Steve Jobs RIP

Manwë was known for many things, but wisdom and power are two that lead the rest of his attributes. Join the Councils and discuss the more weighty matters of Tolkien Fandom.

Postby DeadRinger » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:29 pm

nienor-niniel wrote:Being neither American nor Christian, I never heard of Rev. Shuttlesworth, whereas of course I had heard about Steve Jobs

Exactly - Jobs was a global figure, while Shuttleworth, with all due respect, was not. I hadn't heard of him either, until this thread.

Furthermore, Shuttleworth was 89 - it was his time. And his heyday was going on half a century ago. Jobs died well before his time, and his heyday was right now.
DeadRinger
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:51 pm

Exactly, Ringer.

I sense something... eerie about this convergence of events - Steve Jobs' death came within days of both the lackluster debut of iPhone 4S and the much more lauded arrival of Kindle Fire, said to be poised to give iPad a serious run for its market share.
Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong.
Luke Skywalker, The Last Jedi
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby portia » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:55 am

The authorized biography of Jobs is now out. I probably will read it sometime, but the interviews of the author show a difficult side to Jobs, to say the least.
Geniuses and visionaries have even more right (and probably need) than the rest of us to be demanding, difficult, stubborn, etc. So I don't criticize him for that, but actions have consequences. Did he drive out people who would have made great contributions if they'd stayed at Apple? He apparently shortened his own life by not pursuing the best medical care, and that is a loss for the rest of us, too.
portia
Ringbearer

Previous

Return to Philosophy: Councils of Manwë