Phone hacking murdered teens - the depravity of Newscorp. I

Manwë was known for many things, but wisdom and power are two that lead the rest of his attributes. Join the Councils and discuss the more weighty matters of Tolkien Fandom.

Phone hacking murdered teens - the depravity of Newscorp. I

Postby Democritus » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:48 am

For those that have not been watching, the phone hacking scandal that has engulfed the Murdoch empire in Britain has shaken the political, media, and policing establishments to their core while producing an explosion of public outrage and disgust directed at the depravity of the News of the World, the cowardice of the two major political parties in allowing Murdoch into the heart of their political machines, and the corruption at the centre of the Metropolitan police investigation that was supposed to lift a lid on all of it.

The short-term fall out from the scandal has been the rapid, brutal decision by Murdoch to close the 168 year old News of the World newspaper, bringing a curtain on a very profitable muck-raking venture that has made him a lot of money but which overnight became irredeemably toxic in the public eye.

While this ruthless decision is designed to cauterise the wound while profitably removing the costs of 200 odd NotW staff in favour of rolling out the Sun to a seven day tabloid, the long-term fall out threatens the Murdoch family’s deathgrip on the British Media and British politics on multiple fronts.

Murdoch’s biggest concern will be the chance that the biggest prize he wants, the most important jewel in the British broadcasting firmament – a controlling share in BskyB – will be withdrawn from him at the last minute, after he had worked for years to get it, controlling and manipulating the current Prime Minster and his cabinet, destroying the reputation of the Liberal Democrat Business Minister who stood in his way, putting in place a new minister who is inside his tent and who was in the process of waving through the permission for Murdoch to own a controlling share in BskyB. Now that toadying minister; Jeremy Hunt, is under huge pressure to defer the BskyB decision to the regulators – Ofcom – and the Competition Commission, to consider the whole News International application all over again, even to consider whether Rupert Murdoch and News International are even a ‘fit and proper’ organisation to run a public company like BskyB.

If the BskyB deal falls then Murdoch will be beside himself for he knows that future domination of the British media for the Murdoch family, after he has gone, depends on that deal, and he also knows that it would be a death knell for the BBC and a serious blow to the Guardian, The Telegraph and the rest of the Non-Murdoch British media.

Beyond even that, the scandal has allowed the Labour and liberal Democrat parties to throw off Murdoch’s shackles and attack him and his pernicious political influence on all fronts, with Labour leader Ed Miliband leading the charge and reversing Tony Blair’s and Gordon Brown’s New Labour obsequiousness to Murdoch and his family. This despite two weeks ago Ed Miliband attending (with David Cameron) Murdoch’s summer party and stated intention to fly to News International HQ to deliver a speech to executives and personally pay dues to Murdoch. But the Milly Dowler case – and the public reaction to it – has changed all of that, possibly for good.

David Cameron now finds himself in trouble with the arrest of Andy Coulson, the ex-News of the World editor, ex-creature of the Murdoch family, and until relatively recently, the 10 Downing Street Director of Communications personally appointed by Cameron despite successive private warnings from The Guardian and others of where their investigations into NotW phone hackings was beginning to throw up about the full complicity of Coulson in all of it. It even goes beyond Cameron and Coulson to the Murdoch family itself where James Murdoch, presumptive heir to the empire, may have to answer very serious questions in the ongoing police investigation, about his role in paying hundreds of thousands of pounds of hush money to potential squealers – Max Clifford, Graham Taylor, in order to stop them from going to the press with the full extent of their complaints about having their personal messages intercepted. In the end he may or may not have done something illegal but even if he is not prosecuted the stink will remain and threatens to disturb the succession.

There is a lot more to run on this but I want to pay personal tribute to Nick Davies, the hard-hitting proper investigative journalist for The Guardian newspaper, who exposed all of this over a long period, but who fired the silver bullet when he uncovered the fact that it was not just celebrities and footballers who were having their phones hacked and their privacy invaded and splashed on the front pages of the News of the World, but also murdered teenagers and children, British soldiers killed in action in Iraq and Afghanistan, and even the heroes of the London Terrorist bombing in July 2007. With that, public indifference turned to disgust and outrage and everything since then has snowballed down a hill fast. Long may it continue until hopefully the Murdoch’s broken and destroyed dreams lay at the bottom.

I am posting all the relevant articles below but I wanted to end by going back to where it all began, with the Milly Dowler case, a case of a missing 13 year old girl who had brutally abducted, raped and murdered by a stranger, and whose frantic family and friends filled up her mobile’s message box with desperate messages of hope and fear pleading her to contact them and come back to them. Messages that were hacked into by News of the World, messages that were then deleted by News of the World when the voicemail became full in order to allow more messages to come into the voicemail inbox which they could listen to, voicemails that when deleted by news of the World gave Milly’s family and friends false hope that she must be still alive in order for her messages to have been cleared, voicemails that when deleted confused the police desperately searching for Milly’s whereabouts, and which ultimately hampered the police investigation into the prosecution of the killer when Milly’s body was finally found and a suspect searched for and arrested. A most disgusting and callous act that may end up doing much damage to those ultimately responsible for its inception.

Background articles on the scandal and the fallout:

The phone hacking of Milly Dowler:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/jul/04/milly-dowler-voicemail-hacked-news-of-world

The phone hacking of the murdered Soham twins and 7/7 bombing victims:
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/2011/07/06/news-of-the-world-hacking-scandal-escalates-now-soham-and-7-7-victims-familes-warned-they-were-targetted-too-86908-23250906/

The make or break over BSkyB... http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/jul/08/ed-miliband-broken-omerta-old-monster

Implications for British Politics and Politicians: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/phone-hacking/8626833/Phone-hacking-The-spell-is-broken-for-a-media-sorcerer-with-a-touch-of-evil.html

The heroic, career defining work by Nick Davies of the Guardian to expose the scandal, never been happier to be a regular Guardian reader:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/video/2011/jul/07/news-of-the-world-phone-hacking-nick-davies-rupert-murdoch-video
Democritus
Mariner

Postby vison » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:58 am

I've been following this story with fascination. Murdoch is a great big pimple on the bum of humanity. Always was.
GM is alive.

Osama bin Laden is dead.
vison
Ringbearer

Postby Storyteller » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:31 am

I don't think such actions are unique to Murdoch-owned media. Journalists make deals with the devil all the time these days, and a lot of past cases come to mind here. CNN's cover-up of Saddam Hussein's abuses in Iraq in exchange for "access", Italian RAI's craven apology to the Palestinians for having aired the footage of a Ramallah mob tearing two Israelis apart, limb from limb (and their pledge never to report any such thing again), the same RAI telling a distraught mother during a live broadcast that her daughter's been found dead and that her brother in law is being charged with the murder... If respected media outlets do it, can we be surprised that a trashy tabloid would hack into a murder victim's phone and interfere with a murder investigation?
"...Their aim in war with Germany is nothing more, nothing less than extermination of Hitlerism... There is absolutely no justification for this kind of war. The ideology of Hitlerism, just like any other ideological system, can be accepted or rejected, this is a matter of political views. But everyone grasps, that an ideology can not be exterminated by force, must not be finished off with a war.” - Vyacheslav Molotov, ""On the Foreign Policy of the Soviet Union", 31 October 1939
Storyteller
Mariner

Postby Democritus » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:35 am

Storyteller wrote:I don't think such actions are unique to Murdoch-owned media. Journalists make deals with the devil all the time these days, and a lot of past cases come to mind here. CNN's cover-up of Saddam Hussein's abuses in Iraq in exchange for "access", Italian RAI's craven apology to the Palestinians for having aired the footage of a Ramallah mob tearing two Israelis apart, limb from limb (and their pledge never to report any such thing again), the same RAI telling a distraught mother during a live broadcast that her daughter's been found dead and that her brother in law is being charged with the murder... If respected media outlets do it, can we be surprised that a trashy tabloid would hack into a murder victim's phone and interfere with a murder investigation?

Sorry, this is a list of your own personal bugbears with the mainsteam media not always buying into your personal prejudices and worldview, not in the same league as phonetapping murdered kids and terrorist victims for personal profit and gain, not even close.
Democritus
Mariner

Postby Democritus » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:37 am

vison wrote:I've been following this story with fascination. Murdoch is a great big pimple on the bum of humanity. Always was.

Agreed, but maybe we are about to see it begin to burst.
Democritus
Mariner

Postby Storyteller » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:48 am

Democritus wrote:
Storyteller wrote:I don't think such actions are unique to Murdoch-owned media. Journalists make deals with the devil all the time these days, and a lot of past cases come to mind here. CNN's cover-up of Saddam Hussein's abuses in Iraq in exchange for "access", Italian RAI's craven apology to the Palestinians for having aired the footage of a Ramallah mob tearing two Israelis apart, limb from limb (and their pledge never to report any such thing again), the same RAI telling a distraught mother during a live broadcast that her daughter's been found dead and that her brother in law is being charged with the murder... If respected media outlets do it, can we be surprised that a trashy tabloid would hack into a murder victim's phone and interfere with a murder investigation?

Sorry, this is a list of your own personal bugbears with the mainsteam media not always buying into your personal prejudices and worldview, not in the same league as phonetapping murdered kids and terrorist victims for personal profit and gain, not even close.

Of course it's in the same league.

A media outlet striking a deal that they won't cover a regime's abuses in exchange of being allowed into the country isn't anyone's personal bugbear. Just because reporting those abuses interferes with your own prejudices- yep, I'm throwing it right back at you- doesn't mean that they shouldn't be reported, does it? It's a direct violation of journalistic duty to report the truth. But it's being done all the time, because the media needs access, so they purchase access. Phonetapping a murdered child is about the exact same thing- access. Getting a juicy story before anyone else can. Getting exclusive information and monopolizing the source. It's what the media does all the bloody time, tabloids simply do it on a smaller, more personal level than the big shots like the CNN.
"...Their aim in war with Germany is nothing more, nothing less than extermination of Hitlerism... There is absolutely no justification for this kind of war. The ideology of Hitlerism, just like any other ideological system, can be accepted or rejected, this is a matter of political views. But everyone grasps, that an ideology can not be exterminated by force, must not be finished off with a war.” - Vyacheslav Molotov, ""On the Foreign Policy of the Soviet Union", 31 October 1939
Storyteller
Mariner

Postby Bombadillo » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:49 am

Story: A media outlet striking a deal that they won't cover a regime's abuses in exchange of being allowed into the country isn't anyone's personal bugbear.

No but your personal bugbears are always completely one sided. I'm sure that if there was a supporter of Arab human rights on this board they could find plenty of Israeli human rights abuses as well that are not being documented to their satisfaction by the main stream media.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you would disagree most fervently with anyone who claimed that, no matter how much evidence they brought to bear. In fact I can't recall ever hearing you say anything on this board that would admit even in passing that Israel is guilty of any kind of abuses of any kind ever in it's history.

THAT is what is meant by a personal bugbear.

Sorry for the thread derail...

For those that have not been watching, the phone hacking scandal that has engulfed the Murdoch empire in Britain has shaken the political, media, and policing establishments to their core while producing an explosion of public outrage and disgust directed at the depravity of the News of the World, the cowardice of the two major political parties in allowing Murdoch into the heart of their political machines, and the corruption at the centre of the Metropolitan police investigation that was supposed to lift a lid on all of it.

I have always thought that future historians will look back in amazement that the U.S. and British citizens sat back and allowed a foreign political radical to buy up their news organizations and ultimately their political parties as well. It's always been shocking to me that so many people are completely comfortable with this arrangement.

Watching Murdoch take it in the shorts is just the kind of shadenfreude that I love to wallow in...
Bombadillo
Mariner

Postby GlassHouse » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:04 pm

Bombadillo wrote:....

I have always thought that future historians will look back in amazement that the U.S. and British citizens sat back and allowed a foreign political radical to buy up their news organizations and ultimately their political parties as well. It's always been shocking to me that so many people are completely comfortable with this arrangement.

Watching Murdoch take it in the shorts is just the kind of shadenfreude that I love to wallow in...

I agree but unfortunately this is such an insignificant portion of his media empire that he (or his son - whoever is running things now) was willing to close down the paper, a 160 year old institution, the most widely read paper in the UK, without batting an eye. It doesn't matter to them. They're far more concerned with their deal to buy BSkyB not getting derailed by this scandal so that NewsCorp can have an even greater strangle hold on British (and world) media.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby basil » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:15 pm

Why does the image of the tower with the Great Eye under seige in ROTK come to my mind?

b
basil
Mariner

Postby portia » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:18 pm

Storyteller wrote:Of course it's in the same league.

A media outlet striking a deal that they won't cover a regime's abuses in exchange of being allowed into the country isn't anyone's personal bugbear. Just because reporting those abuses interferes with your own prejudices- yep, I'm throwing it right back at you- doesn't mean that they shouldn't be reported, does it? It's a direct violation of journalistic duty to report the truth. But it's being done all the time, because the media needs access, so they purchase access. Phonetapping a murdered child is about the exact same thing- access. Getting a juicy story before anyone else can. Getting exclusive information and monopolizing the source. It's what the media does all the bloody time, tabloids simply do it on a smaller, more personal level than the big shots like the CNN.

News organizations are nearly always controlled in what they can say, while the reporter is in the "hostile" country. But as soon as the reporter is out, and sometime in comments while he/she is still in the country, the rest of the story can be aired. If an organization agrees to "muzzle" itself completely in return for access, that is bad and no one should do it. They should report what they can, and let the audience know what the county's government is trying to do.

Phone tapping and planting phony messages are outrageous. At least the reporter and the editor should go. If Murdoch felt the whole place needed to be shut down, he is probably right.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Storyteller » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:07 pm

Bombadillo wrote:
Story: A media outlet striking a deal that they won't cover a regime's abuses in exchange of being allowed into the country isn't anyone's personal bugbear.

No but your personal bugbears are always completely one sided. I'm sure that if there was a supporter of Arab human rights on this board they could find plenty of Israeli human rights abuses as well that are not being documented to their satisfaction by the main stream media.

Because there aren't any supporters of Arab human rights on this board?

If you ever come upon an example of Israeli abuses which were not reported because the media traded honesty for access rights, feel free to email me. So far, all I see is the media feasting on any ridiculous hearsay that allows them to make an accusation- however implausible- against Israel, Israelis or Jews. (Latest example here). And they're not exactly starving for access, either; Israel has easily the world's greatest density of foreign media vultures per square meter of territory.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you would disagree most fervently with anyone who claimed that, no matter how much evidence they brought to bear. In fact I can't recall ever hearing you say anything on this board that would admit even in passing that Israel is guilty of any kind of abuses of any kind ever in it's history.

That's because you rarely bother actually reading my posts. I can link you if you like. It'll take some searching though, because the vast majority of accusations have been rubbish, and I'm not to blame for that.

Sorry for the thread derail...

I'm sure you didn't mean to. Just one of them personal bugbears.

My point, Bombadillo, is that this sort of media behavior is not reducible to Murdoch. Or to British tabloids. It's a glimpse into the media culture of our day. The business is cutthroat, the market is over-saturated, the need to produce a constant stream of ever-more juicy stories keeps on growing, and there's rarely a meaningful downside to crossing the line.

News media has always been a "publish or perish" business, hasn't it?
Storyteller
Mariner

Postby vison » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:31 pm

I knew a man who was a reporter in Glasgow in the 1950s, before he came to Canada. One story he told was of pretending to be a clergyman, and going to the house of people whose child had just been horribly murdered. The poor parents talked to him, and gave him photos of their child. While the other "respectable" reporters stayed away, he got an exclusive story and great praise from his boss. (It wasn't Murdoch.)
GM is alive.

Osama bin Laden is dead.
vison
Ringbearer

Postby ToshoftheWuffingas » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:58 pm

First, the axing of the News of the World was a cynical move. Murdoch had already laid plans to make his main tabloid daily, The Sun (as you may guess it is awful) a seven day operation at less cost to himself. So he still gets his Sunday paper with a different name but with the same villains in charge. It is an attempt to look concerned and shocked. It's totally fake because around a million pounds has been paid out in hush money to keep stories of eavesdropping out of a court of law where evidence has to be given on oath. Such sums have to be authorised from the top. Basically News International (NewsCorp to you) are consistent liars.
Secondly, this is getting bigger not dwindling. We keep getting hints that worse stories are in the pipeline though what can be worse than destroying evidence when the police are trying to track a missing, to be murdered child I hesitate to guess.
Thirdly the police corruption is awful. The Metropolitan Police had two very senior officers in an investigation of phone tapping and basically hid evidence. One now works for Murdoch. Murdoch apologists used that compromised investigation as an excuse to do nothing. From the original police whitewash that said a handful of people were listened in to, the new one says that one Murdoch investigator alone had 4,000 numbers obtained illegally. Nor has this been only recently discovered, it was known at the first enquiry for it was inadvertently leaked.
Fourthly, Murdoch's papers launched secret surveillance of a police officer and his wife and children who was running a murder investigation. The investigation had as its suspects, Murdoch private investigators.
All this may seem bad enough but it is the tip of an iceberg.
ToshoftheWuffingas
Ranger of the North

Postby Jnyusa » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:00 pm

Sit by the river long enough and every turd washes out to sea.
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby ToshoftheWuffingas » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:12 pm

Sorry to make a follow on post but there seems to be two really massive consequences - there may be more to come.
First as Demo said, the power of Murdoch has been fatally compromised in this country. His papers had the ability to destroy private lives for either a whim or for revenge and they regularly did it. Politicians who put their heads above the parapet were targeted and were privately warned beforehand that they would be. One was outed as gay fairly recently. Moreover Murdoch postured that he could make governments rise and fall. His treatment of any leader who threatened his interests was savage and sustained. Any party that wanted to gain power felt they had to deal with the Devil. They may have been right. The Right liked him because he invariably supported them. The Left feared him. Either way this foreign non tax paying and criminal press baron decided the government and the policies of the nation. I think that has ended.
Second, following this awful Milly Dowler case the pressure that counted was not people stopping reading his papers. Those who despised him didn't do so anyway. What happened was that big companies have websites now and they were deluged by customers demanding they drop their advertising. Ordinary people have discovered a very potent weapon that 30 years of politics couldn't: the power of the money in their pocket.
ToshoftheWuffingas
Ranger of the North

Postby vison » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:42 pm

Fox News, hm? :)

The other thing is that in a number of articles on this case, and in a number of radio commentaries someone says something like this: "It was okay when they were after Beckham or Hugh Grant. But this!"

Well, Mr. Beckham and Mr. Grant are entitled to their privacy, too. Why was it okay to listen in to their phone calls? Why is it okay for tabloids (and not so tabloid broadcast media) to make up crap about celebrities? To stalk them and invade their privacy? Why is it that every time I buy groceries I have to sort of run a gauntlet of junk magazines and newspapers?

Why is there such an appetite for it? It's sickening.
GM is alive.

Osama bin Laden is dead.
vison
Ringbearer

Postby Lord_Morningstar » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:45 pm

Interesting article on the growth of Murdoch's holdings in the U.K. It paints him as a bit of an anti-establishment figure waging his own little campaign against both the upper-class British newspaper magnates who rejected him for being non-British and non-gentry, and what he sees as the left-wing media establishment. It's from the BBC, often seen as his major rival, so its critical tone isn't all that surprising.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/2011/01/rupert_murdoch_-_a_portrait_of.html
Lord_Morningstar
Mariner

Postby Democritus » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:11 am

Last edited by Democritus on Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Democritus
Mariner

Postby Democritus » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:14 am

Storyteller wrote:
Democritus wrote:

Of course it's in the same league.

My point Storyteller is that once again you went off topic to bring in three examples that all relate to your personal single issue, which is the Middle Eastern joint you call home, so my point is that you are a single issue guy that turns almost any topic into an opportunity to bring up your single issue, and while that is not necessary the worst thing in the world in and of itself, you also only ever present one side of that single issue... and there is a name for someone who only ever represents one side of a single issue... and that is a propagandist.
Democritus
Mariner

Postby Democritus » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:25 am

Lord_Morningstar wrote:Interesting article on the growth of Murdoch's holdings in the U.K. It paints him as a bit of an anti-establishment figure waging his own little campaign against both the upper-class British newspaper magnates who rejected him for being non-British and non-gentry, and what he sees as the left-wing media establishment. It's from the BBC, often seen as his major rival, so its critical tone isn't all that surprising.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/2011/01/rupert_murdoch_-_a_portrait_of.html

Admittedly I don't mind Murdoch going after the royals or attacking the ridiculous pockets of superior (in their own minds) Englishmen and women that still demand deference from everyone else, while retaining for themselves the right to act in the most amoral and immoral ways imaginable.
Democritus
Mariner

Postby portia » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:00 am

I am ambivalent about tabloids and stories about people who willingly become celebrities. I know that a percentage of such stories are planted by the publicists. And some are not. Some are made up out of whole cloth and probably a good portion of controlled drugs.

In any event I avoid them. When I get my hair done, I sometimes read "People" , but the others make me ill.

What was the name of the now-online magazine that regularly featured interviews with "the Alien?" Those were trash too, but at least amusing trash that didn't invade anyone's privacy.

The really trashy magazines survive because people buy them.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Bombadillo » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:14 am

The really trashy magazines survive because people buy them.

See also: Reality, TV
Bombadillo
Mariner

Postby Cerin » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:15 am

Bombadillo wrote:I have always thought that future historians will look back in amazement that the U.S. and British citizens sat back and allowed a foreign political radical to buy up their news organizations and ultimately their political parties as well. It's always been shocking to me that so many people are completely comfortable with this arrangement.

If anyone looks back in amazement, it will mean that something major will have changed -- media ownership laws, attitudes toward bribery, money and power ... ; so I hope you are right. As far as people being comfortable with it, I guess too many people enjoy the sensationalist garbage that passes for news these days, to object, or are too confused by the misinformation peddled and are not aware enough of Murdoch's pernicious influence, to be alarmed.

As long as the airwaves are only regarded as a means of profit for a few, rather than protected as a public heritage that is a vital part of democratic societies, people like Murdoch will be able to dominate.

Democritus, thanks for the excellent summary and links. The great thing here is that the revulsion and anger over the murder case tampering led to a discussion of the power and influence Murdoch wrongfully wields over the nation's politics. If only some of this momentum against Murdoch could be seeded in the US!!! It has never made sense to me that the xenophobic, nationalistic element of America's right wing would embrace a foreigner having so much control over their country. I hope you are right about his grip over the government finally being loosened by this scandal. The other hope is that the son will be less formidable and driven to control than the father.
Cerin
Mariner

Postby Dave_LF » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:57 pm

Anyone with eyes to see already knows Newscorp for what it is. I doubt this will make any difference at all.
Dave_LF
Mariner

Postby Democritus » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:29 am

After Jeremy Hunt refers Murdoch’s bid on bskyb to Ofcom (communication regulators) some analysts in the city are now giving the bid a 10% chance of being approved.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/2011/jul/11/news-world-hacking-scandal-live
Democritus
Mariner

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:48 am

You guys should read some Mexican tabloids. They just bring up utterly random American celebrities that no one cares about. They pick the names out of a hat. I'm sure of it.

Like today, oh lets see here........... Gwyneth Paltrow anyone?

La ganadora del Óscar, Gwyneth Paltrow confesó que preferiría ingerir drogas a comer algo enlatado.
"Preferiría fumar crack que comer queso de una lata", declaró en el Roundhouse Studio para el Festival iTunes, donde dio una plática de cocina.
La guapa actriz también aseguró que jamás!

She'd rather do crack then eat cheese from a can!

Or when Obama got inaugurated.

TRABAJAR MI NEGRO!!
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby basil » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:41 am

ToshoftheWuffingas wrote:All this may seem bad enough but it is the tip of an iceberg.

http://current.com/shows/countdown/vide ... -news-corp

or, in print:

http://www.americablog.com/2011/07/carl ... ld-is.html

( quoting Carl Bernstein )

[T]he empire is shaking, and there’s no telling when it will stop. My conversations with British journalists and politicians—all of them insistent on speaking anonymously to protect themselves from retribution by the still-enormously powerful mogul—make evident that the shuttering of News of the World, and the official inquiries announced by the British government, are the beginning, not the end, of the seismic event.

News International, the British arm of Murdoch’s media empire, “has always worked on the principle of omertà: ‘Do not say anything to anybody outside the family, and we will look after you,’” notes a former Murdoch editor who knows the system well. “Now they are hanging people out to dry. The moment you do that, the omertà is gone, and people are going to talk. It looks like a circular firing squad.” ... As one of his former top executives—once a close aide—told me, “This scandal and all its implications could not have happened anywhere else. Only in Murdoch’s orbit. The hacking at News of the World was done on an industrial scale. More than anyone, Murdoch invented and established this culture in the newsroom, where you do whatever it takes to get the story, take no prisoners, destroy the competition, and the end will justify the means.”

“In the end, what you sow is what you reap,” said this same executive. “Now Murdoch is a victim of the culture that he created. It is a logical conclusion, and it is his people at the top who encouraged lawbreaking and hacking phones and condoned it.”

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/ju ... rdon-brown

Journalists from across News International repeatedly targeted the former prime minister Gordon Brown, attempting to access his voicemail and obtaining information from his bank account, his legal file as well as his family's medical records.

There is also evidence that a private investigator used a serving police officer to trawl the police national computer for information about him.

That investigator also targeted another Labour MP who was the subject of hostile inquiries by the News of the World, but it has not confirmed whether News International was specifically involved in trawling police computers for information on Brown.

Separately, Brown's tax paperwork was taken from his accountant's office apparently by hacking into the firm's computer. This was passed to another newspaper.

"200 hundred reporters", out of work and with nothing to do other than to talk to "600 other reporters".

Should be fun, and looking forward to the mess hopping the Atlantic.

b
basil
Mariner

Postby Democritus » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:00 am

Democritus
Mariner

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:45 am

Democritus wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/phone-hacking/8617707/News-of-the-World-phone-hacking-live.html

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/damianthompson/100096355/news-international-obtained-medical-records-to-discover-details-of-gordon-browns-sons-cystic-fibrosis/

News of the World hacked into ex PM Gordon Browns baby son's medical records in order to get the dirt on the diagnosis of illness (Cystic Fibrosis) for his son.

But but but..........that's public record. It's our RIGHT as human beings to know!
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby Democritus » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:42 am

Swordsman_Of_The_Tower wrote:
Democritus wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/phone-hacking/8617707/News-of-the-World-phone-hacking-live.html

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/damianthompson/100096355/news-international-obtained-medical-records-to-discover-details-of-gordon-browns-sons-cystic-fibrosis/

News of the World hacked into ex PM Gordon Browns baby son's medical records in order to get the dirt on the diagnosis of illness (Cystic Fibrosis) for his son.

But but but..........that's public record. It's our RIGHT as human beings to know!

Exactly, humanity is capable of indulging itself in the basest and the most craven of instincts and Newscorp is only doing us all a favour by indulging us in our lowest and basest of instincts... for profit...
Democritus
Mariner

Next

Return to Philosophy: Councils of Manwë