explain your username.....

Come on over to Tom's House for the lighter side of Tolkien Fandom. Remember Tom's House is both powerful and innocent, so keep it clean and nice.

Postby Hiril Elfwraith » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:18 pm

Rest assured, Scribbles, you are never boring.
Hiril Elfwraith
Rider of the Mark

Postby Lebasi » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:40 am

Maybe Ellehcim wanted to avoid giving out her real name. And I don't think your name's boring.
Lebasi
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:38 pm

Hiril Elfwraith wrote:Rest assured, Scribbles, you are never boring.

No? Aw, thanks you two . . . :)

Hmmmmm, maybe it's because I used to spend my days terrorizing noobies and waving my broadsword around a lot and just causing general mischief and mayhem . . . ah, the good old days . . . =:)

Nowadays, it seems I can only get away with that act in the Pony . . . :twisted:

:D:D:D
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby Smeagolofthestoors » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:20 pm

I chose mine based on my favorite character in Tolkien's work. But the "of the Stoors" part was just becouse back in '02 when I stumbled on this site durring computer lab (I was supposed to be working), I assumed that there must have already have been a just plain "Smeagol".
Smeagolofthestoors
Shield Bearer

Location: In exile after the last hostile take over in my own little world.

Postby earendil81 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:01 am

The person who tries to claim that Scribbles is boring does not know her :lol:. I remember almost drowning in my tea or coffee (when I used to drink that awfully bitter beverage :P) because I was laughing so hard at something she'd done or written.

I came back here to see if I had told the origins of my name already; and I had. But back then my full name in barrowdowns generator revealed that According to the Red Book of Westmarch I was a confused ringwraith. Now that I am a married woman and I added my husband's name to mine, I am a Ring-wearing Elf :lol: :lol:... or happy elf if I only use his name :D :D.

Life turned out for the best right :lol: :lol: ;) :P :P :P
ImageNever forgetting those who have passed into the West :rose:

Sharing a story with Rholarowyn: Once There Were Words

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party
Fan of Redemption: the Reckoning

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.

It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby *Alassë* » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:00 pm

Well, Alassë means 'joy' in Quenya (according to some online dictionary) which is the meaning of my real name :)
*Alassë*
Shield Bearer

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:47 pm

I must have been absent when this thread started up.

Let's see... Quimrill was an inspiration that came from The Speaker For The Dead written by Orson Scott Card in the Ender's Game Series. Usually I just go by Quill because I love to write so much. Renctar is a complete fabrication and I doubt means anything, I just wanted to be as original as it was possible to be when the first part was so unoriginal. :p not that there is anything wrong showing support for our favorite literary characters.
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Location: A little patch of paradise I like to call... the backside of nowhere

Postby Shadowfaex » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:26 am

Shadowfaex, or Sceadufæx is the name of Shadowfax, the horse of Gandalf, in the Rohirric tongue.
Shadowfaex
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Registered User » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:27 pm

:twisted: The one and only Registered User!!!!
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Almesiva Moonshadow » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:41 am

Almesiva is my second name (surname),and I am very proud of it,
because it means "the glorious" on my mothertongue,
and since I simply adore the moon,I named myself Moonshadow.

It is simple as that!!! :love:

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:
Almesiva Moonshadow
Citizen of Imladris

Postby PatriotBlade » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:13 am

Can't believe I've never posted this!

Well, some of you know I write a lot. My old stand-by screen name (before most of you probably knew me) was CheshireKat.

A couple years before I came here though, I started a story inspired by the movie, "The Patriot", about a knife called Patriot (the word is imbeded in the blade) that has been handed down through many generations from the Revolutionary War to the present. I tiled the story "Patriot's Blade" and liked the ring of it so much I made it my new screen name, hence PatriotBlade.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Arwenslove » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:04 am

well... this was my first username thingy.... I wanted something that related to Aragorn...this was all I could come up with at the time. I regret it now cause everyone thinks I'm a guy...and other reasons :rofl: and I can't change it. It evolved several times on other websites and is now Tirnel, stargazer. Cause I like to look at the stars.
Arwenslove
Shield Bearer

Postby Nimhiril » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:51 pm

Well, my middle name is Katrina, which means pure. I really like elves and have always been impressed with the way Tolkien developed the language, so I wanted something elvish. Nim in elvish (not sure if it's Sindar or Quenya) for white, which is the closest I could find for pure. And Hiril means lady. So, "Nimhiril" means White Lady. And there you have it. :)

Nim
Nimhiril
Ranger of the North

Postby Irensaga15 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:53 pm

Well, mine was from a random section in my tolkien companion, I just opened it up, and found some cool names, and found Irensaga, which sounded cool, and is a "Jagged peak in the northern white mountains" near dunharrow, and it sounded so cool, and unique, and so, yeah, lol, very exciting!
Irensaga15

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:47 am

I was sure that I had come in here and told the story of my name! :shock: But apparently I had not.

So...... my name was my birth name put into the Barrowdowns.com translator in its early days. It came up with several names for me of the many peoples of Middle Earth. I love the elves and this is the name it gave me for my full maiden name, for an elf.

I started using it after having joined TORC with a different username. I chose to use this one primarily and keep the other for RPing. I now have many RP names but this one is my legal name now even.

In early 2003 I got divorced and had a chance to change my name. I have always hated my real name because my parents wanted a boy and never let me forget it. So when I was given the opportunity to change it for FREE, I jumped at it. First off I had no friends away from the boards and having been to several moots knew that we all know each other by our online names. So I changed it to the name you all would know me by anyways!!

I get compliments all the time on my name. They want to know what nationality it is or if my parents were real Tolkien fans. I get to say "Nope I named myself because I love the works of Tolkien and had the chance to do what so many would love to but never get to do!"

So Vanaladiel was a made up name that I used online that now is my legal name and I love it!!!!
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby oldtoby » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:45 pm

I have always hated my real name because my parents wanted a boy and never let me forget it.

Coulda been worse, you coulda been a boy named Sue. :wink:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby LalaithUrwen » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:45 pm

Vana, I remember that. :) I'm glad for your new life.

LalaithUrwen isn't that hard to figure out. ;) I would've just gone with Lalaith, but it was already taken. (I was one of the first Lalaith's, though!) So I tagged on Lalaith's real name, Urwen. I loved the idea that the name meant "laughter." I love to laugh.
LalaithUrwen
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:28 pm

Mine is my name in the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism), and I use it on a few different boards; it's the third board name I've ever used (the only one here) and it would have been the only one if I'd thought to use it sooner. It does have a bit of resonance in Tolkien terms, which makes it sort of appropriate here. "Morwen" is an actual Welsh name, in fact, and "Morwenna" is the Cornish variant; there's even a saint by that name, IIRC.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby LalaithUrwen » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:26 pm

Well, Morwen was Lalaith's mom. :)

So hi, Mom (sort of)! :hihi:
LalaithUrwen
Ranger of the North

Postby Timothy620 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:03 pm

I chose "The Lost Palantíri," because I think that all people are important including myself but most people don't really know how important each of us are until we are "lost" (as in dead).
Timothy620

Postby Morwenna » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:16 am

LalaithUrwen wrote:Well, Morwen was Lalaith's mom. :)

So hi, Mom (sort of)! :hihi:

Hi, kiddo! :hihi: Been taking good care of yourself? :wink:
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby LalaithUrwen » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:35 am

I'm doing my best to avoid any plague or contagion from Angband (or elsewhere).

:D

Timothy620, is this another username, then?
LalaithUrwen
Ranger of the North

Postby Bardhwyn » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:14 pm

I, too, am surprised I never posted here before!

My user name is derived from a character I created for a short story I wrote months before I even knew TORC existed; a story about a young woman from Dale who, much to her displeasure, was sent off to be 'finished' by the Silvan elves of the Greenwood - she'd just been betrothed to the Prince of Dale and she was a little too tomboyish for the Court's liking. Needless to say, she got into a spot of trouble.

And has been ever since. ;)

When I met TORC and saw the incredible world of creativity that existed in the RP forums I introduced Bardhwyn of Dale, some years after, (and I am forever indebted to the Merry Bowmen) and hers was, and still is, an adventure in the making. I believe my character bio is a link in my signature.

:) I also have numerous ID's for other RP characters, too.
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby happy_ringwraith » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:18 am

I got happy_ringwraith from a name generator, but I do love the imagine of a ringwraith bouncing happily along on his horse. Like 'Death' from Family Guy without the sarcastic tone.
happy_ringwraith
Rider of the Mark

Postby Ríwen » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:07 am

mine is actually quite straightforward. I'm a girl and my real name means 'crown'...hence Ríwen (crowned maiden)
Ríwen
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Klonkku » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:02 pm

Mine is easy: Klonkku is Gollum in finnish. There it is. Boring and with no bells and whistles what-so-ever. :)

Funnily enough I, too, was sure that I had posted in this thread before. :D

I remember some of these oldies, though... And some of them haven't logged in since ´02-04. :(
Panic-free for 10 years and counting!
Klonkku
Ringbearer

Erucolindon Atarnarmo

Postby Erucolindon Atarnarmo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:50 pm

Well, my name probably reveals my ignorance of the intricacies of Elvish, but Erucolindon is the Elvish for my name, Christopher, and Atarnarmo, which is probably grammatically incorrect, should mean father of wolves, mainly because I love wolves. I have already been nicknamed Atar. I of. Course just had to create my name without realizing first how to use character map to get accents in there, so now I really look ignorant. Alas.
Erucolindon Atarnarmo
Citizen of Imladris

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:08 pm

oh.. not to worry Atar.. there is room on this message board for those who are very much into languages and the particulars of Elvish language.. and also room for the rest of us who just really enjoy all things Tolkien! ;) :thumbsup:
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Erucolindon Atarnarmo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:16 pm

That is good news. If I had the time, I would like to learn more about Elvish, for Philological reasons, but also because I absolutely love Tolkien's works. Unfortunately, we college students lack two things generally - Time and Money. Nevertheless, I still have found the time to read his books at least twice since I started, along with the Silmarillian and the Book of Lost Tales, and The Children of Hurin, or Narn Chi i Hurin, as I believe it is called. Maybe I'll just absorb elvish by osmosis... (insert chuckle here). At any rate, thanks for the kind words. It really makes a new user feel welcome on these ancient and hallowed boards.
Erucolindon Atarnarmo
Citizen of Imladris

Postby fpshimmer » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm

*venturing into this thread out of curiosity*

How fun! I read a couple of pages, and it was neat seeing how other people came up with their screen names on the mb. 8)

Mine is fpshimmer, or Fairy Princess Shimmer. She is a character I created when I was 17 and still had a great imagination. ;) Shimmer is a small redheaded fae with emeral green eyes (I know, real original, right? :roll:), and bright blue butterfly wings. She is partial to wearing dark green to match her eyes, and sometimes light pink - just because. :)

I had another screen name back in the day - Turralye - and that's actually my favorite of my created characters. There are two different versions of Turralye, depending on the story. One was a Queen of the Leopards, in which she was an exotic Amazonian type woman with caramel skin and dark hair/eyes. The other was a unicorn, and she is my only named tattoo. (no, really, I named my first tattoo Turralye :P).

In case you can't tell, I used to want to write fantasy stories/fairy tales. :D
fpshimmer
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to The Lighter Side: Tom's House