Police-view cameras

Manwë was known for many things, but wisdom and power are two that lead the rest of his attributes. Join the Councils and discuss the more weighty matters of Tolkien Fandom.

Re: Police-view cameras

Postby Jnyusa » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:10 pm

The only thing that occurred to me as questionable, while watching the dash-cam video, was that the police car was possibly going faster than he needed to. But otherwise? Win-win. They stopped the guy with the gun without killing him and without endangering the police officers or any other civilians.

I'm sort of wondering when we're going to drift back around to the rights of ordinary people not to be shot down by random gun-toters, or the right of police officers not to make themselves sitting ducks before arresting an armed suspect.

Naturally the guy's lawyer is going to argue unnecessary force. What else can she argue? Besides which, viral video makes this her day in the spotlight.
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby portia » Sat May 02, 2015 8:38 am

Well, there will be a lot of questions about the decision to prosecute in Baltimore.
It is a fast decision, but some elements which complicate other situations were not present, especially, the issue of whether the police felt threatened. Since the injuries happened in the police van, there is no such question.
I think the following will be important:

What is the proper procedure for transporting someone in the van? Was it followed?
What was the exact cause of the injury that led to his death?
Who did what that was involved with the cause of death?
Who decided to arrest the man, and why?

When there are several actors who are involved in different ways, it can be hard to tell what the causal factors were.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Sat May 02, 2015 1:38 pm

As to the police car vs man incident, I am sure that the prosecutor will push for a settlement ($20,000 or less is a nuisance settlement and just gets the case off the books).
But I hope she will have to go to trial as I cannot imagine a jury ruling for the man.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Jnyusa » Sat May 02, 2015 11:03 pm

In the case of the Baltimore death, I've only had access to newspaper articles, and we all know how utterly reliable they are ...

but what I read said the police report includes admission that one office stood on the neck of the victim while he laid face down on the ground and the other office bent his legs up over his back ... they forced him to arch his back extremely while standing on his neck, in other words. When he got to the hospital his head was 80% separated from his spinal cord. He didn't die instantly but it seemed to me very likely that he was effectively killed before he was put into the van.

So ... this one makes me very unhappy and I hope the officers will face criminal charges. Perp was resisting arrest so we had to make his head fell off? :nono:

Riots are totally understandable following an incident like this. It is just so extreme beyond all reasonable measure. There was a demonstration in Philadelphia on Friday and we were warned to keep out of the area. I'm sorry, I have a lot of sympathy for the stuff the police have to go up against in Philadelphia, but the automatic killing of young black men all around the country has gotten way out of hand.
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby Jnyusa » Mon May 04, 2015 2:34 pm

All six officers involved in Gray's death have been arrested and criminal charges were filed. Aggravated, it seems, by the fact that the officers had no probable cause for arresting Gray, so one of the charges against them is false imprisonment. (Only one of them faces 2nd degree murder charges; the rest are charged with manslaughter.) The Police Commissioner has asked for a Special Prosecutor ... I don't know whether that influences the outcome of a trial or not .... My impression of the special prosecutor in the Martin case was that he applied himself to losing. Hard to say what goes on politically behind the scenes.
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby portia » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:53 am

This is a related issue.o
There is a device that can be fired int the rear of a car, that will tell the police where the car is, so that no following is necessary.

There are problems:
What if the thief being followed just takes off and leaves the car? How do you catch him?
Or the opposite: what if he a friends set up a trap?

Someone has not thought this through.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:15 am

The LAPD is rolling out its cameras, today. There is a controversy over who can or should have access to the videos and when. I think I might be in favor of requiring activists to view the videos that show incidents where there is NO accusation of misconduct. It might re-orient their views.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Minardil » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:49 am

portia wrote:This is a related issue.o
There is a device that can be fired int the rear of a car, that will tell the police where the car is, so that no following is necessary.

There are problems:
What if the thief being followed just takes off and leaves the car? How do you catch him?
Or the opposite: what if he a friends set up a trap?

Someone has not thought this through.

I think the idea is to cut down on high speed chases, which are inherently dangerous to everyone involved, including other motorists and bystanders who probably don't WANT to be involved.
Minardil
Mariner

Postby portia » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:30 am

Yes, I am sure that is part of it, but--generally speaking-- the chasee does NOT slow down, once he knows he is being chased.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:41 am

portia wrote:The LAPD is rolling out its cameras, today. There is a controversy over who can or should have access to the videos and when. I think I might be in favor of requiring activists to view the videos that show incidents where there is NO accusation of misconduct. It might re-orient their views.

If I understand correctly, the ACLU wants to stop the funding until there is more--possibly unlimited-- access to the recordings. This is a case where you are better off with part, and work for expansion of that part. I think the ACLU would be very unhappy if the Justice Dept. stopped the funding.

The recent video of a policeman who wished the woman a nice day after she basically said she was surprised all the police were not shot is an example of what might be lost in the shuffle if only the confrontations are shown. It needs to be shown.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:50 am

There was an incident of a LAPD vs Woman with a knife(?) over the weekend.

The police were wearing cameras, so we should have a definite idea of the knife issue soon.
If the cameras show no real threats from the knife, there will be one reaction: if there was a threat, what will the people who claim she was not armed with a knife say?

We may need a real discussion of the discrepancies between witness statements and other info.

There may be a need to think about instances where witnesses say "he was shot in the back" but no such injury exists, or "there was no knife" when the video shows a knife, clearly. Should such people get prosecuted? There are some cases where false reports have gotten people into trouble.
portia
Ringbearer

Previous

Return to Philosophy: Councils of Manwë