonderful idea Arphy. I'll be happy for a tour too. Maybe during the tour we could stop somewhere and remember Rowan but I can't think of a particular place.
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby Hobbituk » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:51 am

I think those are both good suggestions :)

I like the idea of stopping along the tour somewhere too for the moment of silence, if we can think of a suitable spot.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby ArPharazon » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:11 am

There are usually some quiet spots around Christchurch Meadows - at the back of Merton.

There are also the gardens just up from the L&F and E&C pubs where the main road divides.

I think Berhael may not be with us but can anyone else recite Namarie? Otherwise I could perhaps try to find a bit Tolkien (from Beren & Luthien or something). Any ideas?

Keble Chapel might be another option for a moment of solemn reflection - for its quietude rather than religion (I hasten to add).

Arphy
ArPharazon
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:20 am

Somewhere in Keble's grounds which might be nice would be the little spot to the left as you go in through the Porter's cabin, that quiet little grassy area under the tree.

Alternatively, Tolkien's bench in the University Parks, near the two trees?

Your ideas are also good, Arphy, I trust to your knowledge of Oxford :)

Readings-wise, rowanberry's favourite book was the Silmarillion. Perhaps something from there?
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby ArPharazon » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:32 am

How about something from the Creation - Tolkien's wonderful allegory of the music? I'll have a look and see if there's something suitable.

We might not get entry to Merton's grounds - indeed, highly unlikely in my view, given we and Rowanberry have no connection with the college - hence my idea of outside the back wall.

I like the idea of Tolkien's bench - but was that in the Parks or in the Botanical Garden? (I'll check. If I can.)

Arphy
ArPharazon
Mariner

Postby ArPharazon » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:35 am

We could try to find this: A bench dedicated to Tolkien between tress named after Laurelin and Telperion - might be ideal. Good thinking batman - it is in the Uni Parks and close to Keble.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... _Parks.JPG

Arphy
ArPharazon
Mariner

Postby heliona » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:40 am

ArPharazon wrote:We could try to find this: A bench dedicated to Tolkien between tress named after Laurelin and Telperion - might be ideal. Good thinking batman - it is in the Uni Parks and close to Keble.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... _Parks.JPG

Arphy

I really like this idea. :)
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Hobbituk » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:41 am

Yes, that's it. Sat there one year by accident, not realising it was the Tolkien bench. I think that'd be spot on. Not sure if rowanberry ever went there, but it's quiet and has a good Mooty connection.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby ArPharazon » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:50 am

I'll try to make sure i know the exact spot in advance.

I suggest early(ish) morning as a good time - not too many people about.

If we all chip in for a nice bunch of flowers, we could leave them (beside rather than on the bench, or at the base of one of the trees) with a note attached, explaining that the person being remembered was a Tolkien-lover. Others might then be moved to remember too.

I'll pick something from the Tolkien creation - the Ainulindalë - and something about the two trees. Any volunteers for a female voice for the latter?

Phil
ArPharazon
Mariner

Postby heliona » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:59 am

There might be a clash with the Bodleian tour, depending on how early we were wanting to do it.

If absolutely no-one else puts themselves forward, I'll volunteer, but my pronunciation is likely to be abysmal!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby Leon K Fox » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:31 pm

Must admit I can't help but think that I'm going to be slightly out of place with regards to everyone wishing to pay tribuite to Rowanberry. I lost someone dear to me recently and can sympathize with it...but I never met her as she wasn't at last year's Moot so it almost feels like I might be butting in a bit. Does that make sense...or am I getting concerned over nothing like usual? :oops:

I just wanted to put that out there, in any case.
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby ArPharazon » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:10 pm

Leon - we haven't met, soI hope you'll not mind me responding.

You'll be welcome to participate and I'm sure Rowanberry would be delighted if you did. (I didn't know her well, either, though I liked her as i like most Mooters.) It is a moment, I think, when we can all come together and celebrate what we have in common.

I could see you using the occasion as a moment of reflection for your lost dear one, and/or recognising the past, present and future of our Moots. They ARE the people who attend, now and in the past.

I hope you will feel included and not exluded by this (so far) unique act of remembrance and feel you can, and want to be part of it.

Welcome,

Arphy
ArPharazon
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:02 am

Well said.

Neither I, nor anyone else in the group, nor especially rowanberry, would want anyone to feel left out. All would be welcome to participate, no matter how well or little they knew her.

Conversely, anyone who didn't feel comfortable would not be thought badly of for taking a step back for this if it helps.

I envisage it will be a significant, but small part of the weekend. Just a way of us marking, celebrating and commemorating the friendship of someone who was very much a part of the Moots.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Leon K Fox » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:58 am

Alright, thank you both. :) I thought it would be best to put that out there now rather than at the Moot itself on the weekend and I'm glad that I did as it has most certainly put me at ease. I know that you guys are great at making newcomers feel welcome and learned that last year, but this was of course a more personal and sombre matter since she was such a long standing member of the group.
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby Canamarth » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:31 am

Just a thought - why don't we read somehting rowanberry wrote herself? Can be in addition to sth. from the Sil. And I do have a suggestion. The last post in the BELERIAND roleplay. Dark and heavy nooks and crannies explored in that particular thread. But so worth a read. rowanberry did get a lot of us together to enlivend the thread again after we all lapsed a bit and we talked about moving along further in the timeline - but never got round to it. The idea was that we all take Elves and humans involved in the battles of Beleriand, each putting a small spotlight on events around Tolkien's story; flesh out some details, so to say. We came to the end of Nirnaeth.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=24468&start=660
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Hobbituk » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:53 am

That's an excellent idea! :)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Canamarth » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:41 am

I'll bring the text along in any case.
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby ArPharazon » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:45 am

Canamarth - good idea and very appropriate. It's not my show or anyones. So please feel free to read it as far as I am concerned. :)
ArPharazon
Mariner

Postby Canamarth » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:02 am

So, I went ahead and booked the Bodleian Upstairs, Downstairs tour. Was a bit shocked when I didn't see the tour in the online booking shop immediately - but apparently they don't always come listed by date. So, tickets are still available - you just need to scroll down a little. Anyone with me on the Saturday morning?
http://www.oxforduniversitystores.co.uk ... catid=1774
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby JewelSong » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 pm

I'll join you! I just booked my ticket, too! Looks like a fascinating tour! Thanks for the link!
JewelSong
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:22 pm

Great! And the link originally came from heliona, so thanks to her!
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:31 am

That's Wilko and me booked on the Bodleian tour. It should be interesting to go on it again now that I work in an old academic library (the third best in the country, apparently, behind the British Library and the Bodleian) - it'll bring a different perspective relative to the last time I was on the tour. :)

heliona

Postby Leon K Fox » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:31 pm

Still not decided what I'm going to be doing activity wise. Do people generally decide before they get there or just on the spur of the moment during the Moot? I know I went last year but I very much went with the flow there :P
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby Aravar » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:01 am

I have managed to book a room in Wadham so I won't be too far away.
Aravar
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:52 am

Leon K Fox wrote:Still not decided what I'm going to be doing activity wise. Do people generally decide before they get there or just on the spur of the moment during the Moot? I know I went last year but I very much went with the flow there :P

A bit of both. There's always so much to do in Oxford. Some people just spend all day in the pub ( :D ) and others like to experience Oxford a bit. There generally isn't a group activity on the Saturday, though (although there's the library tour which some of us are going on). Of course, last year there was the magic books thing, which most of us went to, but there's never any obligation to do anything.

If you want to go and look at something, then off you go. Maybe mention it to people on the day to see if they want to join you, but otherwise just do your own thing. That way there's no pressure to do anything you don't want to. But I guess you have to be happy to wander about on your own, and then return to the pub later. Our moots aren't organised events in that sense (it's just where we eat that's organised) so if you want to do something, you have to take your own initiative. :)

Did that make sense?

heliona

Postby JewelSong » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:15 am

Leon, it can go either way. Some pele have booked tis for the Boedlian tour (see above) because that has to be at a set time. And of course the group dinners are at a specific time. But other stuff...well...as the spirit(s) move you! See you soon!
JewelSong
Ranger of the North

Postby ArPharazon » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:29 am

Leon. Not sure that there are any takers for my tour. So if you have a spare moment and want to explore Oxford, just let me know. I have no fixed plans whatsoever.

Arphy
ArPharazon
Mariner

Postby heliona » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:35 am

Arphy, I thought you weren't going to be doing it because you were doing the reading? Otherwise, I'd love your tour. I was thinking about going punting, but it depends on how busy it is and of course, the weather. Since I'm there on Sunday too, I can do it then instead.

heliona

Postby Canamarth » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:16 pm

I'll be travelling from tomorrow morning onwards. Looking forward to meeting most of you on Friday evening for pizza! :)
Canamarth
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to Events