Hacking private emails and websites and then revealing them

Manwë was known for many things, but wisdom and power are two that lead the rest of his attributes. Join the Councils and discuss the more weighty matters of Tolkien Fandom.

Hacking private emails and websites and then revealing them

Postby portia » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:48 am

It seems we are developing a cottage industry in hacking other people's private correspondence and then revealing it. Regardless of its news or even entertainment value.
Just because it was private and is now not so, some people get a voyeuristic thrill out of reading what the writer intended as private.

BOORRRING.

However, I will also add that anyone who has not figured out that emails and such are out there for anyone to read is not paying attention. And that if they want them to remain private, they should write letters and emails as if they expect to see them on the front page of the (for example) L.A. Times (in other words too boring to hack). Those who ignore this are taking his/her chances and I haven't a whole lot of sympathy.

I am sure that there are things in the world which deserve our attention and the media who re=publish this nonsense things have no justification.
portia
Ringbearer

Re: Hacking private emails and websites and then revealing t

Postby portia » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:20 am

Sony's reaction (to pull the movie) raises some interesting issues.

It is very bad to pull this movie. I understand that many theater chains were unwilling to show it, but there are a lot of theaters that are not part of chains and are obscure (such as my local theater) that could show it and the N.Koreans, or whoever, would not even be able to find the theater in time to do anything.

I am sure that there will be an online interest in the movie. I expect to search it out and add to its numbers.
Even if the showing is not exactly legal, I think that Sony has abandoned its copyright to the extent of allowing people to find other ways to see the movie.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Jnyusa » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:13 pm

The motivation behind this group that originally hacked Sony eludes me. I sort of get it that some radical contingent might target this particular movie, but the fact that Sony had already been hacked by them suggests to me that the target is Sony and not the movie. The movie is opportunistic because it is produced by Sony; and because of its content it misdirects the public into thinking there is a political agenda when the agenda is really something else. That's my take on it.

The threat against movie theaters is credible, I think, because they do lots of credit and debit card business. When a supposedly secure data base like that is breached, it creates a very expensive headache for the card companies and banks.
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby portia » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:59 am

Ah, yes, I had not considered the credit and debit card issue. A physical threat against the theaters is pretty unlikely, but a card threat is another matter.
portia
Ringbearer

Return to Philosophy: Councils of Manwë