Phone hacking murdered teens - the depravity of Newscorp. I

Manwë was known for many things, but wisdom and power are two that lead the rest of his attributes. Join the Councils and discuss the more weighty matters of Tolkien Fandom.

Postby Lee~ » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:06 pm

I think it's all a show. Opinion, of course. I wasn't in the room. But my feeling is, from step one, this man was thinking solely of damage control. It came out today that only a few weeks after Murdoch donates a million dollars to the US Chamber of Commerce, they launch a lobbyist campaign to eliminate the law with allows US citizens/media holders to be held accountable in the US for breaking media law in other countries. This is too much of a coincidence to discount, and I have faith in Murdoch's ability to plan ahead.

Rebekah Brooks has resigned, as has Hinton. Now there's only his son left.

In an unrelated note: if anyone here would like a google plus invite, feel free to email me at ephielemmons @ gmail . com. You do have to sign up for a gmail account in order to use the service. I'm still getting used to it, but I like it quite a lot.
Lee~
Ranger of the North

Postby basil » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:04 pm

Americs's Mayor sez:

HE’S A HUMAN! (ah! ooh!) What you don’t realize is that Rupertney is making you all this money and all you do is write a bunch of crap about him.

He hasn’t performed honestly in years. His song is called “give me more” for a reason because all you people want is MORE! MORE-MORE, MORE: MORE!.

LEAVE RUPERTNEY ALONE! You are lucky he even performed for you BUNNYSLIPPERS!
LEAVE RUPERTNEY ALONE!

…..Please.

:P

b
basil
Mariner

Postby Lee~ » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:24 am

Guiliani is merely supporting his corporate backer. (Yes, I do enjoy stating the obvious.) ;)
Lee~
Ranger of the North

Postby ToshoftheWuffingas » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:52 am

From one of the world experts on scandals :

http://verdict.justia.com/2011/07/14/ru ... watergate/
ToshoftheWuffingas
Ranger of the North

Postby Lee~ » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:00 am

That's a good article, but I never thought it was accurate to state that public interest drives a story. In many situations, the media informs the public on what it should be interested in. Murdoch knows this very well, and has created a generation of poorly informed, paranoid consumers whose worst fears have been consistently confirmed in his newspapers. Media outlets can always choose to carry a story, give it a sensationalist headline to attract notice-and thus control the message for the greater good. But they don't. The entire purpose of journalism as a public watchdog has degraded to the world of blogs-which gets little respect since they are little more than news aggregates often touting fringe politics.

Murdoch is greatly responsible for the degradation of journalism in te last few decades, but where is the accountability for the rest of the media? How exactly did they let this happen and how low have universal standards of journalism really fallen? Wide scale recognition of the problem is only a first step.

edit: I incorrectly stated you needed a gmail account to join google +. that is not true. For anyone who is curious, here is a pretty good rundown of G+: http://www.theonlycog.com/2011/07/15/googlplus-info/ And sorry for the misinformation. Still learning.
Lee~
Ranger of the North

Postby Lord_Morningstar » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:45 pm

Lee~ wrote:Murdoch knows this very well, and has created a generation of poorly informed, paranoid consumers whose worst fears have been consistently confirmed in his newspapers.

Maybe I'm somewhat more cynical, but I don't think he's created them. I think they were already there and he figured out how he could market to them. I've never seen him as immoral so much as amoral - he has built a hugely successful business model on identifying that market and selling to it.
Lord_Morningstar
Mariner

Postby vison » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:20 pm

Lord_Morningstar wrote:
Lee~ wrote:Murdoch knows this very well, and has created a generation of poorly informed, paranoid consumers whose worst fears have been consistently confirmed in his newspapers.

Maybe I'm somewhat more cynical, but I don't think he's created them. I think they were already there and he figured out how he could market to them. I've never seen him as immoral so much as amoral - he has built a hugely successful business model on identifying that market and selling to it.

Precisely.

All it would take for Murdoch to sink like a stone is for people to stop buying his products. (Watching his TV networks and reading his print stuff, etc.)
GM is alive.

Osama bin Laden is dead.
vison
Ringbearer

Postby Lord_Morningstar » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:53 pm

I suppose it should also be added that News Ltd, like any good company, has different products for different consumers. The people who watch Beck and Hannity or read The Sun are not the same people who read the The Times and The Australian. I read The Australian online daily and periodically buy it in dead tree form. I do so because it's Australia's only national broadsheet and it covers the issues that I'm interested in. I sometimes disagree with its editorial choices, but not to the point that I'd stop reading it or to the point where I'd find an alternative better. It was for people like me, after all, that Murdoch launched the paper in the first place and I'm hardly going to complain about him across the board when he had the good business sense to provide a product that I like when none existed before on the market.
Lord_Morningstar
Mariner

Postby Lee~ » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:52 am

Lord M, I suppose you are right, and "created" is too strong a word. How about, Murdoch engendered a generation of poorly informed, paranoid consumers. That's more like procreation-he didn't do it alone, but without his input throughout his vast media influence, it would not have been as pervasive.

Vison, what you are suggesting is, frankly impossible. Here is a wiki list of the media News Corp owns. It's quite extensive. Besides, I'm not opposed to the man making his billions. What I don't like is his manipulation of the message, his role as "king maker", his stacking of the deck.

Lord M, I understand Australian leaders are considering launching a probe into Murdoch and his paper The Australian. Any insights on that?
Lee~
Ranger of the North

Postby vison » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:11 am

I actually come pretty close to not giving Mr. Murdoch my pennies. But I live in a civilized country. :)

He feeds the market, he didn't create it. He didn't invent "yellow" journalism, or gossip, or malice, or the nasty hunger for scandal that fuels his empire. Some of it is schadenfreude, and some isn't.

We live in an age, as the man said, of much information and little knowledge. That's the tragedy. All the time and energy and money spent on distributing crap, as if the sewer systems didn't work any more. :(
GM is alive.

Osama bin Laden is dead.
vison
Ringbearer

Postby crispycreme » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:48 am

vison wrote:I actually come pretty close to not giving Mr. Murdoch my pennies. But I live in a civilized country. :)

I do try, but he owns so much it's difficult. If you look at that list, you'll see how diffused he is throughout our culture. He owns 50% of National Geographic TV for cripes sakes! Why NatGeo ever agreed to that deal with the devil I'll never know. :( About the only way to avoid News Corpse entirely is to avoid media altogether, which isn't a bad thing, but hardly practical.
crispycreme
Mariner

Postby RoseMorninStar » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:29 am

News Corpse.. lol :rofl:
I saw 'the list' the other day. I was simply stunned at it's magnitude & reach. :( It's not a good thing for journalism .. or for anyone who wishes to be an informed free-thinking person.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby vison » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:07 pm

RoseMorninStar wrote:News Corpse.. lol :rofl:
I saw 'the list' the other day. I was simply stunned at it's magnitude & reach. :( It's not a good thing for journalism .. or for anyone who wishes to be an informed free-thinking person.

And don't forget your Supreme Court has said that corporations are, you know, just like people!!! :shock:
GM is alive.

Osama bin Laden is dead.
vison
Ringbearer

Postby basil » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:30 pm

I just love to watch Metropolitan Police Departments that have been shamed and publicly humiliated scrabble to regain some semblance of credibility.

Such fun and drama. And vindication for the honest folk there.

Becky Brooks is arrested and the Chief resigns in disgrace.

Will Cameron also do the honorable thing?

Time Marches On!

b
basil
Mariner

Postby basil » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:00 pm

An unfortunate, but predictable, event in big scandals.

Phone Hacking Whistleblower Found Dead: Guardian
QBy Lindsay Fortado - Jul 18, 2011 2:26 PM CT .

A former reporter at News Corp. (NWSA)’s now-defunct News of the World tabloid, who was the first person to allege its editor, Andy Coulson, encouraged phone hacking by his staff, was found dead, the Guardian newspaper reported, without saying where it got the information.

Sean Hoare’s body was discovered this morning at his home in Watford, England, after police were called to the house, the Guardian said. The death is not thought to be suspicious, the newspaper said, citing a police statement that did not name Hoare.

Hoare worked as an entertainment reporter at the News of the World with Coulson, who resigned as U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron’s press secretary earlier this year because of the scandal.

Hoare first alleged that Coulson encouraged his reporters to hack into mobile phones in an interview with the New York Times last year. He had also worked with Coulson at News Corp.’s Sun tabloid before he was dismissed for drug and alcohol problems, the Guardian said.

Officials for police in Hertfordshire couldn’t be reached for comment and the Metropolitan Police Service in London said it wasn’t aware of the case.

‘Terrible Tragedy’

David Sonn, a lawyer for Hoare, said he didn’t know about it, and if the report is true, it is “a terrible tragedy.”

London’s Metropolitan Police is investigating allegations that reporters at the tabloid hacked into the phones of celebrities, politicians, and murder and terror victims, and bribed police for stories. The scandal forced News Corp. to shutter the 168-year old News of the World, and led to the resignations of two senior executives at the company.

The police had previously re-opened the probe in September last year after a report in the New York Times that cited Hoare. The report quoted Hoare saying everyone at the News of the World, knew about phone hacking. The tabloid said in a statement at the time that the article “contained no new credible evidence” and was “motivated by commercial rivalry.”

Hoare refused to comment to police after the New York Times report, forcing prosecutors to close the probe again because of a lack of evidence, the Director of Public Prosecutions Keir Starmer said in December. Coulson has said he didn’t know the hacking was taking place.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
basil
Mariner

Postby Lee~ » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:27 pm

Did you notice, in the various articles about Hoare, how often his alcoholism and drug abuse was mentioned? :roll: And any doubt I harbored about involvement of powerful politicians and executives has absolutely vanished. I wonder if his death was more about suppression of potential whistle blowers rather than any specific evidence Hoare may have been able to give. This is a terrible business.
Lee~
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:58 pm

Not suspicious?! The timing alone is 'suspicious'.

Has anyone else read much about Rupert Murdoch's desire to influence education .. both in the U.S. and Britain?
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby vison » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:23 pm

Mr. Hoare's death has been reported as suicide several times.
GM is alive.

Osama bin Laden is dead.
vison
Ringbearer

Postby Lord_Morningstar » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:40 am

Lee~ wrote: Lord M, I understand Australian leaders are considering launching a probe into Murdoch and his paper The Australian. Any insights on that?

It gets suggested every time there’s a major media scandal somewhere, but inquiries into the media generally don’t result in anything. When appearing before a Senate committee in the last inquiry, media mogul Kerry Packer basically told the Senators that they were pottymouth in as many words, and that was more or less the end of it.

It’s like belling the cat – even if you identify a problem, what do you do to solve it?

basil wrote: Will Cameron also do the honorable thing?

I’d be surprised if this did the government any long-term political damage.
Lord_Morningstar
Mariner

Postby Aravar » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:50 am

Lee~ wrote:Did you notice, in the various articles about Hoare, how often his alcoholism and drug abuse was mentioned? :roll: And any doubt I harbored about involvement of powerful politicians and executives has absolutely vanished. I wonder if his death was more about suppression of potential whistle blowers rather than any specific evidence Hoare may have been able to give. This is a terrible business.

Peopel can, and do die suddenly, without there being anything supicious.
Aravar
Ranger of the North

Postby Lee~ » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:31 am

Aravar wrote:
Lee~ wrote:Did you notice, in the various articles about Hoare, how often his alcoholism and drug abuse was mentioned? :roll: And any doubt I harbored about involvement of powerful politicians and executives has absolutely vanished. I wonder if his death was more about suppression of potential whistle blowers rather than any specific evidence Hoare may have been able to give. This is a terrible business.

No doubt they do.
Lee~
Ranger of the North

Postby ToshoftheWuffingas » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:35 pm

It may be that Hoare's death was not suspicious. The timing is extraordinary though. Something worth mentioning is that Hoare alleged that editors used 'pinging' This is the ability to place precisely where a mobile phone is. Apparently that information only comes from high security sources.
ToshoftheWuffingas
Ranger of the North

Postby Democritus » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:11 pm

If I ever meet this stupid little halfwit called "Jonny Marbles"I'll do more than put a pie in his face, I HATE these kind of losers!

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/2011/07/19/pie-incident-shows-pettiness-of-murdoch-critics/

Congratulations idiot, you just made the story one of sympathy for the reptile king, bundle back to your hole and leave this to the grown ups.
Democritus
Mariner

Postby basil » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:14 pm

Democritus wrote:If I ever meet this stupid little halfwit

I find it extremely interesting, and telling, that the press has told the people how they should feel.

ISTM the press has protected and promoted its own.

I could almost believe the "half-wit" is on Murdoch's payroll.

Half-wit Pie Boy and Twitty Press.

b
basil
Mariner

Postby Lee~ » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:36 pm

I haven't seen anything sympathetic in the press regarding piegate yet. This nutter reminded me of the left wignuts glittering republicans here in the US, though I do think it's a tad bit more humiliating to get a pie in the face.

What is more interesting is how pieboy managed to access the room so easily. That, more than anything, should have scared the Murdochs out of their shoes.
Lee~
Ranger of the North

Postby basil » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:48 pm

I recall Ann Coulter being a target of a few pies not too long ago.

And I just noticed it's Commentary magazine.

No wonder there's sympathy there.

b
basil
Mariner

Postby portia » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:20 pm

"The Buck stops here" and actually being responsible for wrongdoing are two different things, but I think Murdoch should have emphasized "The Buck stops here," more.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby ILvEowyn » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:56 pm

Lee~ wrote:
Aravar wrote:

No doubt they do.

And what that says about this case is...nothing.

The attack “transformed Murdoch into a sympathetic figure, an old man under attack from a young one,” wrote Paul Owen at the Guardian. “He ended the session having the last word, able to express his contrition to the country.”

Well my goodness! Investigation over, he took a pie to the face! Now I believe everything he says!

Please, is Commentary magazine serious here?
ILvEowyn
Ringbearer

Postby ToshoftheWuffingas » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:36 pm

I share Demo's fury at the self indulgent stunt carried out to stoke someone's ego and the unfortunate consequences. Among many may be the public's right to attend such events.

That said, the best quip I read afterwards was that the assailant was now in custardy.
ToshoftheWuffingas
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:50 pm

:nono: :rofl:
portia
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy: Councils of Manwë