explain your username.....

Come on over to Tom's House for the lighter side of Tolkien Fandom. Remember Tom's House is both powerful and innocent, so keep it clean and nice.

Postby Gladhaniel » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:01 pm

My name comes from Sindarin but isn't necessarily correct, grammatically speaking. It comes from gladh laugh and -iel (daughter) of, linked together by "an" so it sounds better. :P
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby rwhen » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:55 am

Daughter of laughter then? I think it is lovely.

Welcome to TORC Gladhaniel!! Feel free to drop into the HELLLLO thread in the "Talk" forum where we can welcome you properly and get to know a bit about you as you get to know us.

Cheers,
rwhen

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Gladhaniel » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:15 pm

Thank you very much, rwhen! :D I'm glad you like my username. :) I'm sorry for my ignorance, but where is that "Talk" thread you are referring to? :)

Edit: Oh, I just found it! :D I'm going to post something in there now.
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby celebalqua » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:49 pm

I combined celeb - Sindarin for silver with alqua - Quenyan for swan.

Doesn't follow any elvish syntax but I like it!

Cel.

Still reading in the Lounge for Bookworms 6
Contributing to Shire and Shutter photo blog and talking about it here.
Occasionally visits the Lucky Fortune Inn

http://www.artistsuk.co.uk/acatalog/mini-Hobbit_David_Wyatt.JPG
celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby Ponyboy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:19 pm

Mine came from a nickname given to me from a few mates after a birthday party mishap during the summer of 2002 :wink:
Ponyboy
Shield Bearer

Postby JudyA » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:48 am

Well, my name is... my name :D Hardly original but all the book names were taken, I'm sure - and I didn't really have the energy at the time to invent one. :P

I've since tried the Barrow Downs name generator and see no reason to change :lol:
JudyA
Mariner

Postby ArwenElrondiel » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:11 pm

I've been RPing Arwen since 2003 so I didn't see any need to change that now. As for Elrondiel, it's the form used for the daughter of Elrond (Arwen's brothers would use Elrondion). Arwen Elrondiel is also my FB profile name.

My friends call me ArwenCat. Arwen - duh, and Cat because my name is Catherine.
ArwenElrondiel
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Gollum Girl » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:04 pm

Gollum is just a sexy beast that is all.
Last edited by Gollum Girl on Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gollum Girl
Shield Bearer

Postby frodolives668 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:19 pm

To be honest, it was a tough desicion. I was gonna use "GandalfTheGrey" but someone already used that. Then I was gonna use my elvish name: Celairdyr. But I couldn't think how to fit it in.

Depressed, I decided to watch a dvd. I remembered that I first found out about this site on the film "Ringers: Lord of the Fans" so I popped it in. In the section where he talks about the internet tolkien, he mentioned there was a virus called the Frodo Lives virus. It apparantly occurs once a year on Frodo's birthday.

So I thought "1.Viruses are connected with the internet.
2. Frodo DOES live.
3. I like pizza."

So the 668? I thougt "1. 666 is the number of the beast.
2. 668 is the next door neighbor of the beast.
3. I like pizza."

That's how I came up with my username.
frodolives668
Rider of the Mark

Postby Lady_of_Darkness » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:53 pm

Since my first account was deleted due to inactivity, my present username is the same one I have on ringbearer.org (though I'm uncertain if the site is still up and running). I chose it because I prefer the darker characters (and places) in Middle-earth (though that doesn't mean I don't like the lighter ones, I just prefer the darker ones). Even my role-playing character (which I first created on this site with my first account, and have now moved her to the LOTR Fanatics Plaza) is darker. Here's a link to the Squidoo page I made about her: http://www.squidoo.com/Naelia
Lady_of_Darkness
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Chanukah » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:08 pm

Well my User name is about the Jewish Holiday of Chanukah. I was born on Chanukah and it is my favorite holiday.
Chanukah
Shield Bearer

Postby Aramir66 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:38 am

Well, mine is not that original,,,I just took "Ara" from Aragorn,,and "mir" from Boromir and put them together,,,I liked the sound of it,,,and my birth year,,
Aramir66
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Treagol » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:57 am

My username is something that was just kind of stupid that I thought of 12 years ago or so. In Tolkien, you have a couple of variations of names ending in -eagol, like Smeagol and Deagol. So basically, I thought what else sounds good? For some reason I thought Treagol was a good name.

I never really cared for it too much. Many times, I wished it was something else... Oh well. :?
Treagol
Ranger of the North

Postby Treagol » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:03 am

Oh and because my name has the hobbity connection. Many people have associated me as such throughout the years. Whereas, I always thought of myself as a rider of Rohan. The Rohirrim really spoke to me in the books. I would love to have been riding a magnificent steed across the lands, charging at, and crushing orcs as I passed.

Forth Eorlingas!!!!
Treagol
Ranger of the North

Postby StormCrow_TheGreen » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:39 pm

A long time before I herd of LoTR and Tolkien I chose StormCrow from Native American myths (I'm Part Huron). I've always liked storms and my Favorite bird is the Crow, so that's the first part.

I added the Green because my favorite color is green and I like the woods (also my birth element is earth)

So there it is
StormCrow_TheGreen
Shield Bearer

Re: explain your username.....

Postby A_Simple_Poet » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:12 am

Mine is an exercise in irony because I'm a bit complicated and a retired poet. But I didn't feel like nurturing a new moniker so I'm stuck with it. And you can call me Will. 8)
A_Simple_Poet
Ranger of the North

Postby Almatolmen » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:36 pm

I chose mine as a calque on one possible interpretation of the meaning of my surname in Quenya.

good fortune/blessing + shield. The latter part can also mean island, which is an alternative meaning for the first half of my surname.

My former username was more complicated: Almacundo/*Auirandos. I explain if you want me to.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby sandra » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:50 am

Almatolmen wrote:My former username was more complicated: Almacundo/*Auirandos. I explain if you want me to.

Please do.
Your former name always stuck out in the crowd probably because of its length but I always did wonder what made you choose it.
I always enjoyed reading your posts with interesting bits of information :)

Apparently my username in Elven is Merenwen. I like that !
sandra
Ringbearer

Postby Almatolmen » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:17 am

The first part was an attempt to do what I've done with my present name. I asked for help from someone in Language and they suggested -cundo, which I think means prince, I was never really satisfied with that, so looked for an improvement, which -tolmen is.

In the second part I was trying to demonstrate one of the other interests I have, historical linguistics (like JRRT). It's my effort to do a Proto-Germanic reconstruction (thus the *) of my surname. I rather like the result.

But aside from my dissatisfaction with the Quenya, many people found it cumbersome and unwieldy so I decided to change it. I even had a post where I set out some alternatives and asked for advise. It's still to be found in my posts list.

So that's the story....
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby jilbo_baggins_revisited » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:04 am

Mine is an exercise in irony because I'm a bit complicated and a retired poet. But I didn't feel like nurturing a new moniker so I'm stuck with it. And you can call me Will.

For shame, Will. You should be proud of your poetry heritage. I remember reading you all the time :wink: Retirement is not an option when its in your blood :P

Mine is as simple as I forgot my original Jilbo Baggins password :roll: But I tend to forget alot these days. The rest is self explanatory...Jilbo rhymes with Bilbo :wink:
jilbo_baggins_revisited
Citizen of Imladris

Postby FrodoTook » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:40 am

I have enjoyed reading the history behind each of your usernames. Some of you are very creative.

When I first joined TORC, I tried FrodoBaggins as a username. That name was already in use. So I tried FrodoBaggins1 which I also found to be in use. And so on...FrodoBaggins2, 3, etc...

I finally settled on FrodoTook. It was cool for me to later know ( after reading one of the volumes of HOME ) that JRRT once had a character named Frodo Took in one of his early versions of LOTR. I can't remember which name he finally settled on for the character or if the character was eventually eliminated.

Edited to add the following. I researched and found some info from HOME

In The History of LotR, ...the personalities of the hobbits seemed as changeable as the land they traversed. In the earliest versions of LotR, Bingo’s relationship to the other hobbits was that of an indulgent uncle showing his young nephews the world. He sets out on his journey in the company of Marmaduke (later Meriadoc) Brandybuck, and Frodo, Odo and Drogo Took. Tolkien soon found that he had more hobbits than he could handle —- and Tooks at that. Drogo quietly vanished. Meriadoc was the most stable of all the characters, keeping his personality and most of his speeches through the three major revisions that marked this early phase of the work. The personalities of Frodo and Odo Took were less clear-cut. Frodo Took began life with Frodo Baggins’ otherworldly air and much of Sam’s dialog — but in Standard English. Frodo Took is the character who is always first to notice what’s happening in the distance. Stubborn Odo, meanwhile, began to disagree with the other hobbits and to long for home and hot meals. Then, at Bree, they were joined by a hobbit who affected the most amazing transformation of all.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Lanastus » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:01 pm

Lanastus came from well.... my imagination I just stared at the monitor until something appropriate flowed through my fingers.
Lanastus
Shield Bearer

Postby Ashke Verasca » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:39 am

My username is name of my character, a Corsair of Umbar. I have been always fascinated by Corsairs and their history.
Ashke Verasca
Shield Bearer

Postby RobertEvert » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:51 pm

I'm afraid mine isn't very creative. It's my first and middle name, the name I write under.

I used to be Edmund the Scholar.... Edmund because, when I was very little, my brothers told me that my middle initial stood for "Egghead." After a couple years...yes, years... I realized that probably wasn't the case and "Edmund" was the only other "E" name I had heard of so I thought my middle name was Edmund. Eh, weird...I know. The scholar part was because I'm a research in my day job. Boring :(
RobertEvert
Shield Bearer

Postby sandra » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:31 am

RobertEvert wrote:I'm afraid mine isn't very creative. It's my first and middle name, the name I write under.

I used to be Edmund the Scholar.... Edmund because, when I was very little, my brothers told me that my middle initial stood for "Egghead." After a couple years...yes, years... I realized that probably wasn't the case and "Edmund" was the only other "E" name I had heard of so I thought my middle name was Edmund. Eh, weird...I know. The scholar part was because I'm a research in my day job. Boring :(

Oh I do hope you got your own back on those brothers of yours. Siblings can be a pain even though you love them :)
Evert is unusual but nice!
sandra
Ringbearer

Postby RobertEvert » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:50 am

sandra wrote:
RobertEvert wrote:I'm afraid mine isn't very creative. It's my first and middle name, the name I write under.

Oh I do hope you got your own back on those brothers of yours. Siblings can be a pain even though you love them :)
Evert is unusual but nice!

:lol: I'm the youngest and smallest of the lot. The only way I ever got them back was literally jumping on their backs and biting them. :evil:

But what's the expression? Success is the best revenge? They each have their issues and I have a wonderful life :) Alls well that ends better--as the Gaffer says!

One of my brothers used to tell me that I was gay. Periodically, he'd just look at me and say, "You know your gay, don't you?"

This was in the 1970s and I was probably six or seven. I had no idea what "gay" meant. So I asked my mother.

She said gay meant "being happy." Which puzzled me since I was never a very happy kid.... :?

Ah! The joy of siblings!
RobertEvert
Shield Bearer

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:22 pm

Because I couldn't fit "white" into it. :D

I actually don't remember why besides that
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby RohirrimNed » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:03 pm

Because I have a horse called Ned and if I was in Middle Earth, I would live in Rohan!
RohirrimNed
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Isildilmë » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:03 am

Oh, I didn't saw this thread before :)
Well, for my user name I used Isil (the Sheen = the Moon), and the ending -dilmë, feminine equivalent of -dil, which means "friend of" or "lover" or "devoted to", but not in the sense of a servant, which would be -dur (as in Isildur, you know ;)). So I'm the Friend of the Moon, or the Moon-lover, or Devoted to the Sheen, as I love to say.

Those who know me a bit know that I have a true fascination for the Moon (even more for the full Moon), and when I read the Silmarillion at first and discovered the Elvish story of the origin of Isil, I was blown away. So there is the origin of my name... and tattoo ;)
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby fattylumpkin » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:03 pm

Well..... I wanted a name from the books and figured that the more elegant ones would be taken and this name has a nice round ring to it, easy to remember and no one had used it!!...I wonder why?... 'cause Fatty lumpkin was one smart poney!
fattylumpkin
Citizen of Imladris

PreviousNext

Return to The Lighter Side: Tom's House