Group Photo

Have a Tolkien-inspired event you want to let people know about? Have a recap from a recent moot you were at? Come on in and discuss everything about events!

Postby truehobbit » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:54 am

I wasn't there, rwhen, I've never been across the pond. :D

All the folks I recognise have been over here :D ...and the guesses are from pics I've seen.
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby rowanberry » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:32 am

I'm not sure if any of you posted with her, but the hobbit lady in the front row (lower right in the middle closeup) is Katrina, who used to be very active in the Walk to Rivendell, but later disappeared. One more to the Fallen But Not Forgotten thread... :( The hobbit man and children on her right are her RL family.
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby rwhen » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:46 pm

Aw, :( I do remember Katrina and I had seen the pics from the Moot before and thought how cool it was that the whole family dressed up as hobbits. I think you should remember her in the Fallen thread. I wrote up Zatty (Xatia) and Wenchy Witch today. Miss them.

Hobby, well now, that is something we shall have to remedy. (from Braveheart). :D Hey Rowan is talking about a possible trip over, why not come together or do you have no interest in visiting the US? Either way, I will be meeting you in 2010 in either Italy, Finland or Oxford. That just has a lovely ring to it....Italy, Finland or Oxford!!!
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!OldToby

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby RoseMorninStar » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:29 pm

Are you in this group shot Rwhen?

And boy.. does it ever sound as if you are going on a world tour... how wonderful it would be to casually say, "I'll see you either in Italy, Finland or Oxford." all in one year!!!
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:13 am

Her name is Katarina and yes I met her a couple of times. First in Atlanta 02' at Dragon.con and then Toronto at the Grand Gathering of the Fellowship. Her boys were adorable and so well mannered.

Okay so that some of you can put faces with names here goes:

Starting in the back row left to right:
Ted who helped found this site, FrodoTook, Sauron's Nagging Wife, Not sure, Crystal Seed, Don't know the last four.
Next row down: Gimli, Lily Took, Enchie, Rodia, Lidless eye, Estelle, Don't know the next two, Elengil (Jiyadan, Zarah), Earendil84, Matrim, Elenath, Falathiel and Ted Nasmith
Next Row: First 7 dont know, Guruthostirn, Vanaladiel, Elfetawen, and her husband, Bardhwyn, Leoba and Dindraug
Next Row: first 3 don't know then I believe it is Sil, Virginia, don't know the next 2, Tarina, Don't know the next 4, Rholarowyn, Don't know the last 2.
Next Row: Don't know the first 4, Katarina, her boys and her husband, and Harvestar.

This photo was shot the last day of the Grand Gathering in Toronto in December 2003 at the movie theater after the RoTK Premiere. We had all just sat through all three movies in one day!!
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby truehobbit » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:00 am

Ah, I thought it was Ted Nasmith. :D But I wasn't sure, because I didn't think he would be in a TORCers group...? :shock:

rwhen wrote: Hobby, well now, that is something we shall have to remedy. (from Braveheart). :D Hey Rowan is talking about a possible trip over, why not come together or do you have no interest in visiting the US?

I've actually been thinking about visiting this fall, I've just not been able to really decide so I've not talked about it. :)
I got a travel passport, so I'd like to use it - and I've been thinking of visiting US-TORCers for years, so it's time to realise all that wishful thinking. :D
I thought I could time it so that I could make the Chicago moot, and then visit a friend in Oregon. Apart from that, I don't know, though, as I find the idea of travelling alone in the US pretty discouraging.

Also, the other day I read some small-print about visiting the US, and it sounded like one was trying to infiltrate the former Soviet Union or something - I found it very off-putting.

When is Rowan thinking of visiting? :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby rwhen » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:40 am

Thanks Vanadarlin' for the update, I figured YOU who has probably met more TORCers than anyone would certainly know. :D Oh and I got the one right that I THOUGHT was "she who does not want to be named". ;)

Hobby, Oregon? Is that Prim? I have not yet met her, had planned to this month, but didn't get to San Francisco. I live just over the bridge from Portland, Oregon...10 minutes. I THINK she lives about two hours South of Portland. So I would get to see you too, if you would like that. I don't know when Rowan planned to visit the USA...but I think she is reading the thread, so she can answer that. :D

I know that traveling alone sounds daunting, but I went to Europe alone and I did have anxst about it, but ya know, it was the BEST trip I ever had. Also there are TORCers litterally all over, given enough notice, mini moots could be set in most any location you would want to visit. :D

Hiya Rose. I didn't make the BIG one, unfortunately my life fell apart that year and I was off TORC for two full years. It is a regret that I think on always, but hey, there is always time to meet up with people, I am not giving up. :D

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby truehobbit » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:08 am

rwhen wrote:
Hobby, Oregon? Is that Prim? I have not yet met her, had planned to this month, but didn't get to San Francisco. I live just over the bridge from Portland, Oregon...10 minutes. I THINK she lives about two hours South of Portland. So I would get to see you too, if you would like that.

Yes, it is, and I would love that. :D

I know that traveling alone sounds daunting, but I went to Europe alone and I did have anxst about it, but ya know, it was the BEST trip I ever had.

I used to not mind travelling alone when I was younger (though, even then I only went to places that felt comparatively safe and familiar, i.e. cities in neighbouring countries), but now when I think of it, I'm like 'meh'.
Did you travel around a lot when you visited Europe?

Also there are TORCers litterally all over, given enough notice, mini moots could be set in most any location you would want to visit. :D

I'm surprised myself how shy I am to ask that of people. :oops: Also, I have no clue what location I want to visit. I don't really mind where I'm going, I'd mainly like to meet some TORCers, but, with distances being as they are, I don't think I could make more than two or three stops.
I had thought of adding New York to the list, but again started having doubts if it wasn't more stress than fun to visit that on your own. Did you happen to try?

ETA: rwhen, aren't you going to the Chicago moot anyway?
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:41 am

Well if you are coming to Oregon then I think we need to set up a moot so that more of us can come visit with you hon. I am north of Rwhen by about what..... 4 hours but would be willing to see if I can't just drop down that way to meet you. Though I would need enough notice to be able to make it. I would love to meet you hon!! I think Rwhen would love to show me her area too. :D
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby rwhen » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:03 am

Edited: cross posted with Vanadarlin'. For sure, you need to come for a visit anyway and you know it. That way I can take you and Guru to Multnomah falls and up the gorge and out to supper in Portland. When you are back from the honeymoon, we will make some plans. :hug: 143

Great Hobby. :D If/when you do come to the pacific northwest, if you are interested, we could put together a mini moot for you here. We have a few TORCers....Vana and Guru, Raven, Calma, Ugluk, Idril, Evenstar lives in the same city as I do and also maybe by that time Anshi will be old enough to moot...she is also in Washington State. And of coure, the reason for coming this way, Prim. So when you know we will pull it together for you, that way you don't have to ask. Had you thought of a time frame?

On asking. I suppose it depends on whom you would like to meet. In the great lakes area we have MANY TORCers...I am talking lots. So that might be a thought. Most TORCers I have met from the States would welcome with open arms someone who made the effort to visit here from EU. And, if there is someway I can help to pave the way to make it smoother, I would be glad to offer to help. You have to know that when you are here in the pacific northwest, you will not have to worry for anything on transportation, where to stay and hey, I AM a great cook. :D:D

My trip in EU....I was in my mid 30's and I started in Athens, then Rome, then Paris, then Amsterdam, then London. I was alone, but did have some contacts in Athens and Amsterdam. For any length of time only Athens, which I was there for 4 months, the other places were two day stops only to hit the high points. Have you been to these places? But I consider it the trip of my life....SO FAR. The one coming is pretty big too. ;)

I have been to NY many times, I used to live in New England for ten years and had the opportunity to go when I was married. Alone, I don't know that I would have tried that. Just sayin'. We do have Gamgee Wench who lives in NY state and also Mungo, tho he is traveling at the time. Also Erinhue, but I don't think he has ever been to a moot or met a TORCer that I know of. DC might be a great place to visit and we have several who are close to there and one who lives there. Mith is close.

I can't go to Chicago unfortunately. Just too many plans for this year already. I have Vana and Guru's wedding next weekend, which I will get to meet some TORCers that I haven't yet met there. Then San Francisco early next year or maybe late this year. I have Drieske (a TORCer) from Holland coming summer of next year to visit here, do you remember her? She will be here two weeks in July 09 and we will also travel to SF together. If that works, the more the merrier. :D:D:D AND you would get to see SF and meet up with SF TORCers.

I THINK I answered all your questions. But if not, ask away. Also you can always reach me at my email, I think you still have it. jaycee_davis AT msn DOT com / we can arrange a time to speak on MSN if you like. I am hardly there, but would make an exception for you, Hobby. :D:D:D

PS took me almost two hours to write this darned thing with work too. ;) Let us see if it will post. *pushes button softly*

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby rowanberry » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:42 am

Addition to Vana's account: The couple in front of Enchie and Rodia (woman with long brown hair, glasses, and blue top, and the bearded man on her right) are MariaHobbit - another TORC dropout - and her husband. I believe the grey-haired woman on Maria's left is her mother, who posted here for a while as Ninanina, and the two young persons between her husband and Guru might be her children.

I haven't made any plans for a trip across the Atlantic yet... But, I will arrange it at some point (it's on my bucket list :D ). All I'd need is enough time and money, the former being the bigger issue at the moment.
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby truehobbit » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:12 pm

rwhen, wow, thanks, that's really helpful and encouraging! :D :hug:
I'll certainly e-mail you soon to reply in more detail, so we don't have to keep derailing this thread. ;) :D

As for time-frame, I was thinking of the latter half of October, to include the Chicago moot, so that would nicely combine meeting people and seeing a hopefully interesting place.

The places in Europe you name I've been to, apart from Athens. Athens is a place I'd be a bit scared to go to on my own, very big, very different from here in terms of language and culture...four months, you probably studied there?

I know a TORCer in New York that I'd love to meet (Magpie), but although I do trust she'd like to meet up, too, I'm pretty sure she'll be busy working, so I'd be lucky if she can get away for a meal or so, but I would still expect to be on my own most of the time. :)

Vana, sure I would like to meet you - thanks! :D :hug: Wow, I didn't know there were so many TORCers in that area. :)
And I wasn't aware your wedding was next weekend already - woohoo! :happydance:

I feel a lot better about the idea of going to the US already! :D
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby rwhen » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:22 pm

Sure, if you are going to Chicago, you will meet plenty of Mooters and not just from here ;). Whenever you are stateside, we will make it happen, no worries. That might be the perfect time to also put together a San Francisco trip. I could drive us there after the pacific northwest and I think you would love Northern California. Some memory to take back as well.

I was not studying in Athens, unless you call getting to know Oozo REALLY well, study. :P I had a friend from the States who had moved there, so we hung out for a bit then after I got enough of the language down I went off on my own. I had met enough Greeks to get to know some. WAY fun.

MagpieJen is in NY? I didn't know that. She hasn't been about in a long time.

Glad you are a bit eased about the trip. No matter what you get over the big pond, we are pretty much a congenial lot. You know Maeglin from here? I am sure you remember him. I recall when he first came to the US to meet Amarie, his first comment was he had no idea that Americans were so nice. ;) I was wondering, what in the heck did he think we were going to do to him. :D:D:D

Have a great weekend!! and we will get together on MSN soon. :hug:

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby truehobbit » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:38 pm

rwhen wrote: Whenever you are stateside, we will make it happen, no worries. That might be the perfect time to also put together a San Francisco trip. I could drive us there after the pacific northwest and I think you would love Northern California. Some memory to take back as well.

That would be awesome! :shock: :D
I thought you'd have to fly to get to California, it looked a very long way away on the map.

I was not studying in Athens, unless you call getting to know Oozo REALLY well, study. :P

LOLOL - of sorts, yes. :P
Sounds like you had a great time. :D

MagpieJen is in NY? I didn't know that. She hasn't been about in a long time.

Not MagpieJen, just Magpie. :) She used to post in Books and occasionally in Manwe.

Have a great weekend!! and we will get together on MSN soon. :hug:

Thanks, you too - I'll e-mail you! :hug:
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby FrodoTook » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:41 pm

Thank you so very much RoseMorninStar for sharing that cherished photo with all of us again. As I said earlier in this thread...I had it saved to my previous PC and lost it. It is wonderful for me to see everyone's faces again. I had such a great time in Toronto meeting everyone I did. It remains such a very cherished memory...one of the best times of my life.

The zoom ins ( left, middle and right ) are very cool. I have saved them all.

I sincerely Thank You so very much.

Waves at everyone. I loved meeting all of you and still wish I had met more of you and had spent more time with all of you.

Way cool. 8)

I wish you had been there Jules. You would have had a glorious time seeing PJ and Enty and your truely. We ( as I have told you before ) all wished you were there with us. I remember PJ, Enty and I looking at each other and saying "Rwhen should be here with us"...They will tell you so.

We would have hugged you so tightly. :grouphug:
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby FrodoTook » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:19 pm

Vana said...

I have a copy of that picture but I don't know how to link it here.

FT if you wish to email me I can send you the picture over email.

Hey Vana...my great friend.

Thank you so much.

I came upon your offer after RMS shared the new links but I do want to say that it is way cool of you ( to me ) for you to share the pic with me again. You have always been so very kind to me. I have not forgotten your kind help in Toronto when I first met you nor have I forgotten your help in The Eldars thread before then. A very special friend you remain to me.

Sincerely
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:27 pm

Thank you FT my dear friend!!

How are the grand babies doing?? I know they must be getting big. So are you still driving truck? I know you aren't doing the long haul anymore.

I will HUG Rwhen for you next week if you like?? We have gotten to be great friends and she is coming to my wedding on the 23rd. Yes I am marrying that handsome man I was with in Toronto!! :D
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby MithLuin » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:57 pm

Congrats on your wedding, Vana! I hope everything goes beautifully that day, and I eagerly await pictures :)

MagpieJen is in Canada, I think...or at least I was under the impression that she was near Toronto. But the last time I saw her here was several years ago, so I may be mistaken.
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby FrodoTook » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:52 pm

I still do not understand why the link in the initial post of this thread leads us to where it goes.

Would someone please explain why?

It was just a picture of friends who love Middle-Earth.

Many innocent ( in my opinion ) links lead to this site and I don't like it.

Seriously...please help me understand....cause I definitely don't.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:21 am

FT, all links with 'Tolkien Online' in them now go to the Tolkien Estate's website. A while back they asked Jonathan to stop using the name and that's why we went back to being called The One Ring. The Tolkien Estate got the old name and so links such as the one in the first post are simply out-of-date.

That's it, no big conspiracy :)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby FrodoTook » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:35 am

Thanks Hobbituk, for responding.

Good to post with you again. :)

It has been a while.

If possible, I would like to see a new link which takes us to the picture... It really would bring back very fond memories. Could you please contact Ted to hopefully make it happen. I would sincerely appreciate it...as I think some others would as well.

Thanks in advance.

FT
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby rwhen » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:22 pm

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby FrodoTook » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:45 pm

Yes they are Jules.

I once had this precious moment in time saved on a previous PC of mine.

Said PC crashed and I was much abashed.

Thank you so much my dear friend for bringing this memory alive again.

Looking at the beautiful smile on each and every face is something that time will never erase.

Once again...thank you so much.

Many :rose: s

I met many of these people and had the joy of talking to them. I wish I had met more.

All of them are truely beautiful to me. I just wish there had been more time.

The time still remains so special to me.

I so wish you had been there Jules.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby rwhen » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:14 pm

And I too wish that. I recall at the time, there was no way I could make it, out of work, a home and car. But all things in their time, I always say. The photos are way fun for me to look at too and see who I can name, though I haven't met that many TORCers. I know many from previous pictures and such.

I had hoped that for TORC's ten year anniversary something could have been pulled together, but that has come and gone. Who knows what the future has in store for us.

I am thrilled that you now have the pics again. :hug:

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Wisteria1 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:18 pm

Many thanks, rwhen, for reposting the links. And a thank you, too, for the explanation as to why the initial post's link goes...elsewhere (yes, by the way, this is the Original Wisteria posting. I've forgotten my password and apparently none of my current emails were linked to that profile. But where there's a will, there's a way! I made me a new one!)
Wisteria1
Petitioner to the Council

Previous

Return to Events