Colorado Moot anyone?

Have a Tolkien-inspired event you want to let people know about? Have a recap from a recent moot you were at? Come on in and discuss everything about events!

Colorado Moot anyone?

Postby Lithtaur16 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:29 pm

Anyone want to do some hiking, rafting or something followed by a movie marathon? :) Or do you have some other fun ideas for a meeting? I haven't had the opportunity to go to one of these moots before, let alone plan one, but I've heard there's a lot of TORCers in this part of the US and I think it would be great to meet some of you this summer!

I was thinking maybe sometime between June 12 and June 29 or between Sept 14 and Sept 28. Those are school holidays for me at least and we should be able to find good weather days.
If those dates don't work, then I can make almost any other weekend work as long as we get it sorted a couple of weeks ahead of time. :)
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby the_kams » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:42 pm

Are you thinking the north part of CO (Boulder) or Denver or more to the south (Colorado Springs/Pueblo)?
the_kams
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Lithtaur16 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:23 pm

Thank you for answering, the_kams. :) And welcome to TORC since I don't think we've met before!

I'm in the Denver area right now but I was thinking about Rocky Mountain National Park in northern CO if it turned out anyone wanted to go out hiking. It was very pretty up there the last time I went. So closer to Boulder, I guess.

I'm open to suggestions though. :)
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:49 am

Hey Lith.

I know that at one point we were planning a SUPERMOOT (there should be a thread in this forum on it) and there was quite a bit of planning, but it never seemed to gel.

If this were to happen, I would be interested in checking that out. Other than that, I don't think I am going to be in your area anytime soon. But I think it would be fun. I believe GoodSam and Drogo and InnyE live in your neck of the woods.

Hope you get some takers. Also, would you be coming to the West coast anytime at all?
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!OldToby

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Lithtaur16 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:29 pm

Hi Rwhen! :)

:) I definitely hope I get a chance to come out there for a weekend or something before I'm done with school. There's a lot of other places I'd like to go though and I've kind of limited on time and money. Like a lot of people, I know. I think I would need a week of freedom for that.

I looked at that thread but it seemed so huge. Arranging hotels and everything. I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of a mini-moot. Something fun we can get to and do in a day and all get home at a relatively decent hour that night.
I'm remembering the trips to NYC my Maryland school made a couple times a year. We started at like 6am and got there around 11am. Have fun until around 6-7pm and left for home.

If I do get folks who are interested, we can always pick something to do that's more central to everyone.
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby legolas the elf » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:53 pm

I'm gonna be in Big Piney, Wyoming from May 10 to August 15. I'm definitely down for some hiking....and backpacking! Count me in. :wink:
legolas the elf
Mariner

Postby the_kams » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:24 pm

Big Piney is about 450 miles north and west of Boulder (!)

Are you sure you would travel that far for a m00t? Maybe I've confused it with some other Big Piney, WY.....
the_kams
Citizen of Imladris

Postby legolas the elf » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:09 pm

No, that's probably it. I didn't realize it was that far. Hmm.....
legolas the elf
Mariner

Postby Gamgee Wench » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:20 pm

I mini-mooted last summer in Colorado with Durin VIII, Goodsam and their families. We meet near Boulder and then Durin's wonderful wife took us to one of her favorite spots in Rocky Mountain National Park and we had a blast visiting and eating (seems you can't moot without food) and climbing on rocks. :) I would love to come again and moot but must save money this year.

Lego! We were out in western Wyoming for almost two weeks last summer, Yellowstone and the Tetons. Beautiful country out there, I can't say enough good things about it.

We didn't pass through Big Piney, but we did wander on horseback for a whole day in the Bridger Teton forest near Alpine. Probably the biggest mistake I made the whole trip, though it was beautiful. I learned the hard way that even if you rode horses a lot as a kid, if you haven't been on a horse in 20 years, you should NOT go for a full day ride into the back country. It was just my family and a guide, and we didn't see another human the whole day. The views were amazing. However, I was in shear agony by the end of the trip, and couldn't even appreciate the beauty of those mountians at the end. All I wanted to do was get off the horse. :roll: Silly woman that I am. I was scolded by anybody I know that rides after that, you don't ride that long without riding regularly. A most humbling experience.
Anyway....I hope you have a great time out there. I can't wait to go back to that area of the country, I just love it.
Gamgee Wench
Mariner

Postby legolas the elf » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:19 pm

GW, that sounds awesome! Except for the discomfort you went through....ouch! Sounds rough.

But I love the fact you didn't see anyone for a whole day. Did you see any bears??

I can't wait. I'm basically gonna be living in Bridger-Teton National Forest for 3 months...I suppose I'll get used to it out there. I can only imagine.... :) :) :) :happydance:
legolas the elf
Mariner

Postby Gamgee Wench » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:12 am

3 months! :shock: Wow....that is truly awesome. I would feel like I died and went to heaven. Does this have to do with your forestry degree? We saw black bear, but no grizzly. Lots of mule dear and elk.

Such a beautiful area of the country. My husband and I would love to go back out (without the kids) and just explore for weeks. I think we overdosed the kids on scenery. But I love areas with few humans and high mountains and lots of trees. That area has all that. And...for my geology fix, Yellowstone is up the road. I could spend my life in Yellowstone. If you can head north to that area, do so. And I think the Chief Joseph Highway is one of the most beautiful drives on earth. Dead Indian point literally took my breath away....even my kids were impressed. Just amazing out there. (can you tell I love the west?)

Sorry for hijacking the thread. :oops:
Gamgee Wench
Mariner

Postby InnocentEvil » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:28 am

Look.. GW.. Osgilliating! :hug: I missed the minimoot last year but I'd be up for something this summer.

My only big Summer plans actually occur in the Spring; I'll be available most weekends. I think the Not-so-Lil-Anymore Evils could get into some scenic hiking, etc.

My suggestion is to poke DurinVII, GoodSam, I think Dubulatuk lives here and... uh... I'll have to think about it. OH! Maybe Ethel, though she doesn't post much outside of Manwe anymore.
Hey, look who I found lurking. She sure has kept up her figure!

InnocentEvil at theonering dot com

"The magician stood up straight as a pillar, stretched out his arms in both directions, looked at the ceiling and said the first few words of the Nunc Dimmittis" -- T. H. White, The Once and Future King
InnocentEvil
Ringbearer

Postby Lithtaur16 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:44 pm

:oops: Sorry, classes and work have kept me gone for a while.

Awesome! Thanks for answering Legolas, GW and InnocentEvil! :)
I did say we could try finding something pretty central to everyone so maybe we can work something out.

I will see if I can PM the others. At least give a heads up in threads they pop into anyway since the PMs don't always seem to get through. Probably something to do with my on and off again connection. sigh
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Return to Events