Oxford Moot 2014: You should come to it! 25th - 27th July

Have a Tolkien-inspired event you want to let people know about? Have a recap from a recent moot you were at? Come on in and discuss everything about events!

Which date would you prefer for the 2014 Oxford Moot?

25th - 27th July
44%
1st - 3rd August
56%
Earlier in July
No votes
Later in August
No votes

Total votes : 16

Re: Oxford Moot 2014: You should come to it! Pick a date!

Postby Alys » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:45 am

Something immovable has come up that means that we cannot make the first weekend in August afterall. :( Can you change both our votes to the end of July instead?
Alys

Postby ArPharazon » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:36 pm

I said I wouldn't vote, but as a key reason for attending is to see my dear Alys and her handsome hubby and darling boy, I will vote for end July.

Arphy
ArPharazon
Mariner

Postby Alys » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:03 am

Thank you, Arphy. That's lovely of you! I'm really looking forward to seeing you, its been far too long!
Alys

Postby JewelSong » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:25 am

Ditto!
JewelSong
Ranger of the North

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:40 am

That edges the 25th - 27th July into the lead, and is also the weekend with the fewest number of 'I definitely can't do that one' people anyway. I think only Stormeagle had a potential problem with that weekend but he wasn't definite.

So, the 25th - 27th July it is!

Tell your friends!
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Re: Oxford Moot 2014: You should come to it! 25th - 27th Jul

Postby Leon K Fox » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:49 am

I had voted for the weekend that seemed to be convenient for most people and it looks like I was still wrong, oh well :P Now I know when to book Keble College for and when the time comes when to book the trains for as well. I look forward to it greatly :D
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby Democritus » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:32 am

Mooting is always fun!

If the moot is the last weekend in July, then the wife and I can come (she is curious), if the first weekend in August then sadly I will be at a friends wedding. :)
Last edited by Democritus on Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Democritus
Mariner

Postby Leon K Fox » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:18 pm

Whilst I am still saving for the plans that I have after I've lost the weight I aim to lose, on Tuesday I'm going to skip the save for just one month and get my room at Keble paid off well in advance now that I know the date. :)
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby niniel* » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:20 pm

Great!
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby Leon K Fox » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:58 pm

Change of plans, managed to get the room for Keble booked now, the £115 paid for the two nights up front so it's set in stone that I'll be off to Oxford come July. Looking forward to seeing the Mooters again, and now I have peace of mind knowing the room is booked as there seems to be some other event on that weekend transcending on the college/B&B, no idea what it is though.
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby JewelSong » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:09 pm

If you go to this site, you can book rooms at Keble, as well as other universities in Oxford. It is very early; more rooms may become available as time goes on.

http://www.oxfordrooms.co.uk
JewelSong
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:24 pm

Mention TORC when you're booking too, as that may mean that those with single rooms are put close together and we'll disturb less people. :)

Demo, it'd be good to see you. And your wife - she's "curious"? You haven't told her what actually happens, have you?

Leon :thumbsup:

Jewelsong, it'd be lovely to see you too. :)
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Leon K Fox » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:38 pm

heliona wrote:Mention TORC when you're booking too, as that may mean that those with single rooms are put close together and we'll disturb less people. :)

As mentioned on the Facebook page I didn't think of this and wish I had, I never did last year either when I booked (though that was the first time I'd done it, and I did so later on in the year) since it's quite a while away is there any way to do so after the fact? Even ringing them up on the phone would do nicely.

I'll find out for myself tomorrow but hopefully I can.

Also...
Leon :thumbsup:

Thanks! Hope to see you there, maybe try and talk some more this year now I'm not (as much of) a newbie anymore :)
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby Democritus » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:15 am

heliona wrote:Demo, it'd be good to see you. And your wife - she's "curious"? You haven't told her what actually happens, have you?

Hee hee, I have dropped hints, and she has enjoyed meeting JewelSong, Gandalf's Mother, and Berhael in person, so she is curious to know about what goes on (apart from the general Hobbitish behaviour, which she thoroughly approves of).
Democritus
Mariner

Postby heliona » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:35 am

Democritus wrote:
heliona wrote:Demo, it'd be good to see you. And your wife - she's "curious"? You haven't told her what actually happens, have you?

Hee hee, I have dropped hints, and she has enjoyed meeting JewelSong, Gandalf's Mother, and Berhael in person, so she is curious to know about what goes on (apart from the general Hobbitish behaviour, which she thoroughly approves of).

Ah, sneaky. Introduce her to the sensible, nice ones first. ;)

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby The_Angel » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:35 am

Introduce her to the sensible, nice ones first.

Are any of them going?
The_Angel
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:00 pm

The_Angel wrote:
Introduce her to the sensible, nice ones first.

Are any of them going?

:D I meant she'd already met the sensible ones. I doubt any of the people going to the moot will be in that category! :P

heliona

Postby Hobbituk » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:26 pm

I'm sensible!

Wait, no, not sensible. The other one. Starts with "in..."
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Leon K Fox » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:25 pm

While I'm obviously not in a hurry to get these booked yet, out of mere curiosity I decided to go on TheTrainLine.com and see if I'd be able to book the tickets any time soon and surprisingly the on site calander lets me go up to July, yet it always says there's no tickets when I put the dates in :S Hoping it's just a thing of it being too far away but giving an incorrect error message or something because there's no way that would be correct so far away from the date.
Last edited by Leon K Fox on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby ArPharazon » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:17 am

Introduce her to the sensible, nice ones first.Are any of them going?

I shall be there again this year, and there'll be no silliness whatsoever, of any kind, not any! Understood. We'll be sober, serious and contemplative, talk in hushed tones and keep to academic subjects like the colour of Tolkien's socks. The walk will study, at close - indeed miscroscopic - quarters, paving stones on which Tolkien (or CS Lewis - NOT the detective) may have trod.

The quiz will consider the appendices of LOTR in terms of numbers of times certain subjects are mentioned, and interesting facts about the genealogies. For the lighterhearted we might have a Quenya anagrams session.1

OK, everyone on board?

Arphy

Footnotes:
1. If you'll believe that you'll believe anything! 8) :shock: :o :) :wink:
ArPharazon
Mariner

Postby heliona » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:03 am

ArPharazon wrote:Introduce her to the sensible, nice ones first.Are any of them going?

I don't think so. :D

ArPharazon wrote:The quiz will consider the appendices of LOTR in terms of numbers of times certain subjects are mentioned, and interesting facts about the genealogies. For the lighterhearted we might have a Quenya anagrams session.1

My part of the quiz certainly won't be like that! ;) (However, don't go giving Wilko ideas - he's likely to take you up on it!)

heliona

Postby Hobbituk » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:07 am

ArPharazon wrote:Introduce her to the sensible, nice ones first.Are any of them going?

I shall be there again this year, and there'll be no silliness whatsoever, of any kind, not any! Understood. We'll be sober, serious and contemplative

'bout damn time.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Democritus » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:42 pm

Hobbituk wrote:I'm sensible!

Wait, no, not sensible. The other one. Starts with "in..."

insensible?

inebriated?

inchoate?

incapacitated?

Insane?

The first three go without saying, but I would defend your honour on the basis that you are Northern... the last two I would defend on your basis that you are clearly neither... just again... Northern...
Democritus
Mariner

Postby Democritus » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:47 pm

heliona wrote:
Democritus wrote:

Ah, sneaky. Introduce her to the sensible, nice ones first. ;)

Hee hee, a bit difficult to describe JewelSong and sensible in the same sentence but ok... =:)

However they are indeed all nice... as are everyone intending to go... just like puppies.... or ducks walking on the sidewalk... or indeed my brother who is doing his PhD at Oxford and who may also turn up if he does not flee the dreaming spires for the summer.
Democritus
Mariner

Postby Leon K Fox » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:14 pm

Hopefully we'll be able to go in The Eagle and Child this year too, will be my first time in there as we were met by this sign when we went :P (It got quite amused reactions out of people, which was why I took the picture :D )

Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby JewelSong » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:54 pm

Democritus wrote:Hee hee, a bit difficult to describe JewelSong and sensible in the same sentence but ok... =:) .

Pffffffft.... ;P

I have booked everything but my room...and I may just go ahead and book that, too, just to have all my ducks in a row.

Cheapest one-way flight from Boston was through Iceland, so I decided to do a full day layover there and maybe see the Northern Lights. :D
JewelSong
Ranger of the North

Postby JewelSong » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:26 am

And....now my room is also booked. I do think it is odd that the weekend following the moot they have 20+ standard singles available and none for the Moot Weekend. But I wanted an ensuite anyway!

In the "additional information" box I put that I was "with the TORC group." Hopefully, as people book, they will get the idea and put us all together.

The party will be in Dean's room, anyway... :D :D :D
JewelSong
Ranger of the North

Postby ArPharazon » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:17 am

I have booked for Friday and Saturday nights. See you all there.

I mentioned TORC in my booking.
ArPharazon
Mariner

Postby Gungnir » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:30 am

OK, it seems likely that I shall be attending, sans Gunglings but will be booking closer to the date. I'm hoping to meet friends, both old and new!
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Aravar » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:48 am

I'll be there, but I'll book nearer the time. It will be good to see everyone.

There will therefore be at lease one sensible person
Aravar
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Events