Debt ceiling crisis

Manwë was known for many things, but wisdom and power are two that lead the rest of his attributes. Join the Councils and discuss the more weighty matters of Tolkien Fandom.

Postby Cenedril_Gildinaur » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:11 pm

Swordsman_Of_The_Tower wrote:
hamlet wrote:
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower wrote:Alright, New England can secede. To heck with the rest of you.

New York can come to if it wants.


:roll:

And the only thing you'd accomplish is to portion off your own problems and sever your connection to the federal pool of funding, of which New England in general is a heavy drinker. It's a recipe for bad things to happen.


Relax it was a joke.

And we aren't on the teat as much as the southeast. Libertarian paradise that is.


Sure. Another person can't tell the difference between corporatists and libertarians.

Can you at least tell the difference between socialists and libertarians? Tell me you know that much about politics.
User avatar
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Ringbearer

 
Posts: 11197
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:35 pm
Location: The Real World
Top

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:50 pm

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower wrote:
hamlet wrote:
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower wrote:Alright, New England can secede. To heck with the rest of you.

New York can come to if it wants.


:roll:

And the only thing you'd accomplish is to portion off your own problems and sever your connection to the federal pool of funding, of which New England in general is a heavy drinker. It's a recipe for bad things to happen.


Relax it was a joke.

And we aren't on the teat as much as the southeast. Libertarian paradise that is.


Sure. Another person can't tell the difference between corporatists and libertarians.

Can you at least tell the difference between socialists and libertarians? Tell me you know that much about politics.


I like how the right stole the word libertarian.
User avatar
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North


 
Posts: 4490
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 3:40 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Top

Postby Arvegil » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:58 am

vison wrote:
Lord_Morningstar wrote:The super-committee has failed to reach an agreement. In the long run, it doesn't matter too much - the 'painful' automatic cuts amount to only about 300 billion dollars and won't cut in to 2013, and Congress has already started trying to figure out how to undo them. But it does illustrate the legislative deadlock that appears to make any solution to this problem impossible.


The US government is looking more and more like a circular firing squad.


I was thinking "spoiled babies with ADD pooping in their own sandbox and then crying about it like it wasn't their fault," but your image works, too.
User avatar
Arvegil
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 1439
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:37 pm
Top

Postby Arvegil » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:03 am

Swordsman_Of_The_Tower wrote:
Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower wrote:
hamlet wrote:
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower wrote:Alright, New England can secede. To heck with the rest of you.

New York can come to if it wants.


:roll:

And the only thing you'd accomplish is to portion off your own problems and sever your connection to the federal pool of funding, of which New England in general is a heavy drinker. It's a recipe for bad things to happen.


Relax it was a joke.

And we aren't on the teat as much as the southeast. Libertarian paradise that is.


Sure. Another person can't tell the difference between corporatists and libertarians.

Can you at least tell the difference between socialists and libertarians? Tell me you know that much about politics.


I like how the right stole the word libertarian.


Wow- something we agree on. Although the so-called "libertarians" of the GOP (Ron Paul excepted) are normally corporatist shills working under another name, there are definitely right-wing variants of libertarianism (anarcho-capitalism comes to mind).
User avatar
Arvegil
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 1439
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:37 pm
Top

Postby Cenedril_Gildinaur » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:22 pm

Swordsman_Of_The_Tower wrote:
Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower wrote:
hamlet wrote:
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower wrote:Alright, New England can secede. To heck with the rest of you.

New York can come to if it wants.


:roll:

And the only thing you'd accomplish is to portion off your own problems and sever your connection to the federal pool of funding, of which New England in general is a heavy drinker. It's a recipe for bad things to happen.


Relax it was a joke.

And we aren't on the teat as much as the southeast. Libertarian paradise that is.


Sure. Another person can't tell the difference between corporatists and libertarians.

Can you at least tell the difference between socialists and libertarians? Tell me you know that much about politics.


I like how the right stole the word libertarian.


Right after the left stole the word liberal, and that is if you ignorantly think libertarians are part of the right.

Arvegil wrote:Wow- something we agree on. Although the so-called "libertarians" of the GOP (Ron Paul excepted) are normally corporatist shills working under another name, there are definitely right-wing variants of libertarianism (anarcho-capitalism comes to mind).


Oh barf. So, of all the zero people in the GOP who are libertarians and not Paul supporters, all of those zero are actually corporatists working under another name? Well, I agree there are zero corporatist libertarians.

You obviously aren't qualified to discuss libertarianism intelligently.
User avatar
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Ringbearer

 
Posts: 11197
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:35 pm
Location: The Real World
Top

Postby Aravar » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:49 am

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:Oh barf. So, of all the zero people in the GOP who are libertarians and not Paul supporters, all of those zero are actually corporatists working under another name? Well, I agree there are zero corporatist libertarians.

You obviously aren't qualified to discuss libertarianism intelligently.


O come on CG, all he's sying as that there are some people who claim to be libertarians who aren't: just as there are an even greater number who claim to be liberals and are in fact socialists, the politcis that dare not speak its name in the US.
User avatar
Aravar
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 3171
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2002 8:57 am
Top

Postby Cenedril_Gildinaur » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:26 pm

Aravar wrote:
Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:Oh barf. So, of all the zero people in the GOP who are libertarians and not Paul supporters, all of those zero are actually corporatists working under another name? Well, I agree there are zero corporatist libertarians.

You obviously aren't qualified to discuss libertarianism intelligently.


O come on CG, all he's sying as that there are some people who claim to be libertarians who aren't: just as there are an even greater number who claim to be liberals and are in fact socialists, the politcis that dare not speak its name in the US.


Nice apologetic, but what he's actually doing is trying to lump libertarians in with their opposite because he can't argue against what we actually stand for without doing so.

Next he's going to tell me that bank bailouts and the federal reserve's currency manipulation are the essence of the free market with no government intervention. Because he actually believes that.
User avatar
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Ringbearer

 
Posts: 11197
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:35 pm
Location: The Real World
Top

Postby Arvegil » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:54 pm

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:[

Nice apologetic, but what he's actually doing is trying to lump libertarians in with their opposite because he can't argue against what we actually stand for without doing so.

Next he's going to tell me that bank bailouts and the federal reserve's currency manipulation are the essence of the free market with no government intervention. Because he actually believes that.


No, actually, you don't know what I am talking about. And I was specifically stating that there are those who appropriate the label "libertarian" while acting as just the same old shills for a center-right corporatist nanny state.

Do you need any help building that straw man there about your claim that I am "trying to lump libertarians in with their opposite"? I actually made a comment about people wrongly appropriating the name "libertarian" and you went off on a hissy fit and reached exactly the opposite conclusion.

Rather than say "oh, barf," I will say the following:

Your reading comprehension is poor. If you are attempting to provide a responsible libertarian viewpoint, you have failed. In fact, I could make your own arguments better than you can, without the immoderate language, straw man attacks, and general childishness.

While you claim that I "You obviously aren't qualified to discuss libertarianism intelligently," it is more accurate to say that your so-called "arguments" are an embarrassment to libertarians with a triple digit IQ throughout the English-speaking world.

If you wish to further the cause of libertarian thought, change over to making statements supporting Michele Bachmann with the same reasoned and measured approach you have shown here.

Oh, and before you attempt to lecture me on economic policy again: I have an undergraduate degree in Economics (and I prefer Hayek to Keynes, if those names actually mean anything to you). So your attempt to condescend to me about my knowledge of monetary policy is both ironic and laughable. Your attempt to tell everyone what I am thinking is, however, both consistent with your style of "argument by insult" and proof of just how little you understand, preferring to smugly spout your own erroneous preconceptions as unassailable truth.
User avatar
Arvegil
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 1439
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:37 pm
Top

Postby Cenedril_Gildinaur » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:22 pm

You're right about one thing - I didn't use the good arguments on you. I didn't see a point when, after many years of patiently explaining over and over and over again that corporatism is the opposite of libertarianism, seeing someone come here and say "corporatist libertarians" the way you did.

If you meant to say "pseudo-libertarian corporatists" you should have said so. Even with perfect reading comprehension there are times when your message won't get through.

Do you know who are the biggest advocates of claiming there are corporatist libertairans? It's not the corporatists.

But you're right I didn't waste the good arguments on you.
User avatar
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Ringbearer

 
Posts: 11197
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:35 pm
Location: The Real World
Top

Previous

Return to Philosophy: Councils of Manwë

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest