A Toast to the Council

Manwë was known for many things, but wisdom and power are two that lead the rest of his attributes. Join the Councils and discuss the more weighty matters of Tolkien Fandom.

A Toast to the Council

Postby ihadababyitsaboy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:13 pm

Greetings!

It's been many years (over 10!) since I've ventured into the Councils of Manwe, and I'm saddened that today it seems more like the Desolation of Smaug than the active board it used to be. There’s only two threads with posts from this year—I never thought I’d see that! I had hoped, even as I wandered astray down life’s other roads, that while the community might be ever-changing, it would still be thriving.

But though the years have passed the Councils still hold a special place in my heart. The old debates, which did get heated at times, seem positively quaint in my memory compared to what passes as discussion in social media today. True, at its worst, the Councils could be every bit as vicious as the comments section below news articles. But at its best, the Councils featured passionate, thoughtful, and (most importantly!) respectful discussions between a diverse group of members.

Ultimately, it was the members that made the Councils such a great place to share ideas, and I learned quite a bit about other people’s perspectives because of those discussions. It really helped me to understand the world outside my own sphere of experience, and I’ll always be thankful for that. The old threads and personalities stuck with me, even when so many other things slipped out of my mind.

All that said, I’d like to toast the long line of Council members who contributed over the years to the discussions on this board. Manwe does not appear to be as active as it once was, but I still remember days when it was a tremendous community. It may never be as lively again, but if any who – like me – used to frequent the Councils stumbles in here and discovers this post, feel free to drop a note on any memories of your favorite old threads or memorable members.

Take care and safe travels!
ihadababyitsaboy
Ranger of the North

Re: A Toast to the Council

Postby Storyteller » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:41 am

I think politics became too toxic for many people to discuss. The last few years have taken things to such extremes that many just grew wary of voicing opinions.
"...Their aim in war with Germany is nothing more, nothing less than extermination of Hitlerism... There is absolutely no justification for this kind of war. The ideology of Hitlerism, just like any other ideological system, can be accepted or rejected, this is a matter of political views. But everyone grasps, that an ideology can not be exterminated by force, must not be finished off with a war.” - Vyacheslav Molotov, ""On the Foreign Policy of the Soviet Union", 31 October 1939
Storyteller
Mariner

Re: A Toast to the Council

Postby ihadababyitsaboy » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:32 pm

It's a real shame, and is sort of a sad reflection of the broader body politic at the moment. Still doesn't take away from all the great old threads and members though. I respected many folks here that I disagreed with regularly, and did learn much from their perspectives.
ihadababyitsaboy
Ranger of the North

Return to Philosophy: Councils of Manwë