Recent developements in vaccinations

Manwë was known for many things, but wisdom and power are two that lead the rest of his attributes. Join the Councils and discuss the more weighty matters of Tolkien Fandom.

Recent developements in vaccinations

Postby portia » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:12 pm

This week, I had a flu and a Shingles vaccination. I wanted to discuss the Pneumonia vaccination as it was unclear to me when I should have it and how often, but since they didn't have it, anyway, I put it off.
That got me thinking about vaccinations, generally. And especially the new research that some--very subtle--signs of Autism can be detected very early (for example before the child has any vaccinations).
What effect will this research have on the fears of parents concerning vaccinations?

How about Measles? I recall very clearly what a time I had fighting off the Measles. I also recall the March of Dimes campaigns against polio, threats to close public swimming pools because of the danger, and a scare my mother had with what might have been a mild case. We never for sure fond out. And I recall how our Dr (who had contracted Polio as an adult) virtually dragged all of into his office for vaccination. If we had refused, I think he would have told us to get another Dr.

Many new parents have no clue about any of these things. But they should learn.
portia
Ringbearer

Re: Recent developements in vaccinations

Postby Griffon64 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:52 am

This week, I had a flu and a Shingles vaccination. I wanted to discuss the Pneumonia vaccination as it was unclear to me when I should have it and how often, but since they didn't have it, anyway, I put it off.
That got me thinking about vaccinations, generally. And especially the new research that some--very subtle--signs of Autism can be detected very early (for example before the child has any vaccinations).
What effect will this research have on the fears of parents concerning vaccinations?

Depends on what group you're talking about. For one group I'd say about as much effect as prior research bringing the purported link into question. In other words, none. The vast majority, if not all, of those vaccine "truthers" are in the mind space where research and facts have no effect.

For thoughtful, intelligent parents who may have that worry? I'd hope it would help set their minds at ease.

Many new parents have no clue about any of these things. But they should learn.

Absolutely. But the trouble with things like vaccinations, antibiotics and, heck, things like clean drinking water and sewerage, is that it takes most people only a short time to "get used" to them, take them for granted, not understand how they work or what it is like to be without, and then start behaving as if it is somehow their "right" that those things will always be there, no matter what they may do to undermine them.

I have no idea how to treat that specific strain of stupid in the human race.

PS: I recently had a TDAP vaccine because of whooping cough concerns in the area. Man, does that thing hurt! Not in the moment, but the days afterwards.
Griffon64
Mariner

Postby portia » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:56 am

There is a spreading measles infestation in Orange County, CA. Not all of the victims were not vaccinated, but most were not vaccinated.
Last edited by portia on Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Jnyusa » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:54 pm

Really, portia? That's really concerning if a measles vaccine is failing.
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby portia » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:33 pm

Yes: I do not recall the #s but a handful were vaccinated. I think it needs a booster shot, maybe that is what they missed.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Frelga » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:54 pm

Measles require a booster. When done on schedule, the vaccine is highly effective. Here, we had an unvaccinated university student commute on a train for a week with measles and take classes, and the only other case was an unvaccinated young man in the same household. That even though measles is one of the most contagious diseases around.

Some of the cases from the Orange County outbreak were reported as too young to be vaccinated.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Jnyusa » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:21 pm

Yeah, I seem to recall there being more than one round. My kids had measles shots, but when I was a kid they didn't yet have vaccines against all varieties of measles. I still remember having the measles, lying on the living room couch and being too sick even to watch TV.

I should check my doctor about that, though. She put me through a battery of vaccinations this Fall because of my working on the hospital campus, but measles weren't one of them. Chances are that whatever is out there now is not something I'm immune to. Following the 9/11 attacks I read somewhere that we should all be vaccinated against smallpox again because the immunities expire. Lovely.
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby Frelga » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:13 pm

I've actually no idea what I'm vaccinated against. The practice was to round up the whole classroom and have the school nurse put a needle into each little butt. But I don't know anyone who bad measles or mumps, so they must have covered us.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby portia » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:51 am

I clearly recall the Measles and Chicken pox (UGH!). I also recall the Mumps, which I did not get until College.
People who do not vaccinate their kids mystify me. But, it seems like a whole lot of Orange County parents are learning their lesson.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Frelga » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:26 pm

I had the chicken pox (wasn't that bad, but the scars did not fade until well into my thirties), but measles and the rest passed me by.

So apparently some parents feel that it is better to expose their child to measles and let them experience all the "fun" of fever, rash, and risk of complications, not to mention the risk of seriously harming babies, pregnant women and people with damaged immune systems, than it is to give them a vaccine. The level of confusion here is quite breathtaking.

California officials warn against ‘measles parties’
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby portia » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:55 am

Measles parties used to be quite the thing, until the vaccination came out. I caught mine the old fashioned way.

To all people who are in the path of the storms: I sympathize. I was in Annapolis from Jan 27 until feb10 and it was COLD, even though we didn't get much snow. My son, raised in CA, said he wanted more snow. I didn't have time to schedule a psych appointment for him.
I am back in CA, now. Ironically, I too am hoping for snow, here.( But ours melts off the streets in a day or two and temps are still in the 40s).
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Jnyusa » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:58 am

We're looking at sub-zero for most of the coming week, starting today. Want to come for a visit, portia? :twisted:

The number of ' doctor notes' from students is starting to rise but none so far for the infamous diseases.
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby portia » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:25 am

Only if you can ship the snow, undamaged and unmelted, to CA.

My son is taking an online course at UMUC which has a 5-7 page paper due this week. Since there are no distractions this weekend, he should be able to do it.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby MerriadocBrandybuck » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:17 am

Jnyusa wrote:Really, portia? That's really concerning if a measles vaccine is failing.

No vaccines are 100% effective, which is why herd immunity is so important, and idiots who don't vaccinate their kids are a plague on society.
MerriadocBrandybuck
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:59 pm

From what I read, measles vaccine is 99% effective after 2 doses, which means out of 100 vaccinated people exposed to measles 1 will get sick. Measles is airborne and hangs around for hours, so the guy who rode on public transit here, or ate in a restaurant, could easily have exposed hundreds.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Return to Philosophy: Councils of Manwë