Events in France

Manwë was known for many things, but wisdom and power are two that lead the rest of his attributes. Join the Councils and discuss the more weighty matters of Tolkien Fandom.

Re: Events in France

Postby Storyteller » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:04 pm

earendil81 wrote:I'm sorry for being late in my answer but I was away on a business trip.

Storyteller, you are exaggerating... I wasn't saying that being protected is a privilege, I was saying that they got protection when other religious buildings didn't and that it created resentment. You can't approach a synagogue without being automatically suspicious. That's all.

When people need to be protected, it is because someone is out to kill them. If that creates resentment, it's a rather disturbing commentary on the resenters' state of mind.

Incidentally there were two terrorist attacks prevented against churches this week in Paris. Still no security in front of these buildings though.

Give it enough attacks, and there will be. Maybe sooner than you think. Assuming it is at all realistic for the French army's manpower to cover all of their churches, that is.

It's turning a part of the public space into a private one and making it a space where freedom has no place. You're being made to feel that you have no right to be there even though it's the street. I don't know if that makes sense. I would feel exactly the same - I hope :P - if military personnel in front of a church asked me every time I went to a service why I was going in. Part of me wants to answer "it's none of your business". Last week someone required firefighters' intervention right next to the synagogue nearby. The person had to be moved through the window with the ladder. The truck wasn't allowed to park in front of the building; they had to do the intervention from the other side of the street. That I find ridiculous. Not to say it was a demand from the rabbi - I don't see why it would be in fact - but it's pushing things a little too far. What if that person was in danger of dying? It probably wasn't the case mind you.

Honestly? I am fascinated that you can type it all up without a hint of irony. It's a staggering display of wounded privilege.

It's no wonder that three quarters of all French Jews are considering emigration, and statisticians expect a quarter of a million French Jews to move to Israel over the next 15 years.
"...Their aim in war with Germany is nothing more, nothing less than extermination of Hitlerism... There is absolutely no justification for this kind of war. The ideology of Hitlerism, just like any other ideological system, can be accepted or rejected, this is a matter of political views. But everyone grasps, that an ideology can not be exterminated by force, must not be finished off with a war.” - Vyacheslav Molotov, ""On the Foreign Policy of the Soviet Union", 31 October 1939
Storyteller
Mariner

Postby earendil81 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:38 am

Ok so I'm missing something here... whatever.
You're just making me feel stupid and I don't even know why. Not a good feeling. I guess I should have avoided this forum as always.

I thought - and obviously I was wrong - that we live under the assumption that everyone is innocent until proven guilty. Right now everyone is guilty until proven innocent and I'm sorry but that is entirely wrong and against the law as it stands in most Occidental societies.

I agree with Benjamin Franklin when he said "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." It's actually got nothing to do with a community or another.
So I want to understand how saying that I believe freedom is more important than security prompts you to say.

It's no wonder that three quarters of all French Jews are considering emigration, and statisticians expect a quarter of a million French Jews to move to Israel over the next 15 years.

Actually scratch that, I don't want to anymore

I'm not saying I'm not privileged. I'm perfectly aware that I grew up in an easy place, with parents who stuck together and who allowed us to study whatever we wanted. I haven't known that much violence - apart from a few terrorist attacks in Paris that I was never really close to - and the only discrimination I ever encountered was actually in Quebec because I was French (Go figure!). And a few times for being a Christian white girl by people from other communities. I'll skip on some of the lovely words people used because since I'm white it's not racism.

But don't treat me like some stupid little girl who has no clue.
I learned a long time ago that I know nothing and I'm always willing to learn but you're being condescending and you don't even bother explaining your points. You're not taking the time to show me where my explanation lacks or is weak - I'm willing to hear about that - you're merely calling me stupid and that is both insulting and infuriating. Thanks, I guess I now know that I was never as clever as people thought.

So I'm done with this discussion and I leave you to being a major jerk with other people.
Cheers
Never forgetting those who have passed into the West :rose:

Sharing a story with Rholarowyn: Once There Were Words

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party
Fan of Redemption: the Reckoning

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.

It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Storyteller » Sat May 02, 2015 9:55 am

40 Person Mob Assaults 2 Jews on Paris’ Boulevard Voltaire

Two Jewish residents of Paris were assaulted on the street by a gang of about 40 people on Friday, Israeli French JSS News reported on Friday.

The attack against the two Jewish residents, both in their 20s, occurred about 2:30 p.m. on Boulevard Voltaire in Paris’ 11 arrondissement, according to the report.

Police launched an investigation into the incident and warned local Jewish businesses owners to be extra vigilant, JSS News said.

Witnesses on the scene said members of the Jewish community volunteered to watch over the many local Jewish businesses on Boulevard Voltaire, according to French antisemitism watchdog group the Bureau National de Vigilance Contre l’Antisemitisme.

The gang of attackers were associated with anti-Israel groups Gaza Firm and the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions campaign, said security personnel responsible for protecting the Jewish community.

The attack marks the latest in a growing antisemitic trend in France and Europe as a whole. Earlier this year, Islamist gunmen seized a Kosher supermarket in Paris and killed four Jewish hostages. Just a few weeks later, a security guard was killed in Copenhagen when a lone gunman opened fire in front of the city’s Great Synagogue.

In 2006, a French Jew was kidnapped from his cell phone store from the same Boulevard Voltaire, tortured and ultimately killed.
"...Their aim in war with Germany is nothing more, nothing less than extermination of Hitlerism... There is absolutely no justification for this kind of war. The ideology of Hitlerism, just like any other ideological system, can be accepted or rejected, this is a matter of political views. But everyone grasps, that an ideology can not be exterminated by force, must not be finished off with a war.” - Vyacheslav Molotov, ""On the Foreign Policy of the Soviet Union", 31 October 1939
Storyteller
Mariner

Previous

Return to Philosophy: Councils of Manwë