Why do you reject Evolution and the Atheist movement?

Manwë was known for many things, but wisdom and power are two that lead the rest of his attributes. Join the Councils and discuss the more weighty matters of Tolkien Fandom.

Postby GlassHouse » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:42 pm

Chanukah wrote:Darwin was asked " what and how was the transition between solid matter to plants "?

He replied :"I have no answer to that".

Meaning using the medium of science to explain the phenomenon of life if a lost cause, and an impossibility, because its not its realm, and that's what I meant.

Theories?

Was Darwin ever actually asked that question? If so, I believe the reason he couldn't answer it was because it's so totally....I don't know...ridiculous? It's a completely meaningless question and whoever asked it was lucky that Mr Darwin was apparently, such a polite man.
Now if the hypothetical questioner had asked Mr Darwin if he had found any evidence to indicate how inanimate matter had led to animate matter he could have told that person "NO, that was not my field of study." as Minardil has already explained to you.

It's as meaningless as asking why cosmologists or biologists can't explain what happened to the Jews in Egypt 3300 years ago.

GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby GlassHouse » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:16 am

GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Treagol » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:26 am

Chanukah wrote:But can anyone here in this site explain where life came from?

LIFE!

No, but I do know that when you react water with calcium carbide you get acetylene. That is a pretty cool fact. The importance to chemists is that it is the only natural way you can react two inorganic chemicals and result in an organic one. Wow! It doesn't sound like much. But it is kind of profound in a way when you think about it.

Not life by a long stretch, but a step in that direction it is.
Treagol
Ranger of the North

Postby Treagol » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:55 am

Chanukah wrote: The great and astronomical error of the scientists is their belief that through science they will know everything that there is to know, without involving God in any of this.

Well what can I say? This is a gross generalization. I am sure it may be true for some scientists. But as has already been pointed out, some scientists have no conflict between their work and their faith. It is definitely possible to study black holes, chemistry, biology, or even evolution without the concept of God coming up.

The flipside is that for some people, God is the answer for everything. I guess there is nothing wrong with that if you want to look at it that way. But IMHO it is just a too lazy a way of thinking. Why is the sky blue? Does it have to do with our atmosphere scattering light into different wavelengths? No, it is blue because God made it that way. Hey I noticed that some reptiles share anatomical features with birds. Could that mean that maybe they once had common ancestry? No they are that way because God created them in that fashion.

See what I mean. God is a convenient excuse not to learn about the world around us. God as an answer is too easy. In my experience things that are too easy are seldom right. My opinion only.
Treagol
Ranger of the North

Postby Minardil » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:06 am

Chanukah wrote:Anyways, I think that I have said already some of the things I wanted to say.

So now I want to discuss other things besides religion, namely politics, nature, and literature

So I hope that some people got a different perspective on these matters.

Regards,

Saul

I think this : :roll: About sums it up.
Minardil
Mariner

Postby vison » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:37 am

On a flight to Denver this morning, Satan appeared at the cockpit door and announced that he had beaten the god being at arm wrasslin' and all the rules of the universe were about to change.

Moments later, air traffic controllers in Boulder were astonished to see Satan's plane leave Earth's atmosphere and, at what we speculate must be faster than the old barrier, that of light speed, said airplane vanished. Later in the day the plane came back, landed at SeaTac, and the passengers disembarked.

We hope to hear from them later.
GM is alive.

Osama bin Laden is dead.
vison
Ringbearer

Postby oldtoby » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:48 am

Chanukah wrote:Anyways, I think that I have said already some of the things I wanted to say.

So now I want to discuss other things besides religion, namely politics, nature, and literature

So I hope that some people got a different perspective on these matters.

Regards,

Saul

Oooooooo can we look forward to being lectured at and told how Judaism and Jews are superior to everyone there too?

Sign me up :roll:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby hamlet » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:48 am

Chanukah wrote:Darwin was asked " what and how was the transition between solid matter to plants "?

He replied :"I have no answer to that".

Meaning using the medium of science to explain the phenomenon of life if a lost cause, and an impossibility, because its not its realm, and that's what I meant.

:?

And that, right there, is where you lost every last shred of any credibility you might have had as an educated person.

The "logic" that went into that particular argument there is just mind bogglingly faulty. Demonstrably so to anybody who's read even a single page of objective information about the subject.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby vison » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:32 am

Amen, hamlet. :)
GM is alive.

Osama bin Laden is dead.
vison
Ringbearer

Postby Cenedril_Gildinaur » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:29 am

oldtoby wrote:

Just two threads? I could swear we've rode this merry-go-round at least 4-5 times already.

Those were the top two. One of them is the all time best thread on Manwe, started by none other than yovargas.
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Ringbearer

Postby Minardil » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:41 am

The "logic" that went into that particular argument there is just mind bogglingly faulty.

I am sure that Chanukah has merely regurgetated something he was fed by Creationists. Again, he is demonstrating that he hasn't "studied" Evolution at all, he's been indoctrinated against it, using the same flawed logic and outright lies that Creationists always use. Now he has bundle off. Oh well.
Minardil
Mariner

Postby SeverusSnape » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:58 am

This thread has lived past any real discourse and is now devolving.

I am going to close it. There are plenty of threads on Evolution, several links left already. Please use those.

Thank you,

Severus Snape

"The Dark Arts are many, varied, ever-changing and eternal. Fighting them is like fighting a many-headed monster, which, each time a neck is severed, sprouts a head even fiercer and cleverer than before. You are fighting that which is unfixed, mutating, indestructible."

Severus Snape
Moderator of the Dark Arts

severussnape@theonering.com
SeverusSnape
Moderator of the Dark Arts

Previous

Return to Philosophy: Councils of Manwë