The Affordable Care Act

Manwë was known for many things, but wisdom and power are two that lead the rest of his attributes. Join the Councils and discuss the more weighty matters of Tolkien Fandom.

Re: The Affordable Care Act

Postby Jnyusa » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:27 pm

No, they don't bully; at least I presume they don't. I don't attend student organization meetings so I don't know how polite they are, but there would probably be complaints if they were not.

What they do is ... spam.

Which, technically, is a violation of the TOS of our university server, but ... it's one of those thin grey lines that is always moving. <shrugs>
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby portia » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:32 pm

Well, I do not participate in a college system, so I do not know whether I would react to spam.

But, I generally regard spam as something to be deleted without comment or reply, and ignored. Part of fee speech.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby oldtoby » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:50 pm

portia wrote:Well, I do not participate in a college system, so I do not know whether I would react to spam.

But, I generally regard spam as something to be deleted without comment or reply, and ignored. Part of fee speech.

oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:16 am

We pay for fire insurance on our houses--through direct payments or through rent payments. We pay for car insurance on our cars. We pay for insurance--many of us-- on business or in errors and omissions policies. So, why the hysteria about health insurance?
OK; some of it is mere opposition to the President--for whatever reason, but not all.

We do not routinely gamble our lives or livelihoods on chance, but some want to do that with their health.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Jnyusa » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:54 pm

The people who lobby against universal coverage are gambling with someone else's life, not their own. They all have health insurance. The ones they want to deprive of health insurance are all poorer and have generally darker skin and unhyphenated last names.

I agree with you that car insurance is a good comparison. It's mandatory and no one complains about it. Not seriously anyway. Not as the incarnation of communism in America. Everyone gets why you want the guy who smacks your bumper to be insured.

Of course, you don't have to buy car insurance if you don't own a car. So I think there should be an exemption made in health insurance too. Anyone who doesn't have a body shouldn't have to carry health insurance.
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby portia » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:31 am

:rofl:
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Frelga » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:31 am

Jnyusa wrote:Everyone gets why you want the guy who smacks your bumper to be insured.

Not everybody. For instance, illegal immigrants can't get a driver's license, ergo can't buy insurance. It doesn't stop them driving, it stops me getting paid if one of them hits me.

By similar mechanism, my son's doctor said he's seen kids from well-off families get tuberculosis from their nannies.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Jnyusa » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:54 pm

Frelga, yes that's true. :(

And illegal immigrants are not covered under the new health care laws either. On paper, these are people who don't exist, which is sort of like not having a body, I guess, except that you still get hungry.

Children getting tuberculosis from their caregivers is a shocking eventuality. It will affect those children's quality of life (and their health care costs) all their lives. Are the nannies illegal, or are they just people who were too poor to have insurance prior to the new laws?
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby Frelga » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:03 pm

I don't know. It came up when his cousin (who did not have a nanny) got a false positive on the test. Before they figured out the false part, I called my son's doctor to ask about it, as he's been hanging out with his cousin. The doctor told me to get him tested, because the infection was in the community. Happily, everyone was fine.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby portia » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:23 am

I got mumps, as a college student, from children I was babysitting. So, I wonder how many adults have contracted illnesses from their babysitting charges?
portia
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:34 pm

California is now making it possible to get a Driver's license if one is undocumented. Now, they will have to get insurance if they want to register their cars.

Not including undocumented people in the ACA will result in a smaller reduction in emergency care expenses, as the undocumented still have to be treated/stabilized in the hosp. Whether they can pay or not.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Jnyusa » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:24 pm

Portia, yes, also true. The EMTALA legislation is a different beast, though hospitals routinely build this cost into their fee structure and one way or another it gets paid by all of us, though our insurance or our taxes.

I haven't seen any statistics on the proportion of unreimbursed ER care that can be attributed to illegal aliens. The regional weighting will be strong, naturally ... presently a relatively unfair burden for the State Medicaid funds. Possibly this will spread the weight around a little, though I confess that I'm also not clear on the State/Federal status of Medicaid under the new law.
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby portia » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:13 pm

I certainly never expected the ACA, or any other one piece of legislation to solve the health care payments issue. But it is a start, and can be modified, amended, etc. as needed. The "end result"--assuming there ever is an end, there isn't really one yet for Social Security or the Income tax--may not look much like what we have now, but if we abandon it, entirely, the GOP will have a pyrrhic political victory, and we will go back to the bad old days.
portia
Ringbearer

Previous

Return to Philosophy: Councils of Manwë