This winter in the Northeast

Manwë was known for many things, but wisdom and power are two that lead the rest of his attributes. Join the Councils and discuss the more weighty matters of Tolkien Fandom.

This winter in the Northeast

Postby portia » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:42 am

Well, what can one say?

A random thought that goes through my head is that what if the first and/or first and second winters after1620 had been like this? what would the Pilgrims have done, aside from freezing? What effect would it have had on the settling of America?
portia
Ringbearer

Re: This winter in the Northeast

Postby Jnyusa » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:02 pm

LOL, think how history would be different!

Though I was thinking today that we got off pretty lightly this winter, compared to what we were expecting. In Philadelphia at least we've only had one week of below-zero weather, and it was below zero only because of the wind chill factor (though that put it at 18 degrees below on one morning, which is bad enough to complain about). We were expecting 6 feet of snow and only got about 6 inches. The Midwest fared much worse than we did ... and the South, of course, which isn't really prepared for successive snow/ice storms like the ones they've been getting.

I had a skype conference this morning with a colleague in Costa Rica. How depressing is that?! One guy is in an office with sunshine and a gentle breeze blowing through the windows and the rest of us are huddled in our downy vests, trying to keep our fingers unfrozen enough to use the keyboard. >-O
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby MerriadocBrandybuck » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:09 am

Coldest month in recorded history in CT with an average temperature of 15.9F. Next coldest was 1934
MerriadocBrandybuck
Ranger of the North

Postby ILvEowyn » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:12 am

In western New York, it's been pretty rough, although we're known for rough winters. Still, that 8 feet of snow in 3 days (literally) that Buffalo got in November is a lot, even for them!
ILvEowyn
Ringbearer

Postby OhtarAranel » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:48 pm

Ha, I've also had this same thought as we missed yet another day of school today for ice and are looking towards a week of goodness-only-knows weather. Thank goodness for central heating!
OhtarAranel
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Griffon64 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:17 pm

Meanwhile, we're a tad parched and overheated in California. Someone snag that jet stream and kink it down our way already! There is no snow on the mountains where I'm at, and that isn't natural for this time of year.
Griffon64
Mariner

Postby Jnyusa » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:52 pm

I spoke too soon on behalf of inoffensive weather in Philly. We got our storm alright ... and it were a kick in the pants. The 10-day forecasts of two weeks ago said this last week would be temps in the 40s, and instead we got temps down in the one-digits and 6-8 inches of snow. Oh man, I hate it when the worst weather comes at the very end and especially when we were led to expect something completely different.
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby portia » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:36 pm

It looks like there is a thaw, but I hope it is not too fast, as that will cause flooding.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby MerriadocBrandybuck » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:07 pm

portia wrote:It looks like there is a thaw, but I hope it is not too fast, as that will cause flooding.

Has snowed here for 16 straight hours.

Has been just near or above freezing all day, so no accumulation on the roads, but 4 inches in the yard
MerriadocBrandybuck
Ranger of the North

Postby Portia1 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:42 am

On our local TV weather, there was a chart that showed what parts of the world were above average and which were below. The ONLY part that was below average was the USA Northeast. Since the chart was in color, the difference was clear. It was as if one of those old fashioned weather gods was breathing on you,alone.

(Sniff. I miss all that jewelry, up there by my old name.
IS THERE ANY WAY THAT PROBLEM CAN BE CORRECTED?)

Assuming that a Mod can correct the issue, how do I contact one? I can't find a "button"?
Portia1
Petitioner to the Council

Postby MerriadocBrandybuck » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:47 am

snowing again....
MerriadocBrandybuck
Ranger of the North

Postby White Shadow » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:59 am

Portia1 wrote:(Sniff. I miss all that jewelry, up there by my old name.
IS THERE ANY WAY THAT PROBLEM CAN BE CORRECTED?)

Assuming that a Mod can correct the issue, how do I contact one? I can't find a "button"?

Hi portia. I should think that it could be corrected. Sadly, I'm not able to do it, but if you get in touch with one of the other mods (Daefaroth is a good bet) or just email the generic mod email address (remembering to put TORC obviously in the subject line, otherwise it'll get lost in a mass of spam) then I'm sure it can be corrected and you can be let back into your original "portia" account.

See this Who are the mods? thread for email addresses.

~*~*~*~*~
White Shadow
White Council Moderator
White Shadow
Shield Bearer

Postby Portia1 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:47 pm

Thank you. I emailed.
Portia1
Petitioner to the Council

Return to Philosophy: Councils of Manwë