If Lewis Carroll Had Written 'The Lord of the Rings'

Come on over to Tom's House for the lighter side of Tolkien Fandom. Remember Tom's House is both powerful and innocent, so keep it clean and nice.

If Lewis Carroll Had Written 'The Lord of the Rings'

Postby Falkeep » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:22 am

The Council and the Ranger

The time has come,” the Council said,
To talk of many things:
Of rings – and wraiths – and Shadowfax –
Of broken swords – and kings –
And why Mount Doom is boiling hot –
And whether Balrogs have wings.
Falkeep
Shield Bearer

Postby HirilElfwraith » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:23 pm

Or it would be like this. ;)

A swarm of orcs flew towards the Fellowship, of such kinds and descriptions that were I to describe even a few your parents would not let you read this book. Then, suddenly, one could see a large shadow, coming up through the orcs. And if you looked closely enough you could even see that the orcs themselves were a little frightened. Boromir blew his horn loud and true until the orcs stopped in their place and the Fellowship saw that even the large shadow hesitated.

"All of you must get over the bridge! Quickly, now", commanded Gandalf, lifting himself a little higher. "You must run, for only I can fight an enemy of this power!" Aragorn and Boromir didn't respond quite at first, still stubbornly standing next to Gandalf. The small Hobbits gathered in the doorway at the other end of the hallway to see what would happen next and what Gandalf would do.

The Balrog put one foot on the bridge while Gandalf stood in the centre, his staff helping him to keep his balance. In his hand the magic sword Glamdring glowed brightly. Then suddenly the Balrog stopped. All of the sudden the shadow unfolded even larger. Have you ever seen how an umbrella pops open on a rainy day? It was like this now, and the Balrog's shadow moved out from its sides and fell upon the walls. And there it was, larger than anything any of them had ever seen before. In it's hand it held a fiery whip, which it swung around menacingly while it looked at Gandalf.

"I will not let you pass!", Gandalf shouted. The orcs had stopped moving, watching what their massive leader's next move would be. Gandalf spoke again. "I will not let you pass! I am the holder of the knowledge of the Secret Fire, wielder of the magical fire of Anor. Your weapons cannot hurt me, monster of Udun. Go back from where you came, but you will not pass me here!"
HirilElfwraith
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:11 pm

"Gandalf, please, sir," said Frodo, "would you tell me please, which way I ought to go from here?"

"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said Gandalf.

Frodo pondered this for a moment. "If you please, sir," he replied, "I would like, very much, to go to Mordor, so that I might drop this deceptively pretty ring into the cracks of Mount Doom."

"In that direction," said Gandalf, waving his staff, "are the Mines of Moria. In that," he waved his staff in another direction, "is the Pass of Isengard. Take either way you like. The dwarves, or Saruman. They're all mad."

"But I don't want to go near mad people," Frodo remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said Gandalf. "We're all mad, here. I'm mad, you're mad, Aragorn is mad, Legolas is mad. Everyone on this quest is mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" asked Frodo.

"You must be," said Gandalf, "or you wouldn't have come here."
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

Postby Goldberry88 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:22 am

The stuff you guys have come up with is hilarious!! I'm not sure which would have worked better: C.S Lewis' or Lewis Carroll's version!! :|

Personally I still think Tolkien's version is the best. :D
Goldberry88
Citizen of Imladris

Re: If Lewis Carroll Had Written 'The Lord of the Rings'

Postby Melwa » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:40 pm

Ha, ha, ha, ha! That's hilarious!

C.S. Lewis? Where's that one discussed?
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Return to The Lighter Side: Tom's House