Fun Facts About Tolkien

Come on over to Tom's House for the lighter side of Tolkien Fandom. Remember Tom's House is both powerful and innocent, so keep it clean and nice.

Fun Facts About Tolkien

Postby Naeth Dúlinn » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:11 pm

So I just finished writing a profile of Tolkien in my college english class, and after extensive studying, i'm filled with fun facts. I just wanted to see if anyone else had any?

One of my favorite fun facts I found out is that the hobbit race was completely improvised one late night while Tolkien was grading tests. He was up late, and a student left an entire page of their answer document blank, so Tolkien, being in a tired stupor, writes "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.", not knowing what a Hobbit was, or why it lived in the ground. So he just added it to his stories.

Another one is, Tolkien was good friends with C.S. Lewis.
Naeth Dúlinn
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Fun Facts About Tolkien

Postby Billobob » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:08 am

One fun fact about Tolkien is that on his tombstone it describes himself as Beren and his wife as Luthien. Here's a link to it: http://mentalfloss.com/article/59736/10-things-you-might-not-know-about-jrr-tolkien. Actually it's a link to even mores cool facts about Tolkien.
Billobob
Rider of the Mark

Postby Billobob » Fri May 29, 2015 9:17 am

Billobob
Rider of the Mark

Postby Chariot Rider » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:00 pm

Fun fact. Every year for Christmas he would write a letter to his children from Father Christmas. He would describe the events of the year from the perspective of Father Christmas and even draw illustrations to go with his stories. His stories usualy revolved around the actions of a clumsy polar bear assistant. He archived these letters and after his death they were compiled into a book. This book was called "Fhe Father Christmas Letters".
Chariot Rider
Shield Bearer

Postby Billobob » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:02 pm

Chariot Rider wrote:Fun fact. Every year for Christmas he would write a letter to his children from Father Christmas. He would describe the events of the year from the perspective of Father Christmas and even draw illustrations to go with his stories. His stories usualy revolved around the actions of a clumsy polar bear assistant. He archived these letters and after his death they were compiled into a book. This book was called "Fhe Father Christmas Letters".

Wow that's really cool.
Billobob
Rider of the Mark

Postby Gorthaur the Cruel » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:57 am

Fun fact: Tolkien sold the film rights to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings in 1969 for £10,000 so it's his own fault.
Gorthaur the Cruel
Shield Bearer

Postby Billobob » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:09 pm

Here are some more facts about Tolkien:
1.Aged 16, he met his future wife Edith. But, his guardian Father Francis Morgan prohibited Tolkien seeing her until Tolkien came of age, aged 21.
2.Tolkien said his character of Sam Gamgee was based on the ordinary solidiers who he commanded and who faced so much hardship without complaint.
3.One time agents from Nazi Germany wanted to translate the Hobbit into German, they sent a letter asking to prove he was 'Aryan'. Tolkien gave (as you can imagine) a scathing reply, saying amongst other thing that he wished he had Jewish ancestors.
Billobob
Rider of the Mark

Return to The Lighter Side: Tom's House