RIP Sally Ride, 1951--2012

Manwë was known for many things, but wisdom and power are two that lead the rest of his attributes. Join the Councils and discuss the more weighty matters of Tolkien Fandom.

RIP Sally Ride, 1951--2012

Postby portia » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:13 pm

Sally Ride died, at the too-young age of 61. It is very hard to overestimate the encouraging effect of a woman in space, and she used her position well.

The US Space program had a very questionable record concerning women, early on. Lyndon Johnson ordered women who were already training to be astronauts to be removed from the program. The TOS will not allow me to adequately describe my reaction to that. I was always interested in space, and finally made it to Space Camp in the early 90s. One of my classmates was one of the excluded trainees. Another was an MD who was starting the selection process to be an astronaut, but I believe she did not make it.

I used to tell myself that I was just born too early to be an astronaut, but then along came Shannon Lucid, who is 1 1/2 years old than I . I am now in search of an alternate rationalization.

More evidence that my father was right. The only thing he was sure a woman couldn't be was a father.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Jnyusa » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:59 am

What a loss. She was someone you'd like to see around for a long, long time, guiding space policy and women's opportunities.

I remember her picture on the cover of Time Magazine, with the caption "Ride, Sally Ride!"

She was a beautiful woman as well as being so accomplished.
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby basil » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:10 am

She's survived by her partner of 27 years.

She was a pioneer in other areas of life as well.

Formerly married to Steve Hawley, who grew up in Chapman KS.

b
basil
Mariner

Return to Philosophy: Councils of Manwë