Why do you think peaceful protests can turn into riots?

Manwë was known for many things, but wisdom and power are two that lead the rest of his attributes. Join the Councils and discuss the more weighty matters of Tolkien Fandom.

Why do you think peaceful protests can turn into riots?

Postby Billobob » Tue May 05, 2015 4:06 pm

With the recent events in Baltimore with the protests and everything I've been wondering why do peaceful protests turn into riots?

Note: I am not saying anything about the nature of the Baltimore protests that was just what made me think about this topic.
Billobob
Rider of the Mark

Re: Why do you think peaceful protests can turn into riots?

Postby Storyteller » Sat May 09, 2015 1:35 am

Genuine non-violent protests do not usually turn into riots.

They either get hijacked by people who are there for things other than peaceful protesting, or they are low-level violent events from the get go, defined down as "non-violence" due to media sympathy with the cause.
"...Their aim in war with Germany is nothing more, nothing less than extermination of Hitlerism... There is absolutely no justification for this kind of war. The ideology of Hitlerism, just like any other ideological system, can be accepted or rejected, this is a matter of political views. But everyone grasps, that an ideology can not be exterminated by force, must not be finished off with a war.” - Vyacheslav Molotov, ""On the Foreign Policy of the Soviet Union", 31 October 1939
Storyteller
Mariner

Re: Why do you think peaceful protests can turn into riots?

Postby Billobob » Mon May 11, 2015 8:38 am

Good point. Often when some people see a protest they think for some reason that it's a good opportunity to break stuff, rob stores, and just being a bad citizen in general.
Billobob
Rider of the Mark

Return to Philosophy: Councils of Manwë