29th-31st July 2016: Durham Moot!

Have a Tolkien-inspired event you want to let people know about? Have a recap from a recent moot you were at? Come on in and discuss everything about events!

29th-31st July 2016: Durham Moot!

Postby heliona » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:26 am

Hello everyone!

So, after a lot of discussion and research, it has been decided that this year, the UK TORC Summer moot will be in the fair northern city of Durham. Durham has plenty to offer, including the majestic Durham Castle and cathedral (which are jointly a world heritage site, and where some of the scenes for Hogwarts in Harry Potter were filmed).

The date has already been decided because it is the one weekend those of us who are organising it are available that doesn't clash with students.

There is accommodation in the university accommodation outside of term-time, but Durham being a city, there is plenty available within the city centre. Check out University Rooms - Durham and This is Durham.

For those coming from a bit further afield, there is a small international airport at Newcastle, which I believe to get from there to Durham requires taking the Metro from the airport into Newcastle, and then a train down to Durham, which is a short train ride away (about 15 minutes). Or else, Durham is on the East Coast main line (for trains) so coming up from the south isn't too bad. Newcastle Airport by train

I hope you can all join us - ask away any questions and let me know if you're able to come! :)

We already have some confirmations!

Definitely attending will be:

• Wilko
  • Heliona
  • Stormeagle
  • Aravar
  • WesternSeas

Possibilites are:
  • Cucalan
  • drauglin
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Re: 29th-31st July 2016: Durham Moot!

Postby heliona » Tue May 10, 2016 9:10 am

Posting after myself to bump this thread. Is anyone interested in coming to this?

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby WesternSeas » Wed May 11, 2016 1:37 pm

I'll be there. :)
WesternSeas
Petitioner to the Council

Postby heliona » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:15 am

Dinner is booked for Friday and Saturday night.

Friday 1930 at The Cellar Door (thank you Sheila for that suggestion). http://www.thecellardoordurham.co.uk
Saturday 1900 at Tia's Mexican/Mediterranean restaurant. http://www.tiasmexican.co.uk

heliona

Return to Events