Has "u" become a word in the English language?

Manwë was known for many things, but wisdom and power are two that lead the rest of his attributes. Join the Councils and discuss the more weighty matters of Tolkien Fandom.

Has "u" become a word in the English language?

Postby Lee~ » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:18 am

A number of years back, crispycreme began a thread titled "U" is a letter in the English alphabet. It made rather an impression on me at the time, considering the then explosion of IM speak and the accompanying spasms and headaches of those who prefer to both read and post in words rather than acronyms. IM speak has grown. Where I was once quite fluent in it, I have lost touch and can only understand the obvious intuitive and oldest of the internet vernacular.

Today I read an article about a state representative who sent an email to her fellow leaders that reads as follows:

Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2011 3:56 PM
To: Vaillancourt, Steve
Cc: ~All Representatives
Subject: News from the war (almost)

Hi everyone! Thought I'd give you an update from the field.
I'm at Fort Dix, NJ training with the Army. Seems they are short staffed which is why I am here.
I am a truck commander on a hum vee for convoys. I had to learn how to drive both day and at night with night vision goggles. My vehicle has a rhino (no, not a RINO) on it to trip IEDs before my vehicle reaches it. Today I got to be the gunner which was fun. The .50cal is quite a gun! I was never ascared of the unions but they better not F#%k with me again!!! Just saying.
I have mastered hand to hand combat as well. I'm headed out of here August 5th. Reports from Kandahar are extremely grim. Tons of casualties ( soldiers, locals, kids). We work 24/7. No one gets a day off but with no alcohol or place to go I guess that's ok.
It's really hot here(103 today) and humid which makes the full battle rattle quite uncomfortable. I am not sure how our fighting forces does it everyday... I will only be in it a few days a week, when I'm on co oyster in theater or flying med-evacuation.
Hope u are all enjoying your summer.
I am.... Keeping focused on the mission and our flag.
Love,
Lynne

Ben Smith Politico Blog

Oddly, the expletive in the above email doesn't bother me much. Her use of violent imagery against unions is not lovely, and as a letter of public record, I believe she ought to have been perhaps a little more reserved. But what I wonder is if this quote from crispycreme, all those years ago, was correct in more ways than one:

See, it's not just the netspeak that is raising issues. I find that the same type of people who are inclined to be lazy with their typing, are also lazy and cavalier in other aspects of messageboard communication. They're the type of people who are less likely to use the search feature, they're the ones who are being warned (and banned) more often for TOS violations (if you saw our 'user warning' forum, you would have no choice but to concede that last point), and they're much more likely to disrupt a thoughtful and interesting thread with utter nonsense (which led to the locking of a few good threads - no pun intended ).

Does anyone else get annoyed by this "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" or "?????????"

Wouldn't it be fair to say a person who uses IM speak in letters of public record to fellow representatives are also inclined to be lazy, cavalier in other aspects of communication, less likely to be careful in their usage of language and research, whom perhaps may be more guilty of minor violations of whatever variety, and also more likely to disrupt thoughtful and interesting discussions with poorly worded or not properly thought out contributions?

Interestingly, another political figure often accused of using violent imagery, Sarah Palin's emails make regular use of the letter "u" in place of "you", and "r" in place of "are." Crivella West: Palin Email search

I am disturbed to see any government representatives using IM speak in official communications, regardless of their informality. Am I simply an old fogey, a narrow-minded ninnyhammer making false correlations or what? I can't figure out if this is true language shift (Western World leaders are making it a matter of public record!) or plain laziness.
Last edited by Lee~ on Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lee~
Ranger of the North

Postby vison » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:26 am

Aside from anything else - and I think your observation is spot on - this struck me: "I have mastered hand to hand combat as well."

:roll:

And, of course "ascared". Now, she may have been being cute, but . . . . one wonders, yes, one does wonder. One is forced to wonder.

It reads very much like the sort of letter a teenaged girl would write from summer camp. I'm surprised she didn't mention the h0tt guyz.

And people actually voted for this airhead?
GM is alive.

Osama bin Laden is dead.
vison
Ringbearer

Postby Frelga » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:02 am

The sentence you highlighted is grammatically incorrect. The correct form, when "u" is used, would be:

"Hope u r all enjoying ur summer"

Although a more advanced writer would have used "you're summer"
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby oldtoby » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:50 am

Y?

:wink:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:26 am

U have got 2 b kidding me! :P

Very annoying.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby vison » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:18 pm

Frelga wrote:The sentence you highlighted is grammatically incorrect. The correct form, when "u" is used, would be:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
GM is alive.

Osama bin Laden is dead.
vison
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:59 pm

vison wrote:
Frelga wrote:The sentence you highlighted is grammatically incorrect. The correct form, when "u" is used, would be:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

How much more advanced? My ruler doesn't measure in increments that small.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Lee~ » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:37 am

I'm off on a nice break. Hope to shake some of this miserable news cycle out of my system and not feel so durned gloomy about everything.

C u guys l8tr!!!!1
Lee~
Ranger of the North

Postby vison » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:49 am

OK, I have it figured out, peepz. :)

Since in the States you don't use the letter "u" in words such as "honour" and "colour", the poor things had to find something to do.

Do u c?
GM is alive.

Osama bin Laden is dead.
vison
Ringbearer

Postby oldtoby » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:00 am

Since in the States you don't use the letter "u" in words such as "honour" and "colour"

We can't help it if we are more efficient spellers. :P :wink: :P
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby vison » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:38 pm

oldtoby wrote:
Since in the States you don't use the letter "u" in words such as "honour" and "colour"

We can't help it if we are more efficient spellers. :P :wink: :P

Efficiency at the cost of u pain? Think of the children!!!!

O, the humanity . . . .
GM is alive.

Osama bin Laden is dead.
vison
Ringbearer

Postby Aravar » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:36 am

u may not be a word, but U certainly is. Never, ever use the word toilet. It's non-U.
Aravar
Ranger of the North

Postby crispycreme » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:08 am

Despite my loathing of netspeak (or TXT or SMSLanguage or LOLspeech, or whatever the new acronym is for the tendancy to talk in acronyms), I should point out that our other common one-letter pronoun, "I", used to be two letters in Old English, "Ic", and that change happened before the need to truncate everything into 128 character tweets. Ergo, OED's entry of 'u' as a pronoun is only a matter of time (assuming of course the venerable dictionary isn't supplanted by urbandictionary.com as the final arbiter of the English language).
crispycreme
Mariner

Postby Dave_LF » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:17 am

crispycreme wrote:I should point out that our other common one-letter pronoun, "I", used to be two letters in Old English, "Ic", and that change happened before the need to truncate everything into 128 character tweets.

That also happened before the language was standardized. Preventing those sorts of mutations is one of the reasons standards were developed in the first place.
Dave_LF
Mariner

Postby vison » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:49 am

No, it isn't, except maybe for the French. :)

Standards in English are always a half step behind usage. Standards are a photograph of what was, a minute ago.
GM is alive.

Osama bin Laden is dead.
vison
Ringbearer

Postby TheEllipticalDisillusion » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:39 pm

That'z unfortunate about the way that email wuz writtin. Both what was said and how it was said make me sadz.

Hope u r awl doin' good.
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Mariner

Return to Philosophy: Councils of Manwë