How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Manwë was known for many things, but wisdom and power are two that lead the rest of his attributes. Join the Councils and discuss the more weighty matters of Tolkien Fandom.

DO YOU ACCEPT JESUS'S FREE GIFT OF SALVATION?

YES
1
13%
NO
3
38%
I ALREADY PRAYED/ACCEPTED JESUS CHRIST AS MY SAVIOR
3
38%
OTHER
1
13%
 
Total votes : 8

How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby Lazarus II » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:27 pm

ARE YOU 100% SURE THAT IF YOU DIED TODAY THAT YOU WOULD GO TO HEAVEN?

There are some things that you should know:

1. Realize that you are a sinner and in need of a Savior:

Ro 3:23 "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;"

Ro 3:10 "As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:"

This all began with the story of Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden. God created them perfect, there was no death or sorrow. God told them not to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. They disobeyed God and as a result, sin entered into the world. The pain which this world sees is the result of sin.

2. Because of our sins, we die both spiritually and physically, but God sent His Son to die so that you can have a chance not to have to go to hell by accepting what He did on the cross for you:

Ro 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

Ro 5:8 "But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. for us."

Every person who has ever lived is a sinner and is not righteous because we do bad things. A sin is a crime against God, just as if you steal something at the store, it is punishable by going to jail. It's the same thing with sin. Even if we lie one time, the punishment is hell, which is a prison for those who commit crimes against God. That’s because you must be perfect in order to get to heaven. No matter how well you live your life from then on, you have already committed a sin which will be punished if you are not pardoned. If you commit a crime, and then live as a good citizen you still will go to jail for the crime you committed. Right? Just as the president can pardon a crime so you won't go to jail, Jesus can pardon your sins so that you do not go to hell, and can go to heaven when you die.

3. If you will Admit to Jesus Christ that you are a sinner and in need of a Savior, Believe in your heart that He died on the cross and rose from the dead and Accept Him as your Lord and Savior and you will be forgiven and taken to heaven to be with Him when you die.

Joh 1:12 “But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name”

Ro 10:9,10 "that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.."

You cannot get to heaven by being a good person, going to church, baptism or any other way other than by turning to Jesus, believing in your heart that He died on the cross and rose from the dead for your sins and placing your trust in Him. While these are good things to do, some people believe that they will get to heaven if they do these things, but the bible says that there is only one way to heaven and that is through receiving what Jesus Christ did on the cross for you.

Will you do that today? If you will, you can be 100% sure that you will go to heaven when you die.

DO YOU BELIEVE THAT JESUS CHRIST DIED ON THE CROSS AND ROSE FROM THE DEAD FOR YOUR SINS?

ARE YOU WILLING TO TURN TO JESUS CHRIST FOR SALVATION?

4. If you are willing to accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and believe it with all of your heart, you could pray something like this to God from your heart:

"Dear Lord Jesus, I believe that You died on the Cross and Rose from the dead for my sins. I ask you to come into my heart and forgive me for my sins, save me, take me to be with You when I die. I now receive You as my Lord and Savior. Thank You for saving me. In Jesus holy name, Amen."

If you have placed your faith in Jesus Christ and meant it with all of your heart, you are now a child of God and will go to heaven.

Now that you are on your way to heaven, you should attend a bible believing church and follow in baptism.
Lazarus II
Petitioner to the Council
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:16 pm
Top

Re: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby Daefaroth » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:02 am

The report on this topic has been noted, and closed. However, this thread will be monitored.
The Poll header has been edited for length.


The Councils of Manwe cover a wide range of topics.

If you do not wish to weigh in on this subject, do not vote or reply.
Image
- - - - - Welcome to TORC - - - - -

- There are helpful Announcements at the top of most forums. Please read them.
- Need more help? Check the Adoption Forum.
- Premiere Membership helps support TORC.
....................................................................
Aspire not to rapid, large postcounts, for this only enhances the taste of a spammer,
when roasted with the Breath of Death and served with "Blair’s 16 Million Reserve" sauce.

....................................................................
Enjoy your visits. Remember to mind your manners.

Daefaroth *at* theonering -dot- com -OR- moderators *at* theonering -dot- com
User avatar
Daefaroth
The Shadow Hunter

 
Posts: 2698
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:38 pm
Top

Re: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby Billobob » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:29 am

Is this discussion or just trying to convert people. I'm all for witness but should you try to convert people on this forum? :?
User avatar
Billobob
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:50 am
Location: Greenwood the Great.
Top

Re: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby Lazarus II » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:56 pm

Billobob wrote:Is this discussion or just trying to convert people. I'm all for witness but should you try to convert people on this forum? :?


I would truly like honest discussion, but I also hope that many will accept Jesus Christ's free gift of salvation, believing in their heart that He died on the cross and rose from the dead for their sins. I guess the premise is to say "Here is the way to heaven or How to get to heaven when you die", do you agree or disagree and if you disagree, then what reason do you have for disagreeing?
Lazarus II
Petitioner to the Council
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:16 pm
Top

Re: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby Billobob » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:35 am

Is this forum informational or is it promotional? If you know what I mean. Also if this is mainly just for helping people to change their minds about Christianity,Jesus,etc. then your using the wrong medium since often people don't change even small opinions on the Internet let alone important ones like their worldview. But despite all this It is good to inform people about these things just be careful you don't sound pushy :).
User avatar
Billobob
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:50 am
Location: Greenwood the Great.
Top

Re: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby Lazarus II » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:32 pm

Billobob wrote:Is this forum informational or is it promotional? If you know what I mean. Also if this is mainly just for helping people to change their minds about Christianity,Jesus,etc. then your using the wrong medium since often people don't change even small opinions on the Internet let alone important ones like their worldview. But despite all this It is good to inform people about these things just be careful you don't sound pushy :).


It's both informational and promotional. I am informing people of what the true Gospel really is and I guess I am promoting it too. I realize that not everyone is going to change their mind, but some will and some have been thinking about it for a long time and will make that commitment. Some will have questions that I will gladly answer if I possibly can. I believe that sharing the gospel with the world is my calling. My hope is that this discussion will be respectful at a minimum.
Lazarus II
Petitioner to the Council
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:16 pm
Top

Re: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby Billobob » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:33 am

Lazurus 2 said:
It's both informational and promotional. I am informing people of what the true Gospel really is and I guess I am promoting it too. I realize that not everyone is going to change their mind, but some will and some have been thinking about it for a long time and will make that commitment. Some will have questions that I will gladly answer if I possibly can. I believe that sharing the gospel with the world is my calling. My hope is that this discussion will be respectful at a minimum


Well good for you :). I hope people ask you questions.
User avatar
Billobob
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:50 am
Location: Greenwood the Great.
Top

Re: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby oldtoby » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:37 pm

Does it involve taking a left turn at Albuquerque?
User avatar
oldtoby
Ringbearer

 
Posts: 15263
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2002 10:40 pm
Top

Re: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:32 pm

I have a question, and I mean it respectfully. But I'm curious about your answer. If I've already accepted Jesus Christ as my savior and am on the way to heaven, why should I go to church, read the Bible, participate in a Bible study group, or be baptized? What I mean is, if I'm already on my way to heaven, why should I do those other things? I hope the question doesn't come off as annoying, because I certainly don't mean it to be.
User avatar
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

 
Posts: 13653
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:46 pm
Location: Over there!
Top

Re: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby Billobob » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:40 am

Lalaith-Elerrina wrote:I have a question, and I mean it respectfully. But I'm curious about your answer. If I've already accepted Jesus Christ as my savior and am on the way to heaven, why should I go to church, read the Bible, participate in a Bible study group, or be baptized? What I mean is, if I'm already on my way to heaven, why should I do those other things? I hope the question doesn't come off as annoying, because I certainly don't mean it to be.


That's actually a really good question. Why should we got to church? The main reason people go to church even though they've been saved is that everyone can eventually stray from the lord if we're not careful and if we're not thinking of God. I'm not saying you need a church to do this but it does help to be around fellow believers. As for the baptism part baptism is mainly a public declaration of you accepting Jesus. All in all going to church just helps us to remember and meditate on God. If you can do that on your own then I guess you really don't have to go to church, but it is nice to be in a community of believers. Sorry for the ramble. :lol:
User avatar
Billobob
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:50 am
Location: Greenwood the Great.
Top

Re: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby portia » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:02 pm

There is a problem, here. How do you KNOW you are saved? Many people have been sure they have been saved, when no one else thought so. For a variety of reasons.
As far as I can tell, no one is hurt by Bible study, church attendance, etc. So, why not?
User avatar
portia
Ringbearer

 
Posts: 10841
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:57 pm
Location: Lost in the forest
Top

Re: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby Billobob » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:15 pm

portia wrote:There is a problem, here. How do you KNOW you are saved? Many people have been sure they have been saved, when no one else thought so. For a variety of reasons.
As far as I can tell, no one is hurt by Bible study, church attendance, etc. So, why not?


Well for the first sentence I would say you know you are saved when you have a relationship with God, when you've accepted his sacrifice, and you're letting it change you. As for the second sentence thanks for summing up everything I was trying to say in one sentence :).
User avatar
Billobob
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:50 am
Location: Greenwood the Great.
Top

Re: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby Lazarus II » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:39 pm

oldtoby wrote:Does it involve taking a left turn at Albuquerque?


Ha ha ha...nope, but that's a good one!
Lazarus II
Petitioner to the Council
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:16 pm
Top

Re: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby Lazarus II » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:41 pm

Lalaith-Elerrina wrote:I have a question, and I mean it respectfully. But I'm curious about your answer. If I've already accepted Jesus Christ as my savior and am on the way to heaven, why should I go to church, read the Bible, participate in a Bible study group, or be baptized? What I mean is, if I'm already on my way to heaven, why should I do those other things? I hope the question doesn't come off as annoying, because I certainly don't mean it to be.


This is a fair question and it's pretty common actually. Well, if you have truly committed your life to Jesus, you should want to please Him and have a desire to serve Him. While it is true that those things do not save a person's soul and we aren't doing those things to be saved, we should do them because we already are saved. A Christian will never truly have a fulfilling life outside of the will of God.
Lazarus II
Petitioner to the Council
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:16 pm
Top

Re: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby Lazarus II » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:45 pm

portia wrote:There is a problem, here. How do you KNOW you are saved? Many people have been sure they have been saved, when no one else thought so. For a variety of reasons.
As far as I can tell, no one is hurt by Bible study, church attendance, etc. So, why not?


I know that I am saved because the Bible says that If I will confess (Jesus) with my mouth and believe in my heart that God has raised Him from the dead, I will be saved. It goes on to say that whoever will call upon the name of the Lord will be saved. That's what the Prayer is about.

Secondly, I have God's presence with Me and His Holy Spirit confirms to my spirit that I am His child. He communes with me daily.
Lazarus II
Petitioner to the Council
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:16 pm
Top

Re: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby JewelSong » Sat May 09, 2015 8:44 am

Lazarus II wrote:
Lalaith-Elerrina wrote:I have a question, and I mean it respectfully. But I'm curious about your answer. If I've already accepted Jesus Christ as my savior and am on the way to heaven, why should I go to church, read the Bible, participate in a Bible study group, or be baptized? What I mean is, if I'm already on my way to heaven, why should I do those other things? I hope the question doesn't come off as annoying, because I certainly don't mean it to be.


A Christian will never truly have a fulfilling life outside of the will of God.


Huh. What about a Hindu? A Buddhist? How about a Sikh or a Jain? What about the Muslims and the Jews?

Seems to me that this "being saved" business is pretty narrowly focused. Do you believe that God, the Infinite Divine, is truly that narrow and small?



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
User avatar
JewelSong
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 4633
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:31 am
Top

Re: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby JewelSong » Sat May 09, 2015 8:44 am

Lazarus II wrote:
Lalaith-Elerrina wrote:I have a question, and I mean it respectfully. But I'm curious about your answer. If I've already accepted Jesus Christ as my savior and am on the way to heaven, why should I go to church, read the Bible, participate in a Bible study group, or be baptized? What I mean is, if I'm already on my way to heaven, why should I do those other things? I hope the question doesn't come off as annoying, because I certainly don't mean it to be.


A Christian will never truly have a fulfilling life outside of the will of God.


Huh. What about a Hindu? A Buddhist? How about a Sikh or a Jain? What about the Muslims and the Jews?

Seems to me that this "being saved" business is pretty narrowly focused. Do you believe that God, the Infinite Divine, is truly that narrow and small?



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
User avatar
JewelSong
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 4633
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:31 am
Top

Re: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby Billobob » Mon May 11, 2015 8:43 am

Thule might be getting off topic but I believe it should be addressed. Many different religions contradict each other for example: Islam states that Jesus was just a good prophet while Christianity says he was God. That was just one example the thing is if you say that all religions work you'll have to blend them together to get rid of the contradictions- like Hellenism in the Roman Empire. So if we try to make all religions work they cease to be what they are now and will turn into a form agnosticism that people believe there is a higher power but aren't sure of anything about it.
User avatar
Billobob
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:50 am
Location: Greenwood the Great.
Top

Re: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby MerriadocBrandybuck » Mon May 11, 2015 8:44 pm

No, don't believe any of it.
User avatar
MerriadocBrandybuck
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 4207
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2001 9:09 am
Top

Re: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby Billobob » Tue May 12, 2015 8:35 am

MerriadocBrandybuck wrote:No, don't believe any of it.

I assume you referring to my comment.
User avatar
Billobob
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:50 am
Location: Greenwood the Great.
Top

Re: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby Cerin » Tue May 12, 2015 11:53 am

I know that I am saved because the Bible says that If I will confess (Jesus) with my mouth and believe in my heart that God has raised Him from the dead, I will be saved.

You do not know that you are saved. You believe you are saved. You may be utterly convinced you are saved, but that isn't the same as knowing. That's what faith is all about -- having confidence in things that can't be known. You can correctly say, 'I'm sure I'll go to heaven when I die', but that also is not the same thing as knowing.


Seems to me that this "being saved" business is pretty narrowly focused. Do you believe that God, the Infinite Divine, is truly that narrow and small?

There's a confusion of ideas here. A narrow focus doesn't reflect the entirety or scope of the understanding of the one focusing. When you are communicating with someone, and are narrowly focused on the point you are trying to convey, does that mean there is nothing else in your head or in your soul, nothing else to your personhood, but the idea you're focused on? Of course not. It's the way you've chosen, to make the point you're trying to make.

Perhaps you mean, you don't care for the idea that the Infinite Divine would choose but one avenue through which to connect with humanity? As I think about it, one perfect, all sufficient and surpassingly excellent way seems more characteristic of an Infinite Divine to me, than a laundry basket approach that introduces (as Billobob pointed out) endless inconsistencies, the end result being that everyone just picks and chooses the ideas that appeal to them personally. They have, in effect, fashioned their own Infinite Divine (necessarily reflecting their own finite understanding).
User avatar
Cerin
Mariner

 
Posts: 7350
Joined: Tue May 02, 2000 12:52 am
Top

Re: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby Lazarus II » Tue May 12, 2015 2:06 pm

Cerin wrote:
I know that I am saved because the Bible says that If I will confess (Jesus) with my mouth and believe in my heart that God has raised Him from the dead, I will be saved.

You do not know that you are saved. You believe you are saved. You may be utterly convinced you are saved, but that isn't the same as knowing. That's what faith is all about -- having confidence in things that can't be known. You can correctly say, 'I'm sure I'll go to heaven when I die', but that also is not the same thing as knowing.


Seems to me that this "being saved" business is pretty narrowly focused. Do you believe that God, the Infinite Divine, is truly that narrow and small?

There's a confusion of ideas here. A narrow focus doesn't reflect the entirety or scope of the understanding of the one focusing. When you are communicating with someone, and are narrowly focused on the point you are trying to convey, does that mean there is nothing else in your head or in your soul, nothing else to your personhood, but the idea you're focused on? Of course not. It's the way you've chosen, to make the point you're trying to make.

Perhaps you mean, you don't care for the idea that the Infinite Divine would choose but one avenue through which to connect with humanity? As I think about it, one perfect, all sufficient and surpassingly excellent way seems more characteristic of an Infinite Divine to me, than a laundry basket approach that introduces (as Billobob pointed out) endless inconsistencies, the end result being that everyone just picks and chooses the ideas that appeal to them personally. They have, in effect, fashioned their own Infinite Divine (necessarily reflecting their own finite understanding).



1Jo 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may KNOW that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
Lazarus II
Petitioner to the Council
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:16 pm
Top

Re: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby MerriadocBrandybuck » Mon May 18, 2015 8:09 am

Billobob wrote:
MerriadocBrandybuck wrote:No, don't believe any of it.

I assume you referring to my comment.


All of it.

I don't believe Jesus was the son of God (naturally since I don't believe in any Gods in the first place)
I don't believe Jesus got himself killed (albeit for a brief 3 days) to appease himself and pay for our sins.
I don't believe there is a heaven, nor that we go anywhere when we die.
User avatar
MerriadocBrandybuck
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 4207
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2001 9:09 am
Top

Re: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby Billobob » Mon May 18, 2015 8:44 am

MerriadocBrandybuck wrote:
Billobob wrote:
MerriadocBrandybuck wrote:No, don't believe any of it.

I assume you referring to my comment.


All of it.

I don't believe Jesus was the son of God (naturally since I don't believe in any Gods in the first place)
I don't believe Jesus got himself killed (albeit for a brief 3 days) to appease himself and pay for our sins.
I don't believe there is a heaven, nor that we go anywhere when we die.


So in short you're not "religious" as some people might say it. I'm not going to attempt any sort of debate since I'm mainly just posting on this thread to inform.
User avatar
Billobob
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:50 am
Location: Greenwood the Great.
Top

Re: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby Lazarus II » Thu May 21, 2015 7:04 pm

JewelSong wrote:
Lazarus II wrote:
Lalaith-Elerrina wrote:I have a question, and I mean it respectfully. But I'm curious about your answer. If I've already accepted Jesus Christ as my savior and am on the way to heaven, why should I go to church, read the Bible, participate in a Bible study group, or be baptized? What I mean is, if I'm already on my way to heaven, why should I do those other things? I hope the question doesn't come off as annoying, because I certainly don't mean it to be.


A Christian will never truly have a fulfilling life outside of the will of God.


Huh. What about a Hindu? A Buddhist? How about a Sikh or a Jain? What about the Muslims and the Jews?

Seems to me that this "being saved" business is pretty narrowly focused. Do you believe that God, the Infinite Divine, is truly that narrow and small?



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


The hindus, buddhists, muslims sikhs and jains all believe that they are right and that everyone else is wrong. The Christians believe that Jesus Christ is the only way of salvation because that's what the Bible says. If you will kindly read this first post, it explains why only Christians can get to heaven. God is a perfect and righteous God. He cannot allow sin to enter into His Kingdom or else it would be corrupted with pain and suffering as this world is. Since we are all sinners, none of us are able to get there, so He sent His Only Son to come live a perfect life, be tortured and die in our place, so that anyone who places their faith in His sacrifice for our sins will be saved. Our punishment has already been paid, all He wants us to do is choose to accept His free gift of salvation, believing in our heart that He died on the cross and rose from the dead for our sins. That's why Christians are commanded to go into the world and preach the gospel. The Bible says that if we could be good enough to get to heaven on our own, then Christ died for nothing. Ga 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.
Lazarus II
Petitioner to the Council
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:16 pm
Top

Re: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby Frelga » Fri May 22, 2015 9:00 am

You are not making Christianity look in any way appealing to non-Christians. In large part this is because you display a complete lack of understanding of any other religion.

While of course everyone believes that their worldview is the right one, Christianity is practically unique in its model of permanent damnation or salvation that is dependent on the belief rather than actions. I do know it's more complicated, and that there is a range of beliefs within various Christian denominations, but that's what it looks like from the outside. No one else is saying, "Believe this way or you are going to Hell." (I'm not sure about Islam. I asked a Muslim poster, who was very thorough in his answer, but all I got was "It's complicated")

If you are trying to proselytize, your task is not to convince people that Jesus is the way to salvation. It is to convince them that salvation is in any way necessary in the first place.
Image
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
User avatar
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

 
Posts: 9221
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:05 pm
Top

Re: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby Lazarus II » Fri May 22, 2015 7:22 pm

Frelga wrote:You are not making Christianity look in any way appealing to non-Christians. In large part this is because you display a complete lack of understanding of any other religion.

While of course everyone believes that their worldview is the right one, Christianity is practically unique in its model of permanent damnation or salvation that is dependent on the belief rather than actions. I do know it's more complicated, and that there is a range of beliefs within various Christian denominations, but that's what it looks like from the outside. No one else is saying, "Believe this way or you are going to Hell." (I'm not sure about Islam. I asked a Muslim poster, who was very thorough in his answer, but all I got was "It's complicated")

If you are trying to proselytize, your task is not to convince people that Jesus is the way to salvation. It is to convince them that salvation is in any way necessary in the first place.


First of all, I never said "Believe this way or you are going to hell". muslims believe in eternal hell, after all, it's a forgery of Christianity copied and twisted from the Christian Bible. So, what you are saying is that everyone else is entitled to believe what they want, but since Christians believe in eternal hell, we aren't? So, if it doesn't feel good, then we shouldn't be allowed to believe it whether it's the actual truth or not? Christianity is unique and it's the only one that makes sense. If you read this first post, it explains why salvation isn't based on our works, but rather they are based on the finished work of Jesus Christ. There are many reasons for this, but the main one is that when a person DOES go to heaven, they will not be able to say that it's because THEY were good enough, but rather because JESUS CHRIST was good enough and saved them. That way, the glory goes to God and not man.
Lazarus II
Petitioner to the Council
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:16 pm
Top

Re: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby Frelga » Fri May 22, 2015 8:18 pm

You absolutely are allowed to believe whatever you want. I am simply pointing out, not that your beliefs are wrong, but that you are not likely to convince anyone who is not already a believer. Which seems to be your goal here. One of the reasons being the one I pointed out - you are not addressing the real points of difference.
Image
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
User avatar
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

 
Posts: 9221
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:05 pm
Top

Re: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby Cerin » Sat May 23, 2015 10:42 am

Frelga, such very good points you make! Indeed, if your neighbor doesn't believe their house is on fire, they're very unlikely to respond to your urgent protestations that they exit the house. You must first convince them of the danger.
User avatar
Cerin
Mariner

 
Posts: 7350
Joined: Tue May 02, 2000 12:52 am
Top

Re: How To Get To Heaven When You Die

Postby Lazarus II » Wed May 27, 2015 8:13 pm

Please take the time to read this first post and vote in the poll.
Lazarus II
Petitioner to the Council
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:16 pm
Top

Next

Return to Philosophy: Councils of Manwë

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron