The Ferguson non-indictment

Manwë was known for many things, but wisdom and power are two that lead the rest of his attributes. Join the Councils and discuss the more weighty matters of Tolkien Fandom.

Re: The Ferguson non-indictment

Postby Voronwe_the_Faithful » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:50 am

I wish that were the case, but it is not. The city and police administration tried their best to hide the video altogether, and never would have charged the officer if the reporters and the attorney for Mr. McDonald hadn't gotten a judge to force the release of the video. There are no other witnesses other than the other police officers present, and the police made up a story that contradicts the video that they had. The police commissioner (who approved the press release with the completely false version of events) has now been fired, but I wouldn't be surprised if this eventually forces Mayor Emanual out too. This is corruption on an unimaginable scale.
Voronwe_the_Faithful
Mariner

Postby portia » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:13 am

And certainly the PERCEPTION in the Black Community is that EVERY encounter with the police, even the most routine traffic stop, has the potential to turn deadly in an instant, and many black parents feel the need to teach their son's how to behave when talking to a cop, just so they don't get shot, and this is something I never had to learn when I was growing up, nor have I felt the need to give my own 14 year old son any such instruction.
{That is a quote}

I was never given any such instruction. (Part is that I am female). Instead, I was instructed to treat adults with civility. No taunting; no posing; no teasing; no pushing to some imaginary limit.
And, gee, how surprising, I had no trouble with the police. (Now, of course, that I am senior citizen, I have other issues.) Maybe some of the young men who are worried about the police should try behaving to the police as if the police were some favorite relative, not as if they were in a contest to see who could lose his temper, first. (Of course, the reverse is true, too. Both side need to learn civilized behavior)
portia
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:29 pm

Voronwe_the_Faithful wrote:I wish that were the case, but it is not. The city and police administration tried their best to hide the video altogether, and never would have charged the officer if the reporters and the attorney for Mr. McDonald hadn't gotten a judge to force the release of the video. There are no other witnesses other than the other police officers present, and the police made up a story that contradicts the video that they had. The police commissioner (who approved the press release with the completely false version of events) has now been fired, but I wouldn't be surprised if this eventually forces Mayor Emanual out too. This is corruption on an unimaginable scale.

I disagree, as there was always the investigations --flawed as it probably was. It could as easily be brought up--to about the same effect 35 years from now. About the only change is that the police man had more time to raise the amount of his bail. However, I do agree that the time that passed was suspicious, although I can't imagine anyone expecting that it would stay secret. Corruption seems too strong a word. How about "stupidity" or "blindness." But, I also think that we should not forget the need of protesters to create--if it does not already exist--an opportunity for political leverage--that chance to say "see how powerful we are--we forced a change." However, no chief of police should have signed off on such nonsense.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Voronwe_the_Faithful » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:32 pm

I would go with stupid and blind, except for the fact that it was suppressed through Emmanual's reelection campaign. I think I will stick with corruption. As the Washington Post says, Rahm Emanuel is in deep, deep trouble
Voronwe_the_Faithful
Mariner

Previous

Return to Philosophy: Councils of Manwë