Oxford Moot 2014: You should come to it! 25th - 27th July

Have a Tolkien-inspired event you want to let people know about? Have a recap from a recent moot you were at? Come on in and discuss everything about events!

Which date would you prefer for the 2014 Oxford Moot?

25th - 27th July
44%
1st - 3rd August
56%
Earlier in July
No votes
Later in August
No votes

Total votes : 16

Re: Oxford Moot 2014: You should come to it! 25th - 27th Jul

Postby ToshoftheWuffingas » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:07 am

Some minor problem with word order there.
ToshoftheWuffingas
Ranger of the North

Postby MeadowForest » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:33 am

Ooh, it would be so great if I could actually make this one! :) I don't have a straightforward job situation at the moment so it really isn't possible for me to confirm anything this early on, which of course will mess up the staying at Kemble. Here's hoping I can at least go across for one day if all's uncertain otherwise. (And why oh why are the trains so awkward about going to a place that really shouldn't take long to get to?!)
MeadowForest
Shield Bearer

Postby niniel* » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:26 am

Gungnir wrote:OK, it seems likely that I shall be attending, sans Gunglings but will be booking closer to the date. I'm hoping to meet friends, both old and new!

Great, glad you are coming! Shame about Mrs Gungnir and the Gunglings though :(
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:47 pm

So, Wilko and I will be staying Sunday night too. The reasoning behind this is that I can't get Friday 25th off work, but I can get the Monday off, so staying an extra day means I actually get to spend some time in Oxford (Wilko will be attending on Friday as per usual, whereas I'll be rolling up late on Friday, probably missing Bangers & Mash. :cry2: ). :)
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Leon K Fox » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:34 pm

I still haven't gotten in touch with Keble to mention TORC in the booking :P The Moot isn't until July but I think the length of time that's passed since this got bought up should show how forgetful I am, hopefully I remember to get around to it soon.
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby Hobbituk » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:27 am

It really won't matter Leon, I shouldn't bother. We haven't got anything official set up with Keble, we only mention it in our bookings on the off chance they'll see it and allocate us sensibly, but if they don't they don't.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Leon K Fox » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:36 pm

Hobbituk wrote:It really won't matter Leon, I shouldn't bother. We haven't got anything official set up with Keble, we only mention it in our bookings on the off chance they'll see it and allocate us sensibly, but if they don't they don't.

Mm, in that case then I won't bother. :) At least I have the room booked in any case, now all I have to get sorted is the train travel, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby Berhael » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:46 am

Reading Rowan's post earlier in the thread saying that she was planning to come along made me well up. :cry:

I'm afraid I'm going to miss this one too - for a day. :( Me and my family are flying down to Madrid on the Saturday. :x :(
Berhael
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:30 am

I'm sorry to hear that Berhael.

I'm hoping we can integrate some sort of tribute to Rowanberry into this year's Oxford Moot. If anyone has any suggestions about that, please do let me know.

And for anyone reading this who doesn't know what we're talking about, lurkers and newbies alike, THIS THREAD here explains it best.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby JewelSong » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:23 pm

Ber...boo! I was really hoping to see you and the gang!

:(

Some kind of remembrance for Rowanberry would be most fitting. I still can't believe she is gone.
JewelSong
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:01 pm

I'm thinking on it, but any ideas would be gratefully received.

Ber, no! Not again. :cry2:

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby JewelSong » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:32 pm

In memory of Rowanberry, it seems to me that it would be fitting to have the Tolkien portion of the quiz be particularly obscure and impossible. :D
JewelSong
Ranger of the North

Postby Gungnir » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:21 am

JewelSong wrote:In memory of Rowanberry, it seems to me that it would be fitting to have the Tolkien portion of the quiz be particularly obscure and impossible. :D

Unlike previous years?
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby heliona » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:17 am

Gungnir, you have no idea! There have been in the past questions that only wilko, Aravar, and rowanberry knew the answers to. :-D And since wilko is likely to be involved in making the quiz again this year, I'd say the possibility of extremely obscure Middle-earth questions might be on the cards. ;-)

heliona

Postby niniel* » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:12 am

I'm booked into Keble!

Looking forward to the quiz. It always reminds me of how much I don't know!
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby Leon K Fox » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:25 am

I was beyond awful at last year's quiz, having only been into The Hobbit and LOTR for a few months at that point it should come as no surprise, though I doubt I'll be any better this year either. :P It was a lot of fun though, for sure. :)
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby heliona » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:57 am

The quiz is not all about Tolkien, you must remember. :P There are chances to get answers in other categories. ;) Of course, if you also can't remember anything about the films, don't know anything about Oxford, and have no taste in music, then I guess you're in trouble. ;) :D

heliona

Postby Leon K Fox » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:03 pm

heliona wrote:The quiz is not all about Tolkien, you must remember. :P There are chances to get answers in other categories. ;) Of course, if you also can't remember anything about the films, don't know anything about Oxford, and have no taste in music, then I guess you're in trouble. ;) :D

...I actually forgot that it had non Tolkien questions. ^^; I feel a bit silly round about now.
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:32 pm

Most of you have seen this by now, but for any lurkers who don't lurk in the other places I've posted this...

I've made a little video tribute to our Rowanberry, focusing on all the many Moots she's been to and her place within our group, and it can be found HERE.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Leon K Fox » Mon May 05, 2014 5:51 pm

We're still a good 2 months off of the Moot, but to try and save a bit on train fare I'm booking it some time in advance (since travel companies rip you off if you're in a hurry) I've now gotten it done, ran me just over 30 quid at £32.85. Now that I've done that that's the absolute last thing I needed to get done since I booked my room at Keble back in January, my excitement has grown as a result :)

I loved my first time last year and I can't wait to return. :D
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby JewelSong » Tue May 06, 2014 1:29 am

I am also very much looking forward to seeing everyone! :D
JewelSong
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Tue May 06, 2014 12:40 pm

It'll be great to see you again, Jewel. I'm looking forward to hearing about all your antics in Africa (even though I've been reading them, it's not the same). :)

heliona

Postby notlistening » Sun May 11, 2014 6:09 pm

Sooooo, even though this one hasn't happened as yet, any plans for another moot in 2015? :roll: I will be ($$$ willing) venturing back to the UK/Europe by then. And would love to see you again and meet others. Though it's more likely to be July than August.

Raise a cup of coffee for Toby.
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Cucalen » Tue May 13, 2014 6:18 am

*dusts away the cobwebs* Ooooh my account is still active, very nice. I am hoping to be popping down to the hopefully sunny city of Oxford this year. I have the summer off and I'm needing a good break away from the north. Will be extremely good to see everyone.
Cucalen
Rider of the Mark

Postby truehobbit » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:31 am

It's for all the happiest reasons, but I'm still sorry to have to say I can't come to Oxford this year.

My sweetie and I are moving into a new apartment together in July, so I'll be pretty broke. :D Of course, I was pretty broke last year, too (hence the last minute decision then to join in spite of narrow funds), that's why I hadn't yet said anything - was still thinking maybe I'll get there after all - but now a good friend is celebrating her 50th birthday in July and that also involves travel for us, making Oxford definitely out of the question.

It'll be really, really strange not being in Oxford and seeing all you guys, I'm sure. I'll probably have a drink or three to you all then. :grouphug: :drink:
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby JewelSong » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:24 am

That's a bummer, Truehobbit! I was looking forward to seeing you again after our hiking excursion in MA! Maybe next year...?
JewelSong
Ranger of the North

Postby Hobbituk » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:09 am

Right then, you lovely people!

Oxford Moot news!

First the GOOD news...

Despite a few absent faces, there's still gonna be a fair old crowd of us in Oxford this year! And I'll be there! Hooray!

And now some HMMMM news...

We've been unable to get our usual function room at The Mitre! Some other tossers got in there first. The nerve.

But there is MORE GOOD news...

Keble have kindly suggested we hold our usual Saturday evening's festivities in their Bar. The bar will still be open for other guests, but I imagine if we all keep saying words like 'Faramir' loudly enough we should be able to make the space our own.

Therefore we will eat elsewhere early on Saturday evening (currently planning to book for The Big Bang, the sausage and mash place) and return to Keble for larks.

Hope that's all OK with everyone. Very much looking forward to it! Not long now!
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby niniel* » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:34 am

Thank you! All sounds good to me :)
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Oxford Moot 2014: You should come to it! 25th - 27th July

Postby Stormeagle » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:16 am

Sounds good to me. What is the plan for Friday evening?
Stormeagle
Citizen of Imladris

Postby heliona » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:16 am

Oh, that's good news. :) I'm sure everyone will clear out once we start on the quiz. ;)

Where will eating be happening on Friday then?

heliona

PreviousNext

Return to Events