No veils at citizenship ceremony: Canadian government

Manwë was known for many things, but wisdom and power are two that lead the rest of his attributes. Join the Councils and discuss the more weighty matters of Tolkien Fandom.

No veils at citizenship ceremony: Canadian government

Postby vison » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:49 am

Story here.

I do most sincerely hope that the government does not back down on this. PM Harper's highhandedness has, for once, met with my approval.

I admit that when I see women covered as some Muslim women are covered, whether in person or in pictures, I just get angry and sad.

"We are not oppressed," some of these women say, "we do this freely, because of our religion."

And, of course, it's not really part of being Muslim at all. It is just what it appears to be: oppression and control of women. If some women are cool with it, fine and dandy. But not when it's a matter of taking the citizenship oath, or testifying in court.

There is a case before our Supreme Court right now, the ruling will decide whether or not a woman accusing some male relatives of sexual assault must bare her face in court.

There are those who say that women who must remove their coverings should be accomodated by appearing only before a female judge in a room where there are no men. And I say . . . well, I can't say it on Torc.

I wish with all my heart and soul that some brave person would demand his or her right to appear naked in a court, or when taking the oath of citizenship. "My religion requires it!" he or she would say and I would say, "Go for it!" (It's not going to be me, although I wish I had the nerve and the figure.)

Of course all the politically correct are in an uproar. A pox on them all, I say. :angry:
GM is alive.

Osama bin Laden is dead.
vison
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:09 am

I agree. There are times when seeing a person's face is necessary. Identification, testimony and that sort of thing.
I am certainly willing to consider accommodations (Testifying from another room on video, for example, )
Taking a citizenship oath is similar.

IMO, cultures that require a woman to cover up, stay home, not be educated, etc. need to grow up. They are just catering to the males' inability to behave with restraint, and their immature and psychologically questionable inability to deal with women as people.

I do not trust the women's statements that they do this freely. There are too many cases --including in our societies--where the women are doing something that clearly indicates domination or oppression by men, but have been brainwashed into thinking that it is their choice.
portia
Ringbearer

Return to Philosophy: Councils of Manwë