The pro bullying GOP

Manwë was known for many things, but wisdom and power are two that lead the rest of his attributes. Join the Councils and discuss the more weighty matters of Tolkien Fandom.

The pro bullying GOP

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:51 pm

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/mi ... 1/03/29580
“For years the line has been ‘no protected classes,’ and the first thing they throw in — very secretly — was a very protected class, and limited them from repercussions of their own actions. This line has no purpose within this piece of legislation except to incite ‘religious bigotry’ within our schools. Schools are trying to build more tolerant students and future leaders, not automatons blindly following misguided adult leaders who seek a return to a 1950′s America,” Epling said. “This will only cause unrest in schools and give schools one more thing to deal with rather than trying to solve a problem. Also it is not a very well thought out ploy, as in some areas of the state the tables might be turned on the ‘anointed ones’ they seek to keep from being punished. This is just very wrong and the way it was done was wrong as well. It was bullying at its best.”

Spare me the line of "Well they just don't think the government should be involved!" That's not the point here and everyone knows it.

Anyone who claims to disagree with say............the WBC should disagree with this legislation that protects attacks on gays.
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:15 am

I am seldom in favor of laws that make something a crime--or not a crime-- depending on the motivation of the accused criminal. So, I think insulating people from what would otherwise be harassing behavior, because the harassor was motivated by religious attitudes, is wrong.

It may well backfire. I can easily imagine a person of a religion being so tired of what he thinks of a Society's discrimination, that he bullies someone of another religion whom he blames. The Law of Unintended Consequences is in full force, still.
portia
Ringbearer

Return to Philosophy: Councils of Manwë