Ireland M00t 2016

Have a Tolkien-inspired event you want to let people know about? Have a recap from a recent moot you were at? Come on in and discuss everything about events!

Ireland M00t 2016

Postby AlatarVinyamar » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:13 pm

Just a placeholder for now. Most of the planning will be on the Meta-TORC Facebook page, but just letting people know here.

Likelihood is April 2016, which is auspisious really as it will be the centenary of the Easter Rising, so essentially the birth of the Irish Republic. There will be a long weekend in Bunratty (near Shannon Airport), a Medieval banquet at Bunratty Castle, a day trip to the Burren and Cliffs of Moher, and of course a lot of Guinness! For those staying longer there are options for a trip to Killarney or Dingle to the South, Galway and Donegal to the North and maybe even a day trip to Dublin.

All are welcome!

Updating with dates:
April 2nd Sat 7:30am: Lali arrives
April 2nd Sat 5:15pm: Jude arrives
April 4th Mon 11:45am: Tinwe, Wampus and Carol arrive Dublin
April 6th Wednesday 9:35pm: Nienna arrives

April 8th Fri Jon and Helen arrive
April 9th Sat Possible bus trip to Burren/Cliffs of Moher/Ailwee Caves followed by Bunratty Banquet

April 10th Sun 6:20pm: Nienna leaves
April 11th Mon Jon and Helen leave
April 15th Fri 11:45am: Tinwe, Wampus and Carol leave Dublin
April 16th Sat 9am: Lali leaves
Last edited by AlatarVinyamar on Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
AlatarVinyamar
Ranger of the North

Re: Ireland M00t 2016

Postby AlatarVinyamar » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:36 am

Ok, the main weekend is now confirmed as April 8th-10th 2016. There will be some folk around the week before and after, having travelled from the US and Canada.

We are booking once again in the Bunratty Catle Gardens holiday homes (which are a bit run down but very reasonable, particularly with the current exchange rates). A 3 Bedroom house comprises 1x Double, 1 x Twin and 1x Single, but there's also ample room on couches, floors and in the bath...

http://www.rentacottage.ie/self-caterin ... 29-90.html

We will almost certainly do the Medieval Banquet in Bunratty castle one night, which includes entry into the Folk Park, and depending on interest and numbers we may do a day trip to the Burren and Cliffs of Moher over the weekend.
AlatarVinyamar
Ranger of the North

Postby MithLuin » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:32 am

I am definitely interested, though I don't know my availability for travel yet. Hopefully soon!

For anyone else thinking of traveling from the US, I would recommend checking out WOW air. They are an airline out of Iceland, and they have roundtrip flights to Dublin, Ireland for just under $700 that weekend. You can fly out of Boston or Baltimore on Thursday and return on Monday (or other combinations, for a longer stay). Of course, you will be paying extra for any luggage, as the 'free' carryon must be small and can weigh no more than 11 lbs.

http://wowair.us/flights/book-flight

There are flights between Dublin and Shannon, of course, but also other options for getting there. You can get to Limerick from Dublin by bus or train, and then get a local bus to the actual destination (the train takes you to the bus station in Limerick, so it shouldn't be a complicated transfer).

Bus Info: http://www.buseireann.ie/

(I have never been to Dublin, but got my info here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g2 ... Clare.html
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby heliona » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:34 am

AlatarVinyamar wrote:We are booking once again in the Bunratty Catle Gardens holiday homes (which are a bit run down but very reasonable, particularly with the current exchange rates). A 3 Bedroom house comprises 1x Double, 1 x Twin and 1x Single, but there's also ample room on couches, floors and in the bath...

http://www.rentacottage.ie/self-caterin ... 29-90.html

That website implies that that weekend is unavailable and won't let me attempt to book it, so I think the holiday homes are a bust. However, there are still places in Bunratty on Trivago - they are of course more expensive, but there seems to be free cancellation, should your plans change. I must say, I'm wondering whether something's happening in Bunratty that weekend (aside from a moot!) since a lot of accommodation seems to already be booked.
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby LalaithUrwen » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:41 am

MithLuin wrote:I am definitely interested, though I don't know my availability for travel yet. Hopefully soon!

For anyone else thinking of traveling from the US, I would recommend checking out WOW air. They are an airline out of Iceland, and they have roundtrip flights to Dublin, Ireland for just under $700 that weekend. You can fly out of Boston or Baltimore on Thursday and return on Monday (or other combinations, for a longer stay). Of course, you will be paying extra for any luggage, as the 'free' carryon must be small and can weigh no more than 11 lbs.

http://wowair.us/flights/book-flight

There are flights between Dublin and Shannon, of course, but also other options for getting there. You can get to Limerick from Dublin by bus or train, and then get a local bus to the actual destination (the train takes you to the bus station in Limerick, so it shouldn't be a complicated transfer).

Bus Info: http://www.buseireann.ie/

(I have never been to Dublin, but got my info here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g2 ... Clare.html

I will look into this, MithLuin. Thanks! :) My first plan is to fly into Shannon, as that will be easier for Alatar and myself. Of course, if I can get myself to Shannon, then that's no extra burden on him. It might be kind of fun to see Dublin a bit and the countryside, too, as I travel to Shannon. I'll think about it!

heliona, I wonder!
LalaithUrwen
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:42 am

I've just been looking at flights for us and it seems that it is half the price to fly to Dublin than Shannon, so we might be getting a train or bus. :) I haven't looked into ferries, yet.

Edited to add: So, no, logistically it is a nightmare to get from Dublin to Shannon (and would end up being more expensive anyway). It seems that there are now only three airports in the UK that have flights to Shannon, which means leaving Shannon at 0710 in the morning (there's only one flight). *sigh* Guess it'll have to be that, then!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby RoseMorninStar » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:34 am

We are giving this serious consideration but I haven't booked anything yet. We are still trying to decide how long we are going to be in Ireland/if we want to attempt to rent & drive a vehicle and other things we may want to do/see.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:20 pm

So, we're booked in to the Courtyard B&B, which is very close to the Bunratty Castle Gardens. Booked from Friday 8th April until Monday 11th April.

Edited: And now I've booked a car from Dublin airport for four days. Combined with flights, it was about the same price as merely flights to Shannon, and at least we'll have a car. Not booked the flights yet as Wilko's passport is out-of-date and we need to confirm what it says his name is. ;) (The ticket has to be absolutely correct, otherwise they might not let us on the plane, as Ryanair can be really picky, although legally they should allow us if the name is essentially the same, say missing a middle name. But I'd rather not run the risk!)

heliona

Postby RoseMorninStar » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:52 pm

In the US I don't think we'd get out of the county without a valid passport. In fact, I think we'd have trouble even if it was within 6 months before expiration.

I am thinking of booking a cottage, as it seems as if it will be cheapest. We will have to book for a week. There are 3 bedrooms, however.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:38 am

RoseMorninStar wrote:In the US I don't think we'd get out of the county without a valid passport. In fact, I think we'd have trouble even if it was within 6 months before expiration.

Oh no, we wouldn't either. Wilko needs to update his passport. We haven't been out of the country for a few years - just holidays within the UK. :) And no, your passport has to be valid for more than six months to travel abroad here too (although it might be all right for a quick trip in Europe).

I am thinking of booking a cottage, as it seems as if it will be cheapest. We will have to book for a week. There are 3 bedrooms, however.

Yes, they sleep five (two people in the double, two people in the twin beds in the twin room, and one lonely person in the single. :D ). I suppose if you're very nice and willing, you might be able to find someone else who would share the house with you (and thus the cost). (I mean someone who's going to the moot, not some random stranger/s! :D )

heliona

Postby heliona » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:42 am

Posting to confirm that we now have our flights booked for Friday 8th April through to Monday 11th April. We're definitely coming to Ireland! :)

heliona

Postby AlatarVinyamar » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:27 am

First post updated with dates.
AlatarVinyamar
Ranger of the North

Postby AlatarVinyamar » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:27 am

In case anyone is still reading here!

Some of the local visitor attractions:

Craggaunowen
Admission:
10am – 5.00pm. Daily from Easter Saturday March 26th 2016 – September 2016. Last admission – 4.00pm daily
Tickets:
Adult: €8, Senior: €6.85

King John’s Castle
Admission: Year Round.
April 9.30am. - 6.00p.m.Last admission 5.00pm.
Tickets:
Adult: €8.00, Senior: €6.65

Rock of Cashel
Mid March - Early June Daily 9.00 - 17.30 Last admission at 16.45
Average Length of Visit: 1 - 1.5 hours.
Adult : €7.00 , Group / Senior : €5.00

Ailwee Caves
Cave only €8:50 (Group rate)
Cave and Birds of Prey Exhibit €12

Bunratty Banquet (including access to the Folk Park and Castle)
Group rate: €45
AlatarVinyamar
Ranger of the North

Return to Events