Phone hacking murdered teens - the depravity of Newscorp. I

Manwë was known for many things, but wisdom and power are two that lead the rest of his attributes. Join the Councils and discuss the more weighty matters of Tolkien Fandom.

Postby Lee~ » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:18 pm

This aspect of the story doesn't seem to be getting much attention yet:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/1 ... 94399.html

Les Hinton was the exec in charge during the time period when the phone hackings took place. Murdoch is throwing his own son under the bus to protect this guy and Rebekah Brooks, a News International exec who is reportedly very close to Murdoch.

Not only that, Hinton is the head editor of the Wall Street Journal. Not only that, a source has come forward stating that NotW approach police during the 9-11 tragedy to get phone numbers of the victim's families, when Hinton was still at NotW.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/2011/07/11/phon ... -23262694/

I agree this is the tip of the iceberg. Murdoch has many enemies, a fatal flaw of attaining so much power. I'm glad--heartened by these developments. I hope the bleepity bleep falls--and falls hard.
Lee~
Ranger of the North

Postby basil » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:22 pm

Lee~ wrote:and falls hard.

. . . on a bed of nails.

:twisted:

b
basil
Mariner

Postby Lee~ » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:42 pm

Sorry I can't help myself.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/1 ... 94649.html?

Jay Eisenhofer, co-managing director of the law firm Grant & Eisenhofer and co-lead counsel to shareholders, told The Huffington Post that the scandal "demonstrates the breakdown in the corporate governance at News Corp. in terms of the board of directors not having effective oversight of this company."

"You can see the board of directors is absent and silent," Eisenhofer said. "This is total deference to the Murdochs and what they want to do here."

snip

The original suit focused on charges of "nepotism" relating to News Corp.'s decision to purchase the Shine production company and the amended one continues to direct such claims at Rupert Murdoch. "Officer and controlling shareholder -- habitually uses News Corp. to enrich himself and his family members at the Company's and its public shareholders' expense," the suit reads. "Plaintiffs bring this shareholder derivative and class action because recent self-interested transactions and revelations about News Corp.'s operations giving rise to this action are the proverbial straws that break the camel's back."

The camel has had enough. Their share value is dropping, but the Saudi shareholder billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal is backing the Murdoch's. Coincidentally, he's the second largest holder of News Corp stock. I wonder how many Fox fans know about that. Fox isn't as American as they thought, eh? :D
Lee~
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:58 pm

Lee~ wrote:
The camel has had enough. Their share value is dropping, but the Saudi shareholder billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal is backing the Murdoch's. Coincidentally, he's the second largest holder of News Corp stock. I wonder how many Fox fans know about that. FOX isn't as American as they thought, eh? :D
You know.. that information made a splash (ripple) a few years ago.. but it sure died down quickly. Probably because they didn't air it on Fox news and anyone who watches FOX news didn't hear about it. :P

I say Garbage in, Garbage out.. it's time to take out the trash.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Lee~ » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:22 pm

Yes, and that's to be expected of devoted Fox viewers. :P

I haven't watched Fox in the last few days, (or years for that matter) but I've read a few (unconfirmed) reports that this story has not been covered at all, or only very briefly.

I haven't watched any television news today, so I'm not sure how much coverage it is getting in the mainstream US press on tv. Virtually no coverage on the day the story broke. While I was glued to my pc, CNN was still bemoaning the Casey Anthony case. :roll: Online it's being picked up everywhere.
Lee~
Ranger of the North

Postby ToshoftheWuffingas » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:24 pm

Regardless of the ethical depths of such action and of a senior News International executive phoning the Brown's who had just heard the diagnosis themselves that they would be running the story in the morning (how do you pick up the phone to do such an action?), the important point it's ILLEGAL.
ToshoftheWuffingas
Ranger of the North

Postby basil » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:54 pm

ToshoftheWuffingas wrote:. . . . the important point it's ILLEGAL.

Well that's fine and alright by itself to say that.

The more pressing question is, "Will this be investigated head to toe and in between and be prosecuted vigorously?"

b
basil
Mariner

Postby Democritus » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:36 am

Democritus
Mariner

Postby Lee~ » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:48 am

Would it be unseemly to do a virtual victory dance and high five with our tORc UK compatriots? :clap: :clap: :yippie: :yippie:
Lee~
Ranger of the North

Postby vison » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:49 am

Murdoch? He be devious. Don't celebrate too soon.

But, still, it's good news.
GM is alive.

Osama bin Laden is dead.
vison
Ringbearer

Postby Bombadillo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:55 am

As if we needed more proof that News Corp is an Evil Empire:
Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp. must have some mighty good accountants.

The U.S.-based media conglomerate actually made money on income taxes during the past four years, according to an investigation by Reuters columnists David Cay Johnston.

After digging through News Corp.’s financial disclosures, Johnston reports that based on the company’s $10.4 billion profits during that time period, the company would have been expected to pay $3.6 billion at the 35 percent corporate tax rate. But instead the company managed to collect $4.8 billion in income tax refunds, “all or nearly all from the U.S. government.”

The next time you hear someone lamenting the fact that U.S. companies are the most taxed in the world go ahead and laugh in their faces.
Bombadillo
Mariner

Postby vison » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:31 am

Bombadillo wrote:As if we needed more proof that News Corp is an Evil Empire:

The U.S.-based media conglomerate actually made money on income taxes during the past four years, according to an investigation by Reuters columnists David Cay Johnston.

After digging through News Corp.’s financial disclosures, Johnston reports that based on the company’s $10.4 billion profits during that time period, the company would have been expected to pay $3.6 billion at the 35 percent corporate tax rate. But instead the company managed to collect $4.8 billion in income tax refunds, “all or nearly all from the U.S. government.”

The next time you hear someone lamenting the fact that U.S. companies are the most taxed in the world go ahead and laugh in their faces.

Hey, thanks for that.

Interesting.
GM is alive.

Osama bin Laden is dead.
vison
Ringbearer

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:45 am

Thanks Bomb.. I reposted that on my Facebook.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby crispycreme » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:57 am

Reuters published a full retraction. Click on the same link.

UPDATE: Looks like Reuters columnist David Cay Johnston got it wrong on Tuesday when he reported that Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. managed to turn a profit on income taxes over the past four years.

Reuters issued an advisory Wednesday afternoon stating that the column had been withdrawn and the claim that News Corp. made money on income taxes "is wrong."

A new column explaining the error is said to be on the way. We'll update when it's live, but in the meantime here's the full statement:

Please be advised that the David Cay Johnston column published on Tuesday stating that Rupert Murdoch’s U.S.-based News Corp made money on income taxes is wrong and has been withdrawn. News Corp’s filings show the company changed reporting conventions in its 2007 annual report when it reversed the way it showed positive and negative numbers. A new column correcting and explaining the error in more detail will be issued shortly.
crispycreme
Mariner

Postby Democritus » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:57 pm

Lee~ wrote:Would it be unseemly to do a virtual victory dance and high five with our tORc UK compatriots? :clap: :clap: :yippie: :yippie:

It's a rare day and I for one intend to enjoy it. I will now be interested to see if the contagin ends with the collapse of bskyb or whether the SEC get interested in the hacking of the phones of 9/11 victims to listen to the messages from their loved ones trying to reach them. There appears to be some in the US Senate interested in that question...
Democritus
Mariner

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:46 pm

crispycreme wrote:Reuters published a full retraction. Click on the same link.

UPDATE: Looks like Reuters columnist David Cay Johnston got it wrong on Tuesday when he reported that Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. managed to turn a profit on income taxes over the past four years.

Reuters issued an advisory Wednesday afternoon stating that the column had been withdrawn and the claim that News Corp. made money on income taxes "is wrong."

A new column explaining the error is said to be on the way. We'll update when it's live, but in the meantime here's the full statement:

Please be advised that the David Cay Johnston column published on Tuesday stating that Rupert Murdoch’s U.S.-based News Corp made money on income taxes is wrong and has been withdrawn. News Corp’s filings show the company changed reporting conventions in its 2007 annual report when it reversed the way it showed positive and negative numbers. A new column correcting and explaining the error in more detail will be issued shortly.
Well.. isn't that interesting. I wonder how this will all come out. The original reporter; David Cay Johnston, has written books on the IRS/taxes/economic policy.. and is a Pulitzer prize winner. (2001)
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby ToshoftheWuffingas » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:48 pm

It's difficult to express how big this is in the UK. Within 9 days an invulnerable fixture in British politics for the last 30 years has been stripped of his power to intimidate the civil processes.
This was not led by politicians nor even by most of the media. The most honourable exceptions being The Guardian and The Independent newspapers.
When the story about the murdered child's cellphone came out, the wave of absolute fury from the public swept away first the advertisers, then offending newspaper, then Murdoch's protection from the Conservatives, then his assurances he would get his cash cow of a broadcasting station. (Those assurances decided the result of our last national election by the way)
And despite frantic wriggling and repositioning in the last couple of days, today Parliament unprecedentally united in an Opposition motion and without a single vote against called on the bid for the TV station to be dropped. It has been dropped. Moreover the 39% share in the TV company he already owns is to be referred to the regulator to be judged if he is a 'fit and proper person' to own shares there. This company makes one billion pounds profit each year.
No one seriously expects any regulator to judge him fit and proper and meanwhile judicial enquiries with powers to sub poena will be in place to start uncovering this quagmire. We are warned worse things are to follow. I can't see the Murdoch family surviving in America before long.
ToshoftheWuffingas
Ranger of the North

Postby The Heretic » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:53 pm

And David Cay Johnston's retraction:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/ ... 5320110713

Upshot is NewsCorps had pretax profits of 10.4 Billion and then paid 4.8 billion in taxes. Johnston admits his error and apologizes. Will Bombadillo?
The Heretic
Rider of the Mark

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:59 pm

The Heretic wrote:

Upshot is NewsCorps had pretax profits of 10.4 Billion and then paid 4.8 billion in taxes. Johnston admits his error and apologizes. Will Bombadillo?
I wonder if that depends upon whether you fess up to exactly who YOU are.. as you certainly are not a 'noob' here on TORc.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:25 pm

I only need to say one thing.

LOL @ MURDOCH!!!!

that is all.
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:02 am

RoseMorninStar wrote:
The Heretic wrote:

I wonder if that depends upon whether you fess up to exactly who YOU are.. as you certainly are not a 'noob' here on TORc.

Also Heritic, you will see that Crispy already beat you to the punch and posted the retraction before you made your post. So is your request just personal to Bomb?

Rose has a point!!
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!OldToby

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby The Heretic » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:00 pm

rwhen wrote:Also Heritic, you will see that Crispy already beat you to the punch and posted the retraction before you made your post.

No,Crispy said to click the link which was Slate indicating the al-Reuters retraction. I provided a link to the later (now also at the linked at Slate) David Cay Johnston retraction, explantion and apology.
The Heretic
Rider of the Mark

Postby Cerin » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:31 pm

Bombadillo has nothing to apologize for. He posted something in good faith, and it turned out to be inaccurate. The fact that his example was in error doesn't negate the truth of his point. Many US corporations pay little or no tax.
Cerin
Mariner

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:45 pm

Bombadillo wrote:
Story: A media outlet striking a deal that they won't cover a regime's abuses in exchange of being allowed into the country isn't anyone's personal bugbear.

No but your personal bugbears are always completely one sided. I'm sure that if there was a supporter of Arab human rights on this board they could find plenty of Israeli human rights abuses as well that are not being documented to their satisfaction by the main stream media.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you would disagree most fervently with anyone who claimed that, no matter how much evidence they brought to bear. In fact I can't recall ever hearing you say anything on this board that would admit even in passing that Israel is guilty of any kind of abuses of any kind ever in it's history.

THAT is what is meant by a personal bugbear.

Sorry for the thread derail...

For those that have not been watching, the phone hacking scandal that has engulfed the Murdoch empire in Britain has shaken the political, media, and policing establishments to their core while producing an explosion of public outrage and disgust directed at the depravity of the News of the World, the cowardice of the two major political parties in allowing Murdoch into the heart of their political machines, and the corruption at the centre of the Metropolitan police investigation that was supposed to lift a lid on all of it.

I have always thought that future historians will look back in amazement that the U.S. and British citizens sat back and allowed a foreign political radical to buy up their news organizations and ultimately their political parties as well. It's always been shocking to me that so many people are completely comfortable with this arrangement.

Watching Murdoch take it in the shorts is just the kind of shadenfreude that I love to wallow in...

Why does it matter that he's foreign? Allowing ANY political radical to take over your news organizations and political parties is a bad idea, whether that person is foreign or not. Murdoch is the worst of the worst because he's the worst of the worst, not because he's an Australian right-winger.

-GM
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby RoseMorninStar » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:12 pm

I think what is so disturbing is knowing that someone foreign has so much power over the news, politics & elections of another country. Of course if we were discussing an ethical person.. they would be involved only in the business of journalism & reporting the news.. not distorting the news and influencing/manipulating elections. I suppose it doesn't so much matter that they are foreign as that they are unethical, but it adds another layer of .. nefariousness... potential evil intent.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Bombadillo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:24 pm

No I don't think I will apologize. I would apologize if I had done something wrong or purposefully lied. I did neither. That was posted on a legit newsite and I just reposted.

Why does it matter that he's foreign? Allowing ANY political radical to take over your news organizations and political parties is a bad idea, whether that person is foreign or not. Murdoch is the worst of the worst because he's the worst of the worst, not because he's an Australian right-winger.

Because at heart we are tribal and it's discouraging to hear that our mouth-breathing friends and relatives who watch FOX can be so easily duped by someone not from around here.
Bombadillo
Mariner

Postby Democritus » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:12 am

Gandalf'sMother wrote:Why does it matter that he's foreign? Allowing ANY political radical to take over your news organizations and political parties is a bad idea, whether that person is foreign or not. Murdoch is the worst of the worst because he's the worst of the worst, not because he's an Australian right-winger.

-GM

Agreed, his nationality is irrelevant.
Democritus
Mariner

Postby Aravar » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:38 am

Isn't he an American citizen now, anyway?

The most important thing, of course, is to ensure that the home test matchest are wrested form his evil clutches and returned to terrestrial television. That was far worse than anything else he may have done.
Aravar
Ranger of the North

Postby Democritus » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:12 am

Aravar wrote:Isn't he an American citizen now, anyway?

The most important thing, of course, is to ensure that the home test matchest are wrested form his evil clutches and returned to terrestrial television. That was far worse than anything else he may have done.

Aravar.... finger on the pulse of Middle England.
Democritus
Mariner

Postby ToshoftheWuffingas » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:37 pm

It may have been widely reported that Murdoch had a private meeting with the Dowler family yesterday to sincerely apologise. he is reported to have had his head in his hands and talked about his parents. The Dowler family lawyer talked about his apparent sincerity.

Except to my mind, this story came out publicly over a week ago. Whether Murdoch knew about it earlier, who knows? Murdoch flew across to the UK a few days back to try and defuse the situation in his commercial concerns. All sorts of wriggling, ultimately unsuccessful has occurred . Only now, many days later does he apologise to the family with all the cameras working, just before he is launching a series of apologetic newspaper ads. I think he is treating the family of that kid with contempt as a public relations exercise.
ToshoftheWuffingas
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy: Councils of Manwë