Contraception coverage and related insurance issues

Manwë was known for many things, but wisdom and power are two that lead the rest of his attributes. Join the Councils and discuss the more weighty matters of Tolkien Fandom.

Postby vison » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:59 am

The part that gets me is that he is STILL treated as a serious person.

And he's not alone. Politicians from both parties have been nearly as bad and probably will be in the future.

WHY do people keep putting up with it? WHY do people put up with being lied to on such a massive scale, with people who lie about their education or experience or qualifications? It seems as if hypocrisy is just ignored. And these are hypocrites whose behavior is staggeringly bad.

I JUST DO NOT GET IT. :? :?
GM is alive.

Osama bin Laden is dead.
vison
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:53 pm

Minardil wrote:Hmm, I think Gingrich's problem isn't so much that he thinks that he and ONLY HE is "right" and that everyone is wrong, I think he thinks that he can say anything he wants and that no one else is smart enough to pick up on it.

So, when he says that politicians who work with Fannie Mae should go to jail, while he is personally pocketing millions of dollars working as a consultant for Fannie Mae, HE thinks he'll be able to get away with it.

When he was pummeling Bill Clinton for having an extra-marital affair WHILE he was cheating on his own wife, he thought he wouldn't get caught.

When he criticized Mr. Obama for "doing nothing" in Libya, then two weeks later criticized Mr. Obama for doing something in Libya, he thought no one would remember what he had said earlier.

The list of examples of his hypocrisy and his politically motivated and opportunisitic flip-flopping on issues goes on and on. This essentially defines his career and his character. Either he is completely delusional and doesn't realize that he behaves in this way, or he's completely delusional and thinks that everyone else is too stupide to realize that he behaves this way.

Since there is a very short memory among the media and others for a person's previous positions/statements, he has reason for thinking he can get away with it.

AND, if we do not hold public figures accountable for lies and hypocrisy, we will get what we deserve.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:49 am

If he, and Ron Paul, think they were ignored by the media before just watch, now!
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Cerin » Thu May 31, 2012 4:43 pm

A group of Catholic institutions has decided to sue the Obama Admin. over the issue of contraception coverage. This article seems to think precedent does not favor the lawsuit (although I'm not sure how much that means in these strange times).

NewYorker
Cerin
Mariner

Postby portia » Thu May 31, 2012 6:43 pm

A lot of lawsuits are not commenced for the purpose of establishing a legal point. Often they are commenced for the purpose of establishing the plaintiffs as champions of whatever the social, political or religious point is. Even if they lose, they have tried to "fight the good fight."

Often, they do not care that by establishing another precedent against their point, they make it that much harder for future believers.

They are not totally without hope of winning, however.
(As the old joke has it: "Maybe the horse will learn to sing")
portia
Ringbearer

Previous

Return to Philosophy: Councils of Manwë